2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

KjaAnd

I don’t mind him as a squad player and super sub but it’s near impossible to play football with him at CM.

He has all of the physical attributes to play the position but none of the mental. He doesn’t know how to position himself in the build-up nor how to shield the defence.

Gueye had a volley saved by Onana in a situation where Scott overcommitted in a duel due to him not understanding his job description. And that happens regularly.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
His current manager was happy to sell him. What job does he get done?
Not quite the case though, considering we rejected a bid from West Ham,
We certainly would have sold for his market value just like we would with a lot of players, but EtH certainly wasn't looking to actively sell and was happy to keep him by all accounts.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because he's got bollocks that's why and when the going gets tough, he fights for the club I support. Some players on the other hand, do the complete opposite, which is why we find ourselves in a shitty position year in year out.
Having poor quality midfielders is part of the reason why the going seems to get tough more often for us than other top sides and we find ourselves in a shitty position year in year out. It’s because first and foremost, we’re not as good as the other teams.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His current manager was happy to sell him. What job does he get done?
Physicality, energy, good runs forward, big aerial strength, aggressive. He's not perfect by any means, but you need a more aggressive player next to a deep playmaker like Mainoo and he did the role well today. It's either McTominay or Casemiro as one of the deep 2, and one of Mainoo, Eriksen or Amrabat as the partner. Given injuries, it's a no brainer right now and a good balance.

NoPace

Exactly. He’s a perfect player for some footballing terrorist midtable side that just wants to commit fouls and muck everything up as he could do that then pop up with a goal when charging into the box. But he’s utterly horrific for any forward thinking progressive side and it annoys me to no end that Ten Hag both saw fit to keep him from leaving this summer and now incessantly starting him. It’s unnecessarily pragmatic
Agreed.

Don't really know why he started today over Amrabat. He was alright, didn't really stand out positively or negatively. Same as Bruno and actually as Mainoo (but he of course gets a different evaluation because it was his debut).
I think it made sense for help on defending set pieces, which does matter against a Dyche team. I think McTominay has a role to play here this year (particularly whenever Casemiro is unavailable), but also we should have sold him last summer and bought Crystal Palace's Doucoure or paid Thuram those big wages on a free like Villa did, and then instead of panic buying Casemiro we'd have been able to just buy a #8 to play between that DM and Bruno.

NZT-One

Mourinho on McTominay:

“He’s a special character, a special personality that a team in a negative moment needs," he added. “Do my other players have that mentality? Not all of them. Everybody is a different person.

“Scott McTominay is a kid with a special character, very humble, aggressive in a positive way, brave, he’s a special kid."

https://www.besoccer.com/new/mourinho-hails-special-mctominay-511195
Didn't Mourinho use him to give a feck up to the higher ups for not giving him a centre back? Don't really value that kind of arguments very much, what managers say into the camera might not be what they really think and also might be twisted understanding of the whole issue - McTom might not be the worst player we got through all those years but this is only a relative perspective and doesn't tell you much about the actual quality - not being the worst of a bad bunch isn't something that should give you praise.

Physicality, energy, good runs forward, big aerial strength, aggressive. He's not perfect by any means, but you need a more aggressive player next to a deep playmaker like Mainoo and he did the role well today. It's either McTominay or Casemiro as one of the deep 2, and one of Mainoo, Eriksen or Amrabat as the partner. Given injuries, it's a no brainer right now and a good balance.
I always wonder, what this means? Where is the energy? What is meant with that? Is it the "don't give up" attitude from the one game a few weeks ago or something else?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
How do you play someone as a 10 when he doesn’t even pass the ball more than 10 times.
You are obviously spot on. And you are also assuming rational thinking and facts win over passionate feelings, on forums. Now why would you assume such thing? :)

NewGlory

I know he was on the pitch today, but I would be hard pressed to say what he actually did. I think he get lost in CM, which is an odd thing to say about a midfielder. He’s much better further forward.
Further forward - where? He is not a winger since he doesn't pass and he is not nearly good enough as a solo striker. He may have an occasional outburst in the box, getting you a match-winning goal, but that is not really a position in modern football, is it? Maybe if we played with two strikers he could be the second one, but short of that I am failing too see how else we could use McT 90 minutes of the game, and not just for 5-10. He is an impact player, probably better as a sub than as a starter

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Further forward - where? He isq definitely not a winger since he can't pass and he is not nearly good enough for a striker. He may have an occasional outburst in the box, getting you a match-winning goal, but that is not really a position in modern football, is it? Maybe if we played with two strikers, but failing too see how else we could use McT 90 minutes of the game, and not just for 5-10. He is an impact player, probably better as a sub than as a starter
I meant more attacking MF than DM. He goes missing when tasked with defending, like today when he was totally overshadowed by an 18 yr old kid. You’re probably right about him being a better sub than a starter.

NewGlory

I meant more attacking MF than DM. He goes missing when tasked with defending, like today when he was totally overshadowed by an 18 yr old kid. You’re probably right about him being a better sub than a starter.
Ah ok. Yes, he has been better as #8. McT as #6 was a disaster :)

clarkydaz

I know he was on the pitch today, but I would be hard pressed to say what he actually did. I think he get lost in CM, which is an odd thing to say about a midfielder. He’s much better further forward.
he gives us:

Physicality, energy, good runs forward, big aerial strength, aggressive. :D

bosnian_red

Didn't Mourinho use him to give a feck up to the higher ups for not giving him a centre back? Don't really value that kind of arguments very much, what managers say into the camera might not be what they really think and also might be twisted understanding of the whole issue - McTom might not be the worst player we got through all those years but this is only a relative perspective and doesn't tell you much about the actual quality - not being the worst of a bad bunch isn't something that should give you praise.

I always wonder, what this means? Where is the energy? What is meant with that? Is it the "don't give up" attitude from the one game a few weeks ago or something else?
It's being able to cover a lot of ground, have tons of stamina, can stay fit and develop a rhythm and play multiple games, can compete physically in the premier league.

Walters_19_MuFc

Having poor quality midfielders is part of the reason why the going seems to get tough more often for us than other top sides and we find ourselves in a shitty position year in year out. It’s because first and foremost, we’re not as good as the other teams.
Yeah because we were amazing at the start of the season with Casemiro, Bruno and Mount. :houllier:

NZT-One

It's being able to cover a lot of ground, have tons of stamina, can stay fit and develop a rhythm and play multiple games, can compete physically in the premier league.
Does he cover a lot of ground? I mean, we know that Fred did that and I think it never went under the radar. I don't notice this with McTominay. I guess stamina is the same thing with different words? Can stay fit and match rhythm is a bit weird. I mean, shouldn't that be a prerequisite? Certainly not something to praise him. I thin, the only good thing about him is his size. But even here is isn't known as this physical beast like for example Yaya was or even Fellaini.

NZT-One

Yeah because we were amazing at the start of the season with Casemiro, Bruno and Mount. :houllier:
This is such a bad way to discuss. We were bad at the start of the season with those players. But in what world does that lead to the conclusion that McTominay of all players must be a better player?

Walters_19_MuFc

This is such a bad way to discuss. We were bad at the start of the season with those players. But in what world does that lead to the conclusion that McTominay of all players must be a better player?
Try not to put words into my mouth, because at no point did I say that. Having said that, sometimes balance is the key, and maybe McTominay gives ten Hag the balance he wants.

Alemar

Having said that, sometimes balance is the key, and maybe McTominay gives ten Hag the balance he wants.
But what are the options now? Amrabat or, god forgive, DVB? Casemiro, Mount and Eriksen are all injured. ETH doesn’t fancy Hannibal as an 8, either. It’s only Dan Gore who remains, actually. But it would be interesting to see Mainoo - Gore - Bruno midfield

NZT-One

Try not to put words into my mouth, because at no point did I say that. Having said that, sometimes balance is the key, and maybe McTominay gives ten Hag the balance he wants.
But wouldn't that imply that what we are seeing on the field is what ETH wants? I think, that thought is scary. Just let me make my point clearly: we didn't play well at all at the beginning of the season and didn't get results. But the reason wasn't just that Mount, Casemiro and Bruno are bad players - they might not have been a good combination and the plan might not have suited them. Now where we switched it up with adding McTominay, we are still not playing well - we just get some results which is nice in short-term but thats about it.
He had a good impact in this one match as a sub scoring two goals but on most of the other results, I would argue you could even say we got the result not because of McTominay but despite him. I think, a game like today is the best we can expect from him - a game where he stays under the radar for not doing any major damage (its literally a group under this radar because Dalot, Lindelof and often Shaw and Rashford camp there as well).

city-puma

It’s pathetic to contribute all to the single player who has been giving his all in every possible way. You can blame the managers and the upper structure as much as you can though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s pathetic to contribute all to the single player who has been giving his all in every possible way. You can blame the managers and the upper structure as much as you can though.
It’s more pathetic to simply substitute the word ‘part’ and replace it with ‘all’ in order to have a made-up argument with yourself on the net mate.

bosnian_red

Does he cover a lot of ground? I mean, we know that Fred did that and I think it never went under the radar. I don't notice this with McTominay. I guess stamina is the same thing with different words? Can stay fit and match rhythm is a bit weird. I mean, shouldn't that be a prerequisite? Certainly not something to praise him. I thin, the only good thing about him is his size. But even here is isn't known as this physical beast like for example Yaya was or even Fellaini.
Given that almost nobody in our squad can stay fit, no it's definitely not something we should take for granted! Availability in general is a very good trait and a huge thing with Bruno.

McTominay is definitely a bit of a physical beast, and he definitely covers a lot of ground as he is athletic and very strong when in a duel. He isn't an amazing footballer, but he has his uses, and the reason he is playing is precisely his physicality which we lose without Casemiro in.

Alemar

He isn't an amazing footballer, but he has his uses, and the reason he is playing is precisely his physicality which we lose without Casemiro in.
But he is very often worst in the team on a passes per minute basis, which is awful for a central midfielder. He hides from the ball

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Given that almost nobody in our squad can stay fit, no it's definitely not something we should take for granted! Availability in general is a very good trait and a huge thing with Bruno.

McTominay is definitely a bit of a physical beast, and he definitely covers a lot of ground as he is athletic and very strong when in a duel. He isn't an amazing footballer, but he has his uses, and the reason he is playing is precisely his physicality which we lose without Casemiro in.
Barely shows it to be honest.

Gopher Brown

Hides in midfield too much. If we’re playing out from the back the third or fourth pass needs to be into centre midfield, but he’s not showing for the ball deliberately so he doesn’t receive a pass in a tight area. Mainoo, Casemiro, Eriksen and Amrabat do want to ball (what they then do with it is a mixed bag). We can’t play a proper possession game with him there.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think he plays in deep midfield though. Similar to Mount, he's been deployed in attacking role, his default position is quite high and notice when we lose the ball, McTominay usually needs to chase back instead of positioning himself in a way to screen the defense.
IMO he's much more of AM than CM and definitely not playing deep. What is the whole problem with this setup in the first place, not Scott.

Jeffthered

Squad player, who needs coaching and also needs to grow up. He seems happy being an average player who scores a few goals a season. Doesn't seem interested in dominating a game, not at all. Isn't getting better. Just drifting through games, time He seems like a player who needs a huge amount of guidance.. that's all fine, but that's not the character or personality I associate with Manchester United first team players. He's like Darren Fletcher. Decent, love the club bla bla bla... but they aren't taking us anywhere.

Should have sold him. He isn't irreplaceable and there is too much sentiment about McTominay.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Don't like his position on the pitch and his end product for a few games now.

To me he plays to high, can't receive the ball in this position and only plays second second ball.

Issue is that yesterday, we have been poor at winning second ball and his position, together with Bruno is not correct.

He is never here in the build up, forces Bruno to go deeper and then leaves a big space in the midfield to cover.

It's not really on him than on Ten Hag and the tactic. I would like a more traditional positionning for him against Galata and Newcastle because they can easily overload us

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Squad player, who needs coaching and also needs to grow up. He seems happy being an average player who scores a few goals a season. Doesn't seem interested in dominating a game, not at all. Isn't getting better. Just drifting through games, time He seems like a player who needs a huge amount of guidance.. that's all fine, but that's not the character or personality I associate with Manchester United first team players. He's like Darren Fletcher. Decent, love the club bla bla bla... but they aren't taking us anywhere.

Should have sold him. He isn't irreplaceable and there is too much sentiment about McTominay.
5xPremier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League winner Darren Fletcher? Yeah we really went nowhere when he was around.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Don't like his position on the pitch and his end product for a few games now.

To me he plays to high, can't receive the ball in this position and only plays second second ball.

Issue is that yesterday, we have been poor at winning second ball and his position, together with Bruno is not correct.

He is never here in the build up, forces Bruno to go deeper and then leaves a big space in the midfield to cover.

It's not really on him than on Ten Hag and the tactic. I would like a more traditional positionning for him against Galata and Newcastle because they can easily overload us
You are spot on with this comment. It was strange setup with Mount so high, but bizarre setup it is with McTominay in that role.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s not a midfielder. He has next to no actual central midfield qualities, and I suspect he has played recent games because he’s a possible goal threat in a team where nobody can score. Once we actually play with some method, he’ll be out of the team. He leaves us one short in actual midfield, certainly when in possession, and it’s just too difficult to play through a game like that.