Should DDG start in the EL final?

Who should be in goal for the Europa League Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also find it disrespectful towards Romero after a very good season in the tournament.
Why give the final to a player that might be leaving us this summer?
I think the manager had a talk with both keepers before the start of the season, where they agreed to let Romero play EL, and DDG the rest. If so, both keepers are prepared for it.
Because the team has a better chance of winning with him in the side and that's more important than De Gea, Romero, what happened in the past or what happens in the summer.

A starting place isn't something to reward/punish players with.

Also, Mourinho has repeatedly said he doesn't have certain goalkeepers for certain competitions.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
De Gea was our keeper when we lost to Fenerbache and Feyenoord. He cant handle the Europa league

Romero deserves it, hasn't put a foot wrong

Revan

Assumptionman
Also find it disrespectful towards Romero after a very good season in the tournament.
Why give the final to a player that might be leaving us this summer?
I think the manager had a talk with both keepers before the start of the season, where they agreed to let Romero play EL, and DDG the rest. If so, both keepers are prepared for it.
In that case, why did De Gea played in the group stage when we had less matches? In fact, it was De Gea in away matches (that are supposed to be more difficult) and Romero in the group stages.

Only after the group stage, Mourinho went full Van Gaal in weirdness *. He also started playing (at times) with 6 at the back.

* Depending on POV, that might mean 'shit'.

Web of Bissaka

Expect that he is nowhere as good as De Gea with crosses. In fact, most of the balls he punches, De Gea catches.

And he isn't that great at organizing the defense. I mean, from those 4 players that you put in defense, Romero can speak with only one of them.
Hmm.. many times I see De Gea play, he often stays on his line, and often let the defenders handle the crosses, and would rely on his reflexes usually to save at the last minute. Insane skill, but he rarely catches or punch the ball, not as frequent as I would like.

:angel:Romero can only speak with one of them...?!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Question should be, "should we play one of the best in the world in his position in the most important game of our season?"

Anyone who wants Romero in goal needs to give their head a wobble.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm cool with either. Think Romero deserves it tho...

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It's not a sentimentality thing. I didn't vote for Romero because it'd be unfair otherwise. He's just put in nearly flawless performances whenever given the chance this season.
This is precisely sentimentality.

lsd

The Oracle
This is what happened to Porto in the Cup final last year when we gifted Helton with playing the final after he did wonderfully throughout the competition:

You don't need to watch the whole video, if you get to the 2:00 minute mark you get the gist of it.

Means nothing the same thing could happen De Gea ...

At the end of the day I trust Jose and will be happy with his choice ..I would hope any Utd fan would feel the same instead

Michael John Doyle

A shot at a European trophy and a Champions League group stage place and you want to leave DDG, one of our only world class players on the bench with no Bailly??

Best XI out no exceptions. Jose will look like a dick to Romero, but the board and fans will understand.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Romero has also been linked with a move away. Almost any player in the squad "might" be leaving in the summer...
Yeah, true, but easier to accept that the second keeper considers his options at that age, compared to a player that has been first gk since he arrived.
We would all understand Romero if he chose to move on to play more.
DDG will probably go to his childhood team's rival, which is also a team i don't like.
He should respect my feelings! :)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
In that case, why did De Gea played in the group stage when we had less matches? In fact, it was De Gea in away matches (that are supposed to be more difficult) and Romero in the group stages.

Only after the group stage, Mourinho went full Van Gaal in weirdness *. He also started playing (at times) with 6 at the back.

* Depending on POV, that might mean 'shit'.
Maybe he changed his mind on which keeper to play in the EL after seeing De Gea concede four goals in three games. Once Romero came in we kept clean sheets in four consecutive EL matches.

EL record with De Gea:
P: 3
W: 1
D: 0
L: 2
GC: 4
CS: 0

EL record with Romero:
P: 11
W: 8
D: 3
L: 0
CS: 7

De Gea played a home game as well as two away matches in the group stage. Lost both away ties.

Revan

Assumptionman

At the end of the day I trust Jose and will be happy with his choice ..I would hope any Utd fan would feel the same instead
I don't know how you hope that every United fan should trust Jose right now. He almost lost our match against a not that great team. At Old Trafford. While leading 2-0.

And we are sixth in the table despite that we spent a shitload of money including a world record transfer.

Jose has shown feck all to be trusted.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I know it doesn't, it certainly could happen to Casillas too who did similar blunders throughout the season. It was more intended to scare you :)

I actually think it's not as simple decision as "De Gea is better so no brainer". We don't really know how these decisions affect players, perhaps De Gea would be uncomfortable with the role after Romero had done all the previous games, perhaps the rest of the team-mates would feel the same, etc...

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I know it doesn't, it certainly could happen to Casillas too who did similar blunders throughout the season. It was more intended to scare you :)

I actually think it's not as simple decision as "De Gea is better so no brainer". We don't really know how these decisions affect players, perhaps De Gea would be uncomfortable with the role after Romero had done all the previous games, perhaps the rest of the team-mates would feel the same, etc...
De Gea was fine starting the EFL Cup final.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'd be happy with either bloke, it's a shame we aren't as well stocked in every other position.

I'd go De Gea as he's our best keeper.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Because De Gea is undeniably the better keeper of the two, but you'd rather Romero play the most important game of our season because "it'd be unfair" if he didn't.
I think you've misread my post. I voted for him because of his performances, not because it'd be unfair otherwise.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, I'd be fine with both.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think you've misread my post. I voted for him because of is performances, not because it'd be unfair otherwise.
It's still sentimentality. One is a better keeper, and one's done alright against a bunch of teams you'd expect him to do alright against, not really doing anything spectacular in any of them, partly because he's not needed to.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maybe he changed his mind on which keeper to play in the EL after seeing De Gea concede four goals in three games. Once Romero came in we kept clean sheets in four consecutive EL matches.

EL record with De Gea:

EL record with Romero:

De Gea played a home game as well as two away matches in the group stage. Lost both away ties.
Bit of a small sample size, no? Three games. Hardly enough to make up the gulf in class we've seen between the two previously, I would've thought.

Plus if that sudden improvement is so obvious, why not make Romero our first choice in the PL too?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Question should be, "should we play one of the best in the world in his position in the most important game of our season?"

Anyone who wants Romero in goal needs to give their head a wobble.
This year and next years CL were on the line tonight and Mourinho played Romero. I'll pass along your recommendation to him to give his head a wobble.

lsd

The Oracle
I'd ask Romero and respect his decision either way.

Really ? Not sure about that as firstly its Jose's decision anyway and to me if I were Romero and was asked do I want to play our not I would be thinking he wants me to say no for him

Revan

Assumptionman

EL record with De Gea:

EL record with Romero:

Is Romero a better keeper than De Gea?

Did Romero really mattered (that much) in any of those matches?

Do you think that De Gea wouldn't have kept clean sheets in those matches Romero did?

Does De Gea becomes a worse keeper when he plays in EL?

Does Romero become a better keeper when he plays in EL?

If your answer is 'No' to all these questions, then you know that Romero shouldn't start. If the answer is 'yes', then are you also in favor of selling De Gea and making Romero our No.1. It would make sense to do so, a better keeper, makes more clean sheets, costs less, etc.

I think that those stats that you provided are as important as Laurent Blanc, Rafael Benitez, Tomislav Ivic and Sven-Goran Erikson having a better win-percentage in UCL than Sir Alex Ferguson. I guess we would have been better having had Blanc as our manager in that competition.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This year and next years CL were on the line tonight and Mourinho played Romero. I'll pass along your recommendation to him to give his head a wobble.
We're not going into the final 1-0 up, with an away goal and home advantage. We're also playing a better team than our opponents in the semi-final.

It's a cup final and the most important game of the season. We should start our strongest team, and De Gea is a key part of that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe we should also drop our best midfielder, then we can be without our best goalie, best defender and best midfielder and everyone is super happy on the sentimental train :rolleyes:

Revan

Assumptionman
Do you also advocate to start Fellaini every single game and to play with 6 at defense at the end of the matches forever?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Bit of a small sample size, no? Three games. Hardly enough to make up the gulf in class we've seen between the two previously, I would've thought.
Based on this season there isn't a gulf between them and when deciding who to play in certain games, Mourinho would have taken that into account. If Mourinho thought there was a gulf in class between them this season, Romero wouldn't have started either of the semi final games.

El Zoido

Definitely stick with Romero, he's earned his place. If he'd been making errors then there'd be a case for it, but he's been solid. I'm confident Mourinho will stick with him in the final.

Revan

Assumptionman
Based on this season there isn't a gulf between them and when deciding who to play in certain games, Mourinho would have taken that into account. If Mourinho thought there was a gulf in class between them this season, Romero wouldn't have started either of the semi final games.
Based on the three matches that we played with 6 on defense and won, it is clear to see that playing 6 at defense has a strong correlation with winning. So, I guess that we will play 6 at the back in the final, and sign a few other defenders in order to be able to play 6 at defense next season each game (we need to consider that half of our defenders are always injured).

Because stats.

Acole9

Outstanding
This match has an awful lot riding on it, we can't take any risks. I feel terrible for Romero but De Gea must start.