Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

MadMike

If I was in ISIS infested Syria right now and gave an interview to a british paper I would also not say strong words against ISIS, especially after joining them first, which would make me a traitor against murderous lunatics. Who knows if they're gonna find me and kill me. So I think we should take the unrepentant angle with a pinch of salt.

Bringing her back, especially considering she's pregnant, would be the right thing to do. Take care of the baby, trial her and try to rehabilitate her. She would obviously end up in some sort of national security watch list for the rest of her life. If she behaved, then it would be kind of a success story. If not, she would eventually contact other bad people and the secret services could even catch a few more bad apples.

Letting her and the baby there would send the message to others that there's no point trying to leave ISIS and I don't think that's a good message.
Just a bit further up from you is this response to a similar claim ->

Doesn’t seem to be an issue for the vast majority of others currently trying to worm their way back ‘home’. Isn’t she being held by the SDF? Not much incentive to feign loyalty to the Caliphate in front of them.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
They're detained by Kurdish forces I believe. There is no recognised country or law I guess, which is what makes it difficult.
Yeah, i get that. I just know that bringing her back to UK will be used as great propaganda for both radical islamist groups and far right groups.

paulscholes18

Doesn’t deserve to come back, made her bed now she has to accept the consequences of her actions.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
And I am curious about the thought process that thinks this even remotely a sensible thing to say.
I just said that even terrorists should be given due process and have the law applied to them. And I won't finish with "or else they already won" because it's far too cliché...

In what way was that insensible?

Skills

Snitch
Can anyone explain how she would be able to come back if she has no passport?

Does Britain still have an embassy or diplomatic presence in Syria? Would Turkey or Iraq let her in where she would be able to visit a British Embassy? It seems like she's stranded there unless she gets major support, and the government is under no obligation to provide it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Can anyone explain how she would be able to come back if she has no passport?

Does Britain still have an embassy or diplomatic presence in Syria? Would Turkey or Iraq let her in where she would be able to visit a British Embassy? It seems like she's stranded there unless she gets major support, and the government is under no obligation to provide it.
Is the government obliged to issue her with a passport just because she’s technically a citizen? They took away the passports of people like Anjem Choudary and friends to prevent them going over there. If she can’t get a passport from a British embassy she’s fecked unless the public mood in the UK shifts drastically.

2cents

Scout
Would her return be an issue if she was white? Asking for a friend.
Really doubt anybody in Britain would welcome the return of Samantha Lewthwaite, or Sally Jones when she was alive.

Abizzz

Isn't she technically a British immigrant to Syria? What if Syria kick her out? Why should anyone else be obliged to take on a British terrorist just because she isn't wanted at home?

Can absolutely sympathies with anyone who doesn't want her back, but it's not as if she isn't a danger in another country...

El General 1994

If I was in ISIS infested Syria right now and gave an interview to a british paper I would also not say strong words against ISIS, especially after joining them first, which would make me a traitor against murderous lunatics. Who knows if they're gonna find me and kill me. So I think we should take the unrepentant angle with a pinch of salt.

Bringing her back, especially considering she's pregnant, would be the right thing to do. Take care of the baby, trial her and try to rehabilitate her. She would obviously end up in some sort of national security watch list for the rest of her life. If she behaved, then it would be kind of a success story. If not, she would eventually contact other bad people and the secret services could even catch a few more bad apples.

Letting her and the baby there would send the message to others that there's no point trying to leave ISIS and I don't think that's a good message.
Great post. You've changed my initial repsonse to the whole situation (which was rage).

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Just a bit further up from you is this response to a similar claim ->
Yeah but how volatile is the situation over there? We see towns being won and lost several times, who knows if ISIS won't have her in the near future. I'd be very careful about what I'd say if I was there. Especially knowing that my face would be all over western media. Maybe she's actually loyal to ISIS, I don't know, but either way that can be changed in prison/rehabilitation. If she maintained her loyalty after years in the UK then she would be considered a danger to national security and kept in prison.

I don't see her words as a good reason to abandon her.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No special effort should be made to rescue her, but her citizenship should not be arbitrarily yanked. Others have made the point that she has not crossed the deliberately high threshold of waging war against Britain.

If she comes back, or surrenders herself to an embassy abroad, try and sentence her accordingly.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Great post. You've changed my initial repsonse to the whole situation (which was rage).
There is an ongoing story in Portugal very similar. A woman went to Syria with her boyfriend, who died after a few months. She stayed there, pregnant, with a group of fighters. Now she's in a refugee cam and wants to return. First reaction is "feck her, she wanted to fight for them, now assume the consequences".

But then I start thinking about what a fecked up situation must be to be convinced to join a terrorist group when you're a teen, go to a warzone, get pregnant, be used as a sex slave (even though sometimes these women don't see it that way, it's what's happening) and now be desperate in a foreign country fearing for the life of your child. Even if this woman is pure evil, if there's a chance, even tiny, to make her pay for her crimes and try to rehabilitate her, then we should try.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
She can go feck herself. Shouldn't be allowed back in unless it was safer to bring her home and give her life in prison.

Kag

I think life sentences are appropriate measures for these people that manage to wangle themselves back into the country. Members of the public should not be at risk of being blown up because this woman has been allowed to piss about in a British jail for six years and wage war upon release. Because that's the risk.

In an ideal world she won't make it back at all.

2cents

Scout

Oo0AahCantona

My issue is the child, by joining an enemy combatant she has given up her rights as a citizen for me(whether or not legally that's how it works is a different matter), but the child is blameless. ultimately that child needs to be repatriated back the uk, coudnt give a feck what happens to her frankly, given she shows no remorse.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
There's no legal basis for denying her re-entry to the UK. She's a British citizen and you can't just strip British nationality from someone because they've done something wrong (assuming she got her citizenship by being born to British parents, rather than naturalisation.)

She's within her rights to come back if she can afford to travel. What happens when she gets off the plane is another matter. She will likely be held on arrival and comprehensively interviewed so they can figure out whether she can be held accountable for any crimes.
Agree with this.

Also think it's entirely possible her world views would change if she did come back. She was clearly misled at a vulnerable stage in her life. Understanding why she was compelled to travel to a war zone at the age of 15 is an intricate topic, but aiding in completing a 360 and reintegration into British society would only be a good thing (after appropriate punishment).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agree with this.

Also think it's entirely possible her world views would change if she did come back. She was clearly misled at a vulnerable stage in her life. Understanding why she was compelled to travel to a war zone at the age of 15 is an intricate topic, but aiding in completing a 360 and reintegration into British society would only be a good thing (after appropriate punishment).
Didn't she say she regretted nothing in an interview? That's what I find most worrying.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
My issue is the child, by joining an enemy combatant she has given up her rights as a citizen for me(whether or not legally that's how it works is a different matter), but the child is blameless. ultimately that child needs to be repatriated back the uk, coudnt give a feck what happens to her frankly, given she shows no remorse.
How can the child be repatriated to the United Kingdom (it won’t let me type the initial letters because the first letter is apparently text speak!) when it has not been born yet and most likely will be born abroad? Repatriate means to send someone back to their own country. As it stands at the moment it’s country of birth will most likely be Syria.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
How can the child be repatriated to the United Kingdom (it won’t let me type the initial letters because the first letter is apparently text speak!) when it has not been born yet and most likely will be born abroad? Repatriate means to send someone back to their own country. As it stands at the moment it’s country of birth will most likely be Syria.
The mother is British, therefore the child is British

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
The child will be born a British citizen, being son/daughter of a British citizen.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The mother is British, therefore the child is British
The child will be a British citizen but will also be a citizen of whatever country they are born in - presuming that's not going to be Britain then would the UK be expected to ensure the child comes here when they are in another country of which they are a citizen?

caid

My attitude would be shes not welcome back. If she showed up regardless? I guess you'd be stuck dealing with her. Has she technically commited any crime? I guess i'd have child protection and anti terrorism breathing down her neck 24/7 but i wouldn't go out of my way to punish her. Ignoring her would probably be a more appropriate response, why stoop to their level?

Andy_Cole

Seems quite complex doesn’t it. If she was white would there be any doubt of her being allowed back?

Obviously I’m thinking feck her. But technically speaking she is British. Could we not let her back and trial her for treason?

2cents

Scout
These stories are gonna be emerging for a while:

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Feck her. She can live with the consequences of her actions. She wants to come back so her child can be born on the NHS and paid for and looked after? All because ISIS has more or less lost its jihad war. Imagine if ISIS were winning though? Would she be coming back then? Nah, she’d be cutting our heads off with the rest of em. Feck her.

2cents

Scout
Thread/

GeorgieBoy

Made her bed; let her lie in it.
Shows no remorse; the interview with her regarding the decapitated heads is sociopathic.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The child will be a British citizen but will also be a citizen of whatever country they are born in - presuming that's not going to be Britain then would the UK be expected to ensure the child comes here when they are in another country of which they are a citizen?
Just because you are born in a country it doesn’t mean you automatically get citizenship, it depends on the law of the country of birth. For example in the UK, even if you are born there if your parents aren’t British you don’t get citizenship.