g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Spurs officially departed tonight

L1nk

They'll always be an almost team, punching above their weight, because they just can't invest like the rest of the teams at the top, if I was Pochettino I would honestly leave, the fact they invested nothing in summer is mind blowing, and their bare bones squad is showing now what with Son, Kane etc out. Pochettino has done all he can, but he's no miracle worker, they need investment, big time, and i'd be surprised if it comes this summer.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Serves that penny pinching scrote Levy right.

Failure to invest in the summer left them with a paper-thin squad and they'll continue to pay the price until the end of the season. Even if the new stadium has a cheese room, who gives a feck if they crumble at the first sign of pressure/ injuries.

Alderweireld and Eriksen running down their contracts doesn't bode well for them either. That's at least £100 million+ of talent they'll have to replace.

Spurs will always be an 'almost' team.
I agree they have a fantastic first 11, if they just fleshed out that squad with 2 to 3 quality players they'd be a real force. Almost feels like they've missed their chance now, with the contract issues with some of their best players i doubt they'll spend the necessary money to replace them adequately.

vodrake

People get touchy about the "b" word, but Spur's record in Semis and Finals is pretty abysmal

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
I agree they have a fantastic first 11, if they just fleshed out that squad with 2 to 3 quality players they'd be a real force. Almost feels like they've missed their chance now, with the contract issues with some of their best players i doubt they'll spend the necessary money to replace them adequately.
They have some fantastic players but a fantastic first 11? I don’t agree with that at all. Dier, Trippier, Davis, Winks and Lemela. Anything but fantastic.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yep.

They completely failed psychologically in the shoot-out - experienced first team regular not even hitting the target...

Whenever there's a crucial, and tangible moment to 'bottle it', you know they'll find a way.

Just not a club that wins trophies.
Honestly this is some laughable shit. Keep it coming.

Habs

Exactly as expected. Just dont have it in them to win a trophy even during their best years. Nothing team.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're not a club that wins trophies - do you disagree?

1st team regulars should be hitting the target in a penalty shoot-out - do you disagree?

You have a culture of bottling it that runs through your club. That's not my fault, or yours, but it's true.
Yeah they should. Guess what though, they are human beings who can screw up. Just because someone missed a penalty doesn't mean they are psychologically flawed which is an outrageously ridiculous claim. Absolutely fecking hilarious.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Better players than Dier have ballooned penalties before. Does not make him a bottler. The bottlers are the ones who don't put themselves forward to take one.
Failing to hit the target, when the ground doesn't give way etc - is bottling it.

It's that his psychological state was too weak to keep it together.

He bottled it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Failing to hit the target, when the ground doesn't give way etc - is bottling it.

He bottled it.
Brilliant. I'm going to pass this on to the psychologist I work with in work tomorrow. Clearly you could teach them something.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
You're not a club that wins trophies - do you disagree?

1st team regulars should be hitting the target in a penalty shoot-out - do you disagree?

You have a culture of bottling it that runs through your club. That's not my fault, or yours, but it's true.
Someone has to eventually miss or Penalty Shooutouts would never end.

Pagh Wraith

He bottled it.
Absolute nonsense. Say he was aiming for just below the crossbar (as you should) and if he misshits it'll go either 50 cm higher or lower. You wouldn't say a word if the latter happened as it was "on target".

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah they should. Guess what though, they are human beings who can screw up. Just because someone missed a penalty doesn't mean they are psychologically flawed which is an outrageously ridiculous claim. Absolutely fecking hilarious.
It's just what is said whenever we lose, regardless of circumstances. If Spurs lose the cliche is that it's because we're mentally weak, so that must always apply. It's just laziness, nothing more or less.

We battled hard tonight and showed spirit to get back in to the tie, but anybody can miss a penalty. Eric Dier took - and scored - the penalty to win England's first shootout in forever and he's being accused of being 'psychologically flawed'. Can you imagine the pressure he was under when he stepped up to take that one? It takes serious balls to make that walk and score, and to take it again tonight shows he is clearly not a player to shy away from pressure.

We'll ignore all that though, because a defensive midfielder missed the target in a penalty shootout so he's now mentally weak.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yep.

They completely failed psychologically in the shoot-out - experienced first team regular not even hitting the target...

Whenever there's a crucial, and tangible moment to 'bottle it', you know they'll find a way.

Just not a club that wins trophies.
I was being facetious posting it. Love posting it when spurs mess up.

But i agree. Something missing from them, granted they are missing players.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What? If he doesn't hit the ball the way he wants then he has no control if it goes higher and lower.

I think Jorginho's penalty was much worse but nobody will talk about it because it went in.
If that had been saved he would have been roasted like he was roasted by song when spurs played chelsea in the PL.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He missed the target - his penalty wasn't saved.
Cristiano Ronaldo has put penalties off target numerous times in his career, vs the likes of Sociedad, Barcelona and West Ham. He's probably one of the most mentally strong players in world football, and extraordinarily gifted in terms of his ability to score goals, one of the best in all of history in that respect.

Calling in to question a defensive midfielders mental strength because he stepped up and put one penalty off target in a cup is ridiculous. Surely you can see that?

Shit happens in penalty shootouts. You get your technique not quite right and you can easily hit it off target if you're going for power.

GeorgieBoy

The game in isolation means nothing.
The cumulative results in semi-finals and finals does though. They just can't win anything.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They have some fantastic players but a fantastic first 11? I don’t agree with that at all. Dier, Trippier, Davis, Winks and Lemela. Anything but fantastic.
Winks and Lamela definitely aren't in their first XI. feck knows how Davies is mind, absolute shite in a Cornetto, no noticeable strengths to his game whatsoever. Makes Darmian look like a flair player.

Pagh Wraith

If that had been saved he would have been roasted like he was roasted by song when spurs played chelsea in the PL.
Rightly so. Azpilicueta's penalty is the one everyone should study and emulate.

Here's an interesting image. The xG values for penalties when the keeper dives the right way. Gives you an idea that this wasn't clever by Jorginho. Although I enjoyed it when it went in. :D

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The game in isolation means nothing.
The cumulative results in semi-finals and finals does though. They just can't win anything.
They will win five games in a row and then lose one when they are expected to win.

When we won the Europa, they got knocked out by Gent or Genk I think. They have these sort of brainfart performances.

City just have something more whatever Pep does, because spurs have really good players.

Granted the there is a lot of competition. They cannot seem to dig out results. I have seen liverpool play poorly this season in some games yet they win because they grind out a result.