Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natener

Flaps at every shot, drops every cross and corner, something something... Always a mistake waiting to happen I'm told. Seems today's another game it got kept waiting.

klayton88

Flaps at every shot, drops every cross and corner, something something... Always a mistake waiting to happen I'm told. Seems today's another game it got kept waiting.
He did all of those things in his first few games for us but he has come on leaps and bounds and I have much more confidence in him now.

Gjx

10 clean sheets in 15 appearances. Not too shabby for second choice.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Hope we stick with him even in the final. Better than DDG this season IMO.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Completely agree. He has obviously played less games and he's not as good a shot stopper but he is far more commanding in the box than DDG.
DDG has become overrated. I think he started playing less well after the last change of GK coach, 2 years ago?

Speaking of shot stopping, DDG hasn't regularly pulled out anything too super for the last 1-2 years. Too often he stays rooted to the spot and doesn't even try. I hate seeing that.

Shady

People should really calm down. He is nowhere near the level of De Gea.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Flawless performance but what questions were asked?

Given the importance and financial implications of these games DDG should be starting.

MullerUtd

I think he's almost certain to play in the final now If Jose drops him for De Gea if we make it to the final, that's pretty damning considering he played in ALL of our Europa League matches so that's a dilemma for Jose. I still think we should drop him for De Gea if we make it to the final, De Gea is still our best player and our #1 goalkeeper so it doesn't make sense to play your #2 goalkeeper in a one-off final which is definitely our most important game of the season. Have there been any situations like this? Wasn't Caballero dropped for Hart in the FA Cup final a few seasons back even though he played in all the matches? Not too sure.

Shady

He's not far off. His performance in the EL have been as good as Dave would've given us.
Fair, but he did spill the ball in a very dangerous position against Anderlecht. Could have cost us massively.

Just don't see him performing anywhere close to De Gea over the course of a season. People are fast to forget how many times David saved us under van Gaal.

Sylar

DDG is of course a better keeper, but Romero is no mug. He deserves to keep his place in the EL ties.
And yet another clean sheet. Madness.

Unlikely lad

I think he's almost certain to play in the final now If Jose drops him for De Gea if we make it to the final, that's pretty damning considering he played in ALL of our Europa League matches so that's a dilemma for Jose. I still think we should drop him for De Gea if we make it to the final, De Gea is still our best player and our #1 goalkeeper so it doesn't make sense to play your #2 goalkeeper in a one-off final which is definitely our most important game of the season. Have there been any situations like this? Wasn't Caballero dropped for Hart in the FA Cup final a few seasons back even though he played in all the matches? Not too sure.
He's played all the games in the KO rounds, but De Gea played half the games in the group stage.

Trizy

People should really calm down. He is nowhere near the level of De Gea.
It's madness! :lol:.. People forget that DeGea is the best in the world cause he's not called into action as much as the 3 previous seasons. This isn't due to decline it's due to a Jose ruthless defense!!

Anyway Romero was great again today, such a brilliant no.2.

Son Of Sam

Romero' stats look very good.

15 games
10 clean sheets
5 goals conceded.

I am not sure if it's about his quality or he mostly starts against weaker opponents. He was excellent today but he's nowhere near De Gea.

Zoo

DDG has become overrated. I think he started playing less well after the last change of GK coach, 2 years ago?

Speaking of shot stopping, DDG hasn't regularly pulled out anything too super for the last 1-2 years. Too often he stays rooted to the spot and doesn't even try. I hate seeing that.
Nah.

RedFish

It's not just about who's the better keeper of the two, it's the psychology of keeping a unified squad that's playing well, going into the final should we get there. It's not worth risking the momentum we've built up thus far in my opinion, especially given that performance wise Romero hasn't given Mourinho any reason to drop him. I'm sure Mourinho has his mind made up and I bet anything that he'll start the Argentine.

wr8_utd

:'(
I think he has a slightly strange way of making his saves but it's effective. Love the guy and he fully deserves to keep his place. I also don't feel worried when he comes for the ball from corners/set pieces.

Utdstar01

Love how imposing he looks and completely in control of everything that comes into the box.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

De Gea is definitely not overrated, our defence has improved and so we've been less reliant on him. For sure one of the best in the world.

Stadjer

I remember him from his AZ Alkmaar time but he has improved a lot. He played really well tonight, dominated the box.

Would he be able to dominate like that in the premier league too though? Premier League goalkeeping is unique with less protection from the referees.

tekkers3

Very good back up to have, and at least at the moment, content to play cup games behind De Gea. By no means would it make it any better if De Gea left, because any team aspiring to be the best needs a top squad and any one can be injured at any point, including De Gea

Bestie07

What I really like about him is that he is not afraid to come out of his line to collect the ball from onrushing attackers and help the defence. That is my one issue with De Gea, who often stays at his line and prefers to let the defence deal with it or make the save.

Web of Bissaka

Completely agree. He has obviously played less games and he's not as good a shot stopper but he is far more commanding in the box than DDG.
What I really like about him is that he is not afraid to come out of his line to collect the ball from onrushing attackers and help the defence. That is my one issue with De Gea, who often stays at his line and prefers to let the defence deal with it or make the save.
Agree, especially since Rojo the defense commander is absent, he commands and organize the defense especially during set-pieces which De Gea are not quite capable of doing plus Romero's a better distributor of balls, useful in counter attacks.

De Gea's shot stopping ability is definitely world class standard, but even one of the world's best have their limitations.

204Red

DDG is the better Keeper

But how come Romero has never stuck for a club side (he's clearly quite good)... didn't we sign him as free agent?

red4ever 79

Solid and dependable again. I get people saying De Gea should start as he is the better keeper, however for people then to justify it and state Romero is dodgy or makes mistakes is wrong. I feel more than confident when he plays. One of Van Gaals only signings that worked out.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Solid and dependable again. I get people saying De Gea should start as he is the better keeper, however for people then to justify it and state Romero is dodgy or makes mistakes is wrong. I feel more than confident when he plays. One of Van Gaals only signings that worked out.
More confident than when De Gea plays?

red4ever 79

More confident than when De Gea plays?
I wouldnt say more confident. Look De Gea is one of the top 3 GK's in the world. However it is easy to see how much work has gone into our backline this season. Our shape, positioning is top class. We dont concede many goals despite having to consistently rotate our cb's. Romero has great strength, good distribution and is a good shot stopper.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I wouldnt say more confident. Look De Gea is one of the top 3 GK's in the world. However it is easy to see how much work has gone into our backline this season. Our shape, positioning is top class. We dont concede many goals despite having to consistently rotate our cb's. Romero has great strength, good distribution and is a good shot stopper.
No disagreements there. He has exceeded my expectations as a back-up. Still don't think he is anymore than that at this club. Will keep him for another season for sure. He could be good for the League and the FA cup games.

kundalini

I remember him from his AZ Alkmaar time but he has improved a lot. He played really well tonight, dominated the box.

Would he be able to dominate like that in the premier league too though? Premier League goalkeeping is unique with less protection from the referees.
He has already started 5 PL games for United. A small sample but still. Very poor against Swansea away but perfectly fine in the other 4 games, didn't concede a goal.

I would imagine there might be a few matches against very tall opponents that might be problematic but no more so than for any other keeper.

red4ever 79

He has already started 5 PL games for United. A small sample but still. Very poor against Swansea away but perfectly fine in the other 4 games, didn't concede a goal.

I would imagine there might be a few matches against very tall opponents that might be problematic but no more so than any other keeper.
Exactly, and yet many people are still claiming he is dodgy.

red4ever 79

No disagreements there. He has exceeded my expectations as a back-up. Still don't think he is anymore than that at this club. Will keep him for another season for sure. He could be good for the League and the FA cup games.
If De Gea goes (which he could do this summer) We have to get Oblak who I have seen a lot of and rate tremendously high, and keep Romero

Status
Not open for further replies.