So what's next for Sir Gareth Southgate?

Pickle85

And why would he accept it??

Why is there this presumption that it is that simple??
As if there is no way he would say no....
To be fair, he did say 'go for', not 'get'. I absolutely agree with him too...Tuchel is clearly head, shoulders and torso above captain yes man as a coach.

TheGame

He’s just making it fecking complicated. It’s clear 4-2-3-1 is best for the team yet he persists with the negative formation which has yearned 0 open play goals in recent games. The only positive is at least the media won’t be raving about our chances at the world cup as there is nothing to be excited about.

I expect a disaster and another tournament where we will waste a talented group of players.

Pickle85

I think it's more like:

Brazil France Argentina
then Spain Belgium Holland Portugal Croatia
then England Germany

If England play any of those teams in the tier above us we'll lose, it's that simple.

In the World Cup we lost against the first 'world class' team we played (Belgium) then lost against the other world class team we played. In the Euros it was the same. The last 2 international tournaments we were insanely lucky when it came to the draw, if we draw any of those teams in the Ro16 (Barring Germany who I think we have a chance against) we'll be coming home.

Also good to note that this is probably the worst Germany team in the last 20 years.
It's really not that clear cut. Of the teams you put in the tier above us, I'd only have the Netherlands and Spain as better. Belgium is debatable and despite recent history I don't have either Portugal or Croatia as better, assuming we get a competent coach in charge.

redcucumber

Would any of them really accept the job, if it meant missing out on a club job??

Also Rodgers, have you seen Leicester??
Rodgers has achieved a hell of a lot more than Gareth fecking Southgate, regardless of Leicester's recent failings.

MUW4Eva

££££

When England signed Capello he was considered at par to SAF. I agree that he was not suited for the job but top managers would come if paid well and England does pay well

I would also keep an eye to Ancelotti, Conte and Mancini, all of whom are 10 times the players Southgate was and 100 times the manager Southgate is.
Why would Conte leave Spurs now??
Carlo is at Real Madrid, no chance of him leaving them, and Mancini.....didn't he just beat us last night, why would he leave his home nation??

This is the issue, it is unbelievably easy to just say, "Sack Southgate, he has to go!!", it is a heck of a lot harder to actually put forward realistic names as his possible replacement....

AaronRedDevil

Pretty confident ireland could beat Tunisia and Panama. Colombia is a hard one. But any time in that tournament they faced a solid team. They lost. Belgium (Group stage and 3rd place match) twice and Croatia. Its amazing Gareth fooled everyone.

CM

Southgate has got away with a lot on the basis that he's got England to a World Cup semi final and a Euros final.

The football has been uninspired for quite a long time and I don't have any faith he can turn that around. He got results when the draws were favourable but (Germany in the Euros aside) any time Southgate has faced a decent team, he has been shown up.

I imagine it'll be a pretty insipid World Cup. England will just about muster their way out of a very ordinary group and then the first good team they face in the knockouts will beat them fairly comfortably.

Hopefully then England can look to a more adventurous or at least more accomplished manager.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you actually watch the games or just look at the results? If you do indeed watch them and are still impressed by Southgate then :lol:.
I'm not impressed by Southgate. Just pointing out that he's actually gotten the best results out of any england manager since Ramsey, and it's international football, you can't just sack him and hire Guardiola. Southgate so far has been successfull. His successor whoever they may be is highly unlikely to be a world class manager - because those guys vey rarely take national team jobs - so why are you people so ready to replace him with an unknown? Fact of the matter is england went closer to winning their first trophy in 50 years with Southgate. They've been competitive when it mattered. Bit more luck going their way and they'd be european champions by now. No reason why they shouldn't have that bit of luck in Qatar either

Lee565

Would any of them really accept the job, if it meant missing out on a club job??

Also Rodgers, have you seen Leicester??
I could see them accepting it considering the pool of talent they can work with and the huge salary they would get which is what it is all about in football

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Non-English supporters telling us to shut up and bow down to Southgate is hilarious. The man hasn’t won or had his side score a non penalty goal in the last 5 games but calling that out is bringing out Brexitness — whatever the feck that means.

corno_mufc

What's next?

We scrape getting out the WC group, but get knocked out r16 / QF

He is then replaced.

And we wish we had done it after the 4-0 Hungary defeat

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I could see them accepting it considering the pool of talent they can work with and the huge salary they would get which is what it is all about in football
Who are we talking about? Ancelotti? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mancini? He's not leaving Italy. He could get better jobs than england if he didn't see Italy as the pinnacle of his career(we're very lucky with that and should never let him go as long as he wants the job). Same with Luis Enrique with Spain

Rodgers? Why would he take the England job 1 month before the world cup? And what makes you think he's not gonna jump back into club football as soon as he gets a good offer? And what makes you think he'd even do a better job anyways?

The actual managerial pool for international football is radically different than club football - the top club managers don't want to coach national sides - , and the job itself is also very very different. The qualities that make managers like Klopp great at club level don't automatically translate at international level

Lee565

Who are we talking about? Ancelotti? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mancini? He's not leaving Italy. He could get better jobs than england if he didn't see Italy as the pinnacle of his career(we're very lucky with that and should never let him go as long as he wants the job). Same with Luis Enrique with Spain

Rodgers? Why would he take the England job 1 month before the world cup? And what makes you think he's not gonna jump back into club football as soon as he gets a good offer? And what makes you think he'd even do a better job anyways?

The actual managerial pool for international football is radically different than club football - the top club managers don't want to coach national sides - , and the job itself is also very very different. The qualities that make managers like Klopp great at club level don't automatically translate at international level
I was referencing more to potchettino

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Honestly I think he's got an old school 442 team but just hasn't realised yet. If you take Maddison in the squad as well then you can always flex to a 4231 when it suits.

Pickford
James Tomori Kilman Chilwell
Sterling Rice Bellingham Grealish
Kane Toney/Rashford

Alternative:
Pickford
Rice Phillips
Sancho Maddison/Grealish Grealish/Rashford/Sterling
Kane

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This post was odd. English football is gone, yet England could win a tournament. What point are you trying to make? I don't know how old you are or what you're experience is of youth football in England, but the "4-4-2 hard man stuff" you grew up on isn't the template for underage football nowadays and hasn't been for a while.

Also, lots of the top players in the PL are English. Reece James, Trent, Rice, Sterling, Kane, Saka, Foden are all at the top. Then you have players like Trippier, Walker, Mount, Sancho, Toney, Bowen who are all key players for their respective sides and either already play for or could be playing for the best teams in the country.
I think your post is the odd one.

Your first sentences has the point im trying to make. Then after you query my age ( im old enough to have seen it) you explain it to yourself.

The poster said English football is a powerhouse when for reasons youve just alluded to it isnt. Unless the Term English football has now changed to describe something else when it used to mean how English teams played the game in the past.

If England win a tournament it wont be by playing old school football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is the FA so rich they can offer him Guardiola-wages? Because that's what it would take

And then what happens if you don't win anyways? Or he gets an offer from, say, Bayern Munich?

CallyRed

Looking forward to seeing Lee Carsley in charge once Southgate legs it after finishing bottom of our group.

Judas

Open to offers
Is the FA so rich they can offer him Guardiola-wages? Because that's what it would take

And then what happens if you don't win anyways? Or he gets an offer from, say, Bayern Munich?
You’ve said some daft things in this discussion but the idea of Bayern wanting Poch is maybe the worst.

MUW4Eva

And there is nothing about him to suggest on any way he would (a) accept the job, and (b) would do a better job than Southgate....

As he is just a very poor manager himself.

Lee565

The fa board are as inept and reactionary as our board were with ole.

We did have a good spell of choosing quality managers like Bobby Robson, venables and hoddle and ever since that pr disaster with hoddle's odd personal beliefs the fa tried going down the safe route which has funnily enough often still backfired with sven's wondering eyes and big Sam's love for backhanders

redcucumber

I think your post is the odd one.

Your first sentences has the point im trying to make. Then after you query my age ( im old enough to have seen it) you explain it to yourself.

The poster said English football is a powerhouse when for reasons youve just alluded to it isnt. Unless the Term English football has now changed to describe something else when it used to mean how English teams played the game in the past.

If England win a tournament it wont be by playing old school football.
How is English football not a powerhouse? England have reached the final and semi-finals of the most recent tournaments and the clubs are either consistently winning or getting to latter stages of the CL. If English football isn't a powerhouse (whatever that actually means), which countries are?

England don't play old school, hard man football. They haven't for ages.

EngimaMK

This guy is such a dick. Yes man, tactically clueless, "progressive", big beak, in thrall to reputations, uninspiring.
Non-English supporters telling us to shut up and bow down to Southgate is hilarious. The man hasn’t won or had his side score a non penalty goal in the last 5 games but calling that out is bringing out Brexitness — whatever the feck that means.
Saying "Brexit" is a go to insult for the simple minded.

Lee565

Can he be that choosy at the moment, the egos at psg damaged his reputation to the point that ten hag and potter were more fancied over him currently by top 6 clubs.

redcucumber

And there is nothing about him to suggest on any way he would (a) accept the job, and (b) would do a better job than Southgate....

As he is just a very poor manager himself.
You have some very odd takes. So because there's no guarantee that a more highly qualified manager than Southgate would do a better job, there's no point in hiring them. What sort of bizarre logic is that? Pochettino and Brendan Rodgers are both much more qualified and have proven themselves at different clubs in different environments within management. Pochettino needs to rebuild his reputation, as does Rodgers. I think Pochettino could be tempted, Rodgers would jump at the opportunity.

SteveCoppellFan

I doubt the FA would sack Southgate even if England have a poor WC.

England will no doubt get through the group playing average football and then might sneak a drab win in the knockout phase and then meekly lose in the 1/4s by the odd goal or two and Southgate will point out the fact that these games are won and lost by small margins. blah blah blah

The the FA will stick by him because he is exactly the type of personality they prefer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can he be that choosy at the moment, the egos at psg damaged his reputation to the point that ten hag and potter were more fancied over him currently by top 6 clubs.
Yes he can. He's still a young manager and the only way taking the england job 1 month before the world cup - that means he's only going to work with the player for like 5 days next month and then another week before the start of the WC btw - would help his reputation is if he wins it - which is a long shot regardless of how good a manager he is or how good a job he does

Guys like Pochettino generally want to keep managing clubs, not national teams

It's this absurdity that seemingly Southgate - the guy who went closest than any other in 50 years to winning england an actual trophy - is the reason why england won't win the WC - as if another guy would surely do it - that i'm pointing out here.

If england was to replace Southgate, they should have done so right after the euro final. Even that would have been iffy given the new manager would only have had a year and like 6 international breaks to figure things out

And southgate is certainly not doing a bad job

Stringer

I'm not impressed by Southgate. Just pointing out that he's actually gotten the best results out of any england manager since Ramsey, and it's international football, you can't just sack him and hire Guardiola. Southgate so far has been successfull. His successor whoever they may be is highly unlikely to be a world class manager - because those guys vey rarely take national team jobs - so why are you people so ready to replace him with an unknown? Fact of the matter is england went closer to winning their first trophy in 50 years with Southgate. They've been competitive when it mattered. Bit more luck going their way and they'd be european champions by now. No reason why they shouldn't have that bit of luck in Qatar either
You would hardly need a world class manager (or even close to that) to improve upon Southgate. As for England needing a bit more luck, they could hardly have asked for any more in the last two tournaments - weak draws and playing most of their games at Wembley during the Euros - is plenty. He still couldn't get it done.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You would hardly need a world class manager (or even close to that) to improve upon Southgate.
Yet England have had better managers than Southgate in the past with similarly talented pools of players to pick from and none of them got as close to actually winning stuff.
As for England needing a bit more luck, they could hardly have asked for any more in the last two tournaments - weak draws and playing most of their games at Wembley during the Euros - is plenty. He still couldn't get it done.
And what if that luck holds up in Qatar as well? Winning international tournaments is more down to luck than anything else

Flexdegea

Yes he can. He's still a young manager and the only way taking the england job 1 month before the world cup - that means he's only going to work with the player for like 5 days next month and then another week before the start of the WC btw - would help his reputation is if he wins it - which is a long shot regardless of how good a manager he is or how good a job he does

Guys like Pochettino generally want to keep managing clubs, not national teams

It's this absurdity that seemingly Southgate - the guy who went closest than any other in 50 years to winning england an actual trophy - is the reason why england won't win the WC - as if another guy would surely do it - that i'm pointing out here.

If england was to replace Southgate, they should have done so right after the euro final. Even that would have been iffy given the new manager would only have had a year and like 6 international breaks to figure things out

And southgate is certainly not doing a bad job

I like what you are doing, and I 100% want him to stay on, so let's hope they don't see sense and sack him,

But you defo tongue in cheek with the hyping of him now, you'd think he has actually been successful :lol:

Don't think folk think they win the lot, they just know he going to tank this tournament and rather another coach get a chance. Long 4 year wait to go crashing out early

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I’m really looking forward to the World Cup now.

I wonder is this what it was like from the outside looking in at Utd under Ole? Like you know it was terrible yet somehow they aren’t doing anything about it and it’s going to bring you great joy?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Carlo is at Real Madrid, no chance of him leaving them, and Mancini.....didn't he just beat us last night, why would he leave his home nation??

This is the issue, it is unbelievably easy to just say, "Sack Southgate, he has to go!!", it is a heck of a lot harder to actually put forward realistic names as his possible replacement....
Conte's character makes it almost impossible for him to hold a job for long, Carlo had already declared that after Real he would probably retire, international football is the half way house for that while Mancini isn't very liked in Italy having been unable to qualify for the WC. They probably haven't sacked him for lack of funds.

What you're taking in account is that international football is not that hard and that Southgate is really really shit. There are so many managers available who are better then Southgate and would jump at the chance of managing England. I am referring to the likes of Low, Setien, Benitez and Tedesco. I dare to say that even the likes of Big Sam are better managers then Southgate.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yet England have had better managers than Southgate in the past with similarly talented pools of players to pick from and none of them got as close to actually winning stuff.

And what if that luck holds up in Qatar as well? Winning international tournaments is more down to luck than anything else
Unless Southgate is like the girl from Deadpool, I wouldn't continue employing him because he's lucky. Luck has a habif of running out, you know.

CarbonStoolBites

Honestly I think he's got an old school 442 team but just hasn't realised yet. If you take Maddison in the squad as well then you can always flex to a 4231 when it suits.

Pickford
Sterling Rice Bellingham Grealish
Kane Toney/Rashford

Alternative:
Pickford
Rice Phillips
Sancho Maddison/Grealish Grealish/Rashford/Sterling
Kane
Looking at these 2 potential XI’s and people are calling it a “golden generation”?
That defense is terrible, this is like the 2010 team with a slightly better midfield, worse defense and Toney as the 2022 version of Emil Heskey.
If Southgate makes the SF’s again with that side he deserves a lifetime contract.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Looking at these 2 potential XI’s and people are calling it a “golden generation”?
That defense is terrible, this is like the 2010 team with a slightly better midfield, worse defense and Toney as the 2022 version of Emil Heskey.
If Southgate makes the SF’s again with that side he deserves a lifetime contract.
There's no fecking way he'll make it to the semis, might struggle to get out of the group the way he's going. That England team is decent but not top class. But there aren't exactly any national teams with a bullet proof XI right now, that Italy team contained some exceedingly average players last night too. He has a top 5 squad if they were all playing well, they should be threatening the top teams at least but he's a fatalistic ballbag who brings on DMs or CBs when he needs a goal FFS.

When the strength of a team is its attack you shouldn't be packing it with defenders. He thinks he's Guardiola but he's basically the exact opposite. The idea that with all the forward options he has he can't even work out how to score a goal is fecking ridiculous. I'm not saying they're all great players but he has a host of good ones and a world class forward and yet no goals. He's appalling.

Varane around town

England's group is so easy that even Southgate couldn't make a mess of it.

Very easy to see England making a mess of the R16, which will almost certainly be against the Netherlands or Senegal, in which case that'll be the end of Southgate. If England get to the QFs then I reckon the geezers at the FA won't replace him and we'll stuck in the cycle for another 2 years.

dinostar77

If Conte leaves spurs it will be to go back to juventus if they sack allegri.

CarbonStoolBites

I genuinely think Trent should be one of the first names on the team sheet.
We all know he can’t defend, but his delivery and inventive passing is truly exceptional, both from open play and from set pieces, he is special in that regard.
Southgate is a dino but he could’ve experimented with formations and set ups.

A 4-4-2 that morphs into a 4-3-3 ala United vs Chelsea in 2008 CL final for example.
Reece James at RB, Trent in the “Hargreaves” role on the right of the midfield with Kane and Sterling/Rashford up top and Foden in the “Ronaldo” role on the left.
Rice and Bellingham in the middle, could’ve been interesting I reckon.

Last edited: