Spurs officially departed tonight

Duafc

Village Lemon
This might not be a popular opinion, but I think the red card was a convenient scapegoat to blame our defeat on. We'd have lost that tie anyway imo.
I mean, it’s easy to say we were winning and looking okay but that Real team was a good bit stronger than us, we’ll never know!

The red card was a big part of why we lost the tie, that’s undoubted. We very well may have lost it with 11 though, as likely as winning it I’d say.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Because there is absolutely no relationship between the two teams except the club's logo on the kit. Using your logic you Spurs can buy the best 11 players in the world and you will still be able to claim that they will fail because of what happened with Harry's team. Spurs will probably not win the title but that will be because of teams like City who've massively outspent them.
It's not just Harry's team. There's decades of failure which psychologically is a huge bridge to cross for a club. Not as easy to build a winning culture just by having a new generation of players. Even clubs like United find it hard after periods of failure and Liverpool. Nothing about the current side has shown they can win minor trophies and that its a team of ruthless winners. They need to prove it. As does Poch who has won feck all in his career.

Bestietom

A very good display by Tottenham, except for Dembele. He could have ruined it all by getting sent off. Stupid Fool.

Seveneric

Congrats to Spurs, it was a good game (for them).

Are we still allowed to praise them? Or are the psychotic topreds going to come crawling out accusing people of loving Poch more than their own team.

undertaker

Real madrid have been shockingly bad recently, spurs aint all that just english media hype thats all.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Despite never having won anything and losing to Jose last week. Okay.
Every manager has "never won anything" at some point and Fergie lost to many "inferior" managers.

Look at what he's done on their budget, and how he gets them playing.

At least he attacks the big clubs, José is a coward ("pragmatist") against big clubs.

Don't you miss the good old traditional slug-fests? Ok Fergie parked the bus on occasion, but more often than not it was a good old dust up. Some would be won, others would be lost but my God was it entertaining.

ants7

Great win and performance against off-form Real Madrid, I'll give you that. I also have no problem admitting that they are a good side but saying that they now belong to the top teams of Europe (as some papers claim) because of that win? come on..

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I mean, it’s easy to say we were winning and looking okay but that Real team was a good bit stronger than us, we’ll never know!

The red card was a big part of why we lost the tie, that’s undoubted. We very well may have lost it with 11 though, as likely as winning it I’d say.
We were bossing that match with 11. I'm not sure why the person you've quoted said that we'd lost the match considering there were only 34 mins left in the match.

Daniel Moore

Good thing is they will get hyper inflated prices for the players unlike arsenal.

Bad timing for the stadium.

But will kane ali go to spain? huge risk that.
For me unless there’s a dramatic loss of form or spurs change tact and pay the astronomical wages they’d Warrant in the current market kane and alli will have to move in the next two seasons. They’ve been over-achieving over-delivering for a while now It won’t be sustainable

The Bloody-Nine

Every manager has "never won anything" at some point and Fergie lost to many "inferior" managers.

Look at what he's done on their budget, and how he gets them playing.

At least he attacks the big clubs, José is a coward ("pragmatist") against big clubs.

Don't you miss the good old traditional slug-fests? Ok Fergie parked the bus on occasion, but more often than not it was a good old dust up. Some would be won, others would be lost but my God was it entertaining.
How has attacking the big clubs gone for him again? What is it, one away win against the top 6 clubs in 16 games?

Mourinho has won 25 major trophies in four different countries. He is arguably one of the greatest managers of all time. Poch has won nothing. Come back to me when that changes.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sorry to bump the thread (not really), but those who doubted them must surely admit Spurs have turned a corner and are a proper CL team by now?
Lesser teams would have crumbled after going 2 goals down inside 10 minutes against Juve in Turin, yet Spurs, despite their squads general lack of CL experience, turned it around and actually ended up dominating the game.

It would have been very different had Higuain not missed the penalty at the end of the first half, though.

PS

The more I watch Eriksen, the more I want him at United.

Last edited:

diplomat

Lesser teams would have crumbled after going 2 goals down inside 10 minutes against Juve in Turin, yet Spurs, despite their squads general lack of CL experience, turned it around and actually ended up dominating the game.

It would have been very different had Higuain not missed the penalty at the end of the first half, though.

PS

First goal for Juventus was offside, though.

The Firestarter

Was surprised to see them so mature and composed at a knock out round . Well done to Pochetino.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I watched Juve at the weekend for the first time in months and they were truly awful. Fiorentina took the game to them and Juve sat deep trying to withhold their attacks, and failing a few times. Fiorentina should have had a penalty and were unlucky to not score a couple of other times.

From the little I saw, this doesn't look a great Juve side. Not to take too much away from Spurs.

Martial

I dread to think how we would have coped mentally with being 2-0 down so early in Turin.

Although Juve seem to be one of the most fragile big teams in Europe in recent years so who knows.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
First goal for Juventus was offside, though.
It wasn't. Higuain's shoulder was in line with the defender, his arm was in front but that doesn't count.

It was actually a spot on refereeing performance today.

mav_9me

PS

I had been thinking the same but realized wouldn't work with Pogba.

Nedved

I watched Juve at the weekend for the first time in months and they were truly awful. Fiorentina took the game to them and Juve sat deep trying to withhold their attacks, and failing a few times. Fiorentina should have had a penalty and were unlucky to not score a couple of other times.

From the little I saw, this doesn't look a great Juve side.
This is true. We only recently found our form and best formation (until we were hit by injuries), despite all the great defensive stats flying around. Napoli might finally also win the league. Spurs have been in great form recently and they have a strong starting XI and 2-3 difference makers on the bench after the additions of Moura and Lamela.

I wouldn't count Juve out though. Spurs played very well for 20 minutes and took their chances, but could with less luck have conceded 4 goals. I would bet a lot on Juve scoring at least one goal at Wembley. It will be a very interesting return tie.

diplomat

It wasn't. Higuain's shoulder was in line with the defender, his arm was in front but that doesn't count.

From what they showed in the studio, it looked a definite offside, but maybe someone can provide images for perspective.

Classical Mechanic

It wasn’t spot on. He got in the way of the play twice in attacking positions! How did Chiellini not get booked for that challenge on Alli? He also bought every blatant dive Chiellini made. Should have booked Aurier for the pen too.

As for the op, they don’t arrive if Juve do them at Wembley

pocco

loco
It wasn’t spot on. He got in the way of the play twice in attacking positions! How did Chiellini not get booked for that challenge on Alli? He also bought every blatant dive Chiellini made. Should have booked Aurier for the pen too.

I didn't see the game, but please tell me that somebody has finally stuck one on Alli?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Aurier should have definitely been booked for the penalty but other than that I thought the ref was great, kept both teams calm and the rythm of the game was very good. Maybe I'm just too used to portuguese refs though.

Classical Mechanic

I didn't see the game, but please tell me that somebody has finally stuck one on Alli?
Nah, it was more blatant obstruction when Alli had put the ball past him on the edge of the box. They scored from the free kick too.

@Peyroteo

He got in the way of both sides when they were attacking, that is bad referring in my book.

sokol11

Extremely mature performance tonight. They were dominating 90% of the match. Had Juve defending in their half most of the game. Eriksen and Dembele were on another level. Nobody could get near them.

Comparing it to United middle I would say Matic can do the Dier work on a better level, Pogba could do what Dembele is doing all we need is a world class playmaker in the Eriksen mould and more positive attacking attitude. :)

pocco

loco
Extremely mature performance tonight. They were dominating 90% of the match. Had Juve defending in their half most of the game. Eriksen and Dembele were on another level. Nobody could get near them.

Comparing it to United middle I would say Matic can do the Dier work on a better level, Pogba could do what Dembele is doing all we need is a world class playmaker in the Eriksen mould and more positive attacking attitude. :)
Dier is a bit more mobile than Matic these days. Almost starting to think we should have got him instead if he was an option.

Also, Pogba refuses to work like Dembele and isn't as aggressive and doesn't have the same maturity or discipline in midfield. Basically we're miles away from having what they have in midfield.

PoTMS

Days like this just go to show we have a way before we can say we’re as good as Spurs. Yes, I know the league table says otherwise but these guys are a better team than us - something we need to learn in the next months and years to come. Bar the first few weeks of the season, we look so disjointed in comparison.

RedB4ndiT

Also, Pogba refuses to work like Dembele and isn't as aggressive and doesn't have the same maturity or discipline in midfield. Basically we're miles away from having what they have in midfield.
Maybe we should have spent the 90M on a different player then if our 90M player is so limited.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I said Spurs would go through this tie so I'm not surprised at the result tbh an Italian team will always struggle with the way Spurs play. I expect a very convincing win at home

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Spurs were immense tonight.

Out of the English teams I think it would only be them and City who could come back down from 2 the way they did tonight.

RobinHood

From the little I saw, this doesn't look a great Juve side. Not to take too much away from Spurs.
Yet... that’s exactly what you’re trying to do :lol:

Axkiko

Spurs was excellent against Real Madrid and Dortmund, now Juventus. Poch proving he's becoming one of the best coach in the world. Anyone who still doubt his quality because of trophyless are deluded. He changed the Spurs whole club mentality and they are fearless to play against any top teams now.

POF

Spurs was excellent against Real Madrid and Dortmund, now Juventus. Poch proving he's becoming one of the best coach in the world. Anyone who still doubt his quality because of trophyless are deluded. He changed the Spurs whole club mentality and they are fearless to play against any top teams now.
I agree. He is an outstanding coach.

English clubs will certainly dominate European competition either now or in the near future because they have a significant financial advantage over the majority of other leagues but Spurs are an exception. Where other teams are benefitting from being in the EPL when the TV money is so high, it is probably a detriment to Spurs. They would most likely have had more domestic success if the other top English clubs weren't so financially powerful.

They are an extremely good team which is due to how well coached they are rather than financial power. Their biggest issue is if they lost Pochettino they would be in real trouble.

singabiru

Supports
Chelsea
Giving time for a quality coach like Pochitenno is the key for Tottenham having a top class squad. Other clubs can learn something from Levy in being realistic with expectations and sooner or later, the coaching and tactics bear fruit.

Smores

Chances are they'll come close and then lose their best players when the big clubs coming calling. It tends to be what happens.

Even Harry got them through to quarters, beating Inter and Milan if i recall.