g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Spurs officially departed tonight

Ekeke

He hasn't been himself since his injury last season. It sounded biased when Spurs fans were saying that part of the reason he wasn't playing last season was genuinely his performances (and not just the contract situation) but it was true. He put in some terrible performances last season, including against lower league opposition, after his injury.

Bit better so far this season though.

Not completely surprised with the performance or result. Missing Vertonghen, Dembele, Alli and Eriksen was always going to make it difficult. Was more surprised at the fight we showed to come back as much as we did.

Doubt we'll get out of the group now to be honest. It isn't impossible but we'll need to pick up 6 points from PSV in a pretty brutal run of games over the next few weeks. Can't see it.
Yeah thats what it looked like to me as well.

As far as I'm concerned he wasnt impressive last season and thats probably where those comments about being our 5th choice CB if we signed him, or whatever, came from. Statistically at least he had some huge gaps in his game.

I'm far from convinced about him defensively but I won't lie. He had a good game against us and was probably the best CB on the pitch that day. But from what I've seen thats the only time he's looked good defensively this season. Still very glad we didn't sign him for mega money. Honestly I think Maguire has looked more impressive this season and I didn't want us signing him for huge money either. But he's the one who has looked better to me so far this season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is Poch feeling the pressure this year? He's been moaning non bloody stop.

ZAGREB RED

I thought in the end 4-2 flattered Spurs as Barcelona were on a different level altogether and could easily have won by 5 or 6. I don't think any Spurs player played well in that game, they were chasing shadows almost the entire game, some players looked well out of their depth.
None of the Spurs players you would normally look to for some inspiration in a tough game like this showed up at all.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I thought in the end 4-2 flattered Spurs as Barcelona were on a different level altogether and could easily have won by 5 or 6. I don't think any Spurs player played well in that game, they were chasing shadows almost the entire game, some players looked well out of their depth.
None of the Spurs players you would normally look to for some inspiration in a tough game like this showed up at all.
That is because half of them were in the treatment room in fairness!

I do agree that 4-2 flattered us, Barcelona were by far the better team. Yet football is funny and Barcelona definitely looked quite uncomfortable at 3-2, with Lucas missing a good chance to equalise. Very fine margins in these kinds of games.

And I know it goes the other way and we could have been 4/5 down by that point.

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah thats what it looked like to me as well.

As far as I'm concerned he wasnt impressive last season and thats probably where those comments about being our 5th choice CB if we signed him, or whatever, came from. Statistically at least he had some huge gaps in his game.

I'm far from convinced about him defensively but I won't lie. He had a good game against us and was probably the best CB on the pitch that day. But from what I've seen thats the only time he's looked good defensively this season. Still very glad we didn't sign him for mega money. Honestly I think Maguire has looked more impressive this season and I didn't want us signing him for huge money either. But he's the one who has looked better to me so far this season.
I think you guys would have made a huge mistake signing Toby for 70 million last summer. You'd have been signing the Toby if today (still a great defender overall) and hoping he becomes the Toby of two seasons ago, or at least before his injury. Good chance that doesn't necessarily happen.

Which may be why you only offered 40 million max (or, if many media reports are to be believed, didn't make an offer at all).

I also wonder if his clause had something to do with it from his perspective. He'll be able to get a higher wage next summer than he would this summer just gone most likely if the buying club is spending 25 mil only.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Kane scored a great goal and sprayed some good passes around. Thought he played pretty well in the second half .. he did his job.

Our spine bar Kane was basically torn out, even some of the worlds best teams would struggle under those circumstances against a team like Barcelona. With our depth issues it was always going to hit hard, we were relying on Winks and Wanyama to hold down the middle, and neither have had a good run of games in a while. Then you're taking away Vertonghen who was one of our most reliable players last season, and instead partner Sanchez with Toby. Then you have Eriksen and Alli out who are two of our biggest attacking/creative threats, so really it's no surprise Barcelona were on a different level. Nobody in our defence or midfield looked comfortable, Lloris was nervy and only just returning after injury, the CB partnership is pretty untested aside from in the 3, and the midfield was missing several of its key influences.

I came away not too unhappy with the result under those circumstances, sure I was furious with some of the defending against Messi but we showed fight in the second half but were simply outclassed. Like others have said, it was the result vs Inter that was the real kick in the teeth, an absolute joke to lose after leading till the 85th minute. That's really fecked our CL campaign, you simply cannot throw away games like that and hope to qualify. Now we need to be perfect and even then it isn't in our own hands.

ZAGREB RED

Kane scored a great goal and sprayed some good passes around. Thought he played pretty well in the second half .. he did his job.

Our spine bar Kane was basically torn out, even some of the worlds best teams would struggle under those circumstances against a team like Barcelona. With our depth issues it was always going to hit hard, we were relying on Winks and Wanyama to hold down the middle, and neither have had a good run of games in a while. Then you're taking away Vertonghen who was one of our most reliable players last season, and instead partner Sanchez with Toby. Then you have Eriksen and Alli out who are two of our biggest attacking/creative threats, so really it's no surprise Barcelona were on a different level. Nobody in our defence or midfield looked comfortable, Lloris was nervy and only just returning after injury, the CB partnership is pretty untested aside from in the 3, and the midfield was missing several of its key influences.

I came away not too unhappy with the result under those circumstances, sure I was furious with some of the defending against Messi but we showed fight in the second half but were simply outclassed. Like others have said, it was the result vs Inter that was the real kick in the teeth, an absolute joke to lose after leading till the 85th minute. That's really fecked our CL campaign, you simply cannot throw away games like that and hope to qualify. Now we need to be perfect and even then it isn't in our own hands.
Yeah, sorry to the Spurs fans replying to my post, on reading it back it sounds as though I was just being dismissive and rubbishing them. At 2-1 and 3-2 I thought there was a chance that Spurs might get something and yes, the absence of key players was a big factor. Wanyama and Winks were over-run in the middle and Lloris had a few mad moments. On another day, with a full strength side, I think Spurs would have made a much better fist of things.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What did he say?
Had a go at Martinez because he disclosed that Vertonghen wasn't called up due to injury. He's been in the news this season a lot of times though for negative reasons mostly tbh.

Cloud7

Not to jump on the bandwagon or anything, but why is Lloris rated as highly as he is? I’ve really never seen him be anything more than decent with moments of madness in him for both club and country.

CA1

It's not really their managers or players fault though is it?

Football is won off the pitch with money. Spurs' squad has just gradually got worse every year since 15/16 due to a lack of investment.

Not really rocket science is it?

Same as Arsenal a few years ago.

Tibs

Soon as Spurs are out, we should make a move for Poch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's not really their managers or players fault though is it?

Football is won off the pitch with money. Spurs' squad has just gradually got worse every year since 15/16 due to a lack of investment.

Not really rocket science is it?

Same as Arsenal a few years ago.
That's just not true though is it? I agree on the signings though and it was an absolute shambles over the summer. Somehow we have managed our best ever start to a Premiership season despite all this and I have no idea how.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not to jump on the bandwagon or anything, but why is Lloris rated as highly as he is? I’ve really never seen him be anything more than decent with moments of madness in him for both club and country.
He has been incredibly shaky this season. He is still a very good keeper though but damn when he fecks up he fecks up big time.

CA1

That's just not true though is it? I agree on the signings though and it was an absolute shambles over the summer. Somehow we have managed our best ever start to a Premiership season despite all this and I have no idea how.
With the money needed to really improve a football team in top level football now, yes it is true.

Just papering over the cracks. Spurs haven't got the money and/or vision to improve much more.

I'm not slagging you off, it's true for United, Arsenal etc at the moment

Cloud7

He has been incredibly shaky this season. He is still a very good keeper though but damn when he fecks up he fecks up big time.
Fair play as you will have watched him more often than me, but I’ve always found him to be a shaky keeper. He just doesn’t inspire confidence in me, but my opinion may just be from the games I’ve watched.

Moriarty

Football is won off the pitch with money.
I never thought I'd ever agree with a sentiment like this one, but I think you're right; at least in some respects. If it was solely about money spent on players, we'd be European champions, but it's a lot more than that. Mansour has spent a ton of money, but look what he's spent on infrastructure and getting his plan for City implemented. He brought in the right football men to set things up for when Guardiola was available and it has paid dividends.

Jojo <3 Mou

With the money needed to really improve a football team in top level football now, yes it is true.

Just papering over the cracks. Spurs haven't got the money and/or vision to improve much more.

Just for information sake, which positions do Spurs need to improve in? Which "players" are they missing?

With United, it's so obvious that even a blind person can see it. With Spurs, what are these signings?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

If our squad has been progressively getting worse for the last 3 years perhaps you can explain how our league position has generally remained the same with top 4 finishes each year?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Fair play as you will have watched him more often than me, but I’ve always found him to be a shaky keeper. He just doesn’t inspire confidence in me, but my opinion may just be from the games I’ve watched.
I used to be a huge defender of Lloris, but last season/the start of this one he's been really, really shaky. He had a brilliant game vs West Ham, won us the three points and then goes straight back to being a mess for the next game. He just inspires no confidence from his defenders at the moment.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I used to be a huge defender of Lloris, but last season/the start of this one he's been really, really shaky. He had a brilliant game vs West Ham, won us the three points and then goes straight back to being a mess for the next game. He just inspires no confidence from his defenders at the moment.
You have to wonder if the whole drink driving thing has affected him in some way. He looks quite error prone this years, more than usual.

CA1

Just for information sake, which positions do Spurs need to improve in? Which "players" are they missing?
Well you tell me mate.

They're absolutely nowhere near winning the Premier League or European Cup so things are wrong with their team. The manager is good and has them batting above their average.

CA1

If our squad has been progressively getting worse for the last 3 years perhaps you can explain how our league position has generally remained the same with top 4 finishes each year?
You're further away from winning the league than 3 years ago because of City's constant spending, Liverpool's spending, even we've signed a load of old shit and finished above you last year and did you in the cup Semi.

It's a game of money.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well you tell me mate.

They're absolutely nowhere near winning the Premier League or European Cup so things are wrong with their team. The manager is good and has them batting above their average.
That is an odd thing to say. Spurs have not been near winning the European Cup of the league (bar one season) for about 50 years. Doesn't mean things are wrong with the team, just means we haven't the resources of the Utds, City's, Liverpool's of the world.

Jojo <3 Mou

Well you tell me mate.

Well, you were the one that suggest they were missing investments.

I don't think that they are missing anything. They have slowly plugged most of their gaps and improved their bench. With a better coach they would have won things.

Worst, their team is aging and in another 2 years they may need to rebuild.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're further away from winning the league than 3 years ago because of City's constant spending, Liverpool's spending, even we've signed a load of old shit and finished above you last year and did you in the cup Semi.

It's a game of money.
Yet we are in our best ever start to a premier league in our history and only 2 points off City and Liverpool. If that is further away then I'll take it.

James Peril

You have played West Ham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Brighton, Watford, Fulham and Newcastle, that’s why. Basically all the teams fighting for relegation. You beat United impresssively (which is no huge feat this season), and lost comfortably at home to Liverpool. You also lost to Watford. Now Spurs have City, Chelsea and Arsenal over the next few weeks, let’s see how that goes. A «best ever start» is down to easy fixtures, it’s always important to have an easy start to gain momentum.

Out of the CL before November, that’s impressive however.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You have played West Ham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Brighton, Watford, Fulham and Newcastle, that’s why. Basically all the teams fighting for relegation. You beat United impresssively (which is no huge feat this season), and lost comfortably at home to Liverpool. You also lost to Watford. Now Spurs have City, Chelsea and Arsenal over the next few weeks, let’s see how that goes. A «best ever start» is down to easy fixtures, it’s always important to have an easy start to gain momentum.

Out of the CL before November, that’s impressive however.
We have played a ton of away games also, don't forget that. You can't deny the actual facts though, we are only 2 points off the top.

CA1

@balaks

You'll finish 22 points at least behind City and you're going out of the Cl at the group stages.

I'm not even digging Spurs out, I don't mind them at all. But it's just not going to happen.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@balaks

You'll finish 22 points at least behind City and you're going out of the Cl at the group stages.

I'm not even digging Spurs out, I don't mind them at all. But it's just not going to happen.
I don't disagree but people going on and on about how much worse we are this season then ignoring or trying to discount the fact that we have had the best ever premier league start despite having to play a ton of away games is kinda frustrating. Do I think we will win the league? Nope - do I think we are dramatically worse this year? Nope - early days but we still look a good team although not playing at our best yet.

cyberman

I don't disagree but people going on and on about how much worse we are this season then ignoring or trying to discount the fact that we have had the best ever premier league start despite having to play a ton of away games is kinda frustrating. Do I think we will win the league? Nope - do I think we are dramatically worse this year? Nope - early days but we still look a good team although not playing at our best yet.
But theres a pattern for your wins though..shit game and you nick a goal. Its simply not sustainable, it reminds me of Utd after Christmas from last year.

CA1

Yeah, I agree you're a good team.

I'm actually frustrated as a football fan to see that team not invested in and built on into a great team.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But theres a pattern for your wins though..shit game and you nick a goal. Its simply not sustainable, it reminds me of Utd after Christmas from last year.
I agree we have yet to really hit our stride yet but that is in my opinion due to injuries in the squad to key players (Alli, Eriksen, Rose, Verts, etc.) and a bit of poor form. We have ground out the results which is fine by me.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, I agree you're a good team.

I'm actually frustrated as a football fan to see that team not invested in and built on into a great team.
Me too, I was absolutely gutted when we signed nobody this summer - I still can't get my head around it. I just hope we can sign one or two in January and then bring in some fresh players in the summer.

James Peril

We have played a ton of away games also, don't forget that. You can't deny the actual facts though, we are only 2 points off the top.
Nope, not denying that at all. But you will not be in a few weeks, and hopefully United will have caught a few points. If we don’t after you’ve played Arsenal, top four is definitely on for Spurs and it’s off for us.