Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocho

I suffer him in the selección Argentina. He is not good enough for Argentina nor for United, case closed.

Roux

Have my heart in my mouth everytime he receives a backpass - why does he wait until an opposition player is 3 inches away before he hoofs it???

ZDwyr

Have my heart in my mouth everytime he receives a backpass - why does he wait until an opposition player is 3 inches away before he hoofs it???
This is my worry too. I assumed he would be good with the ball at his feet because Van Gaal signed him, but if anything he is probably the worst at the club?

Loublaze

ATLien
This is my worry too. I assumed he would be good with the ball at his feet because Van Gaal signed him, but if anything he is probably the worst at the club?
He's decent with the ball at his feet in all honesty

Loublaze

ATLien
I suffer him in the selección Argentina. He is not good enough for Argentina nor for United, case closed.
Why is he the most capped goalkeeper in Argentina history? The country must have shit goalies. Who's better than him in Argentina? World cup and Copa America finalist. Haters will hate

Loublaze

ATLien
Well I haven't seen it if he is. That one he basically passed to Shelvey almost cost us another goal against Swansea.
Its easy to highlight one or two mistakes and use them as a sweeping statement. Don't tell me De Gea hasn't done the same before because he has. De Gea's distribution looked very shaky in the early games of last season

Roboc7

Hopefully we won't see him in goal for a little while now, need to get de gea back in ASAP. Romero is fine as a Backup but as a starter he is probably amongst the worst 3 keepers in the league.

prath92

Hopefully we won't see him in goal for a little while now, need to get de gea back in ASAP. Romero is fine as a Backup but as a starter he is probably amongst the worst 3 keepers in the league.
Haha hyperbole at its finest. He is better than most keepers save the top 4 ones and maybe lloris. Frankly he is even a little better than mignolet from what I've seen of both

Roboc7

Haha hyperbole at its finest. He is better than most keepers save the top 4 ones and maybe lloris. Frankly he is even a little better than mignolet from what I've seen of both
Not at all, it's a simple fact he is not a good goalkeeper and would struggle to get a game at pretty much every premier league team. Just because we signed him there is no need to pretend he is much better than he actually is, he has been a backup in inferior leagues for the last three seasons and he his last spell as a number one was in serie b.

He couldn't make the step up to serie A and was released on a free transfer and struggling to find a club. Like out or not mignolet has proven himself at a higher level, laughable you are trying to suggest Romero is one of top keepers in the league. No doubt you have watched about two games and decided that overrules years of a very average career.

prath92

Not at all, it's a simple fact he is not a good goalkeeper and would struggle to get a game at pretty much every premier league team. Just because we signed him there is no need to pretend he is much better than he actually is, he has been a backup in inferior leagues for the last three seasons and he his last spell as a number one was in serie b.

He couldn't make the step up to serie A and was released on a free transfer and struggling to find a club. Like out or not mignolet has proven himself at a higher level, laughable you are trying to suggest Romero is one of top keepers in the league. No doubt you have watched about two games and decided that overrules years of a very average career.
He was cast away as a second or third choice because of his wages. Not because he was a bad keeper. He was first choice at sampdoria till they shunted him to Monaco because they couldn't pay his wages. He didn't play much in Monaco but ended up having a good World Cup that year. He refused to terminate his contract upon return to sampdoria because of which he was frozen out and wasn't given a chance.

He is someone who is #1 for Argentina and once held a record for minutes without conceding with AZ. He is not a stupid keeper by any margin. He will start at all of the bottom 10 clubs and can definitely be equal to mignolet. Mignolet hasn't proven anything at top level and is error prone just as much as Romero is. He has been part of teams that effectively finished lower to mid table in the PL except one year and he will never make it to the Belgian team without injuries to courtois.

No team expecting to win the World Cup will wantedly keep a goalkeeper who isn't good especially when speroni was #1 for crystal palace and caballero was #2 for city and by your own logic, 'superior keepers'.

You seem to know absolutely nothing at all and make judgements based on what you think is write reading his stats on Wikipedia page probably. Just because you don't like him doesn't make him a bad keeper. I never said he was a top keeper. I said he is in the list after the top keepers. With fabianski Mignolet vorm and all.

Roboc7

He was cast away as a second or third choice because of his wages. Not because he was a bad keeper. He was first choice at sampdoria till they shunted him to Monaco because they couldn't pay his wages. He didn't play much in Monaco but ended up having a good World Cup that year. He refused to terminate his contract upon return to sampdoria because of which he was frozen out and wasn't given a chance.

He is someone who is #1 for Argentina and once held a record for minutes without conceding with AZ. He is not a stupid keeper by any margin. He will start at all of the bottom 10 clubs and can definitely be equal to mignolet. Mignolet hasn't proven anything at top level and is error prone just as much as Romero is. He has been part of teams that effectively finished lower to mid table in the PL except one year and he will never make it to the Belgian team without injuries to courtois.

No team expecting to win the World Cup will wantedly keep a goalkeeper who isn't good especially when speroni was #1 for crystal palace and caballero was #2 for city and by your own logic, 'superior keepers'.

You seem to know absolutely nothing at all and make judgements based on what you think is write reading his stats on Wikipedia page probably. Just because you don't like him doesn't make him a bad keeper. I never said he was a top keeper. I said he is in the list after the top keepers. With fabianski Mignolet vorm and all.
No point making stuff up he was dropped at sampdoria and that's why they moved him on, just because you like him doesn't make him a good keeper. He couldn't get a game at sampdoria or Monaco because he isn't a particularly good keeper simple as that. In the one game he has been tested here he came up short and that will happen more and more if we rely on him.

He was lucky to be picked by Argentina most teams would have dropped because they did have keepers playing at a higher level but international football isn't really the best way a to judge players so I think it means very little. I think there are very few teams in the league who would swap their number one for someone who made lots of errors and was dropped by a mid table italian team.

Romero said it best himself no one else wanted him.

prath92

No point making stuff up he was dropped at sampdoria and that's why they moved him on, just because you like him doesn't make him a good keeper. He couldn't get a game at sampdoria or Monaco because he isn't a particularly good keeper simple as that. In the one game he has been tested here he came up short and that will happen more and more if we rely on him.

He was lucky to be picked by Argentina most teams would have dropped because they did have keepers playing at a higher level but international football isn't really the best way a to judge players so I think it means very little. I think there are very few teams in the league who would swap their number one for someone who made lots of errors and was dropped by a mid table italian team.

Romero said it best himself no one else wanted him.
He was frozen out of the team. It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not. It's the truth.
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2014/09/09/romero-frozen-out-at-sampdoria-after-manchester-city-rejection/

most of the keepers in the PL are themselves the same as what you described.

He made lot of saves in the games vs Spurs, Brugge and even against Swansea including the 1v1 against Brugge that he saved when the score was at 1-0. In the Swansea game he made a mistake. Mignolet also let in a goal after being beaten on his near post (west ham's third goal). The point is that besides de gea it's very common that keepers make mistakes.

He said he didn't have any offers yet, as it was just mid July when we contacted him. About 15 days into the window. His wages were the main reason which was the deterrent for many clubs anyway. No one signed valdes in the window does that mean he is not good too?

You don't like him. thats fine. But don't assume things. You say he is lucky for Argentina. Lucky that about 3 different managers chose him over the others? Do you think a team with winning aspirations will chose a keeper based on nothing? At least 4 managers including lvg thought that he is a very good keeper. And as for the PL, as I said he is around Mignolet level. Good but not great. Same as Mignolet. He would definitely start at most of the bottom 10 or so. Whether they will take him (mainly because Of his wages. Not because he isn't good enough)is not the issue. He is easily better than the starting keepers there.

SambaBoy

I remember reading on the Argentina WC 2014 page on this forum about how it was shocking that Romero was chosen over Cabellaro and that most Argie fans and followers thought it was a shocking decision so I don't get the whole he plays for Argentina argument as to his ability.

I don't think he's a terrible keeper but he's not someone you win the league with in nets, he looks like a mistake waiting to happen and the Swansea game was a bad performance. His distribution has put us in a few tight spots already, and he seems hesitant.

Loublaze

ATLien
I remember reading on the Argentina WC 2014 page on this forum about how it was shocking that Romero was chosen over Cabellaro and that most Argie fans and followers thought it was a shocking decision so I don't get the whole he plays for Argentina argument as to his ability.

I don't think he's a terrible keeper but he's not someone you win the league with in nets, he looks like a mistake waiting to happen and the Swansea game was a bad performance. His distribution has put us in a few tight spots already, and he seems hesitant.
Not true. I know a lot of Argentinians who were fine with his selection and only questioned his match time for his club, which was also a concern for the less experienced 2nd choice Andujar. Third choice Orion was a Boca regular but deemed not good enough mostly because he played in the domestic league. You must be having a laugh when it comes to Cabellaro, you're better even mentioning German Lux or Ustari.

Were Argie fans shocked before WC 2014 whenever Romero played? Where they shocked when he was selected as number 1 at the 2010 WC? He's been highly rated in his homeland since he won the 2007 U-20 world cup and the 2008 gold cup at the Olympics. Matter of fact he won the Dutch title in 09 as well as the Dutch Supercup and he took this amazing run of wins into the WC 2010. He's simply the best out of an average bunch of Argentinian goalies. Cabellaro...you made me laugh, he's never even featured for the senior team. CAF members play too much FM

Last edited:

SambaBoy

Not true. I know a lot of Argentinians who were fine with his selection and only questioned his match time for his club, which was also a concern for the less experienced 2nd choice Andujar. Third choice Orion was a Boca regular but deemed not good enough mostly because he played in the domestic league. You must be having a laugh when it comes to Cabellaro, you're better even mentioning German Lux or Ustari.

Were Argie fans shocked before WC 2014 whenever Romero played? Where they shocked when he was selected as number 1 at the 2010 WC? He's been highly rated in his homeland since he won the 2007 U-20 world cup and the 2008 gold cup at the Olympics. Matter of fact he won the Dutch title in 09 as well as the Dutch Supercup and he took this amazing run of wins into the WC 2010. He's simply the best out of an average bunch of Argentinian goalies. Cabellaro...you made me laugh, he's never even featured for the senior team. CAF members play too much FM
Cabellaro had just had his best season for Malaga and he was very impressive. There was no doubt that most were surprised when he wasn't called up and cited it as a bad decision.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/argentina-at-the-wc.390716/

Quite a lot mentioning of posters mentioning the goalkeeping situation.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Romero is terrible, best news for United is the possibility of De Gea renewing and benching this rental

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Caballero is a far better goalkeeper than Romero. Not even close.

Lyricist

Caballero played an incredible season that year with Malaga and almost singlehandedly got them past Dortmund and into the semi finals of the CL. Romero on the other hand didn't even feature for his team. He was also already shaky at the 2010 WC. Look up the 1st goal in Argentina's 4-0 quarter final loss to Germany.

Not meaning to talk down the current Romero here but I'm pretty sure the majority of people wanted to see Caballero in Argentina's goal in 2014.

Pocho

Why is he the most capped goalkeeper in Argentina history? The country must have shit goalies. Who's better than him in Argentina? World cup and Copa America finalist. Haters will hate
We don´t have good goal keepers, we only make forwards like Aguero, Dybala, Correa, Lavezzi and Gaitan. SO if Romero isn´t our best goalie he is close to be.

SirAF

Ageist
He's probably not going to play again this season, but he is still at a much better place than before his transfer.

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
Thank god De gea is back wont miss Romero one bit he's destined for some team like West Brom can't belive he was compared to Begovic on here yesterday.

Loublaze

ATLien
Cabellaro had just had his best season for Malaga and he was very impressive. There was no doubt that most were surprised when he wasn't called up and cited it as a bad decision.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/argentina-at-the-wc.390716/

Quite a lot mentioning of posters mentioning the goalkeeping situation.
Caballero is a far better goalkeeper than Romero. Not even close.
Caballero played an incredible season that year with Malaga and almost singlehandedly got them past Dortmund and into the semi finals of the CL. Romero on the other hand didn't even feature for his team. He was also already shaky at the 2010 WC. Look up the 1st goal in Argentina's 4-0 quarter final loss to Germany.

Not meaning to talk down the current Romero here but I'm pretty sure the majority of people wanted to see Caballero in Argentina's goal in 2014.
Why hasn't he ever played for the senior Argentina NT? I considered Lux and Ustari to be better goalies. @Pocho what is your opinion on this?

Pocho

Caballero is better but he never was considered by any trainer. Maybe because he gave his best being almost 30 years.

Roboc7

He was frozen out of the team. It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not. It's the truth.
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2014/09/09/romero-frozen-out-at-sampdoria-after-manchester-city-rejection/

most of the keepers in the PL are themselves the same as what you described.

He made lot of saves in the games vs Spurs, Brugge and even against Swansea including the 1v1 against Brugge that he saved when the score was at 1-0. In the Swansea game he made a mistake. Mignolet also let in a goal after being beaten on his near post (west ham's third goal). The point is that besides de gea it's very common that keepers make mistakes.

He said he didn't have any offers yet, as it was just mid July when we contacted him. About 15 days into the window. His wages were the main reason which was the deterrent for many clubs anyway. No one signed valdes in the window does that mean he is not good too?

You don't like him. thats fine. But don't assume things. You say he is lucky for Argentina. Lucky that about 3 different managers chose him over the others? Do you think a team with winning aspirations will chose a keeper based on nothing? At least 4 managers including lvg thought that he is a very good keeper. And as for the PL, as I said he is around Mignolet level. Good but not great. Same as Mignolet. He would definitely start at most of the bottom 10 or so. Whether they will take him (mainly because Of his wages. Not because he isn't good enough)is not the issue. He is easily better than the starting keepers there.
Considering he wasn't playing first team football yes I think he was lucky but like it's stupid to use international football as evidence of him being a good keeper, Casillas was preferred to de Gea after all.

I haven't assumed anything but you clearly have by deciding being Argentina number one means he is better than most of the keepers in the league. He wasn't good enough for sampdoria, wasn't good enough for Monaco and like I said he wouldn't start for most premier league sides. He is viewed as a backup and that's about it, we will never be able to prove it external way because he will sit on the bench now and that won't change even if de gea does go to madrid.

Unfortunately for Romero the first time he was really tested he came up short, other than one good save against Brugge he showed nothing of any note. His career shows he is error prone, slow and doesn't have the best reflexes, that was the case against Swansea and I don't see that changing.

I actually don't dislike him I just don't see need to pretend he is any good just because we signed him and I don't see why anyone would expect a backup to suddenly be good enough to start.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'd been playing second choice at Sampdoria and Monaco, of course he's happy with being second choice at Manchester United.

Devil may care

He'd been playing second choice at Sampdoria and Monaco, of course he's happy with being second choice at Manchester United.
Exactly, there are mediocre keepers all over the world that would be happy to pick up a good wage sitting on our bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.