Sir Ryan Giggs

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
The thing is, he wasn't even that bad at the start of the season. He wasn't at his best, but nor were most of our players.

People are just on a hair-trigger because of his age, they just assume that a few misplaced passes or an anonymous performance heralds the end times, and that we MUST ACT NOW to limit the damage.

Adebesi

I agree the way this season is panning out it is highly unlikely it will be seen as a year too long, he has scored a couple of important goals and made some significant contributions. SAF is using him quite sensibly this year too.

Having said that it wouldnt surprise me if this season was his last. For precisely the reasons thegreatdane mentioned, he could go out on a high this summer. At the same time, our reliance on him has all but vanished, same with Scholes. He could do another season, it may end up being like this season, it probably would. It all just depends on his appetite. But I think this year could be it for the pair of them.

SAF on the other hand will go on for a while yet.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Given his recent form I'm very happy he's staying on for another year!

Still has a lot to offer the first team. Not only that but surely his presence in the squad has other major benefits too.

Forevergiggs

I agree the way this season is panning out it is highly unlikely it will be seen as a year too long, he has scored a couple of important goals and made some significant contributions. SAF is using him quite sensibly this year too.

Having said that it wouldnt surprise me if this season was his last. For precisely the reasons thegreatdane mentioned, he could go out on a high this summer. At the same time, our reliance on him has all but vanished, same with Scholes. He could do another season, it may end up being like this season, it probably would. It all just depends on his appetite. But I think this year could be it for the pair of them.

He signed another extension, Simon. :wenger:

OJKernow

Deserves it for his recent form alone, let alone the years of service he has given us.

He wasn't setting the stage alight earlier in the season and the same will probably happen again for a spell next year. What he has shown though is that he still has an important role to play and can still be very effective when used in the right way, especially as we look to compete on multiple fronts.

To think that he was my idol as a young school boy when I was first getting into football and to see him still tearing it up now is amazing.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

You appear to have missed this
https://www.redcafe.net/13067763-post942.html

Cevno

WAG! He keeps going and going.

First half of the season he was poor tbh, but has picked up in the second half. Not sure what to make of this decision, but if Sir Alex feels he can contribute then good enough for me.

Just hope he only stays as backup though and it doesn't prevent us from signing others.

Amir

I thought he was over and done with three months into the season, but he's really been terrific in the recent couple of months. I'm still not keen on him as a midfielder and I saw both the pros and cons of his performance against QPR, but he's definitely got a role to play here.

I just logged into Twitter and saw many people write about Giggs. I figured something happened and was actually terrified for a few moments it was an announcement about retirement. Happy it wasn't!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His performance against West Ham in the cup was, for me, the best performance from any of our players in a game this season.

Also, Giggs isn't an idiot. I fully trust that if he feels like he can't contribute anymore, he'll give it up... and he has certainly earned the respect and trust of the club to not take the decision out of his hands immediately.

Adebesi

D'oh.

Fair enough. Onward and upwards for Giggsy then. Happy days.

The main this is SAF no longer seems to feel the need to treat him as our first choice midfielder. Using him sparingly we get the best out of him, everyone's a winner.

Nathan

This is great news, it sends out the right message to those younger players, if you look after yourself and you able to produce top performances when called on you will be rewarded.

May he continue to enjoy a good relationship with the fans, technical staff, management and board of Manchester United.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I just had a thought, where his sub-par performances earlier in the season because of burnout from the Olympics?

Adebesi

Ive said it before, both Giggs and Scholes seem to have a lot to offer still as long as they get loads of rest. They should have a job share. One should rest for the first half of the season, the other for the second. We could even merge their names and let them share a shirt, with the name Goles.

Brophs

The One and Only
Doron Salomon ‏@DoronSalomon
Giggs... "the first footballer to reach the mandatory coaching qualification for PL and CL managers, while still playing"

Interesting fact if true.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Ive said it before, both Giggs and Scholes seem to have a lot to offer still as long as they get loads of rest. They should have a job share. One should rest for the first half of the season, the other for the second. We could even merge their names and let them share a shirt, with the name Goles.
There's a big difference between them in that Scholes can't really run anymore. Giggs isn't even slow!

His performances eary in the season were nothing unusual for him - or for most other players for that matter. Half our team looked crap, and the other three wingers have all played worse than that this season.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The problem isn't Giggs or Scholes pushing younger players out of matches in my opinion, despite what Pogba or Gibson might think. Giggs and Scholes can be an important tools, used when necessary.

The problem could be the 25 man squad (23 in Europe) though.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I'd like Giggsy to get the 1000 caps for United. He's playing this 1000th game for United, Wales and GB combined this weekend. (Which coincides this week with his debut game weekend all those years ago)

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I just had a thought, where his sub-par performances earlier in the season because of burnout from the Olympics?
That's a big possibility. Good to hear he's staying on, get him on pen duty so he can grab a goal next season and keep that record in tact.

He needs to play for another season after that if he wants to get the oldest premier league goalscorer record.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There's a big difference between them in that Scholes can't really run anymore. Giggs isn't even slow!

His performances eary in the season were nothing unusual for him - or for most other players for that matter. Half our team looked crap, and the other three wingers have all played worse than that this season.
He also had only started 6 games by the beginning of December (and 7 since then) - no idea how anyone could say Sir Alex has finally stopped treating him as a first-choice midfielder. He started 25 league and CL games in 10/11, 17 in 11/12 and then this season he's started just 10 so far. He has been used increasingly sparingly since 2010.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

99 red balloons

Growing talk that he'll use the next couple of years to shadow Fergie, and then step up when the time comes. Not beyond the realms either I don't think...

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Been a pleasure to watch him in recent weeks. No rose-tinted glasses are needed to see the contribution he's making.

Member 39557

I wish that lob had gone in against QPR. If Bale had done that, they'd be having group wank sessions on motd.

Cevno

Growing talk that he'll use the next couple of years to shadow Fergie, and then step up when the time comes. Not beyond the realms either I don't think...
Unlikely, i would say unless he gets experience elsewhere till then for a year or 2 atleast.

Won't mind it though, as we have a good structure in place anyway and he would fit straight into it without changing much.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
A better one is if Cantona had kept going to the same age he'd have been able to play in the 2007 FA Cup Final.
:eek:

I'm not sure I'm ready for the day when Sir Alex and Giggsy quit.

SirAF

Ageist
Giggs on the touch line in a suit, driving on the Ferguson legacy :drool:

Adebesi

See that is a step further than I feel comfortable with. It smacks of sentimentality. Surely it would make more sense to give him the youth team or something, a la Ole. But shadowing SAF for a few years is not enough experience to take over the top spot.

coolredwine

lameredboots
On March 2, 1991 Ryan Giggs played his 1st professional football match.
On March 2, 2013 Giggs can play his 1000th match as a professional.

:cool:

Shark

@NotShark
I'm delighted to see the legend of a man carry on for yet another season. He's not only a United legend though, he's a footballing legend. That standing ovation at the Bernabeu Stadium gave me shivers.