Spurs officially departed tonight

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Just shows how much of football is down to luck. Spurs had all but appointed LVG before Utd swooped for him. Don't think they'd be anywhere close to this level with LVG at the helm.

Been saying this for a while but English teams are going to absolutely dominate Europe in the next few years, Spurs and Pochettino are not some special case, even if he is a very good coach. With the money involved in English football it's unavoidable.

NK86

All this over the top praise starts getting nauseous and the belittling of our club and players compounds that. Especially considering they have won zilch in probably their best seasons in decades while we have won 3 decent trophies in 2 years.

JG3001

I still to this day am appalled we never went in for Dembele when he was at Fulham. Had all the traits of a Fergie player, at a time we were desperately lacking in midfield.

PeteManic

Really enjoyed the Spurs Juve match last night. Felt like a proper European tie with some tactics and strategising involved. I thought Dier and Dembele were fantastic.

Thisistheone

Sorry to bump the thread (not really), but those who doubted them must surely admit Spurs have turned a corner and are a proper CL team by now?
Thought they were brilliant last night. Reminded me a little of us back in the 90's coming of age in Europe with a reletively young/inexperienced team.

Great game as well, with plenty of drama & big chances for both sides.

POF

Just shows how much of football is down to luck. Spurs had all but appointed LVG before Utd swooped for him. Don't think they'd be anywhere close to this level with LVG at the helm.
Yep. Talk about dodging a bullet.

shield

Have been playing really well for quite a few months. However, they find playing the lesser teams tricky. Against, top opposition, they are generally quite impressive.

Rajma

I still to this day am appalled we never went in for Dembele when he was at Fulham. Had all the traits of a Fergie player, at a time we were desperately lacking in midfield.
Especially going back to that game at OT with Fulham were he was unplayable and shaken off our midfielders at will.

Member 90887

All this over the top praise starts getting nauseous and the belittling of our club and players compounds that. Especially considering they have won zilch in probably their best seasons in decades while we have won 3 decent trophies in 2 years.
This place is like that. the hype will die down as soon as the next bad results.

I agree about the nauseous part. i for one don't ignore a lot of threads and spend less and less time in here in moment like this.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
When appraising Spurs there always seems to be a few pesky caveats to take into account. They got a good result from a good performance at Juve BUT were two down and could have been three very early in the tie. They have a fine W/L ratio over the last few seasons BUT have won nothing in a decade. They're building a good squad, coaching setup and infrastructure BUT if that is ultimately at the expense of trophies, as it has been so far, will that make them less attractive to good players both current and potential in the near future?

I would certainly say regardless of league position that they are a better team than us currently, and because of their fearlessness displays against the likes of Real and Juve I fancy them for the CL ahead of us.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Add to the fact that they're sat 5th in the league. The way people talk about Spurs you'd think they were just behind Man City on goal difference and not actually behind the awful Chelsea side who are apparently having such a shit season they're about to sack the coach.

Poch has improved them since he's been there and has done a very good job but some of the talk about them (and him) is ridiculous.

Ainu

I was very impressed by them. After the early blitz I thought they would lose their heads as they've done in the past. I was fully expecting further punishment and at least a red card, but their response was fantastic. I'd be extremely delighted with such a performance at what should've been a very tough place to get something. Yes, Juve allowed them back into the game and paid the price for it, but Spurs deserve a lot of credit for how they took advantage of that situation to go on and dominate the game.

Judas

Open to offers
They're a true team, with a plan and an identity. If we'd gone 2-0 down after ten minutes like they did last night, it would have been very very ugly.

Mindhunter

They're a true team, with a plan and an identity. If we'd gone 2-0 down after ten minutes like they did last night, it would have been very very ugly.
We wouldn't have gone 2-0 down after ten minutes. We have never in this season.

Thisistheone

Spurs praise is nauseous? I just don't get that.

Why can't we sit back and admire the journey they're on? In a world increasingly dominated by PSG & Man City financial doping.

Spurs are a young, developing side, with a bright young manager. They play progressive, modern football. They can press high or sit off and look to play on the break. Their star man is an academy player. They're constantly punching above their weight in terms of wages and transfers.

They've basically done everything right. They're building a club and squad through their own means. It's everything thats good about football, unlike City.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Spurs played well, especially after going 2-0 down. The key moment in the game was the penalty miss. The referee was very good.

Juventus had a lot of injuries for the game, including Matuidi, Cuadrado, Dybala, Barzagli, Howedes etc. Dybala is an especially big miss, if he’s back to full fitness (and any others) for the return leg I would imagine Juve will be like a different side.

I wouldn’t be getting too excited yet.

NK86

Add to the fact that they're sat 5th in the league. The way people talk about Spurs you'd think they were just behind Man City on goal difference and not actually behind the awful Chelsea side who are apparently having such a shit season they're about to sack the coach.

Poch has improved them since he's been there and has done a very good job but some of the talk about them (and him) is ridiculous.
Exactly. Yea they are on a good run of form but it wasn't long back when they were struggling with performance and results too. Finally arrived. *Pukes*

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. Yea they are on a good run of form but it wasn't long back when they were struggling with performance and results too. Finally arrived. *Pukes*
This thread is from October when they played Madrid.

Btw in the last fortnight, they played against ManUtd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Juventus and dominated every single game. They surely deserve praise, like @Thisistheone said, in the age of financial doping clubs, Spurs have done amazingly well with little money.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's a thread that's essentially about Spurs in the Champion League this season - it's got bugger all to do with your "3 decent trophies in 2 years". And nor does have every thread about Spurs (or a Spurs player) have to be filled with tiresome "won zilch" posts.

The fact is that Spurs have travelled down what has been easily the toughest route so far of any of the English teams within this season's CL. And yet, despite this, have topped their CL group, are unbeaten home and away in 7 CL games and counting, have beaten Real Madrid, have beaten Dortmund away from home, have dominated Juve on their own patch and scored twice against a Juve team that had previously conceded just 1 goal in their last 16 games.

All this shows that Spurs have become a force to be reckoned with in Europe and that it's possible for the team to believe that they can go all the way to the final.

NK86

When appraising Spurs there always seems to be a few pesky caveats to take into account. They got a good result from a good performance at Juve BUT were two down and could have been three very early in the tie. They have a fine W/L ratio over the last few seasons BUT have won nothing in a decade. They're building a good squad, coaching setup and infrastructure BUT if that is ultimately at the expense of trophies, as it has been so far, will that make them less attractive to good players both current and potential in the near future?

I would certainly say regardless of league position that they are a better team than us currently, and because of their fearlessness displays against the likes of Real and Juve I fancy them for the CL ahead of us.
The last paragraph is like saying regardless of league position, Burnley are better than Arsenal. The league position never lies. Even if there's 4 points in it, there are still 2 teams between us.

NK86

It's a thread that's essentially about Spurs in the Champion League this season - it's got bugger all to do with your "3 decent trophies in 2 years". And nor does have every thread about Spurs (or a Spurs player) have to be filled with tiresome "won zilch" posts.

The fact is that Spurs have travelled down what has been easily the toughest route so far of any of the English teams within this season's CL. And yet, despite this, have topped their CL group, are unbeaten home and away in 7 CL games and counting, have beaten Real Madrid, have beaten Dortmund away from home, have dominated Juve on their own patch and scored twice against a Juve team that had previously conceded just 1 goal in their last 16 games.

All this shows that Spurs have become a force to be reckoned with in Europe and that it's possible for the team to believe that they can go all the way to the final.
Then why do you get all riled up with actual facts. You have won diddly squat despite this over the top praise you are receiving from many. Why don't you let your bragging wait till you have won at least the FA cup, let alone the bigger trophies.

As for this being a Spurs thread, it's still a Man Utd forum. So quit your whining when people point out counter arguments to your praises.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The last paragraph is like saying regardless of league position, Burnley are better than Arsenal. The league position never lies. Even if there's 4 points in it, there are still 2 teams between us.
Correction: the final league table never lies. Looking at a mid-season snapshot in time often does.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Then why do you get all riled up with actual facts. You have won diddly squat despite this over the top praise you are receiving from many. Why don't you let your bragging wait till you have won at least the FA cup, let alone the bigger trophies.

As for this being a Spurs thread, it's still a Man Utd forum. So quit your whining when people point out counter arguments to your praises.
Seems to me that you're the one who is whining ... whining about "all this over the top praise starts getting nauseous".

NK86

Btw in the last fortnight, they played against ManUtd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Juventus and dominated every single game. They surely deserve praise, like @Thisistheone said, in the age of financial doping clubs, Spurs have done amazingly well with little money.
I know they are doing well. However despite all this they are still fifth, and came second the year Leicester of all teams won the title. And as I said, it was not long back when they were struggling with performance and results.

NK86

Seems to me that you're the one who is whining ... whining about "all this over the top praise starts getting nauseous".
Yes and I pointed out why. You have won nothing. Yet that somehow is something you get riled up with.

Coxy

Spurs praise is nauseous? I just don't get that.

Why can't we sit back and admire the journey they're on? In a world increasingly dominated by PSG & Man City financial doping.

Spurs are a young, developing side, with a bright young manager. They play progressive, modern football. They can press high or sit off and look to play on the break. Their star man is an academy player. They're constantly punching above their weight in terms of wages and transfers.

They've basically done everything right. They're building a club and squad through their own means. It's everything thats good about football, unlike City.
Both of these posts are spot on. Kudos to Spurs.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Really enjoyed the game. Spurs deserved at least the draw - great effort from the whole team but their midfield in particular was excellent (as it was against us).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This result, and the one at the Bernabeu, means jack unless they are able to show ambition and convince Kane/Alli/Eriksen to stay beyond next season (by paying the extra wages they might want). We have to remember this isn't the first 'first dawn' they have had, people were signing similar praises when they convincingly beat Inter, then too the reigning European Champions, at home after nearly drawing away. That time the team had Bale and Modric as their stars, but ofcourse weren't able to hold onto them for much longer.

Same is the case now, they won't be able to progress further and to the top of the Europe without managing to hold onto their players.

arthurka

Well done Spurs..
If anyone is having second doubts regarding Mou as our manager this game showed them why they might be right.. 2-0 down and absolutely hammered Juve in second half.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yes and I pointed out why. You have won nothing. Yet that somehow is something you get riled up with.
So you admit to whining.

I have a suggestion: why don't you create a "Spurs have won nothing thread"? And then you can fill it to your little heart's content with endless posts repeatedly pointing out what has already been endlessly pointed out in numerous other threads and posts about Spurs or Spurs players.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Well then why don't we keep the praise and hype till the end of the season.
What's so bad about people discussing and commenting on particular games? For example, wasn't the taking apart of Real Madrid at Wembley noteworthy enough for you?

And I notice that you haven't waited until the season end before declaring that Spurs "have won nothing" ... when actually we're still in with in a shout in two competitions.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Things fluctuate in a season though. I'm a big believer that in a 38 game, zero sum league the table at the end will be representative of the teams' relative qualities. Less so mid-season.

I said 'I would certainly say regardless of league position that they are a better team than us currently'. I stand by this as at present Spurs look a well-drilled effective unit, with solidity at the back and potency up front, while we are struggling to nail down our style and best XI. Add in the fact they played us off the fecking park a fortnight ago and the matter is clear as far as I'm concerned.

They haven't been better all season and they hopefully will prove themselves not to be come the end but for now there is no sense in arguing anything else.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I enjoy watching this Spurs team tbh, I like the way they control games. Would have won yesterday if not for some silly mistakes at the back - they will somehow need to cut those out.

I would tend to agree that their first XI is currently marginally better than ours, but I think we have yet to find the right system for our best team after the arrival of Sanchez which is part of the reason. Other than that there is pretty much nothing between the teams. Their midfield is definitely better than ours at the moment, but that's partly because of form issues. United have better squad depth.

NK86

So you admit to whining.

I have a suggestion: why don't you create a "Spurs have won nothing thread"? And then you can fill it to your little heart's content with endless posts repeatedly pointing out what has already been endlessly pointed out in numerous other threads and posts about Spurs or Spurs players.
Well this is a Spurs thread and I am posting about Spurs and how they have won jack all so far. Why don't you try and take that on board as a valid point instead of getting worked up.

NK86

What's so bad about people discussing and commenting on particular games? For example, wasn't the taking apart of Real Madrid at Wembley noteworthy enough for you?

And I notice that you haven't waited until the season end before declaring that Spurs "have won nothing" ... when actually we're still in with in a shout in two competitions.
I clearly meant won anything so far. Obviously no team has officially won any trophy this season (not counting the Charity Shield of course) so what's the point in being pedantic.

Also, never said that Spurs aren't a good team now. But the hype is over the top. That's all I am pointing at. Why do you feel the need to get offended by that?

Last edited: