Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Geeez you are easily sold. He has looked a backup player filling in when needed... no way near 1st team level. Don't get carried away by the crap teams we have struggled against in the Europa League this season.
I'm inclined to agree. He's been very solid, but he's not been asked to make the kind of saves we've seen DDG make in the past. They're what make the difference when you get to the level we're aiming to be, and I don't think he has that in him.

klayton88

Just voted him my MOTM and says he has 93% of the vote, just curious if any United player has had a bigger caf percentage? If so, who and which game?

Dante

Average bang
If he could improve his catching, he'd be in the top tier of PL goalkeepers. He's not too far off as it is, though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm inclined to agree. He's been very solid, but he's not been asked to make the kind of saves we've seen DDG make in the past. They're what make the difference when you get to the level we're aiming to be, and I don't think he has that in him.
Probably because he hasn't played much over the past couple of years. The diving safe he made tonight was as good as most De Gea saves.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If he could improve his catching, he'd be in the top tier of PL goalkeepers. He's not too far off as it is, though.
I agree with he's catching but i can't think of a single time his clearances have lead to a goal. Although i do remember a few tricky situations they have lead to.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
87 caps. 175 league apps.

Must be the player in the world with lowest cap to league app ratio surely.

Dante

Average bang
I agree with he's catching but i can't think of a single time his clearances have lead to a goal. Although i do remember a few tricky situations they have lead to.
There are fine margins when it comes to the best 'keepers.

It's not always about what you do, it's about how you affect those around you when you do it.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Scoring goals is our problem, not keeping them out. He is more than adequate to be our number 1 next year, it's down the other end we need to be concentrating on.

Sylar

17 appearances, 11 clean sheets. Avg rating. 6.5.
Tough crowd.

And yeah, I was actually confident he would save the penalty tonight when they stepped up. Nuts.

WelshManc

I'm thinking the same.
José has already said that Sergio will play in the final and that all 3 of his goalkeepers were gonna play in each of the final 3 league games, Joel is in goal vs Palace. For all we know De Gea might have played his final game for the club.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Scoring goals is our problem, not keeping them out. He is more than adequate to be our number 1 next year, it's down the other end we need to be concentrating on.
Exactly.
The worry is scoring goals.
Scoring 0 or 1 goal per game (which is where we are now at) saw LVG get fired and Jose needs to be aware that the current tactic of scoring 0 goals per game will see him get fired next season.
If he is not ruthless this Summer, then like LVG, we will start the season with a bunch of attackers who can't score more than 5 league goals per season and he will be sacked in 12 months.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
87 caps. 175 league apps.

Must be the player in the world with lowest cap to league app ratio surely.
And it's the quality of those caps that's mental. Runs to the final in a World Cup and two Copa Americas. Not to mention difficult South American qualifiers. So we're talking a good number of those caps are in the most intense of international matches possible.

But according to some he hasn't shown anything worthy of being selected 1st choice.

Acole9

Outstanding
That was a very good penalty save from him. Pulled off some other good stops in the match too, well deserved man of the match award. He came across well in his interview with Sky too.

Web of Bissaka

:DChewing gum while goalkeeping.

MOTM today, almost perfect for me 9+/10 rating, after he did the one and only mistake ~ a poor clearance once during first half I think.

Great saves and keeping today, especially against Southampton's high ammunition of crosses and set piece deliveries.

For once, for the full 90+ mins match, I feel safe today because of him, confident we will keep a clean sheet today.

Red4Life_#7

Exactly. Very good number 2 thou... But he is no De Gea, Neuer etc

Giggs86

Mourinho's already said Pereira will be playing v Palace and Romero in the final. He said next time we will see De Gea is in pre-season.
Unless Romero gets himself sent off in the final :nervous:

TehRed

He seems like a lovely guy. He's done really well for us. I still see us signing another goalkeeper if De Gea leaves, and I suppose part of the rationale for that might be that you'd like to capitalize on having a goalkeeper of Romero's quality who is happy to be the backup. If Romero became our number one choice in the event of De Gea leaving, our backup options don't look very good at all.

Giggs86

I would feel more comfortable with Romero between the sticks if the final goes to penalties.

SATA

South Americans players generally don't bother to learn English while they are here and Romero already speaks quite well for someone who has only been here for a couple of years

Ban

I understand people saying he's good nr. 2 but not good enough for being nr. 1.

But.

With our defense being even better than this season, which I think it will be, he won't have much to do, maybe 2, 3 saves per game (of course more in some games) and I think he would be good enough for that.

Geekie

After this performance I can't help but feel that if Romero (or any decent goalies, tbh) also had to play behind a shaky defense and an incompetent midfield (that provides zero-to-none cover and quick to give the ball away) like how De Gea did in previous seasons he would have probably done just as well. This is probably a (very) knee-jerk judgment but I do think DG was overrated, in terms of how well he performed when played along not-so-good defenders, simply because the goalkeeper would certainly have many more opportunities to stand out if he had to deal with a large number of dangerous situations. Not that the praise was undeserved, of course, but like in the last match majority of the shots came straight at the goalie and in some way expected to be saved (positioning! yeah I know, but to be fair isn't getting in the right position what decent goalkeepers anywhere should be capable of?! The penalty save was inexcusably great though, but penalties have always been more of a mind gambling game). To be more straightforward, I think the main reason why DG (during that period, and Romero yesterday) received such recognition was because we played like a mid-table team, unable to organize attacks from behind and constantly letting our goalkeeper shine against their shooting practice. Always make me sad that United in recent years give so much spotlight to goalkeepers and yet unable to retain their loyalty, as if allowing them to succeed through our defensive weakness is not such a good idea after all. (*sigh*)

Zoo

South Americans players generally don't bother to learn English while they are here and Romero already speaks quite well for someone who has only been here for a couple of years
He spent 4 years in Holland, I think he would have started learning it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.