Sergio Aguero | Performances

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Matched Henry's goal tally at Arsenal... in 48 less games.

His scoring record is absurd, a true Premier League icon. And still, I think, criminally underrated.

Today probably summed him up perfectly to be honest: outrageously good finish for his goal, and then a niggling injury! We need him back soon for the title race.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
His scoring record is absurd, a true Premier League icon. And still, I think, criminally underrated.

Today probably summed him up perfectly to be honest: outrageously good finish for his goal, and then a niggling injury! We need him back soon for the title race.
He's a great player but he's under rated because he chose the moolah and never pushed himself further. Should have been winning his 4th CL alongside Ronaldo at Real. And were he at real, a few La Ligas too.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
He's a great player but he's under rated because he chose the moolah and never pushed himself further. Should have been winning his 4th CL alongside Ronaldo at Real. And were he at real, a few La Ligas too.
That's a pretty poor wind-up, you're better than that!

He could've chosen more money and more trophies at Real Madrid I suppose. But he chose to try to prove himself in a different league. I'd say he's proven himself.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Because he's looked poor in every big international tournament. With all the club credentials, he really should have done more to help them win an international trophy considering he is playing with Messi and a handful of other great players. He really doesn't have any big international moments.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Because he's looked poor in every big international tournament. With all the club credentials, he really should have done more to help them win an international trophy considering he is playing with Messi and a handful of other great players. He really doesn't have any big international moments.
Certainly he's not been as effective for Argentina as he has in club football, much like Messi. My post referenced the Premier League and his career at Manchester City.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
So, just like Rooney then?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Legend of the league. Still can’t get over the fact we didn’t get him from Atletico.
Thank Alexis Sanchez for that.
If he had chosen City instead of Barcelona in Summer of 2011 they would have not have been in for him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That's a pretty poor wind-up, you're better than that!

He could've chosen more money and more trophies at Real Madrid I suppose. But he chose to try to prove himself in a different league. I'd say he's proven himself.
He's quality and the best player in the league, and he has proven that, but it was hardly a real challenge considering he's part of a club that has two full first teams through cheating is it?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He's quality and the best player in the league, and he has proven that, but it was hardly a real challenge considering he's part of a club that has two full first teams through cheating is it?
Is this the "one man team" City of a couple of years ago?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Suddenly coming into a lot of money is hardly cheating.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He probably meant more the cheating financial fair play through the owners adding the money rather than sponsors.
And paying players through two channels and only reporting one.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That's not what I'm talking about though. Actually cheating their way around FFP rules so that they can spend even more of it. They've literally got two first teams and people act like the records they break are amazing.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
The 22 man first team of now definitely helps, no?
Try signing better players among your heavy turnover in the LVG/JM era and you too can have this.
After all FFP has given you more money to spend than City.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
for me he is still the best striker in the league, just hope he is not injured :( we really need him for the rest of the games

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
We didn't have two full first teams through cheating when he signed, no. We were a team on the up that had just won a trophy for the first time in 35 years. I'd say joining City when he did was more of a risk than joining one of the established elite that apparently he should've joined for a "real challenge"...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We didn't have two full first teams through cheating when he signed, no. We were a team on the up that had just won a trophy for the first time in 35 years. I'd say joining City when he did was more of a risk than joining one of the established elite that apparently he should've joined for a "real challenge"...
That doesn’t change that, as fantastic as he is, it literally couldn’t have been less challenging.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
scoring 228 goals in 328 games with Aguero's injury record is a great achievement and a great challenge. Don't you think scoring 228 goals for City is challenging?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Was probably Argentina's only decent attacker alongside Messi at the WC, got unfairly dropped for saying "ask the manager" or whatever.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sure. If England had Messi.
Rooney was injured for most of them in his prime wasn't he? He also didn't have Messi in his team.
Rooney had the Golden Generation - It's not like he was stuck playing with trash, was it?

There's so much more to international football than who you have in your team, and no team shows this better than England. We watched our most talented group of players under perform tournament after tournament with Rooney as the poster boy, yet I'm supposed to believe that his international career has less of a detrimental effect on his PL great status as Aguero's?

Nonsense. The only things Rooney has over Aguero when it comes to this sort of debate are the fact he's English, played for United & not City, and won a CL in 08 - Only the latter is of any importance.

Truth is, if you offered me an 18 year old Rooney & an 18 year old Aguero, told me how things would play out, and tell me I could sign just one for my club for the next 10-15 years? I'd pick Aguero every day of the week. He's just that good.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Rooney had the Golden Generation - It's not like he was stuck playing with trash, was it?

There's so much more to international football than who you have in your team, and no team shows this better than England. We watched our most talented group of players under perform tournament after tournament with Rooney as the poster boy, yet I'm supposed to believe that his international career has less of a detrimental effect on his PL great status as Aguero's?

Nonsense. The only things Rooney has over Aguero when it comes to this sort of debate are the fact he's English, played for United & not City, and won a CL in 08 - Only the latter is of any importance.

Truth is, if you offered me an 18 year old Rooney & an 18 year old Aguero, told me how things would play out, and tell me I could sign just one for my club for the next 10-15 years? I'd pick Aguero every day of the week. He's just that good.
Aguero has done nothing outside of the PL; Rooney was a mainstay in numerous massive occasions in the CL - they are not on the same plane of existence INT football or not.

Aguero has been a massive let down to this point in his career - he was expected to go on to become an all-time great well before he got to England and he has fallen well short of that because of the poor body of work he has outside of domestic football.

Rooney shone in an international tournament until injury ended it for him, also, Aguero doesn't even have that under his belt.

He's a very good player, but the second-coming of Romario that he was supposed to go on and be, he is way short of.

IFC 1905

Aguero has done nothing outside of the PL; Rooney was a mainstay in numerous massive occasions in the CL - they are not on the same plane of existence INT football or not.

Aguero has been a massive let down to this point in his career - he was expected to go on to become an all-time great well before he got to England and he has fallen well short of that because of the poor body of work he has outside of domestic football.

Rooney shone in an international tournament until injury ended it for him, also, Aguero doesn't even have that under his belt.

He's a very good player, but the second-coming of Romario that he was supposed to go on and be, he is way short of.

If we leave away the fact that he's already one of the best 3 strikers in PL history, you might be right.

And also if we don't mention that Aguero was an Atletico legend already when he went to City.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Aguero is brilliant, but nailed on as one of the top 3 strikers in the premier league ever is still probably a big shout, to me at least.

IFC 1905

Back then when Atletico de Madrid was a total mess with 2-3 good players and the rest being terrible, they have been 10 years without reaching CL group stages. They used to play the old Intertoto cup all the time. That team had nothing to do with this Atleti one and it wasn't known in Europe at all. No trophies since 1996 and a relegation in the middle.

They had one of their most remarkable nights in 2008, where they beat Schalke 04 after a 2-1 loss in Germany. Aguero didn't play the first leg because he was playing the Olympics in Beijing (which he won, scoring a brace against Brazil in sf). Right after winning he travelled from Beijing to Madrid to play the second leg. He arrived a day before or so. Aguero was crucial and the magician of the team, his style was more about dribbling than nowadays. Him and Forlan were the two big players of that team.

This day Atletico made history getting into the CL group stages after 10 years. Nowadays it seems like nothing because they are a competitive team but back then they were nothing compared to that. Aguero had a decent CL groupstage but they had to play EL which they won for the first time vs Fulham, they also reached the Copa del Rey final but they lost vs Sevilla. That for that Atletico team commanded by Quique Sanchez Flores was like being in heaven compared to their previous years. And Aguero & Forlan had legend status already. The relationship between Atleti and Aguero didn't end up that well.

IFC 1905

And Aguero was kinda used to have good performances vs big teams in Spain too. This game vs Barcelona with 19 years of age to me is his best performance ever at Club level. The way he body faints Milito in the first goal is just :drool::drool::drool:
And his fourth goal is just awesome getting rid of both Milito and Puyol. He was involved in 3 out of 4 goals scored that night.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was he called for 2010 WC, can't remember but obviously Maradona chaos and he was very young in those days.

2014 WC yeah minimal impact. Think he was injured in that tournament.

2018 I actually thought he did o.k, 2 goals in 4 games and he didn't start two of them. Again Sampaoli completely losing his mind for about six months in that job didn't help.

Again probably the same case for the Copas, injured or struggled to fit in which Dybala is also having trouble with in the present team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we leave away the fact that he's already one of the best 3 strikers in PL history, you might be right.

And also if we don't mention that Aguero was an Atletico legend already when he went to City.
Neither of that is relevant to what I said. Doesn't change anything at all, as he was expected to become a great before he even got to City, and hasn't met those expectations.

And whether he is top 3 in PL history is more than up for debate in itself, anyway.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
This season he has been playing better then the last few years think this is most likely due to his knee surgery over the summer. After the surgery he said he had been playing in pain for years and couldn't even bend his knee that well. Seemed to have regained some of his mobility this year. In the last few seasons while he continued to score at a crazy rate he didn't provide much else. Now while still mostly being a goal scorer he is involved much more in the build upusndaeven drops deep sometimes. Think it is the overall improvement in his game that people are now talking about how great he is and wondering why he is often overlooked, but he is actually playing much better then he has then the last few seasons.

Reactions: Fortitude

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This season he has been playing better then the last few years think this is most likely due to his knee surgery over the summer. After the surgery he said he had been playing in pain for years and couldn't even bend his knee that well. Seemed to have regained some of his mobility this year. In the last few seasons while he continued to score at a crazy rate he didn't provide much else. Now while still mostly being a goal scorer he is involved much more in the build upusndaeven drops deep sometimes. Think it is the overall improvement in his game that people are now talking about how great he is and wondering why he is often overlooked, but he is actually playing much better then he has then the last few seasons.
Good post. People forget the phenomenon he was at Atletico. It's a bit of a throwback to how he was then with the way he's playing this season.

Although, he really must translate that to the CL for it to really have merit.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's criminal we didn't use the Ronaldo money to buy Aguero. Instead we got Michael Owen on a free? How would Fergie defend that unless his hands were tied by the glazers?

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

I don't think this is entirely fair or accurate. "Nothing outside of the PL" obviously deliberately downplays that he's got the best goals per minute scoring ratio in Premier League history, which is not a minor achievement. But it's also just wrong. He was also excellent at Atletico in La Liga (causing City to shell out for him in the first place), and he has a CL scoring record of 36 in 65 games, not quite at the level of his PL record, but still comfortably better than a goal every other game. He's not had the "massive occasions" in knockout CL football primarily because City's record in the CL is relatively poor. Rooney has goals in CL semi-finals and a losing final, which Aguero doesn't have, but he also has a scoring record that is far inferior to Aguero of 30 in 85, or one every three games, although obviously he did play in a slightly deeper role at times.

With regards to international football, Rooney had the benefit of being the absolute main man for England. It's fair to say England didn't quite have the same attacking options as Argentina during that period, so it's not too much of a surprise that Rooney was more important to England than Aguero was for Argentina. Rooney was excellent for England at Euro 2004, where we were eliminated in the quarter finals, but then did nothing of note at any subsequent tournament. Sure he's England's highest goalscorer (until Kane catches him), but it didn't help England achieve anything beyond a tournament quarter-final.

I'm not trying to say that Rooney wasn't a great player, he obviously was. But trying to argue that Aguero is "not on the same plane" as Rooney is just clearly not accurate, bordering on ludicrous. They're both great players with excellent records and a lot of medals.

What i would give for a player like him in the team. His first half a sniff of goal all game and it's in the back of the net. He might not get in the good positions as easily as he used to but hes as clinical as anyone in the league has ever been.

Jacob

Just a shame we will remember him with this ugly ass haircut from the his last seasons.