Spurs officially departed tonight

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Toby completely out at sea yesterday. One of Spurs worst players Vs Barcelona
Yeah not at his best, thought Son was flat as well and the only time Winks did anything in the first half was to give the ball away it seemed. In fairness I thought Winks had a decent 2nd half though. Oh and Lloris, still drunk? Hungover?

NK86

I think Arsenal would beat Spurs to top 4 this season. This is assuming Chelsea continue this form and don't start struggling. No disrespect to Man Utd but EPL currently does not have any leeway for chaos that is going on currently with 6 teams competing hard.
That's not disrespectful. That's a fact and more than half the caf would agree with you that if Jose remains in charge we aren't getting top 4.

Yeah not at his best, thought Son was flat as well and the only time Winks did anything in the first half was to give the ball away it seemed. In fairness I thought Winks had a decent 2nd half though. Oh and Lloris, still drunk? Hungover?
I forgot Son was even playing last night

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did Spurs copy Chelsea tactic of making ground look like potato field when they play Barca?

Micky Targaryen

Barca was clearly a class above Spurs tonight. Their third goal sums it up perfectly. The complete team awareness and chemistry for that goal is superb.

Ekeke

Oh for sure, plenty of players. I just focused on Toby because of how many posters wanted us to sign him

el3mel

He's looking to get sacked in time for the next madrid manager post
He won't be sacked. They will never find a better manager than him. He fecked it up with his contract renewal in summer instead of waiting a little bit.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
What is wrong with Lloris, seriously? How can such an experienced keeper make such bad mistakes? I think something's going on in his personal life (DUI, etc) and that affects his decision making on a pitch.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Didn’t watch the game, but imo there’s no shame in losing to Barca when you’re missing four key players. I dread to think of us vs Messi & co without Van Dijk, Milner, Wijnaldum and Mane.

Wayne's World

Didn’t watch the game, but imo there’s no shame in losing to Barca when you’re missing four key players. I dread to think of us vs Messi & co without Van Dijk, Milner, Wijnaldum and Mane.
Surprisingly didn't mention Salah or Firmino? Why?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Spurs are quite good and can play with the intricacy of snowflakes but when they come up against average to good teams and above they just melt like a bunch of snowflakes.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Was really proud of our effort last night, we got destroyed in the first half but we showed real fight in the second half.

At least they attempted to play football they just lacked a bit of quality in the end.

Ekeke

If we judged every defender on how Barca and specifically Messi ran rings round them there wouldn't be a defender in the history or future of football worth buying then...

I'm sure usually he is a decent defender
If you have to spend £70 million on a CB those are the nights you want him to look solid.

He looked solid against us, but that was his only good match this season and our attack is hardly the barometer for CBs who cost mega money, else we discovered about 10x £70 million CBs so far this season who have coped pretty well with us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought Spurs would still qualify but actually 9 points from PSV home & away and Inter at home may not be enough. Suspect they'll need at least a point from Barca away or hope the head to head with Inter goes in their favour

I don't understand why they kept sitting off Messi and leaving him in acres of space. It's fairly obvious everything goes through him.

- 1st goal - Alli (i think?) closed him down but then backed off to allow him all the time he wanted to pick his pass.
- 2nd goal - Moura let him run away from him without checking he was being picked up.
- 3rd goal - Wanyama looked like he just gave up on that run.
- 4th goal - criminal to let any player appear in that much space, let alone Messi.

One or two i get, he's that good he will always find space, but some of the defending was comical.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don't understand why they kept sitting off Messi and leaving him in acres of space. It's fairly obvious everything goes through him.

- 1st goal - Alli (i think?) closed him down but then backed off to allow him all the time he wanted to pick his pass.
- 2nd goal - Moura let him run away from him without checking he was being picked up.
- 4th goal - criminal to let any player appear in that much space, let alone Messi.

One or two i get, he's that good he will always find space, but some of the defending was comical.
yeah you would have thought after 627 goals and 257 assists in 775 games somebody would have figured it out by now...
certainly not ali on the 1st goal though - he wasnt playing last night

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I think from individual performances Kane was really good, dragged Spurs back into it with a deft feint into a turn and shoot. The advantage of being dangerous with both feet, you cant gain an edge by herding him onto his left or right. He chased down and won the ball just outside Barca's box which led to Lamela's deflected goal a couple passes later. All round a good performance, he is frighteningly good at his best.

Sissoko, what does he do? If you need a player to fire the ball into row Z bring him on, first touch of a rapist, poor passing and vision. I dont understand his purpose, great athlete, great engine, poor footballer.

Winks was a tale of two halves, poor in the first half, invisible apart from misplaced passes. Second half a lot better, he chased and harried, won the ball back, fired some balls around pushed forward with the ball at his feet more often.

Lamela and Moura also lively and dangerous, the more I see of Moura the more I like him, surprised a lot more teams were not in for him, went to Spurs for reasonably cheap.
It’s odd how we all see things differently.

Kane scored a half decent goal but his contribution to the wider game is no where near the standard he set in previous years. For me he seems to running in treacle he isn’t putting defenders in possession under any real pressure.

Both Winks and Wanyama are way off the standard and the fact is they are playing shows the lack of depth in Spurs squad.

Lloris looks almost a broken man. His walkabout for the first goal was commical.

Tripper is at the top of his game whereas Davies is not up to the standard.

The two central defenders were chasing shadows and yes Sanchez has a bit of pace but without Vertonghen he was remarkably easy to play around.

I will agree with you that Lucas seems a decent player but Son offered up little. Lamela tried hard but his effort was never going to bridge the difference in quality.

Barca played ok but they aren’t the team they were five years ago. Even then they had far too much for Spurs the score line could and should have been far wider.

Why oh why did Spurs go gung-ho from the first minute? If that was their game plan then someone really hasn’t been paying attention.

Missing Ali may have been an issue but it’s missing Erickson that really hurts Spurs without him the midfield is below average among the top 6 and as was witnessed last night it is a very easy line to pass through or around.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There's no shame in losing to Barcelona. They should be more disappointed by the result in Milan.

He didn't play last night

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
At least for us we cant really miss 4 best players as we dont have any. As it stands atm Mou would probably try the 6 defender approach vs Barca and still end up losing 3 nil.

Why oh why did Spurs go gung-ho from the first minute? If that was their game plan then someone really hasn’t been paying attention.
I think it's the case like playing against Man City, can you really defend against an attack of Messi, Suarez, Coutinho with the FB's pushed up to provide width by conceding possession, crowding your box and playing deep for 90mins? Or do you go out and try and make a game of it? You might sit deep and lose 1-0, 2-0 or you could make a game of it and lose 4-2. Making a game of it certainly makes it a better spectacle also for the viewer.

For missing a bunch of key players, Alli, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen Spurs I thought made a fist of it in the second half. Were not at the races in the first and some calamitous goal keeping from the drunkard Lloris gifted Barca a goal. As if Barcelona need a free goal head start.

tomaldinho1

Yeah a really weird yardstick for a £70 million CB, big matches. As long as he does okay against Huddersfield he's worth the money right?
To go out of your way to point out that people wanted to sign him after a bad performance against Messi & co is a bit rich. Even if we forget that to Spurs were without key players, including Toby's preferred CB partner, and most of them struggled... it just smacks of being a knee jerk reaction.

Now, if he sustained that level of lower performance (as our CBs annoyingly endeavor to do) you would have a point but generally he is excellent.

To go out of your way to point out that people wanted to sign him after a bad performance against Messi & co is a bit rich. Even if we forget that to Spurs were without key players, including Toby's preferred CB partner, and most of them struggled... it just smacks of being a knee jerk reaction.

Now, if he sustained that level of lower performance (as our CBs annoyingly endeavor to do) you would have a point but generally he is excellent.
It does considering he was part of the team that beat RM last season.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

I wouldnt have minded Alderweireld, not 70mil minded granted. But a technical ball playing CB is what Mou seemed to want in the team. I feel we could have got him with a swap for Martial and some cash coming our way as Mou didnt seem to have Martial in his plans moving forward.

And against Messi and co yeah, feel free to find a backline Barca hasnt embarrassed at some point. Didnt help that Lloris still seemed drunk behind the CB's, didnt Alderweireld bail Lloris out after mistake number 2 or 3? Sanchez was a bit at sea as well, but he is only young, these kind of games will be excellent experience for a young CB.

Ekeke

Again, if we buy a CB for £70 million those are the nights he would need to do well. It doesnt cost that much to improve on Lindelof against midtable teams

It didnt take much to point out that Toby was poor. Just looked on the football forum and typed a few letters.

A knee jerk reaction is something that happens suddenly. That would be you thinking he's a good signing for £70 million and deciding he isnt based on 1 game. Not me always saying its way too much money and he isn't an amazing defender and then saying the same again after a poor match.

And again, he had a good game against us but other than that Toby has been distinctly average this season. Just like last season.

EyeInTheSky

If you have to spend £70 million on a CB those are the nights you want him to look solid.

He looked solid against us, but that was his only good match this season and our attack is hardly the barometer for CBs who cost mega money, else we discovered about 10x £70 million CBs so far this season who have coped pretty well with us.
Bizarre way of looking at it.

Hes made world class individuals and entire teams look like mugs.

tomaldinho1

Again, if we buy a CB for £70 million those are the nights he would need to do well. It doesnt cost that much to improve on Lindelof against midtable teams

It didnt take much to point out that Toby was poor. Just looked on the football forum and typed a few letters.

A knee jerk reaction is something that happens suddenly. That would be you thinking he's a good signing for £70 million and deciding he isnt based on 1 game. Not me always saying its way too much money and he isn't an amazing defender and then saying the same again after a poor match.

And again, he had a good game against us but other than that Toby has been distinctly average this season. Just like last season.
Last season was a weird one because he was injured and out for a long time and then everyone thought he was angling for a move, which annoyed Poch and meant he was dropped.

This season I think he's been decent - last night I think he was average (their whole team was) but again Tottenham aren't at the level of Barcelona so they were going to be under constant pressure. Having said that, the first goal is very avoidable (Lloris at fault), the second is a worldly volley, third isn't his man (he's actually marking Suarez well) and fourth is avoidable (Wanyama? I think at fault) and on the opposite side of the pitch to him.

edgar allan

Can you imagine Barcelona playing us with our defence? we would get the hiding of all hidings.

3pwood

Missing 4 players and with their GK completely mad, they were chasing the result from the start. They pressed well but like some people already said, silly and avoidable defensive mistakes.

When Tottenham pressed you could see that the Barcelona players were a bit uncomfortable, they (Barcelona) won't go far this season as well imo

tentan

Poor man's poster.
What is wrong with Lloris, seriously? How can such an experienced keeper make such bad mistakes?
It was crazy to play him against Barcelona of all teams straightaway after being out for so long.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Toby completely out at sea yesterday. One of Spurs worst players Vs Barcelona
He hasn't been himself since his injury last season. It sounded biased when Spurs fans were saying that part of the reason he wasn't playing last season was genuinely his performances (and not just the contract situation) but it was true. He put in some terrible performances last season, including against lower league opposition, after his injury.

Bit better so far this season though.

Not completely surprised with the performance or result. Missing Vertonghen, Dembele, Alli and Eriksen was always going to make it difficult. Was more surprised at the fight we showed to come back as much as we did.

Doubt we'll get out of the group now to be honest. It isn't impossible but we'll need to pick up 6 points from PSV in a pretty brutal run of games over the next few weeks. Can't see it.