Spurs officially departed tonight

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lest we forget how they tore apart Inter back in the day and ultimately never won much with that great side of Bale and Modric?

Let's see if they have any trophies at the end of the day. No doubt it's a cracking side fwiw just have a feeling the main protagonists will need to move elsewhere to get medals..

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Lest we forget how they tore apart Inter back in the day and ultimately never won much with that great side of Bale and Modric?

Let's see if they have any trophies at the end of the day. No doubt it's a cracking side fwiw just have a feeling the main protagonists will need to move elsewhere to get medals..
That was not a great side by any measure.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
These Pochettino sides are much,much better. Guys like Dawson, Sandro, Wilson Palacios, Assou-Ekotto, Gomes, etc were key players for them back then.
No doubt - I rate current side as a whole better and they have a better manager. That said a team with peak Bale and a mid like Luka/van der vaart isn't to he sniffed at. They also demolished team that has recently won CL (gave Real a decent game too) and the width in that side was better but yes overall not as good as current side.

Point being that side could have won a league cup at least but current side despite being strong hasn't won anything either. Spurs need to show something for their growth otherwise it'll be a wasted project.

MDFC Manager

This is a stunning win and I'm happy for them.

I yearn for us to win like this but it's going to take a long time...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
No doubt - I rate current side as a whole better and they have a better manager. That said a team with peak Bale and a mid like Luka/van der vaart isn't to he sniffed at. They also demolished team that has recently won CL (gave Real a decent game too) and the width in that side was better but yes overall not as good as current side.

Point being that side could have won a league cup at least but current side despite being strong hasn't won anything either. Spurs need to show something for their growth otherwise it'll be a wasted project.
No they didn't. Real wiped the floor with them. And for the match Bale was side left, Modric wide right, Van Der Vaart as #10 and the rest of the lineup was Crouch up front, Jenas and Sandro in midfield; a backline of Corluka/Gallas/Dawson/Assou-Ekotto and Gomes in goal(and strangely enough Adebayor had two goals for Real in the first leg). https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/4...mpions-League-2010-2011-Real-Madrid-Tottenham

And I feel Spurs have made great progress regardless even if they do not have a trophy to show for it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They played very good game and deserved winners. Shame they missed few easy changes at the end which would have made scoreline even worse for Madrid.

Saying that this is just a group game. Spanish teams and Bayern are different teams when it comes to KO stages. Like Jose said, for these clubs CL starts in Feb.

prtk0811

They played very good game and deserved winners. Shame they missed few easy changes at the end which would have made scoreline even worse for Madrid.

Saying that this is just a group game. Spanish teams and Bayern are different teams when it comes to KO stages. Like Jose said, for these clubs CL starts in Feb.
Real Madrid got lucky that Dortmund dint pick 6 points of apoel otherwise they'd be level on points with 2 games to go right now , dangerous position to be in.

Sereques

I don't understand why some fans are celebrating spurs victory, if Madrid finish second in the group, we could get them in second round.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I don't understand why some fans are celebrating spurs victory, if Madrid finish second in the group, we could get them in second round.
Personally I’d rather get Madrid. Obviously they’re still a tougher opposition but I can’t abide playing English teams in the latter stages of the CL and big games are what the competition is all about.

You gotta play them some time!

Interval

Level
Spurs have shown more fight, finesse and right attitude in this years' group stages than Arsenal have shown for over a decade in the competition.

It must be so great for a Spurs fan to watch a carefully, cheaply built team to beat the best team in the world in the leading competition in style while playing great football. Its everything that a fan wants.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Personally I’d rather get Madrid. Obviously they’re still a tougher opposition but I can’t abide playing English teams in the CL and big games are what the competition is all about.
Getting Real so early in 2013 sucked. Knowing we would have advanced if we literally drew anyone else that round.

Hamadovich86

Personally I’d rather get Madrid. Obviously they’re still a tougher opposition but I can’t abide playing English teams in the latter stages of the CL and big games are what the competition is all about.

Our record against them is shit I would not want to play them in the next round honestly.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Getting Real so early in 2013 sucked. Knowing we would have advanced if we literally drew anyone else that round.
We were winning that tie until the red card! I thought we were great and although it sucked a big one it was a memorable occasion. Similar to Real putting us out 6-5 with Ronaldo being amazing and getting an ovation and Beckham being pretty fecking class before going to Madrid!

Great games and worth remembering despite us going out.

I get wanting a good draw and going far, give me Sevilla or Porto any day of the week but big occasions are what we’ve been missing out on the last 4 years.

Sereques

We cannot play english teams in the second round. From quarters, anything can happen but meeting Madrid so early is a very bad idea.

Sereques

I think people are giving Spurs credit for pulling this off not really celebrating them.
They're proud of Spurs, that is beyond realms of giving credit. I wanted Madrid to win because I understand the implication of a Real loss.

Duafc

Village Lemon
We cannot play english teams in the second round. From quarters, anything can happen but meeting Madrid so early is a very bad idea.
Yeah that’s what I meant by latter stages.

It’s not an idea though, it’s literally pot luck. We’ll finish top and everything else is beyond our control, it’s not worth worrying. If we draw a big team who finished second then that’s just the way of it! I’d still rather a top European night, you have to beat good sides eventually.

For an example, 2014 we scraped past Olympiacos 3-2 to be put out by Bayern. Who cares about the Olympiacos game? Aside from quarters being marginally better than round of 16 and coefficients/prize money what’s the real difference if we got a big team and went out in the round of 16.

In 99 we had Bayern and Barca in our group, then played a strong Inter and brilliant Juve before Bayern again in the final!

In 08 we beat Barca then Chelsea.

This is a decent article on the occasional randomness of the competition. At the end of the day there’s a reason why we want to be in the Champions League and not the Europa. Yes you want to go far and I’d be pleased with an easy draw but playing Real, Barca, Bayern etc is really what it’s all about.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This sums them up perfectly. They are the most tactically versatile team in the league, maybe Europe. They can defend in numbers, keep possession, be pro active in attack as well as counter attack. They do lack the individual quality of the very best team which is what is still costing them but it is hard to see a better coached than them throughout the past 3 years.
Napoli

Sereques

Yeah that’s what I meant by latter stages.

It’s not an idea though, it’s literally pot luck. We’ll finish top and everything else is beyond our control, it’s not worth worrying. If we draw a big team who finished second then that’s just the way of it! I’d still rather a top European night, you have to beat good sides eventually.

For an example, 2014 we scraped past Olympiacos 3-2 to be put out by Bayern. Who cares about the Olympiacos game? Aside from quarters being marginally better than round of 16 and coefficients/prize money what’s the real difference if we got a big team and went out in the round of 16.

In 99 we had Bayern and Barca in our group, then played a strong Inter and brilliant Juve before Bayern again in the final!

In 08 we beat Barca then Chelsea.

This is a decent article on the occasional randomness of the competition. At the end of the day there’s a reason why we want to be in the Champions League and not the Europa. Yes you want to go far and I’d be pleased with an easy draw but playing Real, Barca, Bayern etc is really what it’s all about.
LOL, 1999, they had second round group stage, 2008 we met Barca and Chelsea in the semis and finals. If you can't see the sense in avoiding Madrid in the second round of this competition, then forget it.

Duafc

Village Lemon
LOL, 1999, they had second round group stage, 2008 we met Barca and Chelsea in the semis and finals. If you can't see the sense in avoiding Madrid in the second round of this competition, then forget it.
Of course I can see the sense, I’ve acknowledged that in both posts.

All I’m saying is I, personally, don’t mind getting the big teams at any stage as I enjoy those games more. Ultimately you’ll play a good team sooner rather than later anyway and either go out or progress.

I’m not the one cacking my pants at the thought of Real going through second placed and drawing us... something no one can control or predict.

LOL

MuFc_1992

But you cannot use the failure of that side as some sort of predictor of current teams potential because this is a completely different side with a manager who knows what he is doing. The whole they will chock because they are spurs is not a good argument IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They have been a breath of fresh air in recent seasons.

They deserve the plaudits. It may well end up going nowhere but it’s no surprise they are making headlines

A lot of youse sound pretty salty if truth be told
Been that way since the dawn of time. Users come and go but the salt level remains.
One particular user never fecking goes (other than temporary hibernations when Spurs hit the “bust” phase of their latest boom-bust cycle) and that salt will persist as long as he does...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
But you cannot use the failure of that side as some sort of predictor of current teams potential because this is a completely different side with a manager who knows what he is doing. The whole they will chock because they are spurs is not a good argument IMO.
Why not. They've had such easy chances to grab a title or a cup past few seasons while a lot of teams in transition and wasted it. Look at their performance against us on the weekend.. the money is still on them flattering to deceive come by end of the season.

On the other hand one trophy and next season if they stayed together they could be a real winning force.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why not. They've had such easy chances to grab a title or a cup past few seasons while a lot of teams in transition and wasted it. Look at their performance against us on the weekend.. the money is still on them flattering to deceive come by end of the season.

On the other hand one trophy and next season if they stayed together they could be a real winning force.
That would be because their squad is nowhere near as deep as City's in terms of quality. If they had their finances...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We were winning that tie until the red card! I thought we were great and although it sucked a big one it was a memorable occasion. Similar to Real putting us out 6-5 with Ronaldo being amazing and getting an ovation and Beckham being pretty fecking class before going to Madrid!

Great games and worth remembering despite us going out.

I get wanting a good draw and going far, give me Sevilla or Porto any day of the week but big occasions are what we’ve been missing out on the last 4 years.
This might not be a popular opinion, but I think the red card was a convenient scapegoat to blame our defeat on. We'd have lost that tie anyway imo.

Rednotdead

Real Madrid are nothing to write home about at the moment, they're almost being beaten for fun in La Liga. People give them too much respect simply because of their name and history.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Overreaction. Spurs are bottlers and always will be.

Sky Sports actually said "Spurs greatest night in Wembley".

It's a CL group game, get a grip FFS :lol:.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That would be because their squad is nowhere near as deep as City's in terms of quality. If they had their finances...
You could give Spurs a billion and they'd still find a way to choke based on previous experiences. Bottom line is on paper this is a tremendous side and forget how much money others have spent - right now Spurs have a brilliant side which is capable of and should win a trophy (FA Cup) minimum. If they don't then yes still chokers for me.

Treble

Despite Real being in poor form right now, this win is very important for Spurs because it will give them confidence that they can challenge for the biggest trophies. They will be good in the league again and will finish in top 3 again. The fact that they are building a strong team without throwing much money is giving them a huge psychological boost.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
So they can beat Madrid but not us?? Hang on a minute... Madrid lost to Spurs, who prior lost to United, who lost recently to Huddersfield. Basically, Huddersfield > Man United > Spurs > Real Madrid. Huddersfield are better than Real Madrid confirmed.
:lol::lol::lol:

MuFc_1992

Because there is absolutely no relationship between the two teams except the club's logo on the kit. Using your logic you Spurs can buy the best 11 players in the world and you will still be able to claim that they will fail because of what happened with Harry's team. Spurs will probably not win the title but that will be because of teams like City who've massively outspent them.