Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I get all that. He's earned a lot of leeway (I still have great respect for him unceremoniously dumping redknapp on his arse).

What I don't get is the unquestionable reverence for him. This summer is clearly more than "making a mistake" and more in "pooling the wool over the eyes" territory, yet lots of spurs fans were performing strong mental gymnastics to convince themselves that wasn't the case, rather than asking fair critical questions. By the end of the window it was so bad, I reckon a lot of spurs fans would have considered the window a success if you had signed Grealish. No window is a succes if all you sign is jack fecking Grealish. And you didn't even get that.
I would have loved signings but at the end of the day every team bar Liverpool struggled, I have seen us spunk millions on shit, I’m glad we didn’t sign anyone if they weren’t going to improve us. The transfer window and the media warps people’s idea of what’s important and just wants signings for the sake of signings. Look at the window in perspective and to do that we need at least 5-10 games. We have a settled squad, no one being linked away, no unrest I’m content that we can compete this season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Can I ask how long have you been following football? I’m honestly not trying to sound like a dick, but take a look at where we as a club were prior to 2001. Then look at the other teams like Leeds, Everton, West Ham, Villa, Newcastle who all got bought over. When you look at then and now other owners have done a hell of a lot worse than Levy, I fact 3 relatively big clubs have been relegated. Don’t get me wrong, Levy has made mistakes, but considering he isn’t a sugar daddy and is looking to make a profit the guy has done a great job. I don’t idolise him but I respect how far he has brought us on.
He should have spent something over the summer, though. At the very least he could have met Villa's asking price for Grealish, if only to appease his manager and the fans.

Has he spoken about the lack of spending over the summer at all?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He should have spent something over the summer, though. At the very least he could have met Villa's asking price for Grealish, if only to appease his manager and the fans.

He did meet the asking price though then they backed off and decided not to sell. Not much he could do about that. Aside from that though yes he most definitely should have signed at least one player. No statement yet on lack of signings either - can't say the club have covered themselves in glory in the past few weeks.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Levy very rarely speaks unless at a fan forum event. Although he needs to now the completion of the stadium has been a balls up and the lack of information until the last minute was not his finest hour, and something more concrete needs to be said.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He did meet the asking price though then they backed off and decided not to sell. Not much he could do about that. Aside from that though yes he most definitely should have signed at least one player. No statement yet on lack of signings either - can't say the club have covered themselves in glory in the past few weeks.
I had no idea. No one tells me anything.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I would have loved signings but at the end of the day every team bar Liverpool struggled, I have seen us spunk millions on shit, I’m glad we didn’t sign anyone if they weren’t going to improve us. The transfer window and the media warps people’s idea of what’s important and just wants signings for the sake of signings. Look at the window in perspective and to do that we need at least 5-10 games. We have a settled squad, no one being linked away, no unrest I’m content that we can compete this season.
See, it's posts like this that are just nonsense as far as I'm concerned. We had a terrible window, of course we could have signed players to improve us (Look at our current midfield options, look at our lack of depth FFS) and just because we've had rubbish buys in the past, doesn't mean you straight up decide to stop getting involved. It's fine to say it isn't the end of the world (you would be right) and it's totally fair to say 'Look, Levy has done great work for us' but blindly attempting to justify it when we've obviously had a crap transfer window is just silliness.

Chelsea brought in Kovacic, Jorginho and a replacement keeper. Liverpool (like you say) did brilliantly, United 'struggled' but still brought in a potentially key midfielder and a young talent as depth at RB, and Arsenal brought in one of Serie A's most impressive midfielders last season, and a few other promising players. We had the worst window of the top six, failing to deal with any of our issues concerning depth, and failing to bring in anybody to add proper cover for Dembele who is clearly on the decline. Just admit that rather than attempting to justify Levy's failures. Even City (who ripped the league to shreds) brought in one of the leagues best wide players.

We're not Barcelona or Real Madrid, we don't have a perfect squad which will only be improved by a properly world class player. We finished third in the league, went limply out to the first good side we played in the FA cup, and exited the CL in the first knockout round. This mentality of 'nobody could improve us' is utter nonsense, we have plenty of areas to improve in as a team and standing still is a really risky thing to do with the current competitive nature of the top four. Like I said, we finished third last season and Liverpool and Chelsea (the two behind us) both improved far more than we did. That doesn't worry you at all?

Yes we'll compete, we still have very good players and a very good manager. The same old weaknesses will be present though, or potentially even worsen this year with a number of players not really looking fit, and again it will likely cost us. Just being happy with 'competing' is an attitude which will lead you to inevitably falling behind clubs who actually want to win. A couple of key injuries in this team and we're utterly screwed, look at the way we have rushed players back for the start of the season. We had a really bad transfer window and if the club genuinely couldn't find anybody to add anything to this squad then that's incompetency, we have very clear deficiencies which rear their head every single season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Levy very rarely speaks unless at a fan forum event. Although he needs to now the completion of the stadium has been a balls up and the lack of information until the last minute was not his finest hour, and something more concrete needs to be said.
We can't get Jose or Woody to shut up, or Pogba for that matter.

Leak after shameful leak. This would never have happened when Fergie was stearing the ship.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We can't get Jose or Woody to shut up, or Pogba for that matter.

Leak after shameful leak. This would never have happened with Fergie stearing the ship.
Time have changed massively since Fergie I’m afraid and it’s agents that are the root of the problem. As for Jose he is just Jose, he loves the siege mentality and it either works and wins or it back fires horribly.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I tend to agree with @InLevyITrust that overall Levy has taken Spurs a long, long way from the late 90’s early 00’s. With this stadium they’re going to the next level in financial terms, it’s going to be a revenue generator for sure (when it’s done) and it’ll add to the overall attractiveness for potential signings. The debt is an aside to this though.

Plus he’s been extremely shrewd/lucky in the transfer market, making killings off the likes of Bale, Modric, Berbatov etc. which have given him the impetus to get this stadium off the ground.

The questions I’d ask is what’s his end game? Is he in it for Spurs and the football side of it, will he make it his mission to just keep it a profitable business per Kroenkes apparent model, or is his long game to have developed a top four side along with a world class stadium and then package it up and sell it?

I’d be worried if he found a buyer in Usmanov. Couple of billion to buy up the club, leaving another billion into the squad and you’re away.

Or it could all unravel this this season with the way there’s been no squad supplementing and the stadium debt will put prospective buyers off.

Man, it’s interesting times down the lane.

JMack1234

I must be annoying for Spurs fans because obviously they want to move to their new stadium. However, surely this will be remembered as a minor inconvenience? It looks an amazing stadium and it's built in the same place as the old one which would be important to me. That said, it would worry me that the stadium might not be finished for a while yet, could be November time.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I tend to agree with @InLevyITrust that overall Levy has taken Spurs a long, long way from the late 90’s early 00’s. With this stadium they’re going to the next level in financial terms, it’s going to be a revenue generator for sure (when it’s done) and it’ll add to the overall attractiveness for potential signings. The debt is an aside to this though.

Plus he’s been extremely shrewd/lucky in the transfer market, making killings off the likes of Bale, Modric, Berbatov etc. which have given him the impetus to get this stadium off the ground.

The questions I’d ask is what’s his end game? Is he in it for Spurs and the football side of it, will he make it his mission to just keep it a profitable business per Kroenkes apparent model, or is his long game to have developed a top four side along with a world class stadium and then package it up and sell it?

I’d be worried if he found a buyer in Usmanov. Couple of billion to buy up the club, leaving another billion into the squad and you’re away.

Or it could all unravel this this season with the way there’s been no squad supplementing and the stadium debt will put prospective buyers off.

Man, it’s interesting times down the lane.

No. He's a businessman. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and certainly better than having a complete parasite in charge, but let's not romanticize Daniel Levy. This whole 'He's a Spurs fan' schtick from some of our fanbase is desperate at best, the sporting side of the club is only relevant to him if it's impacting upon revenue. End game is unclear, but it's pretty obvious he wants to make us a profitable outfit, potentially in order to get a decent sale. That's mostly a good thing of course, it's far, far better than an asset stripper who has no interest in building up the club, but it's definitely arguable that with Levy in charge there's a ceiling. He will never be one to prioritise trophies over finances, and at the moment it seems like he's point blank refusing to involve himself in the current market due to the whole 'no value' argument.

It is interesting, indeed. I agree that we're in a precarious position and it could go a few ways, hence why I felt that a bit of investment this summer to tighten up the squad would have been wise. Getting us properly prepared for a top four challenge was important, and we're far from in top shape now, thus actually taking a significant risk this season. I think Levy decided that the squad is still good enough for top four under a manager like Pochettino, and that it wasn't worth spending the kind of money players cost in 2018 for little reward.

Having us as a top four side with a brilliant stadium who are relatively self-sufficient and able to operate on a low net spend is Levy's dream, I think. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, certainly it's a massive improvement on the Spurs of old, but fans are dreamers and want glory. Nobody is content just hovering beneath the top spots, or mingling with the European elite but never really getting far. When you're relatively close, as we are now, understandably fans want someone who is prepared to at least show that he wants to lead us all the way.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Not been following this, but I thought I read a couple months back that Premier League teams have to register a home stadium, and once done it can't be changed for that season. So why's there talks about Spurs' stadium being ready for Christmas when they've already played at Wembley? Wouldn't they have to play there all season now?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Are they waiting up until they win something important?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Villa got taken over, lots of people thought it wouldn't impact the Grealish sale as they still had to meet regulations, but it seemingly did and the previous agreement was canned.
Steve Bruce has already stated if Spurs acted earlier they would have got Grealish, why are you dishing up shite for breakfast?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Spurs didn’t sign anyone because they need the money for unseen changes to the stadium
Yeah, it certainly looks that way. They don't even know how much it will cost them yet through additional construction/testing work, lost revenue from the delayed opening and having to pay to use other grounds in the meantime. Having that kind of potentially significant financial risk on the books will worry the board and I can understand why they decided to limit any expenditure in the summer.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not been following this, but I thought I read a couple months back that Premier League teams have to register a home stadium, and once done it can't be changed for that season. So why's there talks about Spurs' stadium being ready for Christmas when they've already played at Wembley? Wouldn't they have to play there all season now?
Spurs got a special permission, on the premise that it would be only a few games.

Doubt they would have gotten it if the FA had known it could be half a season.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Spurs got a special permission, on the premise that it would be only a few games.

Doubt they would have gotten it if the FA had known it could be half a season.
Which was a joke in itself.

Didn't blackpool just play their X games away from home a few years back to get past this?

One rule for spurs

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Chelsea brought in Kovacic, Jorginho and a replacement keeper. Liverpool (like you say) did brilliantly, United 'struggled' but still brought in a potentially key midfielder and a young talent as depth at RB, and Arsenal brought in one of Serie A's most impressive midfielders last season, and a few other promising players. We had the worst window of the top six, failing to deal with any of our issues concerning depth, and failing to bring in anybody to add proper cover for Dembele who is clearly on the decline. Just admit that rather than attempting to justify Levy's failures. Even City (who ripped the league to shreds) brought in one of the leagues best wide players.

We're not Barcelona or Real Madrid, we don't have a perfect squad which will only be improved by a properly world class player. We finished third in the league, went limply out to the first good side we played in the FA cup, and exited the CL in the first knockout round. This mentality of 'nobody could improve us' is utter nonsense, we have plenty of areas to improve in as a team and standing still is a really risky thing to do with the current competitive nature of the top four. Like I said, we finished third last season and Liverpool and Chelsea (the two behind us) both improved far more than we did. That doesn't worry you at all?

I think Spurs and us had a bit of a dud xfer window because of the martial - Alderweireld stand off. Jose wanted Alderweireld, didnt want Martial, Woody didnt want to sell Martial and possibly strengthen a prem team. Spurs were not going to come to the table with Alderweireld unless we were willing to come to the table with Martial. Which we were not going to do as Woody sees him as an investment, despite Jose wanting him gone.

But as to their midfield, it is head scratching, Dembele is struggling with long term injuries, Wanyama is struggling with knee injuries, Winks is a bit of a sick note. That leaves Dier, a limited footballer but as far as a DM destroyer goes he does fine and Sissoko who is a great athlete, mobile, physical, great engine. He is just a crap footballer, hasnt got a great shot, doesnt really have an eye for a pass, isnt going to dribble by three people, is ok defensively I guess but Wanyama and Dier are better, Spurs dont need more defensive midfielders, they need some dynamism in there. Surely they could of switched attention to someone else when they realised Villa were not going to sell Grealish, you cant tell me that in all the leagues across Europe they could not find an upgrade on Sissoko.

I feel coming windows Spurs will need some serious investment, Dembele, Wanyama, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Rose will all go for varying reasons I think.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Steve Bruce has already stated if Spurs acted earlier they would have got Grealish, why are you dishing up shite for breakfast?
What? That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not one of the people who was absolutely adamant that it was a deal could only be done late, that Villa absolutely had to sell and would cave etc. Levy messed up the negotiations because he believed Villa would have to sell for cheap.

TheReligion

Abusive
So what's going on with the stadium? Gradually becoming a bit of a joke. That said, I don't think it will do Spurs any good playing at a new home stadium mid season.

redNATION

So what's going on with the stadium? Gradually becoming a bit of a joke. That said, I don't think it will do Spurs any good playing at a new home stadium mid season.
The architects and construction workers supposedly spent ages laughing at the proposed trophy 'hall' that it's caused a delay in everything.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
STILL WAITING FECKOT

a tragedy in one act​

Estragon sitting on a mound in an empty building site
Enter Vladimir
ESTRAGON: Let's go
VLADIMIR: We can't
ESTRAGON: Why not?
VLADIMIR: It's not been built
ESTRAGON: So we must wait?
VLADIMIR: They said by the shop
ESTRAGON: What is it?
VLADIMIR: I don't know. A Sainsburys
They move towards the shop
VLADIMIR: Perhaps it's not the season
ESTRAGON: It should have been built by now
VLADIMIR: They didn't say for sure it would
ESTRAGON: And if it isn't built?
VLADIMIR: We'll come back tomorrow
ESTRAGON: Possibly
VLADIMIR: And so on
ESTRAGON: You're sure it was today?
VLADIMIR: They said the summer. I think.
ESTRAGON: But what summer? And is it not now approaching Autumn?
VLADIMIR: (looking wildly about him, as though the date was inscribed in the landscape) it's
not possible​
ESTRAGON: or winter
Enter Levy holding a leash, on the end of which is Glaston who now enters himself
ESTRAGON: (gestures towards Levy) Maybe they know when it'll be finished
VLADIMIR: (to Levy) What time does the stadium open?
LEVY: Have you not done tormenting me with your accursed time! It's abominable!
When! When! One day, is that not enough for you, one day he went dumb,
one day I went blind, one day we'll go deaf, one day we were born,
one day we shall die, the same day, the same second, is that not enough
for you? They give birth astride of a grave, we made the quarters once
then to shite once more. Hey pig! (Levy looks panickingly towards Glaston) don't put on that hat!
Glaston puts on hat
GLASTON: Given the existence as uttered force in the public records of Harringey council
of a spurs stadium I'll take IS for Kane over might do for Lukakuakuakua if
taken to the cleaners for Lukakuakuakuas fee outside time without extension
from the heights of top four big four fourth placed trophy football American football...​
VLADIMIR: (over the droning of Glaston) I can't take much more of this.
ESTRAGON: Well? Shall we go?
VLADIMIR: Pull on your trousers
ESTRAGON: You want me to pull off my trousers?
VLADIMIR: Where is the noose?
Vladimir and Estragon hang themselves one after the other as Glaston continues on

CURTAIN​

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
STILL WAITING FECKOT

a tragedy in one act​

Estragon sitting on a mound in an empty building site
Enter Vladimir
ESTRAGON: Let's go
VLADIMIR: We can't
ESTRAGON: Why not?
VLADIMIR: It's not been built
ESTRAGON: So we must wait?
VLADIMIR: They said by the shop
ESTRAGON: What is it?
VLADIMIR: I don't know. A Sainsburys
They move towards the shop
VLADIMIR: Perhaps it's not the season
ESTRAGON: It should have been built by now
VLADIMIR: They didn't say for sure it would
ESTRAGON: And if it isn't built?
VLADIMIR: We'll come back tomorrow
ESTRAGON: Possibly
VLADIMIR: And so on
ESTRAGON: You're sure it was today?
VLADIMIR: They said the summer. I think.
ESTRAGON: But what summer? And is it not now approaching Autumn?
VLADIMIR: (looking wildly about him, as though the date was inscribed in the landscape) it's
not possible​
ESTRAGON: or winter
Enter Levy holding a leash, on the end of which is Glaston who now enters himself
ESTRAGON: (gestures towards Levy) Maybe they know when it'll be finished
VLADIMIR: (to Levy) What time does the stadium open?
LEVY: Have you not done tormenting me with your accursed time! It's abominable!
When! When! One day, is that not enough for you, one day he went dumb,
one day I went blind, one day we'll go deaf, one day we were born,
one day we shall die, the same day, the same second, is that not enough
for you? They give birth astride of a grave, we made the quarters once
then to shite once more. Hey pig! (Levy looks panickingly towards Glaston) don't put on that hat!
Glaston puts on hat
GLASTON: Given the existence as uttered force in the public records of Harringey council
of a spurs stadium I'll take IS for Kane over might do for Lukakuakuakua if
taken to the cleaners for Lukakuakuakuas fee outside time without extension
from the heights of top four big four fourth placed trophy football American football...​
VLADIMIR: (over the droning of Glaston) I can't take much more of this.
ESTRAGON: Well? Shall we go?
VLADIMIR: Pull on your trousers
ESTRAGON: You want me to pull off my trousers?
VLADIMIR: Where is the noose?
Vladimir and Estragon hang themselves one after the other as Glaston continues on

CURTAIN​
I regret clicking on that spoiler button

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I must be annoying for Spurs fans because obviously they want to move to their new stadium. However, surely this will be remembered as a minor inconvenience? It looks an amazing stadium and it's built in the same place as the old one which would be important to me. That said, it would worry me that the stadium might not be finished for a while yet, could be November time.
It's not just Spurs fans who find you annoying :p

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
1 billion pounds to build a stadium for a club that has played in the champions league 4 times in the last 25 years and won next to nothing and without owner funding. No wonder there is nothing left for the transfer budget. Building a stadium on so much debt is not going to end well just look at Arsenal. Have Spurs owners really not invested a dime in the club for this?

Moshe Dayan

Supports
Tottenham
Levy doesn't own Spurs - Joe Lewis owns Spurs. Levy is Joe Lewis's godson I think.
Enic owns Tottenham.

Joe Lewis owns 80% of the shares of Enic and Daniel Levy and his family own 20% there are a number of private individuals who own very small amounts of shares not even totalling 0.5%. Joe Lewis' main investment vehicle (The Tavistock group) is completely independent.

Moshe Dayan

Supports
Tottenham
1 billion pounds to build a stadium for a club that has played in the champions league 4 times in the last 25 years and won next to nothing and without owner funding. No wonder there is nothing left for the transfer budget. Building a stadium on so much debt is not going to end well just look at Arsenal. Have Spurs owners really not invested a dime in the club for this?
The 1 billion figure although never stated by the club includes not only the ground itself but the entire North London development project to include the college (which was built first) the hotel and around 400 flats (still to be built).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The 1 billion figure although never stated by the club includes not only the ground itself but the entire North London development project to include the college (which was built first) the hotel and around 400 flats (still to be built).
Don't be so sensible, that's much to sensible and not sensationalist enough.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
750 million is the cost for just the stadium that i'm seeing everywhere so 1 billion, whilst rounded up, isn't too far off the mark.