Should Jose suffer the same fate....

Should Jose suffer the same fate if we fail to qualify for the CL ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Mourinho goes on too much about the fatigue thing, he makes out we are victims of something other than our own success, which is bullshit. But it is a real thing. Its just a real thing that he has to live with, not something he should be whinging about.
Complaining about the fixtures is asinine. It's set in stone and no amount of whining can change it :lol::rolleyes:. Maybe if he hadn't grossly underestimated the squad like the 2 managers before him and the physicality of the league bearing on injuries, we would've been better off with capable personnel to take the place of those injured or reduced the chance of injuries occuring from overplaying in the case of injuries, or in the case of quality, would have been in a better chance to finish loads of the wasted chances we've spurned this season.

Any team worth its salt would shrug off the challenge of fixture congestion if it had been prepared properly and rotated. It's just excuse to divert attention from the lost chances to catch up with the top 4 earlier in the season. Challanging for trophies is not new to Mourinho, he is a seasoned manager that competed on many fronts(winning the treble with Inter etc) and attained the treble while also being in the PL for most of his career. He should've known that fixture congestion is real yet persisted with a squad that had already been proven to be under qualified for 2 years running and thin and hoped his 3 signings could paper over the cracks.

I don't give a shit about luck as far as i am concerned with converting x chances about the number of missed chances we have this season. You make your own luck on the pitch and can make more/finish if you're capable enough.
Sure, he should have been better prepared for it. He wanted to compete on all fronts, yet didn't manage the squad well enough, which is now biting him on the arse. But your point about Sunderland challenging for the PL (and yes, I know you were exaggerating to support your argument) is completely pointless. Fatigue, like it or not, does have an impact on the squad. Mourinho's complaints are valid, even though his argument is undermined by his own failure to prepare for the fixture congestion.

Vida5Nick

NFP
Sure, he should have been better prepared for it. He wanted to compete on all fronts, yet didn't manage the squad well enough, which is now biting him on the arse. But your point about Sunderland challenging for the PL (and yes, I know you were exaggerating to support your argument) is completely pointless. Fatigue, like it or not, does have an impact on the squad. Mourinho's complaints are valid, even though his argument is undermined by his own failure to prepare for the fixture congestion.
Yeah, i don't see Barca or real complaining in recent times while maintaining treble challanges. Valid or not, they didn't let it affect them and didn't complain either. Basically, what makes us so special that Mou has to pull out a fatigue card here and there when other teams just get on with it? We're not the only team dealing with fatigue here.

How many players would you be looking to sell and bring in @Vida5Nick?
And then you'll pull out person playing Fifa/Football manager one too many card once i elaborate on it, right?? :rolleyes:

I would move on Young, Jones,Smalling,Fellaini,Romero,Rojo,Valencia,Rooney, Darmian and Ibra and build from there, playing in a 4-3-3 False 9. Certainly all of it wouldn't probably be able to fit in a single season, but perhaps, the bulk of it could be done within June and Jan windows.

Basically a counter attacking team with a mix of physicality, speed and technical ability.

-----------------DDG------------
De Sciglio---Bailly---Niklas Sule-----Shaw

---------------Goretzka---------------

----------Saul-----------Pogba---------

Mkhitaryan----Griezmann-------- Martial

Subs: Brandt,Herrera, Rashford,Gaya, Blind, Son, Mata, Donnarumma.

antoine_d_griezmann

Supports
Atlético Madrid, Dortmond
if mourinho fails to reach champions league, i think he deserves the boot ,

the way he has been setting his team is too defensive , 11 draws , no away goal verses top 6 , at times playing 6 at the back, looked like he never wanted to win any of the top 6 clash. hes been too much of a pussy to be man utd manager. add to that one directional football with no creativity at all . he doesnt really knows what his best XI is. these are the basic things a good manager needs to sort out before really diving in the transfer market to build a team challenging for the title. i think utd wont challenge for title next season.

Stacks

Yeah, i don't see Barca or real complaining in recent times while maintaining treble challanges. Valid or not, they didn't let it affect them and didn't complain either. Basically, what makes us so special that Mou has to pull out a fatigue card here and there when other teams just get on with it? We're not the only team dealing with fatigue here.
Just to make an argument, many would state that the demands of Europa are more troublesome

And then you'll pull out person playing Fifa/Football manager one too many card once i elaborate on it, right?? :rolleyes:

I would move on Young, Jones,Smalling,Fellaini,Romero,Rojo,Valencia,Rooney, Darmian and Ibra and build from there, playing in a 4-3-3 False 9. Certainly all of it wouldn't probably be able to fit in a single season, but perhaps, the bulk of it could be done within June and Jan windows.

Basically a counter attacking team with a mix of physicality, speed and technical ability.

-----------------DDG------------
De Sciglio---Bailly---Niklas Sule-----Shaw

---------------Goretzka---------------

----------Saul-----------Pogba---------

Mkhitaryan----Griezmann-------- Martial

Subs: Brandt,Herrera, Rashford,Gaya, Blind, Son, Mata, Donnarumma.

AshRK

i think if mou fails to reach champions league, i think he deserves the boot ,

the way he has been setting his team is too defensive , 11 draws , no away goal verses top 6 , at times playing 6 at the back, looked like he never wanted to win any of the top 6 clash. hes been too much of a pussy to be man utd manager. add to that one directional football with no creativity at all . he doesnt really knows what his best XI is. these are the basic things a good manager needs to sort out before really diving in the transfer market and building a team challenging for the title. i think utd wont challenge for title next season.
This is a bold claim to which you have never presented any solution. So if we sack him, who will we replace with. And pls don't say pochettino or allegri as I don't see them leaving.

Do you realise by sacking him we will be back to square one, same set of average players and new manager made fool by the likes of Rooney, fellaini, lingard, young to choose them over other talented kids. This is what has been happening over last 4 years. Managers getting fooled by average ,hardworking players leading us to finish 7th,4th,5th,6th. How come players get a free pass season after season.

Sorry to say sacking is not an option this summer, maybe next summer but not now.

Stacks

the way he has been setting his team is too defensive , 11 draws , no away goal verses top 6 , at times playing 6 at the back, looked like he never wanted to win any of the top 6 clash. hes been too much of a pussy to be man utd manager. add to that one directional football with no creativity at all . he doesnt really knows what his best XI is. these are the basic things a good manager needs to sort out before really diving in the transfer market to build a team challenging for the title. i think utd wont challenge for title next season.
You support Athletico huh? pot call kettle black........

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense

:lol:

shaky

You can't expect him to fix the disjointed squad in 1 season. The players he brought in were good, he's already moved on a few players and has a few others hovering around the exit door. Bring in a new manager now and all the planning of who comes in and who leaves is up in the air for another season. It's the absolute last thing we need.

antoine_d_griezmann

Supports
This is a bold claim to which you have never presented any solution. So if we sack him, who will we replace with. And pls don't say pochettino or allegri as I don't see them leaving.

Do you realise by sacking him we will be back to square one, same set of average players and new manager made fool by the likes of Rooney, fellaini, lingard, young to choose them over other talented kids. This is what has been happening over last 4 years. Managers getting fooled by average ,hardworking players leading us to finish 7th,4th,5th,6th. How come players get a free pass season after season.

Sorry to say sacking is not an option this summer, maybe next summer but not now.
i had never much heard of conte either only that he won it with juve. point is there are good mangers out there certainly better than mourinho. and if so are you suggesting that utd should accept the shitty football mourinho wants his players to play. its worse than lvg or moyes

sokol11

i had never much heard of conte either only that he won it with juve. point is there are good mangers out there certainly better than mourinho. and if so are you suggesting that utd should accept the shitty football mourinho wants his players to play. its worse than lvg or moyes
Pardon me but are you on some drugs by any chance? what better managers are available? Shitty football? Worse than LVG and Moyes? What kind of football Mourinho wants to play? What can I reply to this? If he has top players at his disposal he produces high scoring teams and wins titles. Most of the time he gets results. Bar our abysmal finishing we would be in top 4 comfortably.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Why can't people like you understand that it takes time to build a good team? A new manager will bring in different players, different formations and different tactics. The players need to get used to that, which will obviously take time and then people like you will start crying for another new manager just because you hate how the manager manages the team.

There were plenty of games this season where we played attacking football, like the Chelsea match. If our played had scored at least half of the chances they have missed you would be praising Jose for getting us into the top 2 or top 3. This is not football manager/FIFA, things won't start going well magically by changing the manager. What was worse was just putting in 1000 crosses every match and hoping to nick a goal under Moyes or just keeping the ball for 90 minutes with 1 or 2 shots on target under LVG.

AshRK

Now there goes your credibility.

antoine_d_griezmann

Supports
You can't expect him to fix the disjointed squad in 1 season. The players he brought in were good, he's already moved on a few players and has a few others hovering around the exit door. Bring in a new manager now and all the planning of who comes in and who leaves is up in the air for another season. It's the absolute last thing we need.
its just the case of glass half filled , your hell bent on seing the filled part while i look at the empty part.

disjointed squad which won the FA cup right? dont make it sound like utd were struggling in relegation before mourinho came.

the players he brought in are obviously good only if he really wishes to use their criativity instead he prefers them tracking back or playing at full back position or playing long balls .whenever utd are chasing the game they resolve to long balls.

see thing is we can argue all along but one thing is for sure mourinho wont change his boring pragmatic approach towards football. i dont like it i hope utd look for a better option. you are ok with it then fine .

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
:lol::houllier:

Stacks

Pardon me but are you on some drugs by any chance? what better managers are available? Shitty football? Worse than LVG and Moyes? What kind of football Mourinho wants to play? What can I reply to this? If he has top players at his disposal he produces high scoring teams and wins titles. Most of the time he gets results. Bar our abysmal finishing we would be in top 4 comfortably.
Maybe not though. All teams miss chances and our rivals have missed more :eek:

AshRK

its just the case of glass half filled , your hell bent on seing the filled part while i look at the empty part.

disjointed squad which won the FA cup right? dont make it sound like utd were struggling in relegation before mourinho came.

the players he brought in are obviously good only if he really wishes to use their criativity instead he prefers them tracking back or playing at full back position or playing long balls .whenever utd are chasing the game they resolve to long balls.

see thing is we can argue all along but one thing is for sure mourinho wont change his boring pragmatic approach towards football. i dont like it i hope utd look for a better option. you are ok with it then fine .
I don't know why you and some act as if tracking back is a crime and something only jose adopts. Have you seen us play under sir alex, our wingers used to help fullbacks. Do you understand football is a team game. You sound like pep and klopp, ohh let us just attack like fools.you know what is the biggest criticisms of sterling and sane, they don't track back. Have you seen ronaldo, even he tracks back helps defensively, have you seen messi, even he from time time tracks back. Top players do track back, you can't just stand and wait for the ball to come.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

They have not gotten a free pass. A lot of players have been sold these last few seasons.

MightyRedz

I think the key thing for me is that the Chelsea squad that Conte has walked the league with (and may add the FA Cup) is the same one (with the addition of David Luiz) that had a mare of a season last year and got Jose the sack, their football having changed from sterile to expansive in the process. So it obviously was not an underlying problem with the players there.

United under him have done the seemingly impossible - they've spent more than their rivals, without improving their league position AND have played football that has been no better than that served up by the Moyes and Van Gaal teams.

In the meantime we've had the usual woe is me complaints about injuries, referees, the media, match scheduling etc etc, that has given players excuses and has seriously undermined his credibility.

The board are in a pickle - they can't sack him, but if they back him it will cost the club plenty. If they win Europa League they will qualify for Champions League - but the question is will this be a good thing in reality, as it's hard to believe they will have the momentum, quality or system to progress in that competition next season.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
The board are in a pickle - they can't sack him, but if they back him it will cost the club plenty. If they win Europa League they will qualify for Champions League - but the question is will this be a good thing in reality, as it's hard to believe they will have the momentum, quality or system to progress in that competition next season.
How do you know that? How much will a new manager spend when Jose is fired? Can other managers attract players like Pogba, Zlatan and Mkhi without CL?

peridigm

Weren't we the best defensively last season though? Having almost the same defensive stats as the league winners but scoring so many fewer goals just shows we have to sacrifice our attacking play to get that solidity.
Under LVG we were absolutely horrible to watch. For the most part, this season has been more pleasing on the eye in terms of our play. We've played some nice attacking football at times and created a lot of chances but did not finish them. Teams also don't give us the space with Jose's style and tactics. Under SAF we had a lot more space due to our counter attacking style of play.

Last year, we did not create near as many chances nor did we take the shots, we played defensive only. I firmly believe if Jose was not available when he was, we'd still have LVG.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How do you know that? How much will a new manager spend when Jose is fired? Can other managers attract players like Pogba, Zlatan and Mkhi without CL?
Can Mourinho attract those players after a full season of terrible football to watch with players that are made to play beautiful and creatively? Mourinho has been a horrible representation of Manchester United in my opinion. Not only is he playing an ugly style of football, but he's also not winning on top of it. Back in his Chelsea days, the wins more than made up the aesthetics of his tactics, but here he is a double-bogey.
I think Pogba, Zlatan, and Mikhi coming without the CL was with the clear understanding that they would have the opportunity to bring Manchester United back from relative darkness into the top of the line club that it has historically been. I think this season has been a disillusion for a lot of people, and Mourinho has to bear the brunt of it. He's not even an upgrade on LVG. I really think Jose's style is simply outdated, he's not the special one he claimed to be back in the days anymore. What he has done with this team is simply nowhere near good enough, even if they win the final.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its interesting that in the days leading up to Mourinho being hired this forum had a poll which had just 15 or 16% of people not wanting him. Its taken less than a season to see a growing number of people unhappy with the season and more importantly how we play.
Its also amusing to see how some of those who argued that the style of football didnt matter and 1-0 wins would be good enough are now complaining about the style of football being dished up. Seemingly the style of football now matters.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Its interesting that in the days leading up to Mourinho being hired this forum had a poll which had just 15 or 16% of people not wanting him. Its taken less than a season to see a growing number of people unhappy with the season and more importantly how we play.
Its also amusing to see how some of those who argued that the style of football didnt matter and 1-0 wins would be good enough are now complaining about the style of football being dished up. Seemingly the style of football now matters.
And if we were getting those 1-0 wins there would be far less complaining. But we're not and the style of football is a big reason for that so obviously people will complain about it.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Under LVG we were absolutely horrible to watch. For the most part, this season has been more pleasing on the eye in terms of our play. We've played some nice attacking football at times and created a lot of chances but did not finish them. Teams also don't give us the space with Jose's style and tactics. Under SAF we had a lot more space due to our counter attacking style of play.

Last year, we did not create near as many chances nor did we take the shots, we played defensive only. I firmly believe if Jose was not available when he was, we'd still have LVG.
This may also have something to do with scoring early under SAF. If the top team manages to get a goal the other team will be forced to attack which leave more space to kill the game.

If on the other hand teams continue to succeed to play defensive and counter they will continue to do so.

Vida5Nick

NFP
Just asking a question mate.
Sorry my posting limit expired last night. Ah i see, no worries. I had that thrown at me so many times hence i thought it was going to be the same this time around.

Last edited:

Vida5Nick

NFP
Why can't people like you understand that it takes time to build a good team? A new manager will bring in different players, different formations and different tactics. The players need to get used to that, which will obviously take time and then people like you will start crying for another new manager just because you hate how the manager manages the team.

There were plenty of games this season where we played attacking football, like the Chelsea match. If our played had scored at least half of the chances they have missed you would be praising Jose for getting us into the top 2 or top 3. This is not football manager/FIFA, things won't start going well magically by changing the manager. What was worse was just putting in 1000 crosses every match and hoping to nick a goal under Moyes or just keeping the ball for 90 minutes with 1 or 2 shots on target under LVG.

I hate this sort of thing.

I don't give a shit about luck in front of the goal as far as i am concerned with converting x chances about the number of missed chances we have this season. You make your own luck on the pitch and can make more/finish if you're capable enough. As it stands, we're not capable of making more chances or finishing more. There is no such thing as luck, just capability on the pitch.

Bold 2: It will, if you choose the correct manager. Conte had a squad that was 16th the previous season, the one that got Mou the sack. So how is it that he could manage to get that to first without any excuses like transition or fatigue? No because he doesn't give a shit about that and gets down to business.

BebétheBest

I don't give a shit about luck in front of the goal as far as i am concerned with converting x chances about the number of missed chances we have this season. You make your own luck on the pitch and can make more/finish if you're capable enough. As it stands, we're not capable of making more chances or finishing more. There is no such thing as luck, just capability on the pitch.

Bold 2: It will, if you choose the correct manager. Conte had a squad that was 16th the previous season, the one that got Mou the sack. So how is it that he could manage to get that to first without any excuses like transition or fatigue? No because he doesn't give a shit about that and gets down to business.
This is it exactly. People go on about how many chances we've created or our coversion rate to explain why we're so far down the table but...

These stats consider all "chances" as being equal but if they were we wouldn't be almost 30 goals behind Chelsea and Spurs, and 2 behind Bournemouth. Whoever compiles these stats decides what is a "chance" and what is not. Is Rojo, Pogba, Herrera blasting one over from 35 yards a chance? At one stage we had the highest number of shots from outside the box, if you've been to a home game the groans around the place let you know that these shots usually come after a period of play when we've run out of ideas to create a goal scoring opportunity.

We're simply not creative enough in attack, we attack slowly and don't take risks by rarely commit full backs to attack. If we created better quality of chances like the more attacking teams in the league then we'd definitely have more goals.

el3mel

This is it exactly. People go on about how many chances we've created or our coversion rate to explain why we're so far down the table but...

These stats consider all "chances" as being equal but if they were we wouldn't be almost 30 goals behind Chelsea and Spurs, and 2 behind Bournemouth. Whoever compiles these stats decides what is a "chance" and what is not. Is Rojo, Pogba, Herrera blasting one over from 35 yards a chance? At one stage we had the highest number of shots from outside the box, if you've been to a home game the groans around the place let you know that these shots usually come after a period of play when we've run out of ideas to create a goal scoring opportunity.

We're simply not creative enough in attack, we attack slowly and don't take risks by rarely commit full backs to attack. If we created better quality of chances like the more attacking teams in the league then we'd definitely have more goals.
All these are considered chances yes. People talk about chances as if the players must be 1 vs 1 with the keeper every chance to be considered. Never mind we also missed these kind of sitters, too. Chance is any chance to get the ball in the net, whatever it's and all teams have been scoring from these.

Can you tell me how many goals top teams were scoring from shots outside the box or by individual skills from single players to open the game ? A lot and when it happens they are considered top quality players. No one say they scored individual goals because they don't have a style of play.

If our players are creative they should be scoring hard goals. If we were waiting for us to create 10 1vs1 chances each match we'll be disappointed. The "not crearing clear cut chances " term is misused heavily to justify us not scoring. If our players can't score unless they are 5 yards away from the goal then we are in serious troubles here.

GM K

A league tends to show your consistency and squad depth while a knockout tournament reflects more of the quality of your starting XI.

You can win a league by beating the crap out of the lower teams but losing to the top teams while in a tournament you have to beat everyone you face.
I have to agree with you.

The quality of the league is also a factor. If it is merely leagues that determine team quality, how do you compare the winner of the Belgian league with the winner of the LA Liga for instance?

I think we have yo look at a range of yardsticks to determine the quality of a team.

GM K

:lol: :lol:

You are obviously upset and it's understandable. But calm down. This is Jose Mourinho we are talking about here. My bet is on United winning the EL and fighting seriously for the title next season. It's simply about improving on those draws. Turn a few into wins and we won't be having this conversation. Pretty sure he'll set up the team to win more next season.

GM K

I hope this thread lasts long enough. It will be interesting quoting some of the posts here after Jose has had about 12 more months at United.

Many people will eat their words because he's a top, top manager and it looks like he is working hard at changing his attitude to fit into the United culture.

Interesting months ahead.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Any arguments can turned to suit one's opinion, it can be said that a transition wasn't that needed as most Chelsea players knew each other very well and fatigue was minimal thanks to no european competition. Conte did a great job and Mourinho could have and should have done much better at the end of the day, it is as simple as that.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I hope this thread lasts long enough. It will be interesting quoting some of the posts here after Jose has had about 12 more months at United.

Many people will eat their words because he's a top, top manager and it looks like he is working hard at changing his attitude to fit into the United culture.

I dont see many at all calling for his head. I do see a lot rightly criticising him for this season. You have to assume he will improve next season. But no one will be eating their words

BebétheBest

Really? Looks quite the opposite to me, he's working hard at changing the whole attitude and culture of the club to fit his own view of the most effective way to play football. I've seen many fans buy into it already in games we haven't even tried to win but merely not lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.