Semi Final 1: Portugal vs Wales

Dan

Of all the teams we could face, I fecking hate Portugal.

Giggs86

Wales to go through because Portugal are shit jammy bastards and Ronaldo became a bit of a massive wanker lately.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Without Ramsey.. Wales will struggle.

chicha14

Time for Ronaldo to prove why he is Madrids best player!
Come on Ronnie, do it for the nation and send your team to the final!

Treble

Ronnie haters are bricking it that he may reach the final now.

devips

I see a pattern emerging. It happened in PL last season. Underdog teams with strong defensive organisation breaking for fast counter-attack, utilising their limited scoring opportunities, and knocking out better quality (at least on paper) teams. The pattern now stands established in Euro 16. Italy vs Belgium, England vs Iceland, and now Wales vs Belgium. of course, the fact that Belgium don't know how to defend set pieces helped!

POF

It's time they got rid of suspensions for 2 yellow cards in major tournaments. Key players like Ramsey missing a semi final for such petty offences is ridiculous. Vermaelen being suspended for Belgium vs Wales was pivotal also.

In years gone by when yellow cards were only for bad tackles it was ok but these days it happens far too often. Games being decided based on missing players due to bookings in earlier games is pointless.

Dan

It's time they got rid of suspensions for 2 yellow cards in major tournaments. Key players like Ramsey missing a semi final for such petty offences is ridiculous. Vermaelen being suspended for Belgium vs Wales was pivotal also.

In years gone by when yellow cards were only for bad tackles it was ok but these days it happens far too often. Games being decided based on missing players due to bookings in earlier games is pointless.
Agreed, it's stupid.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Whoever wins will get beaten well in the final anyways.

It's a pity the draw was so top heavy with powerhouses on one side. Blatter in fairness as bad and all as he was would have sorted that out in time.

The final will be a sad way to end what was a very entertaining t'ment.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Small time, pathetic, have club mates in the England team, most play in the EPL, there captain was born and bread in England
Some sections of the English response to Wales is less than pathetic. The spoilt brat mentality needs to be gotten rid of so your fans and players can move on and join the rest of the world in enjoying football.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

2 yellows=suspension is ok, but they need to refine that rule. Maybe 2 yellows in span of 3 games is fair.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
If you're English you can't really be blamed for not wanting Wales to win seeing as they love seeing us lose.
I get that entirely, rivalry is fun, but to insult the Welsh for their part in the rivalry is retarded.

And the fact they have so many ties with England makes the rivalry more so. I don't understand how some people don't get that and take the rivalry as some sort of horrendous personal or national insult.

Lostie007

Portugal are jammy feckers. A plum draw after plum draw. The new Real Madrid!? they shouldn't even still be in this.. they finished 3rd in their group which in mostly every other year would've resulted in elimination. It isn't right they win this they don't deserve it.

France, Wales, Italy.. all deserve it more. Proper teams who have played attacking football not **** on a stick type.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I get that entirely, rivalry is fun, but to insult the Welsh for their part in the rivalry is retarded.

And the fact they have so many ties with England makes the rivalry more so. I don't understand how some people don't get that and take the rivalry as some sort of horrendous personal or national insult.
It is strange how some people react to it, bringing up nationalities, snide remarks etc, they were never claimed when we were less rubbish :)
In fairness the majority of English I know and on here seem to have taken it in great spirits, nobody wants Wales to be celebrated by everybody, it's good to have a friendly rivalry, how boring would it be if we all wanted everyone to win, it's not feasable for a start.
I know a few have taken it that we come across as we think we are world beaters now, not pleasant and should be towing the usual dribble before matches ( not like bales comments). That's not the case at all, and for me, it's more shock than anything. Coming into the tournament I would have been happy if we scored here, maybe get a win, we have never had unrealistic expectations.
I think it's hard for us to get across how much of a big deal this is for us, especially the older folk who have suffered Wales near misses for many years, my first disappointment I remember was Romania in 1993, there's been many since alongside bad patches of teams and football.
England have almost always reached tournament finals and got to quarters etc, the one time they got to the semis in 96 is still talked about, there were programmes about it all the time building upto this tournament. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, we basically had to follow England for years as a 2nd nation, I enjoy watching these programmes and find them quite nostalgic, what I'm trying to say is, if England still talk about a semi final defeat 30 years on, clearly a bigger national team than us, just imagine how it is for Wales, the nearly beens, the no goods, strugglers are feeling reaching a semi final beating a highly rated, although under achieving team to get there. It's cloud 9 material.

Last edited:
Reactions: moses

red4ever 79

It is strange how some people react to it, bringing up nationalities, snide remarks etc, they were never claimed when we were less rubbish :)
In fairness the majority of English I know and on here seem to have taken it in great spirits, nobody wants Wales to be celebrated by everybody, it's good to have a friendly rivalry, how boring would it be if we all wanted everyone to win, it's not feasable for a start.
I know a few have taken it that we come across as we think we are world beaters now, not pleasant and should be towing the usual dribble before matches ( not like bales comments). That's not the case at all, and for me, it's more shock than anything. Coming into the tournament I would have been happy if we scored here, maybe get a win, we have never had unrealistic expectations.
I think it's hard for us to get across how much of a big deal this is for us, especially the older folk who have suffered Wales near misses for many years, my first disappointment I remember was Romania in 1993, there's been many since alongside bad patches of teams and football.
England have almost always reached tournament finals and got to quarters etc, the one time they got to the semis in 96 is still talked about, there were programs about it all the time building upto to this tournament. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I enjoy watching these programs and find them quite nostalgic, what I'm trying to say is, if England still talk about a semi final defeat 30 years on, clearly a bigger national team than us, just imagine how it is for Wales, the nearly beens, the no goods, strugglers are feeling reaching a semi final beating a highly rated, although under achieving team to get there. It's cloud 9 material.
Here, here, lets all be nice and back the boys

VanGaalEra

Let's go @Sly let's knock the Welsh out!

If they can celebrate England going out, what's wrong with me hoping they get dicked on? Then laughing!

Lostie007

I'm shocked Ashley Williams isn't getting touted on here or in the media to go to a bigger club. He seems like the solid defensive leader we need at the moment. He could be Mourinho's JT for United.

Captaining this Wales side to the semi-finals of a major tournament isn't to be sniffed at.

red4ever 79

I'm shocked Ashley Williams isn't getting touted on here or in the media to go to a bigger club. He seems like the solid defensive leader we need at the moment. He could be Mourinho's JT for United.
Brendan wanted him at Liverpool if i recall but their transfer committe vetoed it on the basis of his age. Seems they prefer to have Toure and Skrtel.

Wise that transfer committee

VanGaalEra

Pipe down son. This kind of talk is why the 'English' have the reputation they do and are universally disliked.

You should back the home nations
Why should I back Scotland/Wales/Both Ireland's etc when every single person in those countries wants England to lose all the time?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Its all good natured banter to me. My brother in law is a Welsh Liverpool fan so we have some good debates.