Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

He hasn't been tested yet in either games. Still want this De Gea situation sorted either way asap.

prath92

There was a backpass in that game where he was daydreaming and reacted really late. It feels like hes a disaster waiting to happen but he does have good starting positions and looks really secure on crosses.
If you go pick every minor mistakes, you will find one for even neuer.

matt23

He's seems to mouth off more than Dave and he's been here about 3 weeks. Good lad.

FujiVice

In fairness to him, he's played in a World Cup final, so he has no right to be overwhelmed by the Premiership. And Van Gaal believes in him. He looks like he's cool as feck. The likes of away to Villa are the games you should be making mistakes in. But he's done great.

Ixion

I hope we continue to not give him anything to do and never have to find out how much of a weaklink he might be. He's done well so far though.

Devil may care

Have to give him credit for his handling so far, I know he hasn't been tested but I was worried about him on the basics.

Dominos

From the reactions when we signed him from the experts on here, they had me slightly concerned he was going to be a calamity to be honest. He's not been tested greatly but a nervous keeper can make even the most basic stuff look difficult - De Gea used to hesitate coming off his line to collect through balls that were clearly there to be collected for example. There's none of that, he looks composed and confident in everything he's doing - he's got a good frame to deal with aerial balls as well.

Sylar

Since getting through those shaky first 20 minutes on his debut, hes looked solid when called upon. Kept it simple, nothing crazy, and it helps when he has a solid defence ahead of him.

NoPace

Made a horror pass to Carrick that could have led to a goal. Other than that was fine, but had nothing serious to do.

The long-term evidence is that he's a number 2 in terms of quality. No shame in that; Reina, Ter Stegen/Bravo, Cech, Cudicini, Lopez and others have had or look likely to have better careers than Romero and have all been backups for big teams lately.

chetan

It seems he was told not play those chip passes and try to find a player. Played lot of long balls compared to most of our games in recent times (from a GK).

Drifter

American
Not much to do but another clean sheet and distribution as improved.Tougher tests await.

He looked like a deer in the headlights for the first 10 or 20 minutes against Spurs, but he's not put a foot wrong since. If we do lose DDG I wont be against giving him a shot at the Number 1 spot.

He's also massively helping our negotiating position with DDG.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Made a horror pass to Carrick that could have led to a goal. Other than that was fine, but had nothing serious to do.
I think he's used to making such passes while playing for Argentina. He plays running passes to Mascherano, who then is at better angle to pass the ball forward with him facing forward. Our forwards were a little guilty of not making runs to keeping the midfielders occupied which allowed Villa to press Carrick and almost led to the disastrous condition. With better movement from forward, such type of passing can have its advantages for much quicker transition.

ricky-romeo

So far so good.

Not heavily tested yet and that's a credit to our midfield and defense.

Anyway he looks cool as feck in goal.

The Law of Denis

All these people saying Romero is yet to be tested at the big games, this guy is an Olympic gold medalist and played all the way to the Finals of the World Cup and Copa America. I would argue he is more well tested in the big times, "when it really matters", than he is on the normal week-to-week games.

And I finally found a picture of him being happy

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He seems to really admire Van Gaal:

“I owe Louis van Gaal so much. I will tell you what I told the boss the first time we worked together: that when you have an Argentine in your team, you get a never-give-up mentality.

“I find it incredible that I am now at this club after the year that I have had. I wasn’t wanted anywhere else, but I am coming towards the strongest and best part of my football life.”
“It was Van Gaal who made me an international player.

“I will never forget the morning he told me that he had been speaking on the telephone to a certain Mr Maradona and that the coach of Argentina wanted to select me.

“I now want to make him proud again after the crisis of what happened to my hand in Alkmaar.

“I am so proud of where I stand today. My wife and my two kids are so proud. And I know for sure that my father, who is in heaven, is also proud.”
Mirror

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His positioning has been superb so far. And as far as I remember from his games for Argentina, he has a very good reflex also.

Also, he's so calm and imposing on the goal. Never thought I've seen that when playing for his NT.

iHicksy

So far he's had little to do, but when he has been called upon to catch crosses or come for balls his handling has been without fault. Saying that I think the fact many of us were so nervous about his inclusion with his reputation of having a lack of concentration may be influencing our perception of his performances.

There are times when he needs to act more as a sweeper keeper with Smalling expecting him to be rushing out, but we saw the same with De Gea and the understanding will come with time. However, I still wouldn't be comfortable with him being the number 1 for the entire season. I still feel he has a mistake in him. This was exemplified in the pre-match warm-up against villa where a tame shot to his feet was spilled into the net Taibi style. His real test will obviously come when we face an attack minded team, but so far you can't really fault him. Some of the abuse he was getting on this board prior to kicking a ball was shameful.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
His handling on crosses has been good. I get that he's not been tested 100% yet, but other "new" keepers to the league have flapped at the simplest of crosses in their starts in this league. He's done good so far.

arthurka

I felt his understanding with our defence has been great.. He looks calm and composed and the defence picks that up. Hasn't been tested much but looks in command and when called upon to save, catch or kick he's been great..

prath92

I feel sorry for Romero after reading that interview. He didn't have any other offers even though he played 2 of the biggest international offers. LvG knows him and gave him a chance and I'm sure he will give his 200% every game.

I felt the kind of abuse he got here when he signed was unparliamentary. It wasn't his fault that we signed him and he wasn't going to refuse us especially when he had no club. He may not be the best keeper in the world but no way is he a incompetent buffoon like was being made out here. And I'm happy that LvG is getting his rewards for trusting him. Hope he continues this.

VanGaalEra

Hes actually exceptional with the ball at his feet and distribution in general. I feel like a dick head for worrying about him in the side
He's just very calm by the looks of it.

Doesn't seem like he gets flustered much, it can give me a semi heart attack at times, but that's his nature. Seems very confident, which is good.

ChaddyP

He's just very calm by the looks of it.

Doesn't seem like he gets flustered much, it can give me a semi heart attack at times, but that's his nature. Seems very confident, which is good.

Yeah he's actually frighteningly too cool. Almost have to wonder what goes on in his head.

Ananke

He'll end up being our #1 for a while I reckon. DDG is going this summer or next, and this guy I think will prove himself. As someone said he's an 'Olympic gold medalist and played all the way to the Finals of the World Cup and Copa America.' Everyone has a shaky start here because how big the club is, but I feel he's going to settle well.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He makes me nervous. Maybe when the window shuts and all eyes come off him a bit i can stop changing my undies at half time.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
From wikipedia
In 2008–09, Romero kept a 950-minute clean sheet for AZ from November to February. However, on 5 March 2009, he made a mistake which allowed NAC Breda's Nourdin Boukhari to score for a 2–1 defeat in the quarter-finals of the KNVB Cup; he responded after the game by punching the door and walls of his team's changing room, breaking bones in his hand and ruling himself out at a crucial stage of the season
A little loco but that defence record is something even in a below-par league esp the one which focuses on attack so much.
On 11 July, Romero was named on the three-man shortlist for FIFA's Golden Glove award for the tournament's best goalkeeper due to his performances that led his team to the final
Tbh, I have seen the recent Argentina side to be a solid defensive unit and that is unlikely to happen without a quality goal keeper. A bad goal keeper (or an uncertain) one makes the entire defense nervous.

Every goalkeeper makes mistake and there is a few mistakes even in the best of keeper. Romero looks a good goalkeeper and he is not as mistake prone as we make out him to be from the youtube blooper videos. Plus he has the attributes to play in a high line.

Status
Not open for further replies.