Shooting at Charlie Hebdo HQ in Paris

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Everyone says "it doesn't represent the 1 billion innocent Muslims out there"

All I'm trying to say is, whether it does or not is irrelevant, it doesn't need the entire Islamic community to all agree with what the extremist terrorists are doing for them to cause damage.

But it also makes the point that it doesn't require the entire population to believe in something for it to cause damage and cause harm.

The reason I think it's important is the seemingly sole response seems to be "Well this doesn't represent the entire Islamic community" And all I'm saying is I'm glad it doesn't, but it doesn't need to.
So what should we do?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Theoretically, they don't need anyone else to agree with them to cause harm, which is why they should be treated as terrorists/criminals, rather than vaguely official representatives of a billion plus person religion.
You say it's a religion of more than a billion like it's the same religion. If it is, then they do represent Islam as they are following words that are written in the Qu'ran and they were taught to follow those words.
If you don't agree with some parts, like most people do, then surely you can't be practicing the same religion.

Either way, it's quite a big portion of people who consider themselves Islam who are performing atrocities all over the world. In the Caf's backyard, the UK, about 3/4th of the Islamic population there agreed that the people who posted the Danish Muhammed cartoons should be punished. That's quite a lot. About one in three would rather live under Sharia law. That's UK muslims. Not muslims living in super brainwashed conditions like Saudi Arabia.
Source: http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2005/07/more-survey-research-from-a-british-islamist

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!

As Charb himself would undoubtedly have agreed, it's time for all religions to distance themselves from the arseholes who act up in the name of their faith.

Supports
Barcelona
Tweeted last August that I'm expecting first upcoming terrorist attack in Europe to be in France. Unsurprising really.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I am reluctant to get drawn into some broader debate in this thread, particularly with these three terrorists free in the community at present, however the foreign policy argument surely runs into some difficulty when one examins the disproportionately low number of Americans presently volunteering for ISiL.
Not really. Like Wolverine excellently pointed out, there are so many factors that mix together to create these extremists, with the cultures of their own communities, and the communities they move into being big ones. This (culture aspect) is less of an issue in the US, where people are more likely to see themselves as Americans than Islamic outsiders, like in parts of Europe. Not to mention the difference in the socio-economic make-up of the immigrants - first/ second generation muslims in America are a lot richer and more likely to be from stable families than European muslims. That's surely the most significant difference.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why ? If you don't mind me asking.
Because
a) Fighting such an open battle (in the press and militarily) against extremists/terrorists organizations will always make you a target.
b) Even if the percentage is ridiculous in comparison to the general french Muslim population, there are some vocal and truly extremist teenagers growing in number in our country. Having access to illegal firearms and military grade weapons has never been easier too.4

France was a target for years and there was always the nightmare of having those french born commit these acts on the soil. There was a risk and today sadly risk became a reality.

Sweet Square

Because
a) Fighting such an open battle (in the press and militarily) against extremists/terrorists organizations will always make you a target.
b) Even if the percentage is ridiculous in comparison to the general french Muslim population, there are some vocal and truly extremist teenagers growing in number in our country. Having access to illegal firearms and military grade weapons has never been easier too.4

France was a target for years and there was always the nightmare of having those french born commit these acts on the soil. There was a risk and today sadly risk became a reality.
Thanks.

Clas Sified

Bloody idiots the whole lot of them. I'm a religious man myself, but my religion would never make me forget my human morals and kill innocent people.

RIP to all of the dead. No one should ever have to go this way. Peace with them and all their families.

Essaux

Let me ask another question:

Have we seen satirical media mocking Judaism or Christianity? Yes, we have. To a very large extent even so. But who retaliates with murder death kill? Yes, Islam does.

What does that tell us in the modern age?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Because

In France?

fergieisold

As Charb himself would undoubtedly have agreed, it's time for all religions to distance themselves from the arseholes who act up in the name of their faith.
As harsh as it's sound religion needs to be strongly discouraged. As long as there is moderate religion, there will always be these irrational attacks based on the fiction that is religion. The sooner religion dies out the sooner the world can move on.

kouroux

In France?
Yes, I remember hearing that from a France security expert on "C dans l'air" on France 5.
Let me ask another question:

Have we seen satirical media mocking Judaism or Christianity? Yes, we have. To a very large extent even so. But who retaliates with murder death kill? Yes, Islam does.

What does that tell us in the modern age?
Islam doesn't. Islam is used as an excuse to kill people who are not only Jewish, Christians or atheists. Islam is used an excuse to people who are Muslims.
It is used a tool to justify hatred, murder and barbarism.

kouroux

As harsh as it's sound religion needs to be strongly discouraged. As long as there is moderate religion, there will always be these irrational attacks based on the fiction that is religion. The sooner religion dies out the sooner the world can move on.
That would be your ideal world but hasn't history showed that when humans put their mind to put it, they will commit crimes, murders, rapes, no matter the tool they use to justify themselves ?

Essaux

Yes, I remember hearing that from a France security expert on "C dans l'air" on France 5.

Islam doesn't. Islam is used as an excuse to kill people who are not only Jewish, Christians or atheists. Islam is used an excuse to people who are Muslims.
It is used a tool to justify hatred, murder and barbarism.
The Qu'ran, the hadiths and the clergy across the ummah are crystal clear about Islam's tenets. Killing infidels is easily justified by them since they can find it in their teachings.

Politicians and apologists across the West wonder why so many are resenting Islam, this is why, anywhere it goes it causes friction with the locals, Muslims in general do not want to assimilate and extremism and paranoia are rampant within their communities.

It adds nothing to our society. We only lose freedom of speech, lose freedom of thought and lose safety and security around us.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I do think influential leaders of Islam do have a responsibility to come out and condemn these acts and call for an end to terrorism in the name of religion.

Then again, as far as I'm aware, important Muslim leaders did condemn the IS. Such condemnation should receive greater publicity and peaceful Muslim communities everywhere should protest against the radicals. Not against being tarred with the same brush as them though I expect that cannot be easy; still, they have to protest against the radicals themselves, distancing themselves from them.
Majority of credible scholars condemn IS, wherever these people are learning this hatred and false Islam is defiantly not in the mainstream, so it's difficult to ask us to condemn/feel guilty about something that has nothing to do with us or anything we endorse. Please see the following link:

http://www.islam21c.com/politics/conclusive-scholarly-opinions-on-isis/

kouroux

The Qu'ran, the hadiths and the clergy across the ummah are crystal clear about Islam's tenets. Killing infidels is easily justified by them since they can find it in their teachings.

Politicians and apologists across the West wonder why so many are resenting Islam, this is why, anywhere it goes it causes friction with the locals, Muslims in general do not want to assimilate and extremism and paranoia are rampant within their communities.

It adds nothing to our society. We only lose freedom of speech, lose freedom of thought and lose safety and security around us.
Not really, there are so many more peaceful situations where communities of different religions live in peace but they hardly make any news and understandably so.

Essaux

Wrong on so many levels, there are so many more peaceful situations where communities of different religions live in peace but they hardly make any news and understandably so.
I see the evidence around me mate. I live in a predominantly muslim neighbourhood and I can read and speak some Arabic. They might not be murdering innocents every day, but they are definitely not assimilated. They do not share the same values as their hosts / locals and they do not care. Islamic extremism is flourishing and the evidence is what we see happening around the world with hostages in Sydney, shootings in Paris, beheadings by the dozens in the Levant and other atrocities commited in so many other places.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Do you have a link to it? I have a friend who works in this domain and he doesn't quite agree, I wouldn't mind proving him wrong. :D

Also, why did you refer to the 'teens' in your previous post? Everything in this case indicates it wasn't a bunch of teens but a very organized attack.

fergieisold

That would be your ideal world but hasn't history showed that when humans put their mind to put it, they will commit crimes, murders, rapes, no matter the tool they use to justify themselves ?
The difference is that crime in general is not an irrational behaviour. These religious people are not crazy or mad in any way, they truly believe in what they are doing and that they are carrying out their interpretation of an irrational religion.

mu4c_20le

Another disgusting act. It has gotten to a point where the more they terrorize people who ridicule Islam, the more I wish the entire world would rise up and ridicule their most sacred prophets just to piss them off. Like I mean literally turning Mohammed or whoever they revere into the next Charlie Chaplin. If I were an honest, devout Muslim, I'd be more offended by these savages and their brutality than by ridicule.

Sweet Square

Salman Rushdie
I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. “Respect for religion” has become a code phrase meaning “fear of religion.” Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect.
French Muslim Council (CFCM)
This extremely grave barbaric action is also an attack against democracy and the freedom of the press
Muslim Council of Britain
Whomever the attackers are, and whatever the cause may be, nothing justifies the taking of life"
Nabil al-Arabi(Arab League chief)
Al-Arabi strongly condemns the terrorist attack on Charlie Hebdo newspaper in Paris

kouroux

The difference is that crime in general is not an irrational behaviour. These religious people are not crazy or mad in any way, they truly believe in what they are doing and that they are carrying out their interpretation of an irrational religion.
You're right, I still think that even without religions, there would still be murders and killings. Maybe not in the same proportion and horror though.

Do you have a link to it? I have a friend who works in this domain and he doesn't quite agree, I wouldn't mind proving him wrong. :D

Also, why did you refer to the 'teens' in your previous post? Everything in this case indicates it wasn't a bunch of teens but a very organized attack.
Sorry mate, no link as it was on the TV live a while ago. I mentioned teens because I am getting older (29 soon), anyone younger than me is a teen :lol:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

Im reading that they even had a list of people they wanted to kill, the rest were free to go. That makes it a bit more scarier, knowing it was so calculated.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
For good or bad London quite widely covered by CCTV these days, what is the position in Paris in this regard?

kouroux

Im reading that they even had a list of people they wanted to kill, the rest were free to go. That makes it a bit more scarier, knowing it was so calculated.
Apparently for each person they killed, they called his name out loud. They knew that on Wednesday there was a big reunion at the HQ and that most big names would be there.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Apparently for each person they killed, they called his name out loud. They knew that on Wednesday there was a big reunion at the HQ and that most big names would be there.
I take it that it was public information they would be there?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
are they still on the loose?

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I love how Ricky Gervais trolls Christians whenever something comes up about Gay marraige but yet him nor any other mainstream comedian don't have the balls to criticize Islam when people massacre people in the name of Muhammed.