Sergej Milinkovic Savic

bucky

So then its not really an upgrade on Herrera . Think we should pass .
Not sure how you took that from my post. He is definitely an upgrade on Fellaini, which might be the plan and he offers different things compared to Herrera.

beingshe7don

Worse and not as talented. He is a good player without any doubt, but IMO not on the same level in terms of talent compared to Pogba and Saul. Which is why I would rather see us sign Saul.
Saul is an Athleti product. I don't see him and Koke leaving at all. I wouldn't mind going all out for Savic or even Goretzka. Goretzka is actually free too.

Goretzka (free) and he's as good as Pogba and could play with him as well as replace him when need be.
Ozil (free) is a good replacement for Mata and Mhiki in the no. 10 spot
Rose (40m) is the LB we've been crying for
Griezmann (85m) would be essentially out RW/ RF

And we are sorted.

4-2-1-3 is the way to go

------- Martial/ Rashford --------------- Lukaku -------------- Griezmann/ Lingard --------
------------------------------------ Ozil/ Mhiki/ Mata -----------------------------------------
----------------- Pogba ----------------------------------- Matic/ Goretzka ------------------
--- Rose ---------- Smalling/ Bailly ----------- Jones/ Lindelof ---------------- Valencia ---
------------------------------------ De Gea ----------------------------------------------------

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Milinković-Savić is a quality prospect, but we don't really need him. If you think back to what made Pogba an effective and exciting player at Juventus (which remains his peak in terms of performance):

Pogba was the all-round dazzler as a mezz'ala, Vidal the substance with his workrate and ability to plough through opposition midfields, and Pirlo the architect who controlled the team's overall strategy:
If they cannot play directly with the forwards, Allegri’s boys will change the game to the full back or center back on the opposite side the ball was recovered, to gain space and time. Pirlo excels at this.

If there is no space to run into and no clear passing options, the Italians will go backwards for Pirlo to execute a “killer” pass to four to five players running to the goal (including full backs), sending the ball between the defense and the goalkeeper.
https://grup14.com/article/tactical-analysis-juventus-playing-style-and-key-characteristics

That trio was very, very complementary in that all three players excelled at specific tasks. Even though Pogba is developing as a box-to-box player, he's not going to become the most wily and deliberate passer - nor should he aim to be one because his strengths lie elsewhere. What we ideally need is someone in the mold of Pirlo, Scholes, or even Verratti or Pjanić to set the tempo of the team as regards passing nous - United currently lacks that type of midfielder, and a top one could make our midfield a truly dominant unit. Not sure Milinković-Savić will have the same effect.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Milinković-Savić is a quality prospect, but we don't really need him. If you think back to what made Pogba an effective and exciting player at Juventus (which remains his peak in terms of performance):

Pogba was the all-round dazzler as a mezz'ala, Vidal the substance with his workrate and ability to plough through opposition midfields, and Pirlo the architect who controlled the team's overall strategy:

https://grup14.com/article/tactical-analysis-juventus-playing-style-and-key-characteristics

That trio was very, very complementary in that all three players excelled at specific tasks. Even though Pogba is developing as a box-to-box player, he's not going to become the most wily and deliberate passer - nor should he aim to be one because his strengths lie elsewhere. What we ideally need is someone in the mold of Pirlo, Scholes, or even Verratti or Pjanić to set the tempo of the team as regards passing nous - United currently lacks that type of midfielder, and a top one could make our midfield a truly dominant unit. Not sure Milinković-Savić will have the same effect.
A cultured passer who would give us great stability and Carrickesque distribution is Jorginho from Napoli.

He could play with Matic and Pogba against the top teams and tough away matches, and provide the cover and rotation we so evidently need for Matic in the easier fixtures.

Wouldn't solve our lack of cover for Pogba though. We'll be thin in midfield once again if Fellaini leaves, Carrick hangs up his boots and Herrera also possibly leaves.

Mcking

A cultured passer who would give us great stability and Carrickesque distribution is Jorginho from Napoli.

He could play with Matic and Pogba against the top teams and tough away matches, and provide the cover and rotation we so evidently need for Matic in the easier fixtures.

Wouldn't solve our lack of cover for Pogba though. We'll be thin in midfield once again if Fellaini leaves, Carrick hangs up his boots and Herrera also possibly leaves.
Goretzka would provide great cover for Pogba and could easily play in a double pivot with him too.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Aye, we do need some cover for Pogba, but it doesn't have to be Milinković-Savić. Spending stratospheric levels of money on a tactical/cover option player doesn't quite feel right - not because United is skint, but because it distorts the market even further and instills a culture of extravagance at the club. This is where United's scouts should be earning their keep - target players at the U-19 and U-21 level with a feasible blueprint for developing them into first team players. That's a more organic and sustainable model than spending big amounts every time you need backup or even first team replacements.

I like @Mcking's Goretzka's suggestion - we could have targeted him even in the summer before Bayern reportedly ramped up their interest:

This should be a no-go. Barkley is too similar to Pogba from a functional perspective (except technically weaker and not as good at a lot of other things), and I don't see him thriving with Paul - just like Gerrard and Ballack didn't thrive with Lampard unless they made significant adjustments to their games - which would be counterproductive because Barkley isn't a special enough player to risk a proven template (Pogba + def. box-to-box + holder). Everton will demand top money for him even with his contract situation, and I'd rather United go the extra mile and sign a proper box-to-box with world class potential - like Saúl (who reportedly has a buyout clause of ~£60 million and would be a brilliant foil for Pogba).

Even if you're looking for players with Barkley's profile (tall and strong offensive minded midfielders), United would do well to sign someone like Leon Goretzka instead. More adaptable, likely cheaper because he plays in the Bundesliga and won't be subject to the Premier League premium, a better player right now, and most importantly - he's evidencing quality growth in terms of his tactical awareness and understanding of the game (which bodes well for Goretzka's future and has been a persistent issue with Barkley - all the physical traits in the world but you have to wonder if he just doesn't get it because he takes one step forward, then one step backwards). Could do with another season at Schalke to mature fully and refine his decision-making, but he'll be on a Bosman in 2018:
Contract until: 30.06.2018
http://www.transfermarkt.com/leon-goretzka/profil/spieler/153084

And the competition for his signature after the World Cup could be fierce. So he'd make sense on a decent fee in the summer.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ross-barkley-is-he-happy.424275/page-5#post-20576682

Those type of signings are really satisfying because you get great value for money from the get go. e.g. I reckon we missed a trick by not targeting the likes of Kolašinac in the summer considering the lack of stability at the position at United:
Kolašinac only because he's a Mourinho type fullback in the Ivanović mold, is more refined than Shaw, provides better end product, and is available on a Bosman:

Depending on Shaw's improvement, he could easily make the spot his own, making Kolašinac a really good depth option as a leftback/central defensive option.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wha...mmer-2016-edition.421337/page-8#post-20417743

AkaAkuma

He is a proper box to box player. Good at defending and attacking, with the technical and passing skill. He also has a very good awareness of spatial space and positioning. Yet physically he is a beast. He is destined to be truly world class if he stays clear of injury.
The thing that impressed me from his highlights was his passing from deep, if he shields at the same level, he'd be a good buy.

His running with the ball looks good, but it looks full speed to me and looks like he may lose control. Pogba on the other hand, I'm certain when he's on the ball no one will stop him.

Is that a fair analysis?

If the aboves correct he'd be an excellent fellaini replacement and long term replacement for matic. But I don't think it's within our budget at the present time.

Icemav

I know nothing about this player except the highlights posted. But it looks like he could develop into a Matic and move deeper.... Matic has a lot more to him than just being a midfield destroyer.

Bottom line is that we need to already be planning for a future without Matic or Matic injured. Matic is already having games where he looks knackered because we overplay him. Herrera cannot reach his level and Fellaini is better as a bench option to help close out games.

Also with Pogba injured our team level dips massively and if he can provide adequate cover here that is also great.... nobody in our sqaud presently can.

He may not be the right signing but we should not be against strengthening in this area just because we have Matic, Fellaini and Herrera.

haram

Need someone who can drive from midfield in Pogba's absence

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The thing that impressed me from his highlights was his passing from deep, if he shields at the same level, he'd be a good buy.

His running with the ball looks good, but it looks full speed to me and looks like he may lose control. Pogba on the other hand, I'm certain when he's on the ball no one will stop him.

Is that a fair analysis?

If the aboves correct he'd be an excellent fellaini replacement and long term replacement for matic. But I don't think it's within our budget at the present time.
Its a fair analysis. Its a facet of his game he is still developing. IMO we can afford him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Just destroyed single-handedly Samp away in the last 10 minutes of the game :drool:

izec

yeah, just seen the highlights. His steady growth is fantastic, soon he will be too big for Lazio if he isnt already.

Brightonian

Wouldn't solve our lack of cover for Pogba though.
It's always hard to have good cover for your star player. You want them on the pitch as much as possible, so the cover needs to be someone who's happy to bench warm quite a bit. And a player like that is always going to be a big step down in quality from your star.

Devil may care

He was excellent tonight, both using the ball from deep and in the final 3rd where he scored and assisted Lazio's 2 goals. Not sure he'd fit in our side though as he's very like Pogba and I don't know if you can have two of them and maintain a good balance.

It's always hard to have good cover for your star player. You want them on the pitch as much as possible, so the cover needs to be someone who's happy to bench warm quite a bit. And a player like that is always going to be a big step down in quality from your star.
Or your cover needs to be able to play in more than one position, our problem right now is that Pogba comes out of the team and our chance creation plummets, no one in any of the other attacking roles creates anything, our #10's aren't producing and so our creativity rests on Pogba's shoulders alone, somewhere we need to get the balance evened out.

Steven7290

The word is right, he does have a playing style very similar to Pogba. He's more consistent and stable with his passing but for anyone to say he has a higher potential or even the same level of technique as Pogba, it's absolutely mental. Saying that he can become a more effective player than Paul, just nowhere near as exciting.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He was excellent tonight, both using the ball from deep and in the final 3rd where he scored and assisted Lazio's 2 goals. Not sure he'd fit in our side though as he's very like Pogba and I don't know if you can have two of them and maintain a good balance.
.....................matic..........................
........m-savic..............pogba...........

Or even Goretezka for savic.... it would be solid and it would be somewhat reminiscent of ballack and lampard at Chelsea.... not saying it is my preference for how we play but would seem a very Jose way... big strong mobile players

Lukaku up top and rashford / martial competing for the left attacking spot... Then I guess a new player on right.

stygg

Seriously, we need to break the bank for this guy in January. Otherwise he'll end up at Bayern or Chelsea. He's the real deal and with him, Pogba, Matic and Fellaini we would destroy everything in our way, including the twats across the city.

Jib

His peak was in 15/16 without Pirlo and Vidal...the team was built around him. When he played with Pirlo and Vidal ( 2012-2015), the team was built around Pirlo and Pogba wasn't as good as he was in 15/16.

Pirlo needed 1 or 2 workhorse ( Vidal and Pogba ) to perform. In 15-16 Bonucci played as DLP and he allowed Pogba to roam.

With this freedom, Pogba made 15 assist ( number one in Serie A with 12 ) and 10 goals ( 8 in Serie A)

Juventus won the double that season ( one of the two that Pogba won in 4 seasons in Italy )

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortitude

beingshe7don

---- Pogba ----- Goretzka----
-------- Savic ----------------

Now that would be a midfield that would beat any team. Going back to a 4-3-3

Javi

Seriously, we need to break the bank for this guy in January. Otherwise he'll end up at Bayern or Chelsea. He's the real deal and with him, Pogba, Matic and Fellaini we would destroy everything in our way, including the twats across the city.
Neither need a central midfielder atm. Would probably suit Arsenal the best, Liverpool could use him too. I expect the big Italian teams to be after him also. Real/Barca I think will pass, PSG I don't know.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His peak was in 15/16 without Pirlo and Vidal...the team was built around him. When he played with Pirlo and Vidal ( 2012-2015), the team was built around Pirlo and Pogba wasn't as good as he was in 15/16.

Pirlo needed 1 or 2 workhorse ( Vidal and Pogba ) to perform. In 15-16 Bonucci played as DLP and he allowed Pogba to roam.

With this freedom, Pogba made 15 assist ( number one in Serie A with 12 ) and 10 goals ( 8 in Serie A)

Juventus won the double that season ( one of the two that Pogba won in 4 seasons in Italy )
He sucked hairy balls until Marchisio and Khedira got back from injuries. The setup was the same, the only exception being Khedira was more disciplined than Vidal while being less attacking, and Marchisio was also a better defensive player than Pirlo while doing an excellent job as the midfield hub, which freed Pogba more in an attacking sense

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Btw, in italy they're quoting €100m as Lazio's price for him next summer

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doesn't sound like the kind of midfielder we need. Our requirement is of that intelligent technical midfielder who can read the play and influence it by dictating and control it's flow. Someone in the mould of Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo etc. Of course we're not going to get anyone as good but I'm reading too much here about all rounders. We lack that guy who can control things from the centre. Pogba but he's more of a mix between creativity, flair and power rather than someone who controls the game and links everyone up. The difference between how scholes brought everyone together was entirely different. Pogba, whilst excellent, is more about showcasing his own skill. He doesn't run the engine nor string every piece together to make it whole.

Jib

He sucked hairy balls until Marchisio and Khedira got back from injuries. The setup was the same, the only exception being Khedira was more disciplined than Vidal while being less attacking, and Marchisio was also a better defensive player than Pirlo while doing an excellent job as the midfield hub, which freed Pogba more in an attacking sense
All the team sucked at the beginning of the season, even Buffon and the defenders :)

And Pogba's best game that season ( Bayern ) was without Marchisio.

In fact, Pogba played more than half the season without Claudio who missed a lot of games and he was still great :)

And the setup wasn't the same, Bonucci was the DLP and Pogba played higher on the pitch because Khedira plays way deeper than Vidal ( especially the Vidal 2011-2015 ).

Last edited:

beingshe7don

Savic is not a DM.
He's not a DM right now.... Matic started off being a AM as well. It's not difficult to transition. The other thing, If I were to coach united. I would have a revolving 3 midfield where two go up and the other remains behind to protect the back 4. it doesn't need to be Savic the whole time. All three of them are pretty dynamic.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's not a DM right now.... Matic started off being a AM as well. It's not difficult to transition. The other thing, If I were to coach united. I would have a revolving 3 midfield where two go up and the other remains behind to protect the back 4. it doesn't need to be Savic the whole time. All three of them are pretty dynamic.
Nice idea, but this doesn't work in practice.

Also 'it's not difficult to transition' is a rather odd statement, considering they are largely completely different roles build around completely different facets of the game (attacking & defending).

You appear to be using one player as evidence that every player can make this transition. In reality, it rarely happens that an offensive-minded player is able to become a sitting defensive midfielder.

beingshe7don

Nice idea, but this doesn't work in practice.

Also 'it's not difficult to transition' is a rather odd statement, considering they are largely completely different roles build around completely different facets of the game (attacking & defending).

You appear to be using one player as evidence that every player can make this transition. In reality, it rarely happens that an offensive-minded player is able to become a sitting defensive midfielder.
I completely agree but Matic and Scholes to name a few made the transition. He makes long passes from the deep with ease and he's great at ball retention and distribution which is essentially what we need in a DM. Yes, he's offensive minded but that's where we would expect one of the three midfielders to remain behind to protect the back 4 if one goes on surging run forward.