Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan_Stansman

With all due respect, Romero is a lot better than Carroll and Foster. I don't get the obsession with wanting to replace someone who is doing a great job for the team. You can't ask any more of a goalkeeper then to keep clean sheets and save penalties. If Romero is doing that on a regular basis, how are you going to improve that?
I agree. Why spend money on a GK when you have someone that could step into the shoes and still do a decent job? I said this in the DDG thread, but even if Romero is a 10 goal a season worse keeper, for the money we could get for DDG, we should be able to improve the outfield by more than 10 goals. Scoring goals is our issue, not so much conceding them. Get another good CB in and the GK is needed less.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Even so, what a player did years ago has nothing to do with their present form. You look at what they are doing within the past few months to assess their current quality.
:lol:

De Gea has consistently been one of the best goalkeepers in the world for the past 4 years and there's a reason for it. Romero hasn't been first choice in a club since his early days at Sampdoria, and there's a reason for that. It's fine and dandy that Romero is currently in very good form, still, the notion that there isn't much between him and De Gea is complete lunacy. There's a vast difference between the two in most aspects.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Imagine if, even though he was a bit shit last year, he has improved a lot.

Some people seem blind to that when its obvious to see.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

De Gea has consistently been one of the best goalkeepers in the world for the past 4 years and there's a reason for it. Romero hasn't been first choice in a club since his early days at Sampdoria, and there's a reason for that. It's fine and dandy that Romero is currently in very good form, still, the notion that there isn't much between him and De Gea is complete lunacy. There's a vast difference between the two in most aspects.
A vast difference only if one has been hibernating on an asteroid for the past 9 months. In reality, there isn't much between them in the present and tonight's performance just reinforced that.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
With all due respect, Romero is a lot better than Carroll and Foster. I don't get the obsession with wanting to replace someone who is doing a great job for the team. You can't ask any more of a goalkeeper then to keep clean sheets and save penalties. If Romero is doing that on a regular basis, how are you going to improve that?

It was the same with Ibrahimovic, who despite being our top scorer and who would probably have gotten the golden boot if not for his injury still being questioned as to his contribution to the team? I don't get it. You only need to see what happened at City with their goalie. Nothing is a given. I think Romero would step up fine.
I presume there's a wariness because if we do feck up and he turns out to just be in a period of good form as opposed to having genuinely improved as a keeper, it's not a position you can quickly fix; while a poor striker or defender can be compensated through a replacement, change in formation, or players in other positions stepping up, a poor goalkeeper can only really be replaced by one or two players in the team, and unless his side are almost never required to defend his weaknesses will be exposed.

With each passing game Romero's making a stronger case for why he should be our main keeper if DDG leaves, but I can understand why some would be very reluctant.

MThomas

A vast difference only if one has been hibernating on an asteroid for the past 9 months. In reality, there isn't much between them in the present and tonight's performance just reinforced that.
Is it a Donald Trump reality perhaps ?

It's a bit of a surprise that clubs aren't lining up to sign him as a first choice. What the feck does Real Madrid need De Gea at £65mill when they can have Romero for less than £20mill.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Well no - but that's only going on recent form. Plenty of keepers have excellent spells and then turn out to be poor: what makes De Gea so great is that he's consistently been one of the best goalkeepers in the world for a few years now. Romero's been excellent lately and I hope he keeps it up, especially if De Gea does leave, but there's no guarantee he'll maintain his current form.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Well, it was pretty fecking detectable when De Gea was kept out of the team during the transfer saga.
You make it sound like he had a clanger in every game. He had three clean sheets out of four in games against Spurs, Villa and Newcastle. The performance against Swansea was poor but its the only bad performance I can remember in his time here.

For those worried about his communication, he just spoke in English in post-match Sky interview.

Traub

On current form there isn't much to choose between them. However, DDG has proved himself for us in a variety of situations.
Based on the above, for the final, there probably won't be a notable difference between playing one or the other. Going forward though, DDG has proved a lot more, and I would prefer him as our future number one.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

It's a bit of a surprise that clubs aren't lining up to sign him as a first choice. What the feck does Real Madrid need De Gea at £65mill when they can have Romero for less than £20mill.
Some proper well thought-out logic as usual.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
On current form there isn't much to choose between them. However, DDG has proved himself for us in a variety of situations.
Based on the above, for the final, there probably won't be a notable difference between playing one or the other. Going forward though, DDG has proved a lot more, and I would prefer him as our future number one.
I prefer De Gea as well. The discussion wasn't about who we prefer, its that there really isn't much between them at the present. If De Gea were to get injured or leave, we would be in good hands with Romero as a replacement.

itso 7

I agree. Why spend money on a GK when you have someone that could step into the shoes and still do a decent job? I said this in the DDG thread, but even if Romero is a 10 goal a season worse keeper, for the money we could get for DDG, we should be able to improve the outfield by more than 10 goals. Scoring goals is our issue, not so much conceding them. Get another good CB in and the GK is needed less.
Ditto that there is no way we should deny Romero a chance to be our number one should De Gea leave after what he has shown this season. Added to the fact that we are generally difficult to break down he is good enough to be adequate for us. Like you say we have other, more pressing, needs in the squad to spend money on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well no - but that's only going on recent form. Plenty of keepers have excellent spells and then turn out to be poor: what makes De Gea so great is that he's consistently been one of the best goalkeepers in the world for a few years now. Romero's been excellent lately and I hope he keeps it up, especially if De Gea does leave, but there's no guarantee he'll maintain his current form.
True, nor is there any guarantee De Gea will continue to maintain his form at Madrid (or here if he stays). That's why it makes more sense to go with who is playing well in the present, not what a player did circa 2014.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

What's your angle pal?? You ain't making any sense??

Traub

I prefer De Gea as well. The discussion wasn't about who we prefer, its that there really isn't much between them at the present. If De Gea were to get injured or leave, we would be in good hands with Romero as a replacement.
I think the jury is still out on whether this is the case. He definitely has shown that he has the potential to be a replacement.

MThomas

You make it sound like he had a clanger in every game. He had three clean sheets out of four in games against Spurs, Villa and Newcastle. The performance against Swansea was poor but its the only bad performance I can remember in his time here.

For those worried about his communication, he just spoke in English in post-match Sky interview.
If only goalkeeper performances was only based on amount of clangers.

Apart from the penalty save, which wasn't a very good penalty at all, you'll do well to find a single save in tonights match that a good goalkeeper isn't expected to save, yet some are raving on about a 10/10 performance.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I hope he has a great game in the final.

I'm pretty sure he'll give everything he has. Seems very motivated. Jose has been loyal to him and rewarded him accordingly, so Sergio won't want to let him down.

Seems a nice guy as well.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
True, nor is there any guarantee De Gea will continue to maintain his form at Madrid (or here if he stays). That's why it makes more sense to go with who is playing well in the present, not what a player did circa 2014.
Well no, but if you were to pick between the two then I suspect most would favour the player who's been consistently excellent for a good few years now.

I'd be relatively content if De Gea goes and we stick with Romero because he's at the very least a good keeper, and I'd certainly be a lot less worried with him than most backup keepers. But as I've said above, the problem with goalkeepers is that their weaknesses can't be masked as easily as those of players in other positions...with a defender or midfielder it's easier to replace/move them, but with a keeper you'll likely have one okayish backup and a couple of reserve keepers, and if neither of them are up to the job then you've got to wait until at least a transfer window away. If there is a world class option available in the summer I'd perhaps still lean towards us opting for them. Possibly.

Manny

Grammar Police
Was superb.

Has been whenever he has to play for us.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well no, but if you were to pick between the two then I suspect most would favour the player who's been consistently excellent for a good few years now.

I'd be relatively content if De Gea goes and we stick with Romero because he's at the very least a good keeper, and I'd certainly be a lot less worried with him than most backup keepers. But as I've said above, the problem with goalkeepers is that their weaknesses can't be masked as easily as those of players in other positions...with a defender or midfielder it's easier to replace/move them, but with a keeper you'll likely have one okayish backup and a couple of reserve keepers, and if neither of them are up to the job then you've got to wait until at least a transfer window away. If there is a world class option available in the summer I'd perhaps still lean towards us opting for them. Possibly.
That wasn't the original point though. We aren't choosing between De Gea and Romero.

spwd

Brilliant tonight, not always that good but he's a decent goalie no doubt.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
That Romero is fine to have as a backup, but there's nothing whatsoever in his career so far as a goalkeeper to suggest that he should be considered as a first choice.
His performances this season has given every suggestion that he should be considered as first choice....just as Rojo's performances this season has him nailed on as a starter as centre back.

What more do you want??

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If only goalkeeper performances was only based on amount of clangers.

Apart from the penalty save, which wasn't a very good penalty at all, you'll do well to find a single save in tonights match that a good goalkeeper isn't expected to save, yet some are raving on about a 10/10 performance.
I'm thinking you're on a wind up?

lem8sh

That Romero is fine to have as a backup, but there's nothing whatsoever in his career so far as a goalkeeper to suggest that he should be considered as a first choice.
Correct. Over a long term run of games it would become clear that he isn't good enough to be first choice. He has been very good when called upon though that can't be denied. The best side we have faced with him in the team could arguably have been Soton tonight.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I'm not taking sides here but bar the penalty can you name one save tonight that you would not have expected him to make?
The point is he saved everything including the penalty, whether it be good or bad. Goalies have let in a lot easier. De Gea could have done better with some of the goals he has conceded this season. It's always easy to make cases for and against goalkeepers.

lem8sh

The point is he saved everything including the penalty, whether it be good or bad. Goalies have let in a lot easier. De Gea could have done better with some of the goals he has conceded this season. It's always easy to make cases for and against goalkeepers.
That's fine I agree, I'm just not sure why you thought he was on a wind up then.

Red4Life_#7

His performances this season has given every suggestion that he should be considered as first choice....just as Rojo's performances this season has him nailed on as a starter as centre back.

What more do you want??
Geeez you are easily sold. He has looked a backup player filling in when needed... no way near 1st team level. Don't get carried away by the crap teams we have struggled against in the Europa League this season.

MThomas

Nobody is complaining about him making saves. We´d be complaining if he weren't making them. The point is that the saves he is making doesn't prove the point that he´s anywhere near the required level to be a first choice goalkeeper for one of the big clubs. He´s a good backup, that´s it.

Now, if he suddenly starts pulling out saves that goalkeepers aren't expected to make, it´s something far different to blocking shots in perfect height and close to him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Looks like De Gea is off in the summer and Jose is picking Romero in the final to show his trust in him for next season. He replaced Casillas with Diego Lopez who was quite shaky but got better with time. He had a fantastic performance against us in the Champions league back in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.