Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

After this performance I can't help but feel that if Romero (or any decent goalies, tbh) also had to play behind a shaky defense and an incompetent midfield (that provides zero-to-none cover and quick to give the ball away) like how De Gea did in previous seasons he would have probably done just as well. This is probably a (very) knee-jerk judgment but I do think DG was overrated, in terms of how well he performed when played along not-so-good defenders, simply because the goalkeeper would certainly have many more opportunities to stand out if he had to deal with a large number of dangerous situations. Not that the praise was undeserved, of course, but like in the last match majority of the shots came straight at the goalie and in some way expected to be saved (positioning! yeah I know, but to be fair isn't getting in the right position what decent goalkeepers anywhere should be capable of?! The penalty save was inexcusably great though, but penalties have always been more of a mind gambling game). To be more straightforward, I think the main reason why DG (during that period, and Romero yesterday) received such recognition was because we played like a mid-table team, unable to organize attacks from behind and constantly letting our goalkeeper shine against their shooting practice. Always make me sad that United in recent years give so much spotlight to goalkeepers and yet unable to retain their loyalty, as if allowing them to succeed through our defensive weakness is not such a good idea after all. (*sigh*)
It is a massive knee jerk reaction, DDG was outstanding and some of the saves he made most keepers wouldn't he is genuinely one of the top keepers in the world and has proven that over a long period of time. On that same time Romero was playing in serie b, getting dropped by sampdoria, put up for sale with no interest, sent out on loan as backup to an average keeper and spent two years as a backup here.

Romero has had a good season but he has made mistakes against Blackburn and anderlecht (but got away with them) and in his first season he cost us the game at Swansea and he is has been a backup for most of his career.People are judging him over too short a period, even mignolet can look good for short spells, playing week in week out, dealing with pressure and recovering from mistakes make playing regularly completely different. Going with Romero is a huge risk because he hasn't proven he can do that, it's more likely he is a decent keeper in a good run of form than a genuine contender to replace DDG.

Geekie

It is a massive knee jerk reaction, DDG was outstanding and some of the saves he made most keepers wouldn't he is genuinely one of the top keepers in the world and has proven that over a long period of time. On that same time Romero was playing in serie b, getting dropped by sampdoria, put up for sale with no interest, sent out on loan as backup to an average keeper and spent two years as a backup here.

Romero has had a good season but he has made mistakes against Blackburn and anderlecht (but got away with them) and in his first season he cost us the game at Swansea and he is has been a backup for most of his career.People are judging him over too short a period, even mignolet can look good for short spells, playing week in week out, dealing with pressure and recovering from mistakes make playing regularly completely different. Going with Romero is a huge risk because he hasn't proven he can do that, it's more likely he is a decent keeper in a good run of form than a genuine contender to replace DDG.
I understand what you're saying but my point is not whether Romero is better than DG or he could step in to replace DG, but that our sub-par midfield and defence have made them look better than they really are. Clubs doing well don't usually fuss so much about whether their no.1 goalkeeper would stay next season.

Roboc7

I understand what you're saying but my point is not whether Romero is better than DG or he could step in to replace DG, but that our sub-par midfield and defence have made them look better than they really are. Clubs doing well don't usually fuss so much about whether their no.1 goalkeeper would stay next season.
That's because their keepers aren't as good as DDG, there is a lot of fuss because he is world class, there would be similar fuss if Bayern or Chelsea were going to lose their keepers. It is a shame we have been so reliant on DDG at times but people quickly forget just how good he was and it might take him leaving for people to remember.

Festive Sandvich

Losing DDG would be a blow to any team in the world, but the performances of this guy this season (and Perreira as backup) gives me hope that we'll be alright next season, without needlessly spunking a load of cash on a GK that will likely be no better.

Geekie

That's because their keepers aren't as good as DDG, there is a lot of fuss because he is world class, there would be similar fuss if Bayern or Chelsea were going to lose their keepers. It is a shame we have been so reliant on DDG at times but people quickly forget just how good he was and it might take him leaving for people to remember.
Exactly my point, Chelsea and Bayern are doing well so they don't have to worry about their keepers leaving. No matter how good the keeper is he should never be allowed to play such a central role to the team's performance but we somehow let that happen, and yet I do think even having a keeper not as good as DG would not have a big impact if we managed to improve other areas. I'd be too happy if he stayed but it's pretty lame to me whenever we try to keep hold of players knowing they will leave sooner or later instead of decisively seeking for replacement.

MAME DIOUF 32

I didn't see the logic in not picking Romero today. Given that he's only played occasionally this season, you'd think playing this afternoon would have helped him stay sharp before the final.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I didn't see the logic in not picking Romero today. Given that he's only played occasionally this season, you'd think playing this afternoon would have helped him stay sharp before the final.
He played last Wednesday. Most players don't play for 1 week between league games. Chill :lol:

Moonred

Deserves a lot of praise. Been solid everytime and never had any concern starting a final over one of the best in the world.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Had nothing to do tonight but has certainly had an excellent EL campaign. Deserves a lot of credit.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Pipe and slippers job tonight but has been great, I hope he stays and does not move into a role for Marvel or what have you as it is clear he is a superior being and only gave a couple of goals away to protect his identity. Even tried it at the end there the sneaky clarkiekentfecka. On to you Sergio.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Happy for him.

Losing 3 finals with Argentina was very cruel, especially as he didn't make mistakes in any of them.

Nick7

He looks so cool when collection balls out of the air. Chewing his gum like a mad man when he lands.

mu4c_20le

It's been said countless times, but he's one of the best backup keepers we've ever had.

kundalini

With how many different combinations of defence in front of him? Belting stats for any 'keeper nevermind a #2
17 different combinations that started the match, just one repeat back four. 5 right-backs, 4 left-backs. 2 matches using 3 central defenders.

According to Squawka, in PL and Europa League, 32 saves, 4 goals conceded. To provide some context, the best keepers in the PL typically finish the season with a saves to goals conceded ratio between 2.10 and 2.5. Poor performers might be close to 1.6 saves per goal. Obviously Europa League a weaker competition so might expect better numbers.

If you take Romero last season in PL and this season in PL, he has 14 saves, 2 goals conceded. De Gea 135 saves, 62 goals conceded over the same period (this season and last season in PL). For Europa League (this season and last season) De Gea 17 saves, 7 goals conceded. Romero 27 saves, 7 goals conceded

Last edited:

DeOddi

His distribution from the back was absolute class. Pinpoint passes to Fellaini upfront all game long.

Alabaster Codify7

He was flawless, again, really.

Yknow what. I don't think he's United quality as a first choice, BUT, if Jose decides to move forward with him while spending the DDG cash on other positions - I won't be distraught. Think about Roy Carroll. Romero is way better and at least deserves a shot.

Alabaster Codify7

It's been said countless times, but he's one of the best backup keepers we've ever had.
One of?

Having a laugh.

Argentina's number 1 (or former I don't know) and the lad has literally not put a foot wrong.
He SHITS over every single #2 by a wide margin. Great little keeper.

mu4c_20le

It was not a slight on Romero, but not to disrespect the number of solid backups we've had over the history of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.