Spurs officially departed tonight

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Spurs did well. I'm liking the look of them. They might even have won it with a better finish from Kane.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This is a repeat of the previous two seasons in the CL. Madrid always start off slow and get going in the 2nd half of the season. They didnt even finish top of their group last season, and theyve already lost to Betis this season.

United and City would get a similar result at the Bernebau right now, but Madrid in knockout games is a completely different monster.

Ban

They had a good game all right but what does that arriving mean?

They're on the map or something like that?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Fair enough. Is Dortmund v Real last game of the group?

You should go through now, and if you can out similar performances together at Wembley, should give any team a decent game.
I believe so.

redIndianDevil

That is how you play against a superior attacking team away, you don't just park the bus and hoof everything out of sight for entire 90 minutes and then cry at the end about how the opposition played 3 central midfielders.

Ban

That is how you play against a superior attacking team away, you don't just park the bus and hoof everything out of sight for entire 90 minutes and then cry at the end about how the opposition played 3 central midfielders.
:lol:

Nadger

Supports
Spurs
Llorente was their best player by a mile(along with sanchez). Take him out and it's a 90 minutes siege to their box
We tried playing with 10 men last time at the Bernabeu and it didn’t end well, hence deciding to play with a full team this time I would imagine.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Didn't look one bit out of place at the Bernebau against the best team in the competition.

Take a bow.
They got a fortunate draw, is that all it takes? Even if that draw was away to Real Madrid

Kostur

海尔的老板
But it wasn't 6 it was 5. with 5 outright attacking players. There was nothing negative in that line up or in their actual performance.
6 when he threw Rose on. Vertonghen, Alder, Sanchez and Dier, then there're Aurier and Rose.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
They got a fortunate draw, is that all it takes? Even if that draw was away to Real Madrid
It wasn't fortunate - we took the lead, were denied a fairly clear-cut pen (Casemiro on Llorente) and on another night could have scored at least one other goal, maybe two.

Yes RM had their own missed chances to score, but overall a draw a fair result.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It wasn't fortunate - we took the lead, were denied a fairly clear-cut pen (Casemiro on Llorente) and on another night could have scored at least one other goal, maybe two.

Swap the order of that. But agree with you

Kostur

海尔的老板
Great so for 10 minutes. what about the vast majority of the game? Seems a silly statement in general
Hey, it's still 5 defenders then and a workhorse of Sissokho in the middle plus Llorente up front for, wait for it, long balls.

It's not a silly statement by any stretch, it's just that if people find adapting your tactics to a team a problem at our club (which many do) then they should probably find it perplexing at Spurs given how much credit Poch gets. I don't hold a grudge against the pragmatism so I don't really have a problem with it.

notcool

Supports
a
6 when he threw Rose on. Vertonghen, Alder, Sanchez and Dier, then there're Aurier and Rose.
If you don't count Rose as a midfielder, why are you counting Dier as a defender? Dier played in defence and Rose, when he came on, played in midfield.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If you don't count Rose as a midfielder, why are you counting Dier as a defender? Dier played in defence and Rose, when he came on, played in midfield.
Because when are we counting our Joneses or Lideloefs when they come on as 'midfielders'?

It's always branded as 'Jose throwing a fecking defender on', so was it under LVG, why should I count it any different for Spuds?

Oh, and iirc Dier plays more/played more as an actual CB for them than as a CDM, whereas Rose is an obvious fullback/wingback, still a defender.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
We really needed a few good European performance this season and this one was very good. Those complaining of negative tactics because of many 'defenders' didn't watch the game. We defended at times as we have to away to Real Madrid, but also committed men forward and tried to create chances ourselves. The last 10 minutes we tried to keep the 1-1, and we didn't rush or open ourselves up, but it wasn't a 'park the bus' performance. Very happy with a smart and good performance tonight.

Arrived or not, I don't know, - but was a very smart, solid and mature performance.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Don't get me wrong, this is a very good result but you made them sound like one of the best teams in Europe. A litte bit of restraint is all I'm saying.
Nah; but now a team that is a clear Champions League level side and not just there to be knocked into the EL.
Neither did Valencia or Betis who probably did just as well as Spurs in the past month. Defensively solid today but not much else, Kane and Eriksen weren't great.

We (Sporting) also divided the game at the Bernabeu last year, deserved a point and we were crap for the rest of the season.
I think there's an element of the underdog did good to the games you're mentioning where RM very probably didn't take their opponent seriously from the off and then found themselves in deep shit because of complacency. This game verses Spurs was billed as a big one and both sides would have wanted to put a marker down.

Spurs had a lot to prove and went out there and played like a proper team who felt like they deserved to be out there. I would think RM will give Spurs more respect in the return leg either upping their own game to a team who has now earned their respect.
A draw away in Madrid? Meh, we won.
But you lot arrived ages ago so that doesn't matter. ;)
They had a good game all right but what does that arriving mean?

They're on the map or something like that?
That they are a proper CL team now. Not yet contenders to the win the thing, but certainly a team who others will pay attention to now.

Boycott

Hey, it's still 5 defenders then and a workhorse of Sissokho in the middle plus Llorente up front for, wait for it, long balls.

It's not a silly statement by any stretch, it's just that if people find adapting your tactics to a team a problem at our club (which many do) then they should probably find it perplexing at Spurs given how much credit Poch gets. I don't hold a grudge against the pragmatism so I don't really have a problem with it.
Adapting your selection is just one facet. The intent in the performance is another. Sir Alex used to play certain players for certain games [Park, Fletcher, Phil Nev, O'Shea, Welbeck] but even in those games more often we had intent in the way we went forward. Some of those games were memorable displays.

We didn't just aimlessly hoof clearances or isolate our striker by design. Some games we were just very poor on the day but with Mourinho it happens so often in big away games that it's not unfair to conclude these performances are by design.

notcool

Supports
a
@Kostur
When they've put a defender on, haven't they mostly gone and played in defence? I see your point though. Dier's been playing in midfield this season, btw.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Because when are we counting our Joneses or Lideloefs when they come on as 'midfielders'?

It's always branded as 'Jose throwing a fecking defender on', so was it under LVG, why should I count it any different for Spuds?

Oh, and iirc Dier plays more/played more as an actual CB for them than as a CDM, whereas Rose is an obvious fullback/wingback, still a defender.
Tottenham had 2 losses and 1 draw against Liverpool last season. But they drew with Madrid so they would have played Liverpool off the park right??? :lol:

Comparing games with different teams and tactics is idiotic. You need a different skill set to play against different teams, it seems so obvious yet its completely ignored when it fits a narrative.

Kostur

海尔的老板
@Kostur
When they've put a defender on, haven't they mostly gone and played in defence? I see your point though. Dier's been playing in midfield this season, btw.
Think most of the time when Jose does that we either revert to 3 at the back (making it 5 at the back with the fullbacks) or just add it for the sake of height really.

To make myself clear here, I think Spuds played well tonight and they played smart too, the score could've gone either way but a draw away at Real is a great result. It's just the time span of couple of days between our and theirs match though, with the same type of adaptation to the game (and 'not playing the yernited way like we always used to wahey' shit) yet with many showing conflicting opinions on it.

Zen

What an insanely threadbare squad though....but what Poch has done is pretty immense really, because even that weakish depth has some belief in themselves.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Christ I didn’t know the score and assumed Spurs had done them 3-0 or something not drawn when I saw the thread title.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think there's an element of the underdog did good to the games you're mentioning where RM very probably didn't take their opponent seriously from the off and then found themselves in deep shit because of complacency.
That was Levante(Betis too but they didn't score). Already said this but this game was pretty much the 4th iteration of the same game(valencia-levante-betis-tottenham)

That they are a proper CL team now. Not yet contenders to the win the thing,
Why not. You need two things to win the CL: be a very good/great team, and luck. Lots of luck. Spurs have the first thing down

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

There was no fairly clean cut penalty incident at all, Casemiro for once won the ball only person who would claim otherwise is a Spurs supporter

Real were clearly the better side tonight and they weren’t even at their best, good result for Spurs all the same but hardly a statement that they’ve arrived in Europe (even their win over Dortmund is now looking more and more unimpressive than it was on the night)

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What an insanely threadbare squad though....but what Poch has done is pretty immense really, because even that weakish depth has some belief in themselves.
Threadbare due to injuries though. No team is going to look that deep with that many injuries.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There was no fairly clean cut penalty incident at all, Casemiro for once won the ball only person who would claim otherwise is a Spurs supporter
Real Madrid fan here. It was penalty from monday to saturday and twice on sunday. Granted, it wasn't clear live(neither was kroos')

Real were clearly the better side tonight and they weren’t even at their best, good result for Spurs all the same but hardly a statement that they’ve arrived in Europe (even their win over Dortmund is now looking more and more unimpressive than it was on the night)
First 15 minutes aside, spurs played with impressive maturity and were very smart. Understood the moments of the game and adapted accordingly, and well. Came in with a clear plan and executed it well. It was an impressive performance from them when you consider their age and inexperience. Just last season they were getting clowned at home by Monaco. They look ready this year, and will be a tough cookie for anyone in this competition

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

That's rubbish - the studio analysts thought it was pen also. A ref with more guts would have given it, but this one, in the Bernabeu, in front of massive numbers of RM supporters ... nah.

If RM weren't at their best, then neither were Spurs ... for starters we had maybe four first XI players missing from the starting line-up, whilst RM were much closer to full strength. And RM were playing at home, where they've won almost all of their CL games going back a long way ... but were stopped in their tracks by Spurs tonight.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Good result for them, had to do a lot of defending but that's to be expected at the Bernabeu when Real are going to have plenty of the ball - any team is going to struggle to dispossess a midfield diamond containing Modric, Kroos and Isco (and Marcelo joining in). Pochettino created a vertical gameplan hoping to carve out moments though rather than just sit back and attempt to soak up pressure and it worked, both sides probably had roughly the same amount of clear cut chances.

I agree with some saying that the knockout stages of the CL is when you can really tell if a team is legit as you do sometimes get a few surprise results in the group, whereas in the knockout stages the cream tends to rise to the top given the importance of every game. But this is an encouraging sign for them, particularly when they were missing Dembele, Wanyama, Alli and Davies.

Can only echo the praise of Davinson Sanchez, looks a quality player so far. Llorente put in a shift too and Sissoko was actually decent for once, seems like he only ever plays well on big occasions. I also thought despite the penalty Aurier didn't look too bad.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That was Levante(Betis too but they didn't score). Already said this but this game was pretty much the 4th iteration of the same game(valencia-levante-betis-tottenham)

Why not. You need two things to win the CL: be a very good/great team, and luck. Lots of luck. Spurs have the first thing down
We generally bunch potential winners on past performances, which is why it was Barca, RM and Munich as the three elite teams for a few years. Those sides reduced the luck element by generally being a cut above everyone else.

Luck is obviously a component, especially if you get placed on a weak-sided draw and all the big dogs knock each other out, but more often than not, luck runs out and those expected to get deep into the competition tend to do so more often than not.

Spurs have a lot to do to be seen as genuine contenders, same as all the English sides, imo.

Charlie Foley

Nah, even if your scenario happens, Spurs still have Apoel at home, whilst Dortmund have to play Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.
Yeah that would leave Dortmund on 9 and you on 7? With Spurs having a much easier game. The likelihood is you've done enough to qualify. Unless you get shit on in Dortmund, who then get something in Madrid. That also assumes you lose at home against Real.