Should DDG start in the EL final?

Who should be in goal for the Europa League Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Infra-red

Maybe we should also drop our best midfielder, then we can be without our best goalie, best defender and best midfielder and everyone is super happy on the sentimental train :rolleyes:
We should play Rooney in midfield for this one. He's given the club 13 years of service, it will likely be his last ever game in a United shirt, he's earned it, it's only fair to give him the game. Pogba can watch this one from the bench with De Gea.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Start Romero. He's just as calm and composed. We owe De Gea nothing, especially seeing though hes more than likely leaving in the summer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We should play Rooney in midfield for this one. He's given the club 13 years of service, it will likely be his last ever game in a United shirt, he's earned it, it's only fair to give him the game. Pogba can watch this one from the bench with De Gea.
Agreed. Or maybe as a nine and a half :lol:

Reynoldo

100% yes. If they start to pile on pressure and hitting shots then I'd rather have De Gea, don't get me wrong Romero has been brilliant and deserves it but these are the breaks. Romero while very good has a tendency to punch and tap the ball over for shots that can be saved in hand by De Gea and we don't need to be inviting unnecessary pressure.

manutddjw

This shouldn't even be up for debate. De Gea is the better player and this is our biggest game of the season. Feck this he deserves it. Romero is a back up keeper and has no right to expect anything else. If you want to talk about deserving, Fellaini got us to the final, but would anyone be crying if he were dropped for Martial or Mata?

It's simple play your best team. Having said that Romero should hold his head high and we are lucky to have a back up of his caliber.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Based on this season there isn't a gulf between them and when deciding who to play in certain games, Mourinho would have taken that into account. If Mourinho thought there was a gulf in class between them this season, Romero wouldn't have started either of the semi final games.
Why base it solely off this season though? I mean based off this season Mourinho himself isn't up to standard. We do have the luxury of taking more into account when it comes to likely future performance.

Also, comparing Romero and DDG's seasons is problematic given De Gea has played more games against tougher opposition. Would Romero's season have held up as strong with De Gea's fixture list? I doubt it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Based on the three matches that we played with 6 on defense and won, it is clear to see that playing 6 at defense has a strong correlation with winning. So, I guess that we will play 6 at the back in the final, and sign a few other defenders in order to be able to play 6 at defense next season each game (we need to consider that half of our defenders are always injured).

Because stats.
I'm not basing it on three games. I'm saying based on all games both of them have played this season there isn't a "gulf in class" in form between them. Guess you disagree and think that De Gea has played much better in the games he's played?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Mourinho also said that Romero is our EL Gk.
He actually said the opposite, that we don't have a specific keeper for a specific tournament (despite the fact that we clearly do, but that's another matter)

shaky

Dave hasn't been as good this season as previous seasons. There's not enough in it to justify dropping Romero for me. He's been at fault for no goals this season that I can remember.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

I want De Gea in goal simply because I want him to have the responsibility of determining his own fate. Get in the Champions League and I don't think he'll leave with the new signings and a serious contention for the European crown next season; lose and if he leaves, he'll be remembered as that guy who bottled it for us. Romero isn't going to stick with us next season anyway, might as well have our no.1 in the final match.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why base it solely off this season though? I mean based off this season Mourinho himself isn't up to standard. We do have the luxury of taking more into account when it comes to likely future performance.

Also, comparing Romero and DDG's seasons is problematic given De Gea has played more games against tougher opposition. Would Romero's season have held up as strong with De Gea's fixture list? I doubt it.
Why not? Same is done with outfield players. Martial was one of our best players last season. This one he hasn't been good and Lingard has replaced him as a starter.

De Gea hasn't been so good this season to justify dropping Romero in the Europa League.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I voted Romero as much out of expectation as anything. He has got us to the final so deserves his chance, but equally I do get the forgetting sentiment piece.

But De Gea would need to sign a new 6 year deal before final to play!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Romero has been solid but DDG has wonder saves in him. Romero will get the credit he deserves regardless. I want our best players

Cliche Guevara

I'm not basing it on three games. I'm saying based on all games both of them have played this season there isn't a "gulf in class" in form between them. Guess you disagree and think that De Gea has played much better in the games he's played?
Yeah, for me is Romero sufficiently poorer than De Gea that we're likely to lose the final on the strength of this decision?

There are so many other variables that I think we could play Romero on merit.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
In many ways why is this a debate? Why not De Gea tonight? Mourinho is clearly happy to let Romero boss the EL

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep, I think that De Gea is a much better keeper than Romero, has played better this season, and is the best keeper in EPL. He also got the third consecutive best keeper in the league award this season, becoming the first keeper in the history to do so, and becoming the only keeper in the history of EPL to win 4 best keeper in the league awards.

Romero on the other hand has been decent. No mistakes, one or two spectacular saves, and mostly had nothing to do in the matches.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why not? Same is done with outfield players. Martial was one of our best players last season. This one he hasn't been good and Lingard has replaced him as a starter.

De Gea hasn't been so good this season to justify dropping Romero in the Europa League.
That would be an excellent argument if Romero had simply replaced De Gea as a starter for us. He hasn't though, De Gea has been our #1 throughout our PL campaign. It's only in this one competition that we've decided Romero is somehow outperforming De Gea. That arbitrary divide in how we view the standard of their performances doesn't exist in Martial v Lingard, does it?

predator

Youth NITK
No, Romero's been fine in the competition so why not now.
Also I reckon it's a given Dave is off to Madrid in the summer so I think giving Romero the chance play in the final will pay off when he is deployed as our first team keeper for the next few years!

Revan

Assumptionman
Norwegian journalist on Twitter. Quotes will probably be mainsteam soon. Jose says that Romero will play the final and that DDG "understands and respects it"
Great.

Finally Mourinho manages to top his decision to replace Casillas with Adan.

If we lose, questions should be asked (or skip the questions, just give him the same treatment as to Van Gaal and Moyes). This should be the case anyway, but just deciding to not play the second best keeper in the world in the final for shit and giggles should make Glazers and Ed very angry if we don't win the final.

el3mel

Great.

If we lose, questions should be asked (or skip the questions, just give him the same treatment as to Van Gaal and Moyes). This should be the case anyway, but just deciding to not play the second best keeper in the world in the final for shit and giggles should make Glazers and Ed very angry if we don't win the final.
You're talking as if we never lose with David playing.

SirAF

Ageist

Don't want to restart that discussion, but Casillas was done mate.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah, He's been fine in the competition so why not now.
Also I reckon it's a given Dave is off to Madrid in the summer so I think giving Romero the chance play in the final will pay off when he is deployed as our first team keeper for the next few years!
That's really bad. It is Taibi/Barthez/Carroll/Howard all over again.

Really, none of them bar Taibi were bad keepers. Just that they weren't that good. Like Romero.

If I was De Gea and still hadn't make my decision, I would have made it today. Playing for this pile of shit for the last four years, and somehow managing to get benched for an European final despite that he's been our best player since Fergie left and has been the best keeper in the league (in this season too, not once upon a time) should be very confusing to him. And it should be unacceptable if he has professional pride.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, Romero's been fine in the competition so why not now.
Worryingly, I'm starting to think that this will be a popular notion.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
No problem!

When did Jomo tell him that, and why haven't anyone else said anything?

You should probably translate it in the same post, for the weird people who don't understand Norwegian :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't want to restart that discussion, but Casillas was done mate.
Totally done.

Oh wait, he captained his team to win UCL the following season. While also making some incredible saves especially against BVB.

And yep, he was past his best, but still far better than Adan. Similar how De Gea is far better than Romero, despite not being as good as last season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Start Romero. He's just as calm and composed. We owe De Gea nothing, especially seeing though hes more than likely leaving in the summer.
He punched the ball twich away that he should have caught and he's got a bit of a problem communicating. Not playing the best keeper in the world is just silly talk.

Revan

Assumptionman
You're talking as if we never lose with David playing.
Of course we lose with him. That doesn't make him a lesser keeper than Romero though.

To all the weirdos in the thread: If you want Romero to start over De Gea, do you also want him as our No.1 next season and De Gea at Real Madrid? Also, do you want us in UCL next season.

Weirdos!

SirAF

Ageist
When did Mourinho tell him that, and why haven't anyone else said anything?

You should probably translate it in the same post, for the weird people who don't understand Norwegian :drool:
Meh, all they need to understand is "Romero", "finale" and "de gea" :p

minoo-utd

IDK but since Im almost sure that DDG going to Real then I started not want to see him as our GK plus Romero is good and he played every game in this competition he deserves to play the final IMO.

el3mel

Of course we lose with him. That doesn't make him a lesser keeper than Romero though.

To all the weirdos in the thread: If you want Romero to start over De Gea, do you also want him as our No.1 next season and De Gea at Real Madrid? Also, do you want us in UCL next season.

Weirdos!
No one said Romero is better than David overall, if one said this then it's based on this season, which David was nothing significant this year, but sure David overall is better than Romero.

But talking as if not starting David is a disaster and sure loss coming is illogical and irrelevant.

minoo-utd

Weirdos!
UCL next season? What is this has to do with anything?
DDG has been a bit poor this season too.
Romero was so good and played in every game in this competition so why not the final?

shaky

He punched the ball twich away that he should have caught and he's got a bit of a problem communicating. Not playing the best keeper in the world is just silly talk.
He didn't cost us any goals, again. DDG has to take some blame for the Swansea freekick that cost us dearly. Maybe Romero isn't as good at spectacular saves but perhaps he's better at organising the defence. Maybe not, but I don't think there's much between the two this season.