Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Typical modern 'fan' reaction.

Thing 1 cannot be called good unless Thing 2 becomes sh1t.

They're both good goalkeepers. De Gea is world class. Romero is international class.

If De Gea left I'd happily see if Romero could step up for a season. I think he's as good as any other option we could buy.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Based on this seasons performances, I would say Romero has been better than De Gea. The latter has made a few mistakes whilst the former has been solid af in all his starts. Regardless, De Gea is, atm, on another level. But thats no slight on Romero. The Argentine has been brilliant since he signed. Hard to make a complete judgement based on 20-30 games for us, but Romero is probably in the top 5/6 PL keepers. Basically, apart from Chelsea and Tottenham, he would easily start for any other PL team.

TehRed

He's probably the best #2 keeper in the game right now. Whether we have De Gea next season or someone else, i'd give Romero a start in every cup game. His performances this season warrant every start he's made, and many more too. Roughly 40 games for the #1 keeper and around 15 games for the #2 keeper should be enough to keep both happy. It also means that Romero is ready to go and up to speed if he needs to cover for an injury in league matches etc.

itso 7

Typical modern 'fan' reaction.

Thing 1 cannot be called good unless Thing 2 becomes sh1t.

They're both good goalkeepers. De Gea is world class. Romero is international class.

If De Gea left I'd happily see if Romero could step up for a season. I think he's as good as any other option we could buy.
Basically this, I think his performances have earned him a shot at that number one spot should De Gea leave. He has done as well as can be expected and with the defence we have he won't be called upon often enough to expose any supposed flaws in his game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's so far *touch wood* not made any of the crazy mistakes he was renowned for when he was younger. In the back of my mind I still keep thinking a mistake is around the corner, but that's a bit unfair to him.

He's clearly improved as a goalkeeper and his catching is quite impressive. I still feel that in most the games he's played he's rarely been tested, but he did make a few good saves especially in the last EL game.

It's good for DDG to have competition, he can't get complacement when he know's Romero is ready to step in.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's a solid #2 and cup goalkeeper, and he seems happy to be deputy rather than having a bit of a moan about it like Kuszczak and Lindegaard previously did. However, we have played some absolute muck in the Europa League. He's made some good stops and good catches, but it's difficult to translate that in to how good he would be in the Premier League.

I like him a lot, and it's great that we have him, but I'm not on board with the crowd who would be happy for him to be #1 if De Gea does leave.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I like him. He's played enough games this season to be judged and he's barely put a foot wrong.

10 clean sheets is a great return given some of the nonsense that has taken place in front of him.

izec

Good backup keeper, would not be happy if he replaced Big Dave for next season as the number 1, simply because he wont be as good week in week out in the league. Different situation alltogether

togg

The proof of his ability for me is that when I see his name on the team sheet, I always think 'ok cool'. I don't worry. I really like him and he's been an excellent number two. Deserves the final to be honest..but probably won't get it unless there is something going on in the background regarding DDG.

finndt

If we lose Dave, he should be our nro 1. He has convinced me. His also very strong in the air which is kind of a Dave's achilles heel.

Hope ddg stays, but we already have replacement ready. Kroos + pile of cash and i'd be happy. Won't happen thou

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Because he has experienced even bigger matches? Even if Argentina lost those finals they still add to Romero's experience.
Look up the word experience.
He has experience. It's just that it's not a positive one - and it hardly makes him a better player, and that's what is implied. If I'll play a chess game with Kasparov, will it make me a better chess player?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
His catching has really, really improved. He looked extremely dominant and also like that he always looks to start a counter attack whenever he gets hold of the ball from an opposition set-piece.

zeekey

If we get to the final, De Gea to play against Palace so Romero can rest for the final. You wouldn't have convinced me of that 6 months ago!!

RedMaestro

His catching has really, really improved. He looked extremely dominant and also like that he always looks to start a counter attack whenever he gets hold of the ball from an opposition set-piece.
Really like this too. If he continues with these good performances, I'm a bit worried that he might not stay if de Gea leaves and he won't be chosen as the number 1. Other clubs are likely going to be interested in him. And I wouldn't blame him for wanting regular game time.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He has experience. It's just that it's not a positive one - and it hardly makes him a better player, and that's what is implied. If I'll play a chess game with Kasparov, will it make me a better chess player?
Of course it will. Experience is experience. And it's not only the opponent you're playing against but the occasion, the pressure, the expectations. He's had to deal with that. The fact that he lost doesn't just erase all that. You learn from losses just as much as you learn from wins.

RAVred

Based on this seasons performances, I would say Romero has been better than De Gea. The latter has made a few mistakes whilst the former has been solid af in all his starts. Regardless, De Gea is, atm, on another level. But thats no slight on Romero. The Argentine has been brilliant since he signed. Hard to make a complete judgement based on 20-30 games for us, but Romero is probably in the top 5/6 PL keepers. Basically, apart from Chelsea and Tottenham, he would easily start for any other PL team.
Surely people are joking right?

Stop being so fekin fickle. Agree Romero had one of his best games today, only behind the games where he made those ridiculous saves.

But people do realise DDG is one of the best keepers in the world? Hes the only player on our squad without contention whos world class, he's made some mistakes this season. True. But you realise Romero makes some awful silly mistakes, much worse then DDG right? He made some vs Anderlecht alone that nearly led to goals.

Theres absolutely no way Romero will be able to take the #1 Spot from DDG, unless he breaks a leg or something.

Rake

After listening to Mourinho yesterday, I'm actually open to the idea of Romero being our number with Pereira being number 2. Absolutely no idea why though

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Really like this too. If he continues with these good performances, I'm a bit worried that he might not stay if de Gea leaves and he won't be chosen as the number 1. Other clubs are likely going to be interested in him. And I wouldn't blame him for wanting regular game time.
Yup can't actually blame him, there are loads and loads of club which will happily take him as a starter.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yesterday was a very complete performance. One thing I like about him is that he has presence, is a talker and very comfortable with the ball at his feet.. he'd make the ideal 'Pep' keeper. He has it in him to be that Valdes style keeper.. not quite top tier, but a personality who can be a big character within the team and pull out big performances.

If we do sell De Gea, and maybe want to give him a season (whilst pumping the De gea cash into outfield signings), he wouldn't be the worst stop gap signing.

End of the day, next season is not going to be a season where we are challenging for the CL.. so we don't really need a top top goalkeeper, and he's a top 6/7 keeper at EPL level and would save us having to fork out £40m on a keeper this summer.

Cliche Guevara

I really like this in a goalkeeper and reckon it would pay dividends over the course of a season.

Di Maria's angel

Surely people are joking right?

Stop being so fekin fickle. Agree Romero had one of his best games today, only behind the games where he made those ridiculous saves.

But people do realise DDG is one of the best keepers in the world? Hes the only player on our squad without contention whos world class, he's made some mistakes this season. True. But you realise Romero makes some awful silly mistakes, much worse then DDG right? He made some vs Anderlecht alone that nearly led to goals.

Theres absolutely no way Romero will be able to take the #1 Spot from DDG, unless he breaks a leg or something.
Read what I said.

Ixion

Based on this seasons performances, I would say Romero has been better than De Gea
Yet De Gea got voted the best keeper in the league by his peers. Weird.

People realise Romero has played in the far easier games right? And far fewer than DDG? Let me know when he puts in a MOTM performance away at Stamford Bridge or Anfield not a shakey performance against the likes of Anderlect and Rostov.

Di Maria's angel

Yet De Gea got voted the best keeper in the league by his peers. Weird.

People realise Romero has played in the far easier games right? And far fewer than DDG? Let me know when he puts in a MOTM performance away at Stamford Bridge or Anfield not a shakey performance against the likes of Anderlect and Rostov.
In their respective games, I feel as if Romero has performed better. That doesn't mean he's better than De Gea. I've stated in my original post that De Gea is on a different level to Romero.

Roboc7

Romero is nowhere near that level, he has done well but he plays against weaker opponents and when he has made mistakes like against Blackburn and Anderlecht he has been fortunate and been let off. Being a backup and playing every so often is completely different to playing regularly and Romero has spent more seasons sitting in the bench than he has playing because he hasn't been good enough. I don't think he would last a season as a number one and if DDG does go it would be a huge risk not to sign a replacement.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see DDG start in the final should we get there, mourinho has left his options open and when trophy is at stake I thin he will pick his best players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Was he at fault for anything in those finals?
Nope, but it isn't representative of his level. He was a second choice keeper for Sampdoria and Monaco and has had lots of howlers in his international career.
Now, credit where it's due, he has been great for us, but he hasn't shown that he is capable of being a first choice keeper for a top side (or a side that aspires to be)

Status
Not open for further replies.