Spurs officially departed tonight

NK86

Things fluctuate in a season though. I'm a big believer that in a 38 game, zero sum league the table at the end will be representative of the teams' relative qualities. Less so mid-season.

I said 'I would certainly say regardless of league position that they are a better team than us currently'. I stand by this as at present Spurs look a well-drilled effective unit, with solidity at the back and potency up front, while we are struggling to nail down our style and best XI. Add in the fact they played us off the fecking park a fortnight ago and the matter is clear as far as I'm concerned.

They haven't been better all season and they hopefully will prove themselves not to be come the end but for now there is no sense in arguing anything else.
But you are taking a very small sample of 3-4 games, albeit against good opposition, to prove a point. Spurs had an equally rough patch a few weeks back when they struggled against Newport as well. So the thing is form will fluctuate over the course of a season. Spurs are in the middle of a very good run and excellent form. However that's all that it is. More than half the season has gone and we are comfortably ahead of them and second in the league. Yes we have had our own dip too but so far this season, which isn't really embryonic so as to not draw some conclusions, we have been the better team.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
But you are taking a very small sample of 3-4 games, albeit against good opposition, to prove a point. Spurs had an equally rough patch a few weeks back when they struggled against Newport as well. So the thing is form will fluctuate over the course of a season. Spurs are in the middle of a very good run and excellent form. However that's all that it is. More than half the season has gone and we are comfortably ahead of them and second in the league. Yes we have had our own dip too but so far this season, which isn't really embryonic so as to not draw some conclusions, we have been the better team.
4 points? Is nothing with 11 games to go.

NK86

Spurs praise is nauseous? I just don't get that.

Why can't we sit back and admire the journey they're on? In a world increasingly dominated by PSG & Man City financial doping.

Spurs are a young, developing side, with a bright young manager. They play progressive, modern football. They can press high or sit off and look to play on the break. Their star man is an academy player. They're constantly punching above their weight in terms of wages and transfers.

They've basically done everything right. They're building a club and squad through their own means. It's everything thats good about football, unlike City.
But then I never said they aren't a good team or don't have good players. Kane is one of the best strikers in the world and they have some really classy players. However they have nothing to show for so far for their efforts.

Also, never compared then to City. Just to us. You know, another team who haven't done done too bad using their own resources.

NK86

4 points? Is nothing with 11 games to go.
Well we are still one loss and a draw away from going behind you. Agreed it's not huge but it's still not small either. Let's put it this way - I would rather be 4 points ahead than behind.

daveoliver91

Fully deserved for a really talented squad and a really good manager.

Today in the office I've been talking with a colleague and he said that Kane is overrated (1st sign he doesn't understand anything about football) and he said Spurs won't get more than 100m if they sell him.
He also states that Juventus should have won the game and they deserved to win it.. so that explains everything.

IMO Spurs have done a really nice job these last years. They just miss to win some silverware..

Smores

I enjoy watching this Spurs team tbh, I like the way they control games. Would have won yesterday if not for some silly mistakes at the back - they will somehow need to cut those out.

I would tend to agree that their first XI is currently marginally better than ours, but I think we have yet to find the right system for our best team after the arrival of Sanchez which is part of the reason. Other than that there is pretty much nothing between the teams. Their midfield is definitely better than ours at the moment, but that's partly because of form issues. United have better squad depth.
For me they've got two world class performing players at the moment in Kane and Erikksen and thats always going to make the difference.

I'd say we have one and he's only been here a few weeks. If our system is so bad and there's so good I'd expect more from them as the rest of the team is equal for me.

JoaquinJoaquin

Spurs were excellent last night and was a really enjoyable game. What I liked in particular from Spurs was that even when they were 2 down, They remained calm and took the game to Juventus while maintaining the game plan and shape, whereas alot of teams would of completely fell to pieces once that happened. They are certainly on the rise that is for sure.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Fair points, I don't have a problem with any of that apart from that I wouldn't call four points comfortable given our respective form.

All my post said is that Spurs are a better team than us at the moment, I'd put them as a better bet than us for the CL but there are caveats that stop me short of waxing lyrical about their future title chances.

NK86

Fair points, I don't have a problem with any of that apart from that I wouldn't call four points comfortable given our respective form.

All my post said is that Spurs are a better team than us at the moment, I'd put them as a better bet than us for the CL but there are caveats that stop me short of waxing lyrical about their future title chances.
I would say they are the more in-form team compared to us. But that can change very quickly as we have seen.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
For me they've got two world class performing players at the moment in Kane and Erikksen and thats always going to make the difference.

I'd say we have one and he's only been here a few weeks. If our system is so bad and there's so good I'd expect more from them as the rest of the team is equal for me.
I don't really agree with that particularly. I mean for a start on recent form I think Vertonghen is on a level with the likes of Eriksen and Kane, who I assume you are referring to. Sanchez might be in that class, as might Pogba, and De Gea certainly is, but neither Sanchez not Pogba are in great form just now. The likes of Lloris, Alli, Dembele are not exactly far behind either. They have a slight weak spot at full back - Aurier, Trippier, Rose and Davies are all better going forward than they are at defending - but then we have some of the same problem. More to the point teams aren't built on how many players you have in some arbitrary category. We need to find and largely stick with a shape that works for the players we have - we haven't found it at the moment. And we need key players like Pogba fully fit and firing.

Smores

I don't really agree with that particularly. I mean for a start on recent form I think Vertonghen is on a level with the likes of Eriksen and Kane, who I assume you are referring to. Sanchez might be in that class, as might Pogba, and De Gea certainly is, but neither Sanchez not Pogba are in great form just now. The likes of Lloris, Alli, Dembele are not exactly far behind either. They have a slight weak spot at full back - Aurier, Trippier, Rose and Davies are all better going forward than they are at defending - but then we have some of the same problem. More to the point teams aren't built on how many players you have in some arbitrary category. We need to find and largely stick with a shape that works for the players we have - we haven't found it at the moment. And we need key players like Pogba fully fit and firing.
Not fully discounting the importance of system but if there's one difference maker, SAF always showed us and the league history in general is that adding a world class striker to a team works 95% of the time.

If you don't have that you need a perfect system to make up for it, which we clearly don't have. Sanchez next season may be that attacker for us (hopefully)

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Extremely mature performance tonight. They were dominating 90% of the match. Had Juve defending in their half most of the game. Eriksen and Dembele were on another level. Nobody could get near them.

Comparing it to United middle I would say Matic can do the Dier work on a better level, Pogba could do what Dembele is doing all we need is a world class playmaker in the Eriksen mould and more positive attacking attitude. :)
Underrated player by many fans and pundits.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Remember the time when people said that Spurs wasted all the money they received from the Bale transfer!

I'd say Eriksen on his own has repaid the entire amount they spent that summer.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Yes and I pointed out why. You have won nothing. Yet that somehow is something you get riled up with.
You can't judge all teams by the same yardstick, Spurs have done very well for their level of spending both on transfers and wages. A par performance for this spurs team would be around the 5-6th position and making the CL consistently is an achievement. The fact that they now look to be progressing to the knockout stages and mixing it with the top European sides is a magnificent achievement and should be applauded, trophies or no trophies. If they consistently perform at this level then you can say that the expectations are changed and they should now aim for trophies, but they're not there yet. Right now, yesterday's performance would be the pinnacle of their progress.

Reactions: Fortitude

Murray3007

Some result and performance and unlucky not to win the game, can defo see them beating them in the second leg. considering some of the players they had missing makes it even more impressive. will be interesting to see how they go in the next few seasons with keeping the manager and star players and with the move to the new stadium. still could be looking at finishing 2nd this season, certainly the form team in the battle from 2-5/6 positions

Thisistheone

But then I never said they aren't a good team or don't have good players. Kane is one of the best strikers in the world and they have some really classy players. However they have nothing to show for so far for their efforts.

Also, never compared then to City. Just to us. You know, another team who haven't done done too bad using their own resources.
I was responding to the nauseous claim and how I don't really get it. It's not like Spurs are our biggest rival. Or a team that was lower PL or Championship level until some oil money came in.

They've won nothing yet, of course. But you have to judge them differently to us. It's a punching above your weight story. Similar to Sarri & the praise he gets at Napoli. He's won nothing either but you got to admire the job he is doing and the journey Napoli have been on under his management.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Remember the time when people said that Spurs wasted all the money they received from the Bale transfer!

I'd say Eriksen on his own has repaid the entire amount they spent that summer.
And Lamela was also bought from that money.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Spurs were excellent last night and was a really enjoyable game. What I liked in particular from Spurs was that even when they were 2 down, They remained calm and took the game to Juventus while maintaining the game plan and shape, whereas a lot of teams would of completely fell to pieces once that happened. They are certainly on the rise that is for sure.
Exactly this. Very good side, peaking at the right time. Looking more and more assured each season under Poch, who is probably the best manager in the League, along with Pep.

Last edited by a moderator:

AN17

They look capable of doing something we aren't able to atm. To regroup and show a bit more creativity and extra desire to get back into the game after going 2-0. With us, as soon as the opposition score we shit the bed or deflate into a "this is not our day" mentality.

AshRK

They look capable of doing something we aren't able to atm. To regroup and show a bit more creativity and extra desire to get back into the game after going 2-0. With us, as soon as the opposition score we shit the bed or deflate into a "this is not our day" mentality.
This. I have never seen us make a comeback even after going 1-0 down away to average teams let alone big teams. It's a huge worry if you ask me. I don't think we play as a team when attacking. WE Defend as a team but we don't attack as a team.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Glad to see Spurs taking it to the big teams in Europe.

Enjoyed the game last night, but Juve were missing a few big names. If they're back for the second leg it will be some game to watch.

Schneckerl

2:2 on the road is a fantastic result
75/25 to make it imo, I'm not aware about Juve's injured players coming back or not though

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And Lamela was also bought from that money.
For 30m I'd say he his performances have just justified his transfer fee, if at all. At his best, he has been a treat to watch but we haven't seen him at that level for a prolonged period.

Moonred

Well coached side with few very good players. Not surprised when they do perform well. It’s still a bit off from being a top side that will be favourites to win trophies regularly. So hopefully Poch fecks off.

Ritish

2-0 against Us
2-2 against Liverpool
1-0 against Arsenal
2-2 against Juventus
That's some good set of results for Tottenham. I remember when people were making jokes at there torrid set of fixtures, but they really have stood up to it and delivered when it mattered.

This

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
This. I have never seen us make a comeback even after going 1-0 down away to average teams let alone big teams. It's a huge worry if you ask me. I don't think we play as a team when attacking. WE Defend as a team but we don't attack as a team.
4-1 against Newcastle back in November. So yeah.

baskinginthesun

Spurs were excellent last night and was a really enjoyable game. What I liked in particular from Spurs was that even when they were 2 down, They remained calm and took the game to Juventus while maintaining the game plan and shape, whereas alot of teams would of completely fell to pieces once that happened. They are certainly on the rise that is for sure.
They certainly looked like they were going to score all night.

However, what if that 2nd penalty went in from Higuain? 3-1 vs 2-1 at halftime is a completely different chat. But, it wasn't and Spurs played a fantastic 2nd half and deservedly got that 2nd goal.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Glad to see Spurs taking it to the big teams in Europe.

Enjoyed the game last night, but Juve were missing a few big names. If they're back for the second leg it will be some game to watch.
Dybala and Barzagli should definitely be back for the second leg. Matuidi and Cuadrado will both be a toss-up, I think.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They certainly looked like they were going to score all night.
They had 2 shots in the entire second half. One an adventurous 30 yard attempt from Kane straight at Buffon. They were very impressive for the way they controlled the game and shut juventus down after the equalizer, but they were never even trying to score after that. Second half until the 2-2 juventus were on top and had 2 very big chances to make it 3-1.

It was an impressive and impressively mature performance from them, kinda like what they did at the bernabeu, but aside from a 20 minute stretch in the first half(when they were chasing the game), it was a masterclass in defending a result. The 2-2 came against the run of play

Number1

Spurs dominated them in every department in Turin, i can see it being even more comfortable at Wembley, but I hope Dybela is back, just to see what excuse is when Spurs do get the business done.

It's obvious Spurs will score at Wembley, i don't think it's so obvious Juventus will even at full strength, they are a defensive team by nature all said and done, they have to attack though and that means they are tailor made for Spurs on the counter and on a big pitch like Wembley, i can see them struggling.

djembatheking

Spurs played really well last night , great comeback . Probably blow it at home in the second leg now , that is the kind of thing Spurs do .

Andersons Dietician

Well we are still one loss and a draw away from going behind you. Agreed it's not huge but it's still not small either. Let's put it this way - I would rather be 4 points ahead than behind.
We have Chelsea and Pool soon which will be massive games where Spurs have a fairly easy 5-6 games till they see Chelsea. Those games for us are always massive but even more so now. We are in a battle for 4th. Hopefully we win our two big games.

NK86

We have Chelsea and Pool soon which will be massive games where Spurs have a fairly easy 5-6 games till they see Chelsea. Those games for us are always massive but even more so now. We are in a battle for 4th. Hopefully we win our two big games.
The good thing is we have those two games at home. I can see us getting six points out of those games. As I said, form can turn real quick as we have already seen this season. So all this waxing lyrical about Spurs should wait at least till they are still 5th.

FujiVice

Hard not to respect Pochettino. Would love him at United eventually. He's done a blinding job at Spurs

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
That's the thing, with teams like PSG, Man City and the instant money clubs I dont understand the dislike for Spurs, for individual players absolutely(Alli), but the team as a whole? They turned over RM over two legs, sure RM havnt been in their usual pomp but for a smaller club like Spurs its certainly an achievement. I thought they looked like the home team against Juventus second half and being 2 down didnt seem to phase them.

And I agree with enjoying watching smaller teams take it to the superstar squads out there assembled for ludicrous levels of money. As an example the list of Manchester City's spending on defense compared to some countries :lol:

When was the last time they actually took a decent hiding like a 4-1 or 4-0 under Poch? Even when they were not in this rich vein of form, im struggling to recall them taking a beating.

kthanksbye

Absolutely hated watching Spurs take the game to one of the heavyweights of Europe in their own backyard. The crisp, quick and decisive passing, composed first touches, smart turns under pressure. I'm envious of the football they play.

Now, I'm sure someone is going to mention their league position and trophy haul in the past few seasons compared to ours, but that's not the point. Even though we have won a cup and Europa and are second in the league, it does not take an expert to see that Spurs are on the right track in terms of their style of play, as opposed to us who look directionless and panic when we have the ball.