Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Ok, so implicitly you are accepting Javid’s line that she is no longer British. If her loyalty to (a twisted version of) her religion as expressed by signing up for adventures in a foreign country (and bearing in mind that, being of Bangladeshi origin, she has no more blood connection to Iraq and Syria than I do), trumps her loyalty to the UK, then she has forfeited her right to citizenship.
Nope, she's British. She was born here of British parents

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
One would think they’d do a little research into the new area they are moving to if it’s half way around the world and they’re leaving their family behind.
Not really. Many girls who are trafficked into the sex industry travel on nothing more than reassurances that they've got a normal job waiting at the other end

Baxter

Don’t blame them. I fail to see how it’s their problem either.

We need to fix the laws on this
She’s a British citizen. Does the UK government have any legal basis for making her stateless?

She should be taken back here, face criminal investigation and then see what, if anything, can be done. If she cannot be rehabilitated then I’d be happier if the taxpayer footed the bill for monitoring her than paying for prison sentences for petty criminals who needn’t be inside.

It’s a despicable organisation she joined, but there’s no precedent for withdrawing citizenship because of that and it’s a slippery slope to start now.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
And this, i don’t think I’ve seen her come out and say oh shit I thought it was all a conspiracy. She seems to have no regrets to moving out there and staying so long, she just wants from there now she’s pregnant again?
Two of her kids died and she wants a better chance for her new one

Stacks

Don’t blame them. I fail to see how it’s their problem either.

We need to fix the laws on this
Lawyers have told the BBC that under Bangladesh law, a UK national like Ms Begum who is born to a Bangladeshi parent is automatically a Bangladeshi citizen. That means that such a person would have dual nationality. The Bangladeshi authorities however assert Ms Begum is not a Bangledeshi citizen. Under this "blood line" law, Bangladeshi nationality and citizenship lapse when a person reaches the age of 21, unless they make active efforts to retain it. So, it is Ms Begum's age, 19, that is likely - in part - to have given Home Office lawyers and the home secretary reassurance there was a legal basis for stripping her of her UK citizenship. In 2017, the government lost an appeal case brought by two British citizens of Bangladeshi origin who were stripped of their citizenship when they were abroad. The Special Immigration Appeals Commission ruled that E3 and N3 had not tried to retain their citizenship before they reached the age of 21, and so it had automatically lapsed. That meant that the decision to strip them of their UK citizenship had rendered them stateless. Ms Begum's case is different. Her Bangladeshi citizenship, if established, would remain intact until she reaches 21, even if she has never visited the country or made active efforts to retain her citizenship

Stacks

Lawyers have told the BBC that under Bangladesh law, a UK national like Ms Begum who is born to a Bangladeshi parent is automatically a Bangladeshi citizen. That means that such a person would have dual nationality. The Bangladeshi authorities however assert Ms Begum is not a Bangledeshi citizen. Under this "blood line" law, Bangladeshi nationality and citizenship lapse when a person reaches the age of 21, unless they make active efforts to retain it. So, it is Ms Begum's age, 19, that is likely - in part - to have given Home Office lawyers and the home secretary reassurance there was a legal basis for stripping her of her UK citizenship. In 2017, the government lost an appeal case brought by two British citizens of Bangladeshi origin who were stripped of their citizenship when they were abroad. The Special Immigration Appeals Commission ruled that E3 and N3 had not tried to retain their citizenship before they reached the age of 21, and so it had automatically lapsed. That meant that the decision to strip them of their UK citizenship had rendered them stateless. Ms Begum's case is different. Her Bangladeshi citizenship, if established, would remain intact until she reaches 21, even if she has never visited the country or made active efforts to retain her citizenship

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Yes, nothing about being roped into a lie and promised an honest job half way around the world.
She was expecting a life fulfilling what she thought was her duty to God, to be wife of someone who was fighting for an Islamic state. It's a job

Vitro

Almost 6 months! That's such a looooong period of time to see one specific video amongst many on the Internet.
She joined a death cult which had on many occasions publicised their rape, torture and murder of innocent civilians. She saw her fellow members behead people. She supported a husband and friends who were engaged in this genocide. She had no issues with this, and isn’t remorseful. She would not be coming back if the caliphate wasn’t being dismantled and she would continue to believe that traitors and disbelievers should be murdered. She doesn’t talk about the crimes her organsiation has committed, only that she wants symapthy for herself and her situation. She is only thinking about herself. Yes, she was 15 and influenced by her environment. But who isn’t? We can have a discussion about free will if you want but she did an absolutely abhorrent thing. No one is innocent, but there are gradations of guilt and culpability and her’s are all the way to one side. People do bad things, 15 years old probably do more, but they should be punished. Firstly to protect society, and society does need protection from her and people like her (genocidal terrorists). Secondly for rehabilitation, how will she learn if she gets away scot-free? Thirdly as deterrence, because joining terrorist organisations is bad.

She should be brought back to the UK and sentenced, harshly. Her baby should be well looked after. There should be no sympathy for her, as she shows none for those who have been the victims of her beliefs.

Perhaps you should spend a little less time defending entitled girls from rich countries who decide to join genocidal fanatics and a little more time on the innocents who are being killed in their own countiees by said fanatics?

Stacks

I'm the least religious person you'll meet. I just don't pretend that we are any better than them
Well if we are not, would you mind if our government were run by Isis instead since there is no difference? It would be great as all the Shia's, Sunni's, Christians, LBGT, Yazidis Jews, could all live peacefully in Britain then couldn't they as they would obviously be as open minded?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Well if we are not, would you mind if our government were run by Isis instead since there is no difference? It would be great as all the Shia's, Sunni's, Christians, LBGT, Yazidis Jews, could all live peacefully in Britain then couldn't they as they would obviously be as open minded?
We live peacefully here whilst our government murders many of the people you listed over there.

MoskvaRed

Nope, she's British. She was born here of British parents
An accident of birth. As opposed to her conscious choice as a 15 year old to go to IS. And, going back to the WWII analogy that you started, if she had gone to fight for Germany as a British citizen, she would be facing a lot worse than losing her passport.

Anyway, that’s enough for tonight. I can see from your subsequent post that we are in the realms of “we are all as bad as each other” nihilism. In the context of IS, that’s quite something.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
She joined a death cult which had on many occasions publicised their rape, torture and murder of innocent civilians. She saw her fellow members behead people. She supported a husband and friends who were engaged in this genocide. She had no issues with this, and isn’t remorseful. She would not be coming back if the caliphate wasn’t being dismantled and she would continue to believe that traitors and disbelievers should be murdered. She doesn’t talk about the crimes her organsiation has committed, only that she wants symapthy for herself and her situation. She is only thinking about herself. Yes, she was 15 and influenced by her environment. But who isn’t? We can have a discussion about free will if you want but she did an absolutely abhorrent thing. No one is innocent, but there are gradations of guilt and culpability and her’s are all the way to one side. People do bad things, 15 years old probably do more, but they should be punished. Firstly to protect society, and society does need protection from her and people like her (genocidal terrorists). Secondly for rehabilitation, how will she learn if she gets away scot-free? Thirdly as deterrence, because joining terrorist organisations is bad.

She should be brought back to the UK and sentenced, harshly. Her baby should be well looked after. There should be no sympathy for her, as she shows none for those who have been the victims of her beliefs.

Perhaps you should spend a little less time defending entitled girls from rich countries who decide to join genocidal fanatics and a little more time on the innocents who are being killed in their own countiees by said fanatics?
Isis are no more a death cult than any other group trying to carve out a bit of the world to call their own.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
When she was groomed the ISIS propaganda would mostly revolve around how awful assad was
Unlikely. From the time ISIS took Raqqa in 2013, they were mostly fighting against the other anti-Assad rebel groups, and increasingly the Iraqi government. Their propaganda reflected this. I have all the issues of Dabiq from that time, the anti-Assad stuff was pretty insignificant.

Here's an ISIS manual from January 2015 aimed at female recruits, the table of contents gives a sense of what ISIS typically based their appeal on:

1.Translation: Women in the Islamic State –a manifesto
1.1Introduction
1.2Manifesto on Muslim Life
1.3Manifesto on Muslim women
1.4The failure of the western model for women
1.5How the soldiers of the devil keep women from Paradise
1.6Secondary functions of a woman
1.7The difference between studying and earning a living
1.8 Suggestions for a curriculum for Muslim women
1.9 Proposals for women compelled to serve the community outside the house
1.10 The ideal model for Muslim women

2.Translation: Women in the Islamic State –a case study
2.1 Nineveh
2.2 Hijab
2.3 Security
2.4 Justice
2.5 Daily life
2.6 Medicine
2.7 Education
2.8 Raqqa
2.9 State of muhaajirat

3.Translation: Comparison between the Hypocritical State and the Islamic State
3.1 Fear
3.2 Westernisation
3.3 Poverty
3.4 Injustice

4.Translation: Closing remarks
4.1 Conclusion

Almost 6 months! That's such a looooong period of time to see one specific video amongst many on the Internet.
Do you expect to be taken seriously with this nonsense?

I don't know if she saw this specific video. Just like you haven't got a fecking clue what persuaded her to make the trip, or if she was groomed, brainwashed, etc. What we both do know is that the genocide and slave-raiding campaign waged by the Orcs of Morder against the Middle East's most vulnerable religious minority was big news throughout that summer, since it ultimately produced this:

Of course, ISIS had already grabbed the attention of the West before that, when they took Mosul and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared the caliphate and war on the rest of the world, and called on all Muslims to pledge allegiance to him. Remember? It is what sparked the ISIS thread on the Cafe:

ISIS Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi first Friday sermon as so-called 'Caliph'
Between June 2014 and February 2015 when the girls left, beheadings were also in the news, Jihadi John was at the height of his fame, and the siege of Kobane was in full swing. It is not credible to suggest that anyone with an interest in ISIS was unaware of these things throughout that period.

Stacks

We live peacefully here whilst our government murders many of the people you listed over there.
Oh really? I'm not so sure. Isis murders all of them and it's their actual end game. Do you think the UK set out to exterminate certain groups? Isis are committing actual genocide.

Precaution

She’s not a citizen of Syria though. Essentially we are dumping our problem on Syria.
What's one more? It's not as if this is a Tom Hanks or rather the real story based on Mehran Karimi Nasseri stuation where she's stuck at a airport with nowhere to go, besides leave her at Heathrow for a month she'll want back to Syria anyway.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
An accident of birth. As opposed to her conscious choice as a 15 year old to go to IS. And, going back to the WWII analogy that you started, if she had gone to fight for Germany as a British citizen, she would be facing a lot worse than losing her passport.

Anyway, that’s enough for tonight. I can see from your subsequent post that we are in the realms of “we are all as bad as each other” nihilism. In the context of IS, that’s quite something.
We caught a whole bunch of people spying for Germany who were never charged with anything. A few men who fought for the Germans were tried and imprisoned

MAME DIOUF 32

Every word that comes out of her mouth convinces me that she's a terrible person, but sadly she is our terrible person and must be allowed to return.

Sajid Javid is playing games here anyway. He knows it's likely to be overturned in court, but he wants to play tough guy as a pitch for PM.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Mozza apogies if I missed it but what do you think is the best course of action regarding this?

Edit: also do you think she poses any risk? Or she simply misunderstood what she went out to and now wants to live peacefully with her child?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What's one more? It's not as if this is a Tom Hanks or rather the real story based on Mehran Karimi Nasseri stuation where she's stuck at a airport with nowhere to go, besides leave her at Heathrow for a month she'll want back to Syria anyway.
Not sure you know what stateless means. Doesn’t mean your stuck in international waters..

Anyway I guess one more doesn’t matter I suppose if everyone does their part in the refugee crisis.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Oh really? I'm not so sure. Isis murders all of them and it's their actual end game. Do you think the UK set out to exterminate certain groups? Isis are committing actual genocide.
We are bomb makers for Saudi whilst they murder Yemenis, sanctioned hundreds of thousands to death in Iraq and are pretty careless with our bombing in Syria

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
@Mozza apogies if I missed it but what do you think is the best course of action regarding this?

Edit: also do you think she poses any risk? Or she simply misunderstood what she went out to and now wants to live peacefully with her child?
She comes back, trial if there's anything to charge her with. Also she goes through a deradicalisation program. Her kid will probably end up in care or with a relative

Kopral Jono

Having compassion towards the predicament folks like Begum find themselves in is one thing, veering dangerously close to being an Isis apologist is another.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Every word that comes out of her mouth convinces me that she's a terrible person, but sadly she is our terrible person and must be allowed to return.

Sajid Javid is playing games here anyway. He knows it's likely to be overturned in court, but he wants to play tough guy as a pitch for PM.
Or maybe so that it will come as a dreadful shock to her that no country wants her because of her allegiance to IS and maybe she will learn to understand exactly why that is.

If she had just returned to her family, gone to prison for a couple of years then joined up with her husband again it wouldn’t have necessarily had a great deal of effect. Even now she is saying that she will just move to Holland and live there with her husband. If Holland also refuse to let her live there then the reality of what she has involved herself with may finally sink in. The seriousness of this situation is likely to have a more powerful effect than a prison sentence would imo anyway.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
She comes back, trial if there's anything to charge her with. Also she goes through a deradicalisation program. Her kid will probably end up in care or with a relative
I agree.

Where you say ‘if’ there’s anything to charge her with, I find that troubling. I don’t know enough about criminal charges to know if there will be anything. There’d be national outcry if she just came home and walked the streets I should imagine though, they’d have to find something. Then a possible short prison sentence and put into a protection scheme of sorts because I doubt she’d be safe when released and constant surveillance.

Seems a bit too comfortable after the choices she’s made that’s all but I can’t see any other ‘right’ thing to do

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
The law is that she can travel there without Visa, nothing to do with citizenship.

MAME DIOUF 32

Or maybe so that it will come as a dreadful shock to her that no country wants her because of her allegiance to IS and maybe she will learn to understand exactly why that is.

If she had just returned to her family, gone to prison for a couple of years then joined up with her husband again it wouldn’t have necessarily had a great deal of effect. Even now she is saying that she will just move to Holland and live there with her husband. If Holland also refuse to let her live there then the reality of what she has involved herself with may finally sink in.
Totally agree with your sentiment but it doesn't change the fact that she was born, bred and radicalised in Britain. She's our problem, like it or not. If she wants to go to Holland and is allowed to do so then that's her choice.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I agree.

Where you say ‘if’ there’s anything to charge her with, I find that troubling. I don’t know enough about criminal charges to know if there will be anything. There’d be national outcry if she just came home and walked the streets I should imagine though, they’d have to find something. Then a possible short prison sentence and put into a protection scheme of sorts because I doubt she’d be safe when released and constant surveillance.

Seems a bit too comfortable after the choices she’s made that’s all but I can’t see any other ‘right’ thing to do
I belive there's another Bangladeshi who came back and was charged with nothing. The only difference here is publicity. Britain has a new hate figure

Skills

Snitch

If she had just returned to her family, gone to prison for a couple of years then joined up with her husband again it wouldn’t have necessarily had a great deal of effect. Even now she is saying that she will just move to Holland and live there with her husband. If Holland also refuse to let her live there then the reality of what she has involved herself with may finally sink in. The seriousness of this situation is likely to have a more powerful effect than a prison sentence would imo anyway.
Her marriage actually has to be officially recognised for this to happen no? I doubt they followed any official procedure during their marriage in Syria. Most likely a religious ceremony, which I guess won't be recognised.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Her marriage actually has to be officially recognised for this to happen no? I doubt they followed any official procedure during their marriage in Syria. Most likely a religious ceremony, which I guess won't be recognised.
No idea. If they are European citizens though they can move freely throughout Europe and live where they want, in theory anyway.