Smashley Young

Plan M

Wasn't that good. I guess it frustrates me when I see him give away the ball attempting the simplest of passes or just knowing that he can't use his left for anything but to stand on it.

He was good. Wasn't great, I thought.
He was vital today seeing as Tony and Nani didn't feature. He gets slated too much around here, he's a very talented player.

Too early to say that.
No it's not. Where would we be right now without his winner against West Brom first game of the season? Or without his 2 goals last week?

Ash_G

Today though showed the massive difference in us working the ball out to Young in situations where he can have a go at his man, rather than say against Bilbao, where he was constantly having to come inside, or short to Evra to get on the ball. It's the same for all our wingers. Rooney aside they're our biggest threats and the more we can get them on the ball the better our play will be.

Interval

Level
He was vital today seeing as Tony and Nani didn't feature. He gets slated too much around here, he's a very talented player.

No it's not. Where would we be right now without his winner against West Brom first game of the season? Or without his 2 goals last week?
No, I like him as an addition to the squad. He has just got that thing in him. Like Nani, Rooney. You know the talent is there but they frustrate you on and off.

I thought he was good in the first half after the first 20 mins or so.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think this game was his best for United so far. I still don't understand his crosses though.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
If, and its a big if, we win the league then you can maybe use that as a justification. But scoring the odd goal has not made Andy Carroll a good signing.
Young has got to be consistently productive for a very long period of time to be judged a "very good signing" for the money that was paid for him.

I'm just happy he's seeing so much of the ball at the moment. He's always likely to make something happen with his pace and directness. There have been too many games where he's been pretty much invisible.

prateik

Width is very important to the way we play. With Valencia and Nani out, we needed him to perform.. and he deed.

Cold_Boy

Was very good yesterday.

Likes to get involved himself instead of waiting for it which is a good attribute to have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great first half. Won a penalty in the second. Excellent game.

Still think he needs to work on his crossing. Maybe work on crossing with his left as well to add a new dimension. That's the reason he doesn't go on the on the outside much. He'd have to cut back on to his right anyway because he doesn't seem comfortable crossing with his left and I can't see him shooting much with it either.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Great first half. Won a penalty in the second. Excellent game.

Still think he needs to work on his crossing. Maybe work on crossing with his left as well to add a new dimension. That's the reason he doesn't go on the on the outside much. He'd have to cut back on to his right anyway because he doesn't seem comfortable crossing with his left and I can't see him shooting much with it either.
He did shoot with his left yesterday, in the first half from a slightly acute angle.

But you're right, he's not comfortable with his left, less than I thought he would be.

amolbhatia50k

He did shoot with his left yesterday, in the first half from a slightly acute angle.

But you're right, he's not comfortable with his left, less than I thought he would be.
That was one occasion he should have shifted on to his right, actually.

I just think when he's out wide it would be great if he could mix it up by crossing it with his left. He inevitably comes back on to his right even if he first does beat the defender on the outside. If I were a defender I'd show him on to the outside every time because I'm not sure he'll do anything productive with that scenario even if beats me.

But to be fair, Young is more about being direct and linking up anyway rather than an out and out winger, so he's pretty effective as it is. Glad he's come back into form at the right time. Looks full of confidence.

Northstand

A Liverpool fan I know still insists Downing will prove the better signing. No, seriously.

Varun

Staff
That was one occasion he should have shifted on to his right, actually.

I just think when he's out wide it would be great if he could mix it up by crossing it with his left. He inevitably comes back on to his right even if he first does beat the defender on the outside. If I were a defender I'd show him on to the outside every time because I'm not sure he'll do anything productive with that scenario even if beats me.

But to be fair, Young is more about being direct and linking up anyway rather than an out and out winger, so he's pretty effective as it is. Glad he's come back into form at the right time. Looks full of confidence.
With his pace, you just cannot afford to show him open space as he'l just run past you into the box or at the very least win corners every time.

Jonno

You can see he is far more daring now, at first he was quite afraid to not make a mistake in a Man United shirt. Not now, I want him to be daring, to hog the ball, because when he does, something dangerous happens

amolbhatia50k

With his pace, you just cannot afford to show him open space as he'l just run past you into the box or at the very least win corners every time.
I don't mean showing him open space but you'd certainly make sure you're always prepared for that movement of his because most of his good work comes from shifting it on to his right. My point is that being able to go on the outside and put a delivery in more effectively would help him even more because right now I see it him using that as a means to create space to come back again on to his right. Even when he goes on the outside he actually has to beat his man to do damage because he'd have to go past him and then cut across him after.

It's a very small aspect of course. I just feel given he's got the pace it only makes sense to be able to make that deliver. Often I feel he's fooled the defender and gotten space on the outside but has to keep checking back on to his left.

IL_DUCE

He is a very hard worker, and is thus useful even when he doesn't contribute much offensively-which (sometimes) happens when he is not in form. In form, he contributes in an efficient, ruthless and entertaining way.

A very good signing IMO

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't mean showing him open space but you'd certainly make sure you're always prepared for that movement of his because most of his good work comes from shifting it on to his right. My point is that being able to go on the outside and put a delivery in more effectively would help him even more because right now I see it him using that as a means to create space to come back again on to his right. Even when he goes on the outside he actually has to beat his man to do damage because he'd have to go past him and then cut across him after.

It's a very small aspect of course. I just feel given he's got the pace it only makes sense to be able to make that deliver. Often I feel he's fooled the defender and gotten space on the outside but has to keep checking back on to his left.
Seems a strange criticism to make after this particular game, against this particular team. He won the penalty by going on the outside of his man and the last time we played WBA he forced a late winner by doing the same thing.

I think his ability to use both feet is one of his strengths. He seems equally comfortable going inside or outside his full-back.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Like everyone else in our team, was great yesterday... caused there rightback all sorts of problems and was generally our biggest thread along with Welbeck.

I just wish he'd use his left foot more... it's obviously quite strong, as he can strike a ball quite well with it, so I definitely think he should have more confidence when it comes to whipping a cross in with it.

amolbhatia50k

Seems a strange criticism to make after this particular game, against this particular team. He won the penalty by going on the outside of his man and the last time we played WBA he forced a late winner by doing the same thing.

I think his ability to use both feet is one of his strengths. He seems equally comfortable going inside or outside his full-back.
It's not really a criticism. Just something I think he can improve on based on seeing him this season (not based on this game). He literally tore the defender to shreds yesterday.

Also, both those times he outright beat the defender, which is obviously fantastic and there is nothing like it. But the times he can't outright beat the defender or when he's up against a better one, it would add to his game if, when all the defender allows him to do is make some space, he could put in a cross more effectively using his left. I'm sure he's done that a few times as well but it's something I feel if he improves on would add to his game.

amolbhatia50k

Like everyone else in our team, was great yesterday... caused there rightback all sorts of problems and was generally our biggest thread along with Welbeck.

I just wish he'd use his left foot more... it's obviously quite strong, as he can strike a ball quite well with it, so I definitely think he should have more confidence when it comes to whipping a cross in with it.
Exactly how I feel. And it's alright if he doesn't. Every player has their strengths. Valencia is someone who has a very set game but uses his strengths fantastically. But it would help further improve Young if he does that.

Cina

He's like a lesser version of Nani. Frustrating at times, but most games he'll make a really good chance. The only thing he lacked yesterday was solid end product. Other than that, it was a great game for him.
Wouldn't compare him to Nani personally. 1 think he's quite a different player from both him and Valencia, which is a good thing, 3 very different wingers, all capable of being lethal in their own ways.

Bear Attack

I prefer Antonio Valencia over Young but I have to say, his performance against West Brom made us look very free flowing and dynamic.

acnumber9

It's not really a criticism. Just something I think he can improve on based on seeing him this season (not based on this game). He literally tore the defender to shreds yesterday.

Also, both those times he outright beat the defender, which is obviously fantastic and there is nothing like it. But the times he can't outright beat the defender or when he's up against a better one, it would add to his game if, when all the defender allows him to do is make some space, he could put in a cross more effectively using his left. I'm sure he's done that a few times as well but it's something I feel if he improves on would add to his game.
Is that you Jamie?

Devil may care

Young has always been patchy, fortunately he's came back into a good patch at just the right time for us with Valencia and Nani injured.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I prefer Antonio Valencia over Young but I have to say, his performance against West Brom made us look very free flowing and dynamic.
I'd say that they're quite similar in ability, but what makes me prefer Valencia to him is that he's more consistent.

Young played well at the start of the season and he's playing well now, but he has had large patches of games where he's been ineffective for us. I wouldn't really say the same for Valencia though.