2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

STYLOISRED

He could do what Hojlund does, he has the skill and physique for it, and his finishing is better.

We could've saved £30m on Onana by signing Roberto Sanchez or Raya.

We could've saved £60m on Mount, by playing Hannibal.

£170m saved right there.
Raya is shit

GueRed

Good lad with a great attitude. I've always been happy with him as a squad player.

The Star man for us this weekend :cool:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Selfishly I'm really glad we didn't sell him this summer now... £30m that the club would waste on either a rubbish transfer and/or go into the Glazers pocket means nothing to me, where as I'll remember Saturday for a long, long, long time.

RuudTom83

I was happy for Scotty.

But its a bit of an odd take to go from scoring 2 late winners after coming on to be a nuisance up front with Hojlund. To then claim he should be starting in the midfield ahead of Bruno/Mount/Casemiro/Hannibal etc.

If anything the main takeaway should be McTom is a great option to come on when United need a goal.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Selfishly I'm really glad we didn't sell him this summer now... £30m that the club would waste on either a rubbish transfer and/or go into the Glazers pocket means nothing to me, where as I'll remember Saturday for a long, long, long time.
The club clearly were only ever going to sell him for a very important fee, because he is probably one of the only fringe players that really give a shit about the club and will give his all. For this result alone, that's proven to be the correct decision.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The club clearly were only ever going to sell him for a very important fee, because he is probably one of the only fringe players that really give a shit about the club and will give his all. For this result alone, that's proven to be the correct decision.
Plus he's Scottish. So it's good we kept him. It's like the Starks and Winterfell, there should always be a Scotsman in Old Trafford.

Dr Foo

What we saw yesterday is exactly what he's good at. If you're chasing the game and need to throw bodies into the box against a big physical team that's defending very deep, then a big physical specimen like Mctominay is very useful. He's not a midfielder good enough for a club with ambitions to compete for the league and neither does he have the attributes to play as a striker.
Aka Fellaini? Though he has showed for Scotland he has more than just the physical attributes, but also the timing of runs and finishing

Ekeke

I don't really think Soucek is that good nowadays compared to when he first turned up at West Ham. Just 2 prem goals last season and 5 the previous season.

Pretty sure there was an issue with him wanting a contract extension aswell which wasn't granted and he'll be 29 in a few months so feels like a smart upgrade for West Ham if McTominay wants to move there given he's younger and would have similar attacking output.
He's still a better dm than mctom who would be a sub

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Aka Fellaini? Though he has showed for Scotland he has more than just the physical attributes, but also the timing of runs and finishing
Pretty much similar to Fellaini. Even Maguire played a big role in the win by winning the aerial ball which allowed McTominay to score. So if you're bombarding the box against a physically powerful opponent who are strong at defending the box in a deeper block, then one way of breaking the opponent's resolve is to have more physical bodies in the opponent's box. And with Maguire and McTominay also going forward, it meant Brentford couldn't just focus on Hojlund.

gaffs

Funny how every pundit this weekend all of a sudden rates McTominay. Quite honestly, he has been tumescent for a long time. Maybe that is because he is not a 6 after all and should be an 8, or even a 10!

As much at ETH will be thankful for the goals, he will now feel he has to give more game time to McTominay.

OrcaFat

Funny how every pundit this weekend all of a sudden rates McTominay. Quite honestly, he has been tumescent for a long time. Maybe that is because he is not a 6 after all and should be an 8, or even a 10!

As much at ETH will be thankful for the goals, he will now feel he has to give more game time to McTominay.
I did hear some pundit saying that McT has played his way back into the side. I don’t think so.

He gave EtH a reminder of what he can, on occasion, achieve when chucked on during injury time and we’re desperate. It’s not the same thing as playing in a manner that would get him into the starting line up. There are defined roles and he’s not the best option in any of them. He is best suited as one of the “high 8”positions but I just don’t see him getting in ahead of Mount or Bruno (or even Hannibal).

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Him being an impact player for us this season could work for everyone.

Improved form gets him a move to somewhere decent (hopefully outside of the Premier League) for a reasonable fee.

A few more moments like Saturday and he leaves a cult hero having (hopefully) played a part in turning the season around.

Tyrion

Its annoying that the club seems to want him to leave when he's clearly more committed than a lot of our other players. I'd rather a team of McTominay's than a team of Sancho's.

Tyrion

In what sense? Definitely not as a centre mid. His only use is in times of desperation, much like Fellaini. Getting rid of him solves nothing, but he isn't good enough for us.
We're often desperate. It's not like he costs alot in wages. Plus I think having some hard workers in the squad helps the culture of the team a little. SAF often had players like Fletcher and Park who were less talented but hard working.

NZT-One

In what sense? Definitely not as a centre mid. His only use is in times of desperation, much like Fellaini. Getting rid of him solves nothing, but he isn't good enough for us.
I understand both positions but actually, I think there absolutely is a reason to let him go: he takes minutes away from young players. I like the idea of having a scotsman in the squad just like the next guy and I like that he is such a professional and also his ability, to not let the adversity get to him or his determination. If we would have the perfect squad, he could be kept as a squad player, a utility player who can cover several positions. But we don't have a perfect squad. He is not good enough to be a starting player in any role. He isn't an emerging talent anymore, he is neither the present nor the future. Players like Gore, Hannibal and Mainoo could be the future and they should get as much minutes as possible. Obviously not all youngster will turn out good enough, but better to find out early when such players can still be sold with the potential tag on the box. Same applies to Eriksen to a degree. We aren't challenging right now, but if we make the right decisions, we could be challenging 2 or 3 years from now. Our starting midfielders will be 32, 32 (Casemiro & Eriksen), 29 (Bruno) and 25 (Mount). Amrabat, McTom and DVB will be 27 when this season ends. Mainoo is 18, Gore 19, Mejbri is 20. There is already a gap, I think, we even should bring in a player in the 22-23 bracket but we have to make sure, that the youngsters gets streamlined into the team. DVB isn't offering anything, McTominay may be suited for the Fellaini role. If we can generate funds, than thats the way to go.

NZT-One

We're often desperate. It's not like he costs alot in wages. Plus I think having some hard workers in the squad helps the culture of the team a little. SAF often had players like Fletcher and Park who were less talented but hard working.
But both Fletcher and Park were more talented than McTominay. You should have mentioned John O Shea, I'd give you that point but you don't keep a player just because he is cheap and "we are often desperate". That isn't a status quo we want to cultivate is it? We need funds and it is easy to generate by selling players that don't really have much use down the line. It would have been the right decision last summer. Even fans of the player should wish him that he is getting regular gametime....

Tyrion

But both Fletcher and Park were more talented than McTominay. You should have mentioned John O Shea, I'd give you that point but you don't keep a player just because he is cheap and "we are often desperate". That isn't a status quo we want to cultivate is it? We need funds and it is easy to generate by selling players that don't really have much use down the line. It would have been the right decision last summer. Even fans of the player should wish him that he is getting regular gametime....
Our team isn't as good now as it was so I think he can be as much use to us now as they were then.

I think if he wants regular football, he should leave. If not, I'd be happy to see him stay.

NZT-One

Our team isn't as good now as it was so I think he can be as much use to us now as they were then.

I think if he wants regular football, he should leave. If not, I'd be happy to see him stay.
I think, he proofed his usefulness last weekend but for the wrong reasons. I'd be fine also if he doesn't take minutes away from other players but seeing that we could generate cash with him, I think it is safe to say, that we can bring in a player that could potentially be more useful than McT and has the potential, to maybe even be better than everything we have right now.

Kostov

He had a great moment, now let's not forget who he is and please don't expect of him to be Roy Keane in the next game. He should not start, but we can use him in situations like the one from the weekend. I am glad we kept him over Fred this summer.

Remember the geese

I don't think he should want to stay if he's only going to be a 'last 10 minutes, shove him up top and say a prayer' option. Though make no mistake, that is the only way he should be used because he isn't good enough in any other role. Fletcher and Park were a completely different level to McTominay.

Remember the geese

I understand both positions but actually, I think there absolutely is a reason to let him go: he takes minutes away from young players. I like the idea of having a scotsman in the squad just like the next guy and I like that he is such a professional and also his ability, to not let the adversity get to him or his determination. If we would have the perfect squad, he could be kept as a squad player, a utility player who can cover several positions. But we don't have a perfect squad. He is not good enough to be a starting player in any role. He isn't an emerging talent anymore, he is neither the present nor the future. Players like Gore, Hannibal and Mainoo could be the future and they should get as much minutes as possible. Obviously not all youngster will turn out good enough, but better to find out early when such players can still be sold with the potential tag on the box. Same applies to Eriksen to a degree. We aren't challenging right now, but if we make the right decisions, we could be challenging 2 or 3 years from now. Our starting midfielders will be 32, 32 (Casemiro & Eriksen), 29 (Bruno) and 25 (Mount). Amrabat, McTom and DVB will be 27 when this season ends. Mainoo is 18, Gore 19, Mejbri is 20. There is already a gap, I think, we even should bring in a player in the 22-23 bracket but we have to make sure, that the youngsters gets streamlined into the team. DVB isn't offering anything, McTominay may be suited for the Fellaini role. If we can generate funds, than thats the way to go.
Yes, would much prefer the likes of Hansen-Aarøen, Gore, Hannibal and Mainoo to be given opportunities in midfield. I don't think ten minutes at the end of a game is enough of a role to keep a player happy and that is the only role I would want McTominay to have. Although I'd like to think we can improve to the point of not having to hope for some desperation McTominay sub in order to save the day.

honirelandboy

The one good game Scott has played in 30 matches and the usual comes around, how I'm glad we kept him nonsense and should get a run in the team and he's a good player.
He is utter Scutter and belongs at a bottom 10 club in the league at best.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The one good game Scott has played in 30 matches and the usual comes around, how I'm glad we kept him nonsense and should get a run in the team and he's a good player.
He is utter Scutter and belongs at a bottom 10 club in the league at best.
Why is it nonsense? He literally provided us with a memory we'll remember for years and years to come.

Bobski

That was a magnificent strike of the ball for the disallowed goal. Hate Var stealing moments like that.

Abraxas

He's not a bad player if you get him near the box.

There's absolutely no mystery, that's always been where he has been effective. That game against Leeds immediately jumps to mind. He's not a striker, he's not a deep midfielder, he's an 8 that needs to be primarily using his physicality and shooting near the opposition box.

In a way it's a shame that for half his career he's been in a double pivot trying to take the ball in the build up and be defensively responsible, because whatever talent he has, and ultimately he's not that talented at the top, top level of club football...it's been largely misused. But at the same time he's also probably not talented enough to have played as regularly as he has over the years for a club the scale of Man United, so its swings and roundabouts in his career I suppose. Overall he's got a heck of a lot out of it in terms of playing for Man United and getting very well paid.

His role here while he remains has to stay in this vein. If we need a deep midfielder stick with Amrabat, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo. But when we need a squad or a late sub use him properly.