Spurs officially departed tonight

Charles Miller

Dybala and Higuain can decide a game against any opposition in a good day. But when you play like Spurs you always have the control of the iniciative. If they play against Juventus 200 games, the current Spurs will be favorites every time.

Attacking football is a risk for sure. But defending is for the weak.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I was at the game and the referee changed after the half time. In the first half he was very fair, second half he gave everything to Juventus and I actually noticed this before Poch then came out to say that Juventus had hassled the ref at half time. Whatever Juventus did, it worked.
Didn't really notice it. Perhaps they were told of their ridiculous non-call on one of the most blatant and obvious penalties i've ever seen, that might have influenced them. The biggest mistake a ref can make is trying to make up for a mistake. If that's the case that ref should not be allowed in the CL again.
Mind, biggest mistake of the second half was still pro-spurs, somehow...

Have to say, Spurs had 20-25 minutes of real dominance in the first half in Turin, where they had juventus in real trouble and created 4 clear cut chances including a goal. In the second half, they had another 25 minutes of dominance of the ball and territorial, but with very little real attacking threat, the goal came from nowhere, almost by pure chance. The other 30-40 minutes juventus were well on top, and actually did more on those minutes than spurs. Second leg spurs dominated the first half, had a 15 minutes meltdown in the second, then the rest of the game they attacked but juventus looked well in control

Spurs created only a couple more chances overall over the two legs. While they dominated possession and territory, the tie came down to a few decisive moments and juventus were better in it

ti vu

Never understood the laughing. They lost to Juve, no shame, they gave it their best. Bottled it in some sense, yes, but Higuain and Dybala are world class and their defensive organisation saved them after the lead.

We would have lost against Juve in a more embarrassing fashion anyway. They would have picked Sevilla apart. We didn't even try
The point is the arrogance of some people when Tottenham was in comfortable position then ended up losing from it. That's being laughed at. It's not like people saying and laughing at Tottenham playing like a Championship team.

We on the other hand deserved the loss, and it's pathetic, embarrassing performance. Feel free to laugh as we deserved its coming. It doesn't mean it's not laughable how the Tot-Juve game ended.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We are bigger bottlers than them nowadays. we aren't even good enough to bottle something we never had.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We are bigger bottlers than them nowadays. we aren't even good enough to bottle something we never had.
Don't think we are bigger bottlers then, just worse. Which is a fair comment.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bottled our way to 2 bits of silverware in the last 12 months...
The point is the arrogance of some people when Tottenham was in comfortable position then ended up losing from it. That's being laughed at. It's not like people saying and laughing at Tottenham playing like a Championship team.

We on the other hand deserved the loss, and it's pathetic, embarrassing performance. Feel free to laugh as we deserved its coming. It doesn't mean it's not laughable how the Tot-Juve game ended.
Yes I think some are over complicating something that's actually quite simple.

Last edited:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Bottled our way to 2 bits of silverware in the last 12 months. ...
Champions of literally a loser's cup and a cup we used to laugh at when other clubs won it.

Let's face it, If this is all that Mourinho brings us he will have massively failed. We laugh at Wenger for only delivering Fa cups ffs.

Turkleton

Champions of literally a loser's cup and a cup we used to laugh at when other clubs won it.

Let's face it, If this is all that Mourinho brings us he will have massively failed. We laugh at Wenger for only delivering Fa cups ffs.
Even then we had easy draws.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Anyone laughing at "Only" winning one of the 3 domestic trophies available is some sort of entitled idiot though in fairness.

It's the way Arsenal seem happy only to be top 4 every year, for over a decade that gets them and Wenger the derision.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Wow.... snm.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mate this idea that only winners are always remembered is bollocks. In my lifetime Spurs have won a UEFA Cup, a few FA Cups and League Cups yet they're talked about as a nothing club with no history on here. I saw Ipswich under the great Bobby Robson win the UEFA Cup and more significantly Aston Villa winning the European Cup. No one talks about them winning what was a very prestigious competition. That Villa side is practically unheralded despite being the Kings of Europe. This is not ancient history. This was the 1980s.
1982 is a pretty long time ago in fairness.

People talk about Fergie and Wenger's heydays as being ages ago, so 36 years is quite some time.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
I was at the game and the referee changed after the half time. In the first half he was very fair, second half he gave everything to Juventus and I actually noticed this before Poch then came out to say that Juventus had hassled the ref at half time. Whatever Juventus did, it worked.
I was there too and if it was for the referee and his assistant you would have scored a last minute goal which was over 1 metre offside coming from a static pass which was easy to spot. That was a ridiculous mistake at this level it was clear from 50 mt away. During the second half they also made some mistakes on a couple of cards for us and on a ridiculous dive from Alli. In any case shitty referee happen it is part of the game tough luck but the fact that after such a game in which there were 2 huge mistakes in his favour Pochettino has had the audacity to complain and starting all these innuendos is a disgrace not for us but for you guys because a winning coach does not look for alibi. I had a very good opinion of him up to the last game.

Last edited:

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs went out because of football heritage :( Nothing Pochettino could do, unfair.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The problem with Spurs as I see it, and one of the reasons they always seem to “bottle it” in these situations, is that they’ve so often been generously and positively painted in the media, just for being mildly competitive of late, and by virtue of exceeding their previous expectations, that they’ve never really been encouraged to change or grow in any meaningful way.

They’ve enjoyed all the perks of being a feted top 6 media darling, with little to none of the reactionary scrutiny and constructive fallout the other big clubs have to deal with.

They’re judged to much lower standards (often with cause - as they are underdogs in many ways) so their victories are often over egged, and their failures dismissed, or excused in context. All while United are slated from pillar to post for only being second and just winning 3 major trophies in 2 years (and potentially 4 in 3)

So it’s easy to see why some could be lead to think that United are in perpetual decline, and Spurs in constant ascendancy, going solely off the media narratives surrounding them.

And ‘cos of this, they enter these types of games with an unearned arrogance, and a lack of drive to prove a point, or really kick on. Cos they’re constantly being told they’ve already kicked on, and are already up there with the best. So why actually win anything, ey?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Nail. Head. Bang on.
A good side are Spurs, but that's it, they need a spark to bring them to the next level, for me that comes from the manager, surely the players must want to kick on?!

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
The problem with Spurs as I see it, and one of the reasons they always seem to “bottle it” in these situations, is that they’ve so often been generously and positively painted in the media, just for being mildly competitive of late, and by virtue of exceeding their previous expectations, that they’ve never really been encouraged to change or grow in any meaningful way.

They’ve enjoyed all the perks of being a feted top 6 media darling, with little to none of the reactionary scrutiny and constructive fallout the other big clubs have to deal with.

They’re judged to much lower standards (often with cause - as they are underdogs in many ways) so their victories are often over egged, and their failures dismissed, or excused in context. All while United are slated from pillar to post for only being second and just winning 3 major trophies in 2 years (and potentially 4 in 3)

So it’s easy to see why some could be lead to think that United are in perpetual decline, and Spurs in constant ascendancy, going solely off the media narratives surrounding them.

And ‘cos of this, they enter these types of games with an unearned arrogance, and a lack of drive to prove a point, or really kick on. Cos they’re constantly being told they’ve already kicked on, and are already up there with the best. So why actually win anything, ey?
Good to hear from you Mockney. Agree with a lot of what you have to say.

I do definitely think that the media narrative gets to them. They live up to their expectations of playing nice footaball, but bottling it during matches with close odds.

I reckon with experience and keeping the core of their squad, IE Lloris, Sanchez, Dele, Erikssen, Son, Kane etc they will go far.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Or they just aren't as good as the media portray them? I do believe they would like to win trophies and actually think they was proper motivated in this semi, i just think Mourinho and his tactics as well as our players are a level above while also wanting it even more. I'm not sure Spurs would perform better if they was ridiculed by the media tbh, but something like that might influence a team more than you would think so, you never know.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I reckon with experience and keeping the core of their squad, IE Lloris, Sanchez, Dele, Erikssen, Son, Kane etc they will go far.
But what is “far”? They’re not gonna win the league, are they? Or the CL, realistically. So their most fruitful options are the FA, the League Cup and the Europa. And Poch has already shown he has no interest whatsoever in two of those.

Which leads to a tangential point, about how odd I find it when success starved clubs (who aren’t fighting relegation) give up on the chance of realistic silverware for a running up league position, and the chance to go out of the CL at some point the following year. The kicker being that serially successful managers like Fergie, Mou or Pep rarely if ever did/do this, and regularly field strong teams in the latter stages of every comp, even though they’re invariably with teams with way more reason to rest players or prioritise their interests.

It’s not mere chance that the only English teams to win the Europa in its modern incarnation have been United and Chelsea...The two teams with the least prestige to gain from doing so, but who nevertheless took it far more seriously than the Spurses and Evertons, simply because they’re winners. Who win things because they want to win things. For the sake of winning.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Good to hear from you Mockney. Agree with a lot of what you have to say.

I do definitely think that the media narrative gets to them. They live up to their expectations of playing nice footaball, but bottling it during matches with close odds.

@JakeC . Bloody hell. Not seen you post for a while. Do you still have the nice girlfriend and the unibrow?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Seeing Kyle Walker win the PL and the League Cup will hurt them. Surely it gets to a point where some of them will wanna actually win things.

Chairman Woodie

But how long will that core stick around without Spurs winning trophies? MP has made great progress with Spurs, but the trophy cabinet is gathering dust.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Seeing Kyle Walker win the PL and the League Cup will hurt them. Surely it gets to a point where some of them will wanna actually win things.
It's been an awful few days for Spurs fans and players.

City toyed with them at times in the League, Wenger's imminent departure gives their cross town rivals a good chance to move forward significantly in the next few years and get the positive media coverage that a new era will bring with it and now Spurs have lived down to expectations by tamely losing a semi despite taking the lead and then immediately handing the initiative to United to such an extent that they ended up surrendering meekly.

Now the reality is that their top players are bound to question whether they want to stay and fight or take the money and realistic possibilities of trophies elsewhere.
My opinion is that they lost more than just a match yesterday.

PaulRich

Kane looks way off pace - surely a worry for England as the WC is only 7 weeks away - back too early from that injury perhaps??

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But what is “far”? They’re not gonna win the league, are they? Or the CL, realistically. So their most fruitful options are the FA, the League Cup and the Europa. And Poch has already shown he has no interest whatsoever in two of those.

Which leads to a tangential point, about how odd I find it when success starved clubs (who aren’t fighting relegation) give up on the chance of realistic silverware for a running up league position, and the chance to go out of the CL at some point the following year. The kicker being that serially successful managers like Fergie, Mou or Pep rarely if ever did/do this, and regularly field strong teams in the latter stages of every comp, even though they’re invariably with teams with way more reason to rest players or prioritise their interests.

It’s not mere chance that the only English teams to win the Europa in its modern incarnation have been United and Chelsea...The two teams with the least prestige to gain from doing so, but who nevertheless took it far more seriously than the Spurses and Evertons, simply because they’re winners. Who win things because they want to win things. For the sake of winning.
So many English clubs are guilty of this. They shat on Europa league for so long, on other hand, clubs like Atletico, Sevilla who have won European titles, La Lia, Spanish cup, reach CL finals take Europa seriously and field their strongest teams. English teams think they are so much better than Europa when reality is so many of them are below Europa level.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Early departure looming.
Still possible, but if we do go out I hope we make sure we get third and then put in some genuine effort for the Europa League. It's a fecking trophy, and top four is far from a given for us this season anyhow.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Definitely, Looking at the group I never thought they would win vs Barca. Especially with the injuries they have, no Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Vertonghen. They can point to that Milan loss, terrible by Spurs to let that lead slip.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Definitely, Looking at the group I never thought they would win vs Barca. Especially with the injuries they have, no Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Vertonghen. They can point to that Milan loss, terrible by Spurs to let that lead slip.
I think without those injuries we very much would have had a solid chance of beating them tonight.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Twice
And still have to win at home the remaining game
Maybe even get something in Spain
They would still be in good shape if Barca beat Inter twice. If Inter are able to beat Barca, they are as good as out.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
I hope they fall apart so that we can pick off Poch, Eriksen, and Son...and then proceed to turn them to shit