Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So presumably if you'd taken over at Chelsea this year you'd have sold Hazard and Costa off the back of their awful season the year before and replaced them with a load of Leicester players instead?
I'm not going to participate in these mindbendingly pointless thought experiments. You look at a player's recent form to evaluate them, not what they did years ago or what their reputation is among other fans.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Wouldn't be totally against him being our #1 if the dopey faced llama leaves.

Good shot stopping, actually commands his field (a rarity with foreign keepers without much PL experience) and distribution atleast on par with DDG.

Kazi

Good shot stopping, actually commands his field (a rarity with foreign keepers without much PL experience) and distribution atleast on par with DDG.
At least let him leave first before we start with the name-calling

SwansonsTache

At least let him leave first before we start with the name-calling
It is tongue in cheek and not name calling. Hardly anything venomous in that name.

Besides there has been ample time for him to declare his will to stay.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

We've certainly had worse keepers. I'd be fine with him for next season, if we can't find the right GK in the summer, but he's not a long-term answer. Pereira stepping up would be the ideal scenario but I don't know what to expect of him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good job that penalty was so early on... He was probably still hyper alert from his pre-game snort

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm not going to participate in these mindbendingly pointless thought experiments. You look at a player's recent form to evaluate them, not what they did years ago or what their reputation is among other fans.
You say "years ago" like I'm reaching back to ancient times. He was our POTY just last season!

Plus it's less a thought experiment and more a direct example of how silly rating players on one season would be.

MuranoLover

A great time makes the GK not such an important position - Valdes was looking great at the Barca door , please , don't even forget that , ffs .

( That doesn't mean I don't like Romero , actually I'd love him to replace DDG if he leaves , no need to buy another one )

SwansonsTache

We've certainly had worse keepers. I'd be fine with him for next season, if we can't find the right GK in the summer, but he's not a long-term answer. Pereira stepping up would be the ideal scenario but I don't know what to expect of him.
He is far down on the list of WC keepers, but actually if you think about the GK's in the PL he'd still be about number 3 behind Cortouis and Lloris imo. Still a fair few levels above the comedy acts Citeh and the scouse starts with, and probably atleast on par with Cech now that he has become a bit shaky.

I've not seen enough of Pickford etc. to say how they compare to him.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Not true. Keepers gain and lose form on a regular basis, so its pointless to evaluate them by name or what they did several years ago. Look at the present and you'll see there isn't much between them.
Regular basis..christ..The top keepers in the world have consistently been at that level for quite some time, none of them gain and lose form on a regular basis, that's what makes them world class.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Have a feeling he will start remaining games in the league, DDG will start in the final.
Why on earth would you feel that? Jose has already said Romero tonight, Pereira
Sunday and Romero the final

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Regular basis..christ..The top keepers in the world have consistently been at that level for quite some time, none of them gain and lose form on a regular basis, that's what makes them world class.
Even so, what a player did years ago has nothing to do with their present form. You look at what they are doing within the past few months to assess their current quality.

Roboc7

He is far down on the list of WC keepers, but actually if you think about the GK's in the PL he'd still be about number 3 behind Cortouis and Lloris imo. Still a fair few levels above the comedy acts Citeh and the scouse starts with, and probably atleast on par with Cech now that he has become a bit shaky.

I've not seen enough of Pickford etc. to say how they compare to him.
He's played six premier league games and was a disaster in one of them and has spent his career as a backup so he is a long way off being number three in the league. He is playing well but he is an average keeper and that would be exposed over time, playing every so often is completely different to be a regular first choice.

SwansonsTache

He's played six premier league games and was a disaster in one of them and has spent his career as a backup so he is a long way off being number three in the league. He is playing well but he is an average keeper and that would be exposed over time, playing every so often is completely different to be a regular first choice.
You might be right. My view of him might be coloured from his performances in the EL which admittedly has been great.

Still think he is at the level where it wouldn't be a catastrophy to have him as #1 for a while though, especially behind a Mourinho defence.

prtk0811

Any one expected Sergio Romero to turn out this brilliant?

I certainly did not.

AndyJ1985

I get the feeling he's the only one in our team who is really up for it tonight.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Always rated him. Couldn't understand the apathy towards him as a potential #1. Would love to see him given the chance. That's all he needs...a run of games.

Just coming into his best form ready for the final. :drool:

podurban2

I'm warming up to the idea of selling DDG.. Not that I think Romero is as good, but because we are in dire need of strengthening other areas, where De Gea's transfer fee could be used.

FujiVice

Dont think we'll be buying a 1st team goalkeeper in the summer if De Gea leaves. Get a good defender in to partner Bailly and we'll have no worries.

Bojan11

Always rated him. Couldn't understand the apathy towards him as a potential #1. Would love to see him given the chance. That's all he needs...a run of games.

Just coming into his best form ready for the final. :drool:
Yeah but the problem is once De Gea has gone the pressure is increased.

Roy Carroll did fine as number 2 and so did Ben Foster. Once both got promoted they crumbled.

We definitely need to sign another goalkeeper.

SwansonsTache

I'm warming up to the idea of selling DDG.. Not that I think Romero is as good, but because we are in dire need of strengthening other areas, where De Gea's transfer fee could be used.
It will happen sooner or later anyways, might as well do it now when Real Madrid are in the market for a galactico keeper and we need huge reinforcements.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
At what point does he start getting some credit?

There's a ridiculous bias on here apparently because a few seasons ago he was not first choice at Sampdoria. Doubt anyone knows the circumstances, perhaps a disagreement with the manager or a few poor performances. Maybe Sampdoria was just a lousy team and he was the scapegoat.

Nonetheless he's been here 3 seasons and brilliant all around. It's not a detectable difference when he plays rather than DDG.

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
At what point does he start getting some credit?

There's a ridiculous bias on here apparently because a few seasons ago he was not first choice at Sampdoria. Doubt anyone knows the circumstances, perhaps a disagreement with the manager or a few poor performances.

Nonetheless he's been here 3 seasons and brilliant all around. It's not a detectable difference when he plays rather than DDG.
He won't by the majority. He'll be compared to Foster, Carroll, Kuszczak, Taibi, Howard etc despite performing better than them so far.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah but the problem is once De Gea has gone the pressure is increased.

Roy Carroll did fine as number 2 and so did Ben Foster. Once both got promoted they crumbled.

We definitely need to sign another goalkeeper.
With all due respect, Romero is a lot better than Carroll and Foster. I don't get the obsession with wanting to replace someone who is doing a great job for the team. You can't ask any more of a goalkeeper then to keep clean sheets and save penalties. If Romero is doing that on a regular basis, how are you going to improve that?

It was the same with Ibrahimovic, who despite being our top scorer and who would probably have gotten the golden boot if not for his injury still being questioned as to his contribution to the team? I don't get it. You only need to see what happened at City with their goalie. Nothing is a given. I think Romero would step up fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.