Should DDG start in the EL final?

Who should be in goal for the Europa League Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
No one said Romero is better than David overall, if one said this then it's based on this season, which David was nothing significant this year, but sure David overall is better than Romero.

But talking as if not starting David is a disaster and sure loss coming is illogical and irrelevant.
Then if Romero isn't better than De Gea, why we should start a lesser player in the most important match of the season, that will define our season, and that can cost us 60m+ pounds for next year if we don't win?

It makes no sense. It is like a large population being in drugs. Name me a single top player, who is the best player of his team for 3-4 years, who is playing in a team well below his level, and still get benched for the most important match of the season? It just doesn't happen if the manager isn't stupid.

And yep, wanted Mourinho desperately this season, but he is showing his best to prove that Chelsea last season wasn't a coincidence.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No one said Romero is better than David overall, if one said this then it's based on this season, which David was nothing significant this year, but sure David overall is better than Romero.

But talking as if not starting David is a disaster and sure loss coming is illogical and irrelevant.
Playing Romero doesn't mean we'll lose but it does mean we're more likely to given he is the inferior player. Having sat through tonight's game I really don't see how we're in any position to willfully reduce our chances of winning the biggest game of our season any further.

Revan

Assumptionman
UCL next season? What is this has to do with anything?
DDG has been a bit poor this season too.
Romero was so good and played in every game in this competition so why not the final?
1) Because winning this match sends us to UCL next season, so we should play the better keeper.

2) That is a total myth that has been pushed in the last month for no reason. Like the myth that we were grand under Anderson and Cleverley for half a season. It doesn't corresponds to the reality that De Gea was the best keeper in the league.

3) Romero has been decent in this campaign, far from grand. And De Gea has already played 3 games, so it is hardly that it was decided from the beginning that Romero will play in this competition. And to be fair, who gives a shit. This was supposed to be second/third priority until a month ago. Now is win or lose a season, so the situation has totally changed.

Giggsy92

De Gea for me. Unless he's already decided he's off in the summer.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Play your best keeper: that's Romero right now. If you want two top keepers at a club, you are going to have to make some difficult decisions to keep them both content to stay.

Parry Gallister

Unless he was promised it and it'll cause irreparable ruptures between the squad/staff and squad, we have to field our best team, too big a match not to with the CL qualification - it's not just a cup final.

theralyst

Has De Gea really been poor this season? He's just been called upon less.

el3mel

Then if Romero isn't better than De Gea, why we should start a lesser player in the most important match of the season, that will define our season, and that can cost us 60m+ pounds for next year if we don't win?

It makes no sense. It is like a large population being in drugs. Name me a single top player, who is the best player of his team for 3-4 years, who is playing in a team well below his level, and still get benched for the most important match of the season? It just doesn't happen if the manager isn't stupid.

And yep, wanted Mourinho desperately this season, but he is showing his best to prove that Chelsea last season wasn't a coincidence.
Because Romero has been saving us in almost all EL games this season and not just being playing against midtable teams and doing nothing as you claim. Has been solid through the whole competition and deserved his place in the starting position. David has underwhelming season overall and not as the last 2 seasons so it's a fair point. Wanting David playing in the final is also a fair point and understandable for me but linking David not playing to us losing is illogical. We should have been out of the competition for long time then if that's true.

Don't know what's Jose relation to this. That bold part is irrelevant to our discussion. Some people really want to see Jose having a meltdown and problems with any player to say : " look ! we told you that idiot is destroying the dressing room ! "

el3mel

Playing Romero doesn't mean we'll lose but it does mean we're more likely to given he is the inferior player. Having sat through tonight's game I really don't see how we're in any position to willfully reduce our chances of winning the biggest game of our season any further.
Then we shouldn't have been eliminated from the competition early then. Rostov and Celta games prove he's reliable.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Play your best keeper: that's Romero right now. If you want two top keepers at a club, you are going to have to make some difficult decisions to keep them both content to stay.
If Romero is currently our best goalkeeper then why the hell have we been playing De Gea in all those crucial PL games?

You're right, it is as simple as picking our best goalkeeper and we've been failing to do that in one of the PL or EL, which is pretty stupid.

Revan

Assumptionman
This is worse than De Gea vs Lindegard stupid debate a long time ago. Just that this time 60 percent of the Caf's population has transformed into kietotheworld.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Then we shouldn't have been eliminated from the competition early then. Rostov and Celta games prove he's reliable.
The question isn't whether he's reliable, it's whether he's better than De Gea. If he is then we're more likely to win when he plays, if he isn't then we're less likely to win. It's that simple.

Do you think the games against Rostov and Celta prove he's better than De Gea?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If Romero is currently our best goalkeeper then why the hell have we been playing De Gea in all those crucial PL games?

You're right, it is as simple as picking our best goalkeeper and we've been failing to do that in one of the PL or EL, which is pretty stupid.
Yes, if you want two top keepers at a club, you are likely going to have to play them both at some point to keep them happy. It's not pretty stupid to do that, it's long term squad management. Can't just have a first XI and feck off the aspirations of the rest of the squad.

We're spoilt right now: if DDG does his cruciate tomorrow and we have a keeper who's played better over the season to come in.

el3mel

The question isn't whether he's reliable, it's whether he's better than De Gea. If he is then we're more likely to win when he plays, if he isn't then we're less likely to win. It's that simple.

Do you think the games against Rostov and Celta prove he's better than De Gea?
David is overall a better keeper, no debate but for this season I think Romero has had a better season, to be fair and honest.

I'll be happy with any one of both starting the final.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of all the caf opinions I've disagreed with, this really is the one that has me the most bemused.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I would sooner DDG start, but he hasn't got us to the final so I feel Romero will start. In fact I know he'll start because he deserves too. I still would prefer DDG though. :lol:

RedFish

If the game was played on paper, maybe DDG would be the right choice. It's not though and Romero is 100% the man for us in the final. I'd have no regrets even if he were to make a mistake that cost us. I back him 100%.

Inter Yer Nan

It's the last and by far most important game of the season. It is the game that could potentially be the difference of signing Griezmann or not and playing on Tuesday's and Wednesday's rather than Thursday's again. He's our best and most consistent player post 2012 and he's also a comfortably better GK than Romero (who's not put a foot right mind), so for me it's an absolute no brainer. Dave all the way.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Then if Romero isn't better than De Gea, why we should start a lesser player in the most important match of the season
You are asking this question to a poster on redcafe, but our manager did that very thing tonight. Tonight was our most important game of the season, yet he started Romero because Romero has been our keeper in this competition. Why do you feel this will change?

RedFish

It's the last and by far most important game of the season. It is the game that could potentially be the difference of signing Griezmann or not and playing on Tuesday's and Wednesday's rather than Thursday's again. He's our best and most consistent player post 2012 and he's also a comfortably better GK than Romero (who's not put a foot right mind), so for me it's an absolute no brainer. Dave all the way.
At least we agree on Kovalev mate. Fair play. I do think Jose will stick with Romero though it's just a hunch.

stepic

why would Jose play de gea in the final when he didn't play him tonight? Tonight was just as important, and he's already given up on the league.

pseudo_canadian

Absolutely not.

Romero should start. If we're being honest he's been on better form than De Gea in the past couple of months anyway. Stick with the hot hands, plus, Romero has played pretty much all of the EL games up until this point. Dropping him in the final would be incredibly disrespectful and would send the wrong message to the rest of the squad.

ghagua

Romero should start. De Gea will be pissed if he ends up staying, but Romero deserves the start.

bri2013

If DDG is defintely on his way this summer then I would start with Romero. Otherwise, it has to be the best 11 we can field for the final so DDG starts. Romero will still get a winners / losers medal because he will be on the bench.

RedMaestro

Romero should start. Mostly to show de Gea that the club has options and isn't overly focused on him. It's still not clear if de Gea's going to stay or leave for Real Madrid. Besides, de Gea has had an 'ordinary' season if you compare it to his general level and Romeo hasn't done anything wrong to not get the chance to start in the final. So unless there's injury or illness involved, Romero deserves to start.

Sentient Meat

This isn't FIFA or Football Manager... these are living, breathing human beings. Had De Gea been 100% loyal to the club I might think about it for a few minutes... but even then, I'd still probably give it to Romero. They should have a feature on those video games where if someone keeps treating a player like shit... he automatically erases himself and never comes back unless you pay a fee to reupload him. It would teach kids a little something about loyalty.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The question is, What has Romero done throughout the entire Europa league campaign so far to deserve being dropped for the final?

The question is rhetorical, the answer is nothing.

RedFish

This isn't FIFA or Football Manager... these are living, breathing human beings. Had De Gea been 100% loyal to the club I might think about it for a few minutes... but even then, I'd still probably give it to Romero. They should have a feature on those video games where if someone keeps treating a player like shit... he automatically erases himself and never comes back unless you pay a fee to reupload him. It would teach kids a little something about loyalty.
Hence my post about the game not being played on paper. Agree wholeheartedly.

el3mel

Great post. That summarizes up our opinion about the matter.

prath92

Has De Gea really been poor this season? He's just been called upon less.
Yup. Poor in comparison to his previous seasons.

Off the top of my head his mistakes led to goals

Vs stoke at home
Vs west ham in the league cup
Vs everton at home
Vs chelsea away

Last season did he have any bad game? Cant recall

TehRed

Romero has done nothing wrong in any of his games in the Europa League games, he's made some terrific saves, and there's no reason at all for him not to start. He's done very well and deserves to keep his place.