Spurs 2022-2023 thread | Bentancur out for the rest of the season

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I believe we are building a team that could.
I agree. Conte is so casually brilliant at building a squad and team. You’ll finish closer to the league winners than anyone expects.

Exceptional pair of windows. If you start well I think you’ll push for the title. Liverpool and City are so good.you’ll Finish closer to them than anyone else.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
The thing is, people can look at the names signed and think they're not that impressive or whatever but they are the pieces that Conte wants and that is what should concern opposing fans. He's not in this game for style points, all he demands are players who can carry out what he asks of them. Perisic, Bissouma and Richarlison are all Conte players to an absolute tee - physical, tenacious and tactically astute. As for Richarlison specifically, his versatility will be a massive benefit to us and we finally now have a player who can legitimately deputise for or play alongside Kane.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So did some Utd & Chelsea fans last summer. ;)

I'll give you your due mate, your sticking your neck out there. Can't say I wish you well though. :wenger:

The thing is, people can look at the names signed and think they're not that impressive or whatever but they are the pieces that Conte wants and that is what should concern opposing fans. He's not in this game for style points, all he demands are players who can carry out what he asks of them. Perisic, Bissouma and Richarlison are all Conte players to an absolute tee - physical, tenacious and tactically astute. As for Richarlison specifically, his versatility will be a massive benefit to us and we finally now have a player who can legitimately deputise for or play alongside Kane.
So you are saying be afraid... be very afraid? :)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Remains to be seen. You don't do that with Perisic , Richy and cast offs like Lenglet. You would certainly challenge United and Arsenal but that's about it.

GMoore23

So firstly conte football is poor, secondly say he wins a title then pisses off like usual then what? He isn’t a united manager
Since when is Conte's football poor. I never get this general consensus of him. His teams always score loads of goals and are fantastic on the counter. I've always enjoyed watching his best sides.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Think that looks like a high 70s (75+) point squad and with Conte at the helm they may push into the 80s.

At this moment in time I'd say they are top 4 for sure (probably 3rd) and it will take significant investment from Chelsea/ United to catch up.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Spurs already confirming their top four spot next season?
Way too much of a leap to make before we've seen (a) what business everyone will do and (b) anyone kick a ball yet this season.

Only City and Liverpool can feel really confident of a top four place IMO. They are the only 2 sides who can claim to be a level above the rest.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Way too much of a leap to make before we've seen (a) what business everyone will do and (b) anyone kick a ball yet this season.

Only City and Liverpool can feel really confident of a top four place IMO. They are the only 2 sides who can claim to be a level above the rest.
Id be pretty confident that Spurs will finish with more points than they did last season (71) due to their new arrivals and the fact Conte will be there for the complete season so adding just 4 more (75) would mean they would have enough to finish at least 3rd in 3 of the past 4 seasons (18/19, 19/20, 21/22) and 2nd in one (20/21).

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't finish third (at this moment in time) unless Chelsea / United start making some serious signings.

Flexdegea

Id be pretty confident that Spurs will finish with more points than they did last season (71) due to their new arrivals and the fact Conte will be there for the complete season so adding just 4 more (75) would mean they would have enough to finish at least 3rd in 3 of the past 4 seasons (18/19, 19/20, 21/22) and 2nd in one (20/21).

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't finish third (at this moment in time) unless Chelsea / United start making some serious signings.

He did say they've business to do, why I'm not sure why the hype is so strong with spurs at the moment.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He did say they've business to do, why I'm not sure why the hype is so strong with spurs at the moment.
Yeah they for sure have business to do, a lot of it.

I'm not really "hyping" up Spurs as commenting on the fact that they most likely are going to be better than last season so even a (relatively small) points increase would see them in the top 3 for the past 4 seasons in a row.

I think most just value the actual business done by Spurs over the theoretical business that could be done by Chelsea and United, a bird in the bush and all that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah they for sure have business to do, a lot of it.

I'm not really "hyping" up Spurs as commenting on the fact that they most likely are going to be better than last season so even a (relatively small) points increase would see them in the top 3 for the past 4 seasons in a row.
I just see the same types of predictions happen every season and it never works out how many think it will. If Spurs were coming off a season where they'd been mightily impressive that would be something, but they weren't. They were simply the best (marginally) of a very, very mediocre group of teams fighting for fourth. That's all.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
If Spurs were coming off a season where they'd been mightily impressive that would be something, but they weren't. They were simply the best (marginally) of a very, very mediocre group of teams fighting for fourth. That's all.
Well yeah but of those very, very mediocre teams they (probably) have the best manager and have done their (Good IMO) business early.

Not to mention the fact that Conte wasnt even appointed till November.

Points totals since Contes appointment (28 Games):

1. Manchester City – 73 points
2. Liverpool – 70 points
3. Tottenham – 56 points
4. Arsenal – 52 points
5. Chelsea – 49 points
6. Newcastle United – 45 points
7. Manchester United – 41 points
8. Leicester City – 38 points

They nearly definitely aren't going to challenge the top 2 but the chasing pack have a lot to do because I don't see many reasons why they would be worse than last season.

Wilt

Well yeah but of those very, very mediocre teams they (probably) have the best manager and have done their (Good IMO) business early.

2. Liverpool – 70 points
3. Tottenham – 56 points
4. Arsenal – 52 points
5. Chelsea – 49 points

They nearly definitely aren't going to challenge the top 2 but the chasing pack have a lot to do because I don't see many reasons why they would be worse than last season.
Interesting Spurs averaged 2 points per game under Conte… if they maintain that average next season they’re certainties for top 4.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

2. Liverpool – 70 points
3. Tottenham – 56 points
4. Arsenal – 52 points
5. Chelsea – 49 points

I don't think they will be worse than last season either. I'd just prefer to see everyone's hand first before claiming anybody is nailed on.

Any one of United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs could stumble on a formula that really works this season, and equally any one of them could struggle too, for a variety of reasons.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Interesting Spurs averaged 2 points per game under Conte… if they maintain that average next season they’re certainties for top 4.
Unless there is another freak season where 4 other teams hit 78+ points (The average points total to get 4th is something like 71 but Arsenal have the highest 4th place points total for the 13/14 season with 79 so it can get higher) I think they should probably be pretty safe.

Chipper

Adulterer.

Well since Conte arrived they averaged bang on 2 points a game so a repeat of that for the duration of the season would see them get 76. They did have a tough fixture list at the start though under Nuno, with Liverpool being the only team from what would go on to be the top 7 that they didn't face in their first 10 matches. Conte had a relatively decent set of fixtures but of course still had to play against that lot again.

Finished the season well too after 3 league losses in a row in Jan/Feb. 35 points from their last 16 for 2.19 points a game. If they could continue in that vein of form it would be 83 for the season. Not the hardest run-in but they won at the Etihad, did well at Anfield, beat Arsenal in that big derby and were scoring plenty, 41 goals in the last 16.

They've got some signings in and will have a full pre-season with Conte like you said.

Looking promising for them I'd say. I wouldn't be that surprised if they were 4th again rather than top 3 but there's a lot for them to be positive about right now.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Top 4 won't change next season. Us and Arsenal are going to have to fight for the EL I feel to get back into the CL.

Wilt

Unless there is another freak season where 4 other teams hit 78+ points (The average points total to get 4th is something like 71 but Arsenal have the highest 4th place points total for the 13/14 season with 79 so it can get higher) I think they should probably be pretty safe.
Wasn’t aware of that, but yes around 76 points should be safe

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Still think it will be a decent fight. Arsenal lost 13 games last season for instance and still got to 69 points. If we can continue to improve the squad, turn a couple of those defeats into draws / victories then you would be talking about mid 70 points for Arsenal as well.

1 thing that either didn't have in the 2nd part of the season last season is a European run. With that in mind you'd certainly say Spurs being in the Champions League gives them a more difficult prospect than Arsenal being in the Europa League, so Arsenal you should say have a better chance at rotating the squad certainly in the group stages anyway.

After saying all that though, I still do agree with you, the current top 4 are the favourites for top 4 again. It's up to the likes of us & Utd to up our game and get back in the reckoning.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Still think it will be a decent fight. Arsenal lost 13 games last season for instance and still got to 69 points. If we can continue to improve the squad, turn a couple of those defeats into draws / victories then you would be talking about mid 70 points for Arsenal as well.

1 thing that either didn't have in the 2nd part of the season last season is a European run. With that in mind you'd certainly say Spurs being in the Champions League gives them a more difficult prospect than Arsenal being in the Europa League, so Arsenal you should say have a better chance at rotating the squad certainly in the group stages anyway.

After saying all that though, I still do agree with you, the current top 4 are the favourites for top 4 again. It's up to the likes of us & Utd to up our game and get back in the reckoning.
Arsenal still a little behind Spurs for me, think Spurs have a better attacking force, mostly due to Kane and Son and Conte is a genuine world class manager whereas Arteta still in that mid to good tier.

Having said that I dont see Spurs challenging City or Pool, but will be in that next group with Chelsea and maybe Arsenal or United if either team can step up to put pressure on those 2.

I like Bissouma and Richarlison, and they are clear upgrades on Winks and Bergwyn, but I dont see it as enough to push them to a level equal with Pool and City.

Red Royal

First time for a long time I think we are odds on to finish below the top 4 and Spurs in the top 4. Unless something dramatic happens in transfer window (in addition to FdJ) we may be quite a way behind Spurs who have done great early business.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

2. Liverpool – 70 points
3. Tottenham – 56 points
4. Arsenal – 52 points
5. Chelsea – 49 points

You also have to consider conte took a squad which struggled to understand what to do in foot ball match into top 4.

Conte now added players that will improve their style of play especially wing backs and midfielder better than all of them played last season for spurs. Also add richarlison into the mix they strengthened further.

Now conte has pre-season with the squad and players added to the squad indicate one thing they will surely get TEN more points than last season minimum.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal still a little behind Spurs for me, think Spurs have a better attacking force, mostly due to Kane and Son and Conte is a genuine world class manager whereas Arteta still in that mid to good tier.

Having said that I dont see Spurs challenging City or Pool, but will be in that next group with Chelsea and maybe Arsenal or United if either team can step up to put pressure on those 2.

I like Bissouma and Richarlison, and they are clear upgrades on Winks and Bergwyn, but I dont see it as enough to push them to a level equal with Pool and City.
I can't disagree with you. Think Spurs team is being built for Conte for the here and now, which is fair enough, they want to get the best out of having Conte, & having Kane & Son at their absolute peak.

Arsenal's team seems to being built to try and peak in a couple of years. I think theyve added a bit of experience in Jesus, and also the profile of players they've bid for or are most linked to, (Raphinha, Martinez and Tielemens), are all 24-26, so more experienced than they targeted last summer but still young enough to hit their peak and grow with the younger players.

Will be interesting certainly. If Spurs, Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal can all improve, perhaps they can take more points from Liverpool & City which means it won't be a 90+ point champion this season, perhaps giving an opening to someone like Spurs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I can't disagree with you. Think Spurs team is being built for Conte for the here and now, which is fair enough, they want to get the best out of having Conte, & having Kane & Son at their absolute peak.

Arsenal's team seems to being built to try and peak in a couple of years. I think theyve added a bit of experience in Jesus, and also the profile of players they've bid for or are most linked to, (Raphinha, Martinez and Tielemens), are all 24-26, so more experienced than they targeted last summer but still young enough to hit their peak and grow with the younger players.

Will be interesting certainly. If Spurs, Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal can all improve, perhaps they can take more points from Liverpool & City which means it won't be a 90+ point champion this season, perhaps giving an opening to someone like Spurs.
Not sure what the difference is here between the players Spurs are signing and Arsenal - apart from Perisic the players coming in so far have been aged 25 with possibly Spence coming in soon (22). We have a relatively young squad and are bringing in quality players with many years ahead of them.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
You also have to consider conte took a squad which struggled to understand what to do in foot ball match into top 4.

Conte now added players that will improve their style of play especially wing backs and midfielder better than all of them played last season for spurs. Also add richarlison into the mix they strengthened further.

Now conte has pre-season with the squad and players added to the squad indicate one thing they will surely get TEN more points than last season minimum.
Yeah I agree and also think they will be closer to 80 points than 70 by the end of next season.

largelyworried

I can see Spurs knocking around with Liverpool and City near the top for the first 15 to 20 games or so. However I think they're relying heavily on City and Liverpool to have bad seasons to imagine they'll be up there by the end of the season. While Spurs have bought well so far and have some decent options in the squad, man for man they're still far behind both those two other teams in terms of personnel.

And while Conte is a great manager, its not like Klopp and Pep are a couple of chumps. If you gave Klopp, Pep and Conte equally good squads, I still wouldn't be confident that Conte would come out on top over a season, so I certainly don't see him overtaking them with an inferior one. If the stars align and Liverpool and City both melt down, maybe, but I think top 4 is the most likely outcome for them.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure what the difference is here between the players Spurs are signing and Arsenal - apart from Perisic the players coming in so far have been aged 25 with possibly Spence coming in soon (22). We have a relatively young squad and are bringing in quality players with many years ahead of them.
I think what i mean is that the Spurs team are more ready than Arsenal already in terms of the experience and quality of the squad.
Lloris, Dier, Lenglet, Doherty, Davies, Perisic, Hojberg, Kane, Son, Moura are all 27+. Sanchez, Reguillon, Bentancur, Bissouma, Richarlison are all 25+.

Arsenal are trying to add experience though, and are targeting players in that 24-26 age bracket to do so.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think what i mean is that the Spurs team are more ready than Arsenal already in terms of the experience and quality of the squad.
Lloris, Dier, Lenglet, Doherty, Davies, Perisic, Hojberg, Kane, Son, Moura are all 27+. Sanchez, Reguillon, Bentancur, Bissouma, Richarlison are all 25+.

Arsenal are trying to add experience though, and are targeting players in that 24-26 age bracket to do so.
Hojberg and Sanchez are both 26, all those you put at 25+ are actually 25. Our squad isn't that much older than Arsenal's.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Hojberg and Sanchez are both 26, all those you put at 25+ are actually 25. Our squad isn't that much older than Arsenal's.
Apologies, Hojberg will be 27 by the time the season starts, Sanchez I meant to put in the 25+.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
25/26 does not make a huge difference but the spine of your team is the "here and now" Lloris-Kane-Son and Conte needs to get something this year or next. After that you will definitely have a good young group of players but you will need to sign 2 WC players as i don't see who could develop to become the main attraction. Romero maybe ?

Chairman Steve

That replies thread to that original tweet is astounding. There’s Spurs fans in there that have done some Olympic gold medal mental gymnastics and somehow arrived at the conclusion that ‘tight bastard’ is anti-semitic, and not the simple, base level banter fact of a Premier League team sloshing in money flying on a budget flight.

This coming from the fanbase that yells ‘YID ARMY’ every fecking match.

tomaldinho1

2. Liverpool – 70 points
3. Tottenham – 56 points
4. Arsenal – 52 points
5. Chelsea – 49 points

I do think they rode their luck a lot last season and had some really woeful games that they shouldn’t have come away with points from. I’m not sure how good they’ll be - I think that style of football will always be effective and is probably their safest bet of getting top four but it won’t win the title (or get close to it in my opinion) and it’s not usually very effective in the CL either.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Spurs already confirming their top four spot next season?
Conte gets the transfer window trophy already? Will celebrate it like a madman?

Didn't Utd win that trophy last year?