View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Skills

Snitch
Why not try training him as striker? his skills are really suit for that role. Putting him in midfield's really wasting and devastating.
Because even as a striker he doesn't show for the ball or does all the other things a striker needed to do in build up play.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What's really odd, is he's fecking horrible on the ball, but he's bloody effective from an attacking perspective.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So, do people want to laugh at me?

This guy is underrated. One of most dangerous midfielders in Premier League. Worth no less than 100m signings this year in Premier League.
Obviously has his limitations in midfield but anyone popping up with goals as regularly as he does from midfield has a certain value. Doesn't seem like a fluke either given his international form.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What's really odd, is he's fecking horrible on the ball, but he's bloody effective from an attacking perspective.
He's developed into a clinical finisher when he gets chances - strong and can fight players off, good with his head. He's going to necessarily control a game from midfield but can strike the ball well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Such a mystery player. 2 very good goals and looked our best attacking threat.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Actually had a decent-ish midfield performance on top of scoring a fantastic brace to win us the game. Nice!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He is being tasked to make constant runs into dangerous area and you could see tonight against a messy team like Chelsea how much of a threat he carried. The obsession with his passing stats makes no sense given the role he is playing.
It's got nothing to do with stats, and everything to do with us controlling games.

It has worked today because Chelsea folded like a pack of cards almost every time we pressed them, so we barely needed a midfield, but even then they just walked through us multiple times in the first half, playing as badly as they did. Better teams will show him up as a nothing midfielder, like they always do.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's developed into a clinical finisher when he gets chances - strong and can fight players off, good with his head. He's going to necessarily control a game from midfield but can strike the ball well.
Yeah, but there was a point where he was on the ball in the centre of the pitch, attempted to protect it instead of passing it and fell over and gave the ball straight to a Chelsea player - when there was about 3 united players within 2 metres of him. I don't understand!

jadaba

Every time McTominay scores I think of that poster on here a few months ago who wouldn't stop barking about how properly utilising Scott would change our fortunes. We all laughed at him then but I hope he's having a good evening.

Skills

Snitch
Part of the reason he gets so many chances is that he abandons the midfield completely. If you're a genuine goalscoring midfielder you've got to make a choice between when you attack the box, when you attack the D or when you just hold position.

McTominay has no interest in the latter 2 and will just play like a striker in the attacking 3rd.

I don't want to sound too critical because he won us the game but his goals at a cost.

90 + 5min

Obviously has his limitations in midfield but anyone popping up with goals as regularly as he does from midfield has a certain value. Doesn't seem like a fluke either given his international form.
Underrated player. He does have his fault. Everybody does. He is no Scholes. He is no Keane or Robson. But he gives so much to this team that it is so sad to read comments when we lose. Important player.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Shades of later years Ronaldo? He solves the problems he creates? I know im reaching. :lol:

FerociousCorgis

It's got nothing to do with stats, and everything to do with us controlling games.

It has worked today because Chelsea folded like a pack of cards almost every time we pressed them, so we barely needed a midfield, but even then they just walked through us multiple times in the first half, playing as badly as they did. Better teams will show him up as a nothing midfielder, like they always do.
Exactly. Mctominay is just a worse version of Bruno, a player who you have no idea how fits into an actual team game. Should be a late sub player who can play this role when we aren't really worried about balance and just going balls to the wall forward

Oranges038

Could have scored 5 or 6 with a bit of luck and some better finishing.

His all round play was better today too, credit where it's due, he had a good game tonight.

Bobski

And that is a Ten Hag choice as much as it is the individual weakness of McT. Doesn't matter if we like it or not, Ten Hag is not trying to control the middle of the park, I don't understand how people aren't seeing that.

I think it is foolish and agree with you about its chance of success against better teams.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah, but there was a point where he was on the ball in the centre of the pitch, attempted to protect it instead of passing it and fell over and gave the ball straight to a Chelsea player - when there was about 3 united players within 2 metres of him. I don't understand!
Yeah he's far too clumsy for a team whose midfield wants to consistently dominate games. When on form he almost reminds me of a less frustrating version of what Fellaini was like when he was on form - can score a decent number of goals, often a bit of a threat up top, but can be a bombscare in fast-paced games. From the games I've watched this season though the rating in this thread is criminally low.

OleGunnar20

What an odd player. Surely he's our single biggest contributor of points this season though?

Hard to argue really, the guys making it happen. Well done McTom.

Stadjer

Yeah he's far too clumsy for a team whose midfield wants to consistently dominate games. When on form he almost reminds me of a less frustrating version of what Fellaini was like when he was on form - can score a decent number of goals, often a bit of a threat up top, but can be a bombscare in fast-paced games. From the games I've watched this season though the rating in this thread is criminally low.
Not just clumsy but also a lack of technical ability. That his ratings are low makes sense. When he doesnt score he is pretty much useless which results in really low ratings. When he does score he is usefull but because he doesnt do much besides scoring it still wont result in a very high rating. That will average out at low rating.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not a chance he leaves the team whilst he offers such a proportion of our goals and threat with a barren front line. 1.87 NPxG from midfield.

T Red

Spent all night ghosting around but yet came up with two goals and should have even had more.

What a strange player. Completely useless in what he is meant to be, yet very solid at what he is not.

Red & White

Brilliant and should have had a hat trick. At a time when our forwards aren’t scoring enough or taking chances, his goals are most welcome.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Not just clumsy but also a lack of technical ability. That his ratings are low makes sense. When he doesnt score he is pretty much useless which results in really low ratings. When he does score he is usefull but because he doesnt do much besides scoring it still wont result in a very high rating. That will average out at low rating.

Aware I'm being picky but 4.7 would make it look like he's been utterly abysmal! Although I get some of the dreadful results this season where players are likely getting 1 or 2 will have factored into it, he is ultimately scoring, and on a night like tonight has popped up with important goals.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Not a chance he leaves the team whilst he offers such a proportion of our goals and threat with a barren front line. 1.87 NPxG from midfield.
'1.87 NPxG from midfield' genuinely have no idea what that means. I miss the simplicity of football.

Devil81

It's a mystery how he can get himself into so many goalscoring positions yet our bloody striker can barely get a shot off.

Apparently we just don't create the chances.

the_cliff

And people thought he wasn't worth 40m in the summer transfer window. We were right in our asking price for him, For 25-30 million West Ham and Fulham were having a laugh.

90 + 5min

It's a mystery how he can get himself into so many goalscoring positions yet our bloody striker can barely get a shot off.

Apparently we just don't create the chances.
That is called football IQ. He reads games when we attack. He looks for free spaces from second wave. He know where danger is.

cj_sparky

It's mental, he's scored two and could have scored more. I've given him MOTM, but I still don't think in midfield he offers what I want from a midfielder :lol:.

NZT-One

Underrated player. He does have his fault. Everybody does. He is no Scholes. He is no Keane or Robson. But he gives so much to this team that it is so sad to read comments when we lose. Important player.
He is offering an outlet in the box. This is certainly good and helpful but at the end of the day, it isn't something the best teams in the world rely on.

That being said, I didn't think he was good today but having two goals definitely can't be taken away from him so credit where credit is due. Nice to see him and Maguire getting some form, maybe Moysie can be tempted to put in a little 100 million offer for both.

90 + 5min

And people thought he wasn't worth 40m in the summer transfer window. We were right in our asking price for him, For 25-30 million West Ham and Fulham were having a laugh.
No less worth than Caciedo or Rice. And showed today that he is no less worth than Enzo either.

binary bot
I think that's his best performance for us. He was excellent and other than the hat-trick chance, which you can't begrudge him, he moved the ball really well

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, I think people are letting their personal opinions of footballing style come into their comments. I'm not sure if he's less frustrating than Fellaini, as Fellaini was so unique, you knew what you were getting completely. Scott has a tendency to have erratic technique between striking the ball, controlling and passing.

Someone

Something
There are times where he's unable to drive our play forward, but man does he have an eye for a goal. Safe to say that without his goals this season we'd be fecked.

kundalini

Crazy number of good chances, managed to score 2 of them; I suppose his first half header wasn't that bad, if too close to the keeper and the rebound was pure luck, both in terms of the attempt and the save.

I know there are a billion posts in this thread demanding that Scott be left out so we can control midfield but in that scenario, who scores the goals ? Most of our forwards are so short of confidence when shooting.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Actually had a decent-ish midfield performance on top of scoring a fantastic brace to win us the game. Nice!
Dunno about that. Watched him closely (in S End tonight). Not good apart from goals.

If he hadn’t scored second, I’d have subbed him a while back.

Mate was screaming at him. I’ll take the goals though