g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Marwood

I'll put a Scotland spin on it.

Billy Gilmour and Callum McGregor are deep lying playmakers. They come deep to collect the ball. They seem to always have space.

Scott McTominay will never be that type of player. Ever.

He isn't a playmaker.

It isn't because he hides, it's because he hasn't got the spacial awareness of the aforementioned two.

He's best used as a roaming number 8 or a number 10. He's best played closer to the opposite box than his own.

I watched him closely in the previous 6 Scotland matches. His attacking off-the-ball movement is actually really good.
None of that justifies his lack of involvement on Saturday. This isn't a one off either. You just can't be so irrelevant to the game and put it down to a tactical role. Not as a midfielder.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's an atrocious midfielder. He is consistently near the bottom of total touches in a match. He's an empty shirt, someone who runs/jogs about a bit to look busy but never gets involved. Utterly useless.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He used to have a fair few United fans on his side, most will have lost patience with him after Saturday. Ten Hag needs to drop him completely, his lack of involvement is inexcusable, people joke about a player being so bad we're playing with 10 men but Scott McTominay is literally our version of that.

acnumber9

I'll put a Scotland spin on it.

Billy Gilmour and Callum McGregor are deep lying playmakers. They come deep to collect the ball. They seem to always have space.

Scott McTominay will never be that type of player. Ever.

He isn't a playmaker.

It isn't because he hides, it's because he hasn't got the spacial awareness of the aforementioned two.

He's best used as a roaming number 8 or a number 10. He's best played closer to the opposite box than his own.

I watched him closely in the previous 6 Scotland matches. His attacking off-the-ball movement is actually really good.
Here’s another Scotland spin on it. Teams like Georgia and Cyprus would comfortably be the worst teams in the Premier League. Bar a few exceptions, international football is dog turd so performances at that level mean next to nothing.

I know you’ll come back with his two goals against Spain. Before you do, remember that it’s one game and Alfonso Alves once scarred twice against United.

redcucumber

In that transfer thread it was hilarious to see people justifying the absolutely ridiculous asking price of 40+ million for McTominay. Rejecting 30 million for this John Cena wannabe is surely one of the worst decisions made by the club in recent years.
£65m for both Maguire and McTominay, wasn't it? We really don't help ourselves. Just weird decision-making.

RuudTom83

Amazon must be kicking themselves...imagine documenting THIS season :eek: the footage would of been priceless.

MasterDarcy

Here’s another Scotland spin on it. Teams like Georgia and Cyprus would comfortably be the worst teams in the Premier League. Bar a few exceptions, international football is dog turd so performances at that level mean next to nothing.

I know you’ll come back with his two goals against Spain. Before you do, remember that it’s one game and Alfonso Alves once scarred twice against United.
People keep disrespecting International football but if you think this Is the golden age of club football then you're wrong.

Italian football Is a shadow of its former self. Barcelona and Real Madrid are far weaker than they once were. There's one team in the Bundesliga. There's one team in Ligue 1.

Tottenham aren't exactly brilliant and yet they're 2nd in the EPL. Liverpool are going through an evolution and yet they're 3rd. We're 13th and look a shambles.

IrishRedDevil

Bag of shite with a head on it.

Hides from the ball.

Minimal touches.

Presumably on the pitch to shield, press and win the ball back ... he can't even do that. Literally strolling around doing nothing.

redshaw

You could understand a lack of passing if was making tackles and pressing players.

Maybe for a smaller team he can step up and be counted. It's been going on for years now so I'm not sure how people can be surprised, it's like he just defers to other players and thinks he's there as some backup or spare wheel and monitor Case and Bruno.

Perhaps he should be a referee instead.

RuudTom83

£65m for both Maguire and McTominay, wasn't it? We really don't help ourselves. Just weird decision-making.
West Ham could of bid twice that amount and Maguire/McTom would still not move without millions in compensation from the Glazers...which would never be granted...so its not worth going around in circles.

acnumber9

People keep disrespecting International football but if you think this Is the golden age of club football then you're wrong.

Italian football Is a shadow of its former self. Barcelona and Real Madrid are far weaker than they once were. There's one team in the Bundesliga. There's one team in Ligue 1.

Tottenham aren't exactly brilliant and yet they're 2nd in the EPL. Liverpool are going through an evolution and yet they're 3rd. We're 13th and look a shambles.
You seem to think of this as some kind of gotcha but you only re-emphasise the point. If club football isn’t as good as it once was, why would international football not suffer the same fate? Where do international footballers come from?

Em765

Hes a versatile player. He is a CB that can score and perhaps play AM/CF at times. However he is not a midfielder.
Hes been playing in the wrong position for us for years now.
I am convinced there is a player there but he is a CB.

jem

In that transfer thread it was hilarious to see people justifying the absolutely ridiculous asking price of 40+ million for McTominay. Rejecting 30 million for this John Cena wannabe is surely one of the worst decisions made by the club in recent years.
And you'd get people saying things like 'United were never going to settle for 30 million.." Why the feck not?!

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I really want to insult him.
He's an atrocious midfielder. He is consistently near the bottom of total touches in a match. He's an empty shirt, someone who runs/jogs about a bit to look busy but never gets involved. Utterly useless.
Midfielder?

No positional awareness, technically inept, tactical buffoonery personified and cowardly representation. How can he be considered a midfielder in a professional club.

Spends more time straightening his pants than participating in the game. Too busy project a beautiful touch instead of actually just strapping the bloody ball. Barely out muscles anyone in a game without giving a foul. Displays no advantage in relation to his size.

Is he even a football academy graduate?

redcucumber

West Ham could of bid twice that amount and Maguire/McTom would still not move without millions in compensation from the Glazers...which would never be granted...so its not worth going around in circles.
Where was it reported that McTominay wanted millions in compensation? Maguire we all know wanted the difference paying out - is that unusual? There's also a very strong argument that we'd be better off taking the hit and paying it, which speaks to the weird decision-making as mentioned.

clarkydaz

Nah, what actually happens is a load of Manchester United fans see McTominay's name in the starting lineup then, at some point in the game, think to themselves...

"Where the feck is Scott McTominay? I mean, he's a big lump of a lad, so should be easy enough to spot but I'm following the ball round the pitch and I just don't see him. What the feck is going on?"

Then, after the game, many of these fans try to solve this mystery by looking at some stats and discover that this player - who was playing as part of midfield diamond with three other players in similar roles - seems to have been a bit of a statistical outlier:

Bruno had 93 touches and attempted 84 passes
Eriksen had 62 touches and attempted 61 passes
Casemiro (subbed off after 64 minutes) had 52 touches and attempted 46 passes
McTominay (subbed off after 85 minutes) had 22 touches and attempted 17 passes

IF HE'S NOT FECKING HIDING FROM THE BALL, WHAT THE FECK ELSE IS GOING ON HERE?!?
This is at OT aswell. Sure it was last year we played Arsenal at OT, a midfielder came on at half time for them and doubled his touches. McT being crap just isnt news anymore, yet still gets bigged up by pundits. Almost like they are in on the joke to keeping it going

RedOrange

And you'd get people saying things like 'United were never going to settle for 30 million.." Why the feck not?!
Yeah you have to wonder whether ETH got the final say on this one. Maybe if the Amrabat deal could have been worked out a bit earlier, United would have sold him. I think there are probably a few people over the manager's head who want to hold on to McTominay and have for a while.

His limitations on the ball are obvious but when I went back and watched this game, the thing that sticks out to me the most is his total lack of urgency during transitions going in both directions. He's slow to start running when the ball is turned over and he jogs up and down the pitch when everyone else is sprinting, which means he's always late to the edge of the box. The other midfielders are guilty of it too, but if you're not offering anything on the ball...

MasterDarcy

You seem to think of this as some kind of gotcha but you only re-emphasise the point. If club football isn’t as good as it once was, why would international football not suffer the same fate? Where do international footballers come from?
Mars?

RoyKeaneReborn

Miss his fellow Scotsman, Fletcher. Fletch was technically limited too, but aside from Park, was the only midfielder who never stopped running the whole game. And never hid or shy away from 50-50 challenges. Pops in critical goals & headers as well (2 against the Scousers).

Mct not even half of what Fletch was.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Should have moved him on this summer past (actually should have been binned ages ago) but instead, we put an unrealistic price on his head. "Basically, the same player as Declan Rice" some say. Wow.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He'll score 3 goals vs Bayern and their fans will stand up to applaud him. Signed for 90 million the next day.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

His lack of effort is something special. Look at his "marking" and effort during second goal.
Guy dribbles him and he just joggs. Without any desire to catch him.

nau05194

He was decent at the weekend, particularly in his work off the ball.

He wasn't taken off until EtH rolled the dice on 85 minutes and take off McTominay, Martinez and Reguilon for Pellistri, Garnacho and Wan Bissaka so he was clearly doing what EtH wanted from him.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

He was decent at the weekend, particularly in his work off the ball.

He wasn't taken off until EtH rolled the dice on 85 minutes and take off McTominay, Martinez and Reguilon for Pellistri, Garnacho and Wan Bissaka so he was clearly doing what EtH wanted from him.
What jogging around and not touching the ball?

Mike Smalling

I must admit, I've long been in slight denial about McTominay. I kind of thought he could be a decent long term squad option (never a starter), because he's generally available, and he has put in some good performances for us in the past.

But the Brighton performance has completely shattered it. It was so cowardly. Just didn't show up, when we needed someone to take responsibility.

aeh1991

Should have moved him on this summer past (actually should have been binned ages ago) but instead, we put an unrealistic price on his head. "Basically, the same player as Declan Rice" some say. Wow.
That Rice comparison is beyond stupid. Shows how clueless some of the members on this forum are. I would have sold him as soon as West Ham knocked on the door.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I must admit, I've long been in slight denial about McTominay. I kind of thought he could be a decent long term squad option (never a starter), because he's generally available, and he has put in some good performances for us in the past.

But the Brighton performance has completely shattered it. It was so cowardly. Just didn't show up, when we needed someone to take responsibility.
It’s so strange. Because he obviously cares about the club. And I’m sure I read once that he’s one of our fittest players. So why does he play in such an inhibited way? At the risk of being all Keane/Souness, why didn’t he even kick someone? How can someone who cares so much about this club let a game like that just pass him by without even once leaving a boot in?

Mike Smalling

It’s so strange. Because he obviously cares about the club. And I’m sure I read once that he’s one of our fittest players. So why does he play in such an inhibited way? At the risk of being all Keane/Souness, why didn’t he even kick someone? How can someone who cares so much about this club let a game like that just pass him by without even once leaving a boot in?
Yeah, on the fitness part, didn't he post a 16 minute 5K or something? Even for a pro football player, that's fast. He's clearly very professional and takes care of himself. He's also one of the players there's never any noise around.

I'm thinking it's a combination of tactical ineptitude, a poor mentality, and maybe poor concentration. At this level you can so easily be bypassed if you step up when you shouldn't, focus on the wrong man or something like that. And then I guess he just doesn't have that elite mentality of enabling him to up his game, when the going gets tough.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fitness and effort isn't the same thing. He's also not a smart player, you can see that by his lack of positioning when we're in possession, he's not good at reading danger. He cares, you can clearly see that through the Ole years but that shouldn't be enough to be a United player. I'd rather have Fellaini on the pitch than McTominay and I was not a fan of Fellaini but at least he did something.

IrishRedDevil

ETH is normally stubborn and sticks with his selections.

The fact that he benches McT after that disappearing act v Brighton says alot.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Can't control a simple ball, loses a ball, joggs back.

30 mil rejected for him. Shitshow.

edgecutter

The word performances needs quotation marks around it. He isn't even trying when he comes on. If he was foreign the media would hound him out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There was a tweet or two about his sale. It was how we will only accept big offer because Ten Hag likes him.

I do hope that it was a big BS.