Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Can't wait to try this, but am so busy with work that I will wait for the 6th.

Very curious about trying out the doors. I think they were pretty decent in Skyrim, so if Bethesda exceeded that here I can only dream :drool:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Well, I’m just gonna make a horlicks (nippy here tonight) and off to bed for a few hours and setting my alarm for kick off.

Can’t wait, even after going against my instincts and reading this thread.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sounds like one I can wait on whilst the modders get their hands on it.

Not that I'm disappointed; Skyrim in space is not a bad thing.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm still hyped, and jealous of you getting to do that!

Plus, the doors are the new sandwiches :drool:
I always dreamed of doors and sandwiches when first reading about this game. Happy days.

I agree with you, I’m still hyped. I’m used to disliking games others love and loving games others hate so I’m still really optimistic.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I always dreamed of doors and sandwiches when first reading about this game. Happy days.

I agree with you, I’m still hyped. I’m used to disliking games others love and loving games others hate so I’m still really optimistic.
Well even though the reviews are basically saying what deep down we all knew, this is basically Skyrim in space, nothing more nor less, the space part and what I've seen still have me ridiculously hyped to start it.

I honestly can't even work myself out at times :lol:

Sounds like one I can wait on whilst the modders get their hands on it.

Not that I'm disappointed; Skyrim in space is not a bad thing.
This is definitely going to be like Skyrim. Vanilla is mid-decent at best, but with 100+ mods it will be absolutely outstanding.

Shark

@NotShark
TW3 isn't really a sandbox and RDR2 can be considering a light one but in a different way to Zelda. Zelda lives and dies on people's creativity and what you can come do with it. You are given the tools and left to get on with it, and it all works, that's real sandbox. It's like Gmod on PC, absolutely wonderful game but you'd play it and wonder what the feck it is and give up in minutes. Those games, like any genre, aren't for everyone.

Starfield has had a lot of hype about it's sandbox nature, but it turns out it's heavily restricted on that front. Which is a big shame, and it is a lot like CP and Bioshock:Infinite where they promised all sorts of wonderful stuff and come up short. That doesn't mean it's not going to be a great game though, but it definitely is weird at just how restrictive some of the aspects like space travel is considering they made a huge deal about the ships and building them.

That's fair, I totally get that the creativity side of exploration in Zelda is a huge asset, and keeps people interested for sure. However my point still stands in regards to reviewers lack of critique in areas it does fall short as an open world experience, and especially if we are going to be bringing the big boys like RDR2 and TW3 to the table as benchmarks. As you say though they're different types of experiences.

Nope. Look in the Xbox thread at the video Damo posted. It's woefully static, the area above planets are basically rooms.
I see it now. Woefully static is right, definitely not what I expected and something mods can really address.

Bebe

Reading a few reviews makes it sound like exactly what you'd expect from a big, mainline Bethesda title. As some have pointed out in here, that formula probably worked better in 2011 than it does today.

It sounds like the biggest annoyances will be easily modded out on PC (ie inventory systems and such). I'll likely get gamepass for a couple months to play this on XSX, and then buy it down the road on PC when I've done some upgrades and play a modded out version in a year or two.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I don't understand people who like inventory management in games. I'd be happy if there was a universal setting on every game that allows me to carry unlimited items with no cost.

Redlambs

I see it now. Woefully static is right, definitely not what I expected and something mods can really address.
Sadly, I don't see that aspect being modded. It's not like you can open it up, there's literally nothing there, each area is treated as just that. A separate room/dungeon/area loaded in where you don't actually move in it, anything there moves around you. Very archaic.

So it would need additions to the engine and assets that would take a whole load of work. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

I don't understand people who like inventory management in games. I'd be happy if there was a universal setting on every game that allows me to carry unlimited items with no cost.
Yeah, you are all about making everything as easy and dumbed as possible!

But in seriousness I think the issue here is how backwards the system is, it's ridiculously dated to even the late 90's to not be able to pass stuff between characters without opening/closing loads of menus. Classic Bethesda and an example of something that will definitely be modded in no time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Huh, what's the bloody point of customised ships if you can't actually... Fly them? Bang goes any enthusiasm I had for playing this.

Another crappy Bethesda game. Hopefully getting it out of their system so they actually decide to make a decent game for the next Elder Scrolls in 20 years time.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm going to play it because it's on GamePass. I will also mainline it and finish it in 20 hours.

Redlambs

Huh, what's the bloody point of customised ships if you can't actually... Fly them? Bang goes any enthusiasm I had for playing this.

Another crappy Bethesda game. Hopefully getting it out of their system so they actually decide to make a decent game for the next Elder Scrolls in 20 years time.
It is rather bizarre how basic the space stuff is. What's the point of 1000 planets then? None of them are even actually modelled.

It's not even the limitations that is the most interesting thing to me, it's how they've seemingly done it. I can't be 100% sure until I play it myself, but those videos posted earlier show some incredibly dated techniques to handle basic movement and space dogfights. You can see with the movement "towards" other objects.

The sad thing is, there are Roblox games that do all this stuff way better. From starship building to space dogfights, that engine handles way more on a much more advanced level than this.

All this being said, I'm rushing through work tomorrow to start this :lol:

(Still hit me up if we are going to do some Forest 2 shenanigans too)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It is rather bizarre how basic the space stuff is. What's the point of 1000 planets then? None of them are even actually modelled.

It's not even the limitations that is the most interesting thing to me, it's how they've seemingly done it. I can't be 100% sure until I play it myself, but those videos posted earlier show some incredibly dated techniques to handle basic movement and space dogfights. You can see with the movement "towards" other objects.

The sad thing is, there are Roblox games that do all this stuff way better. From starship building to space dogfights, that engine handles way more on a much more advanced level than this.

All this being said, I'm rushing through work tomorrow to start this :lol:

(Still hit me up if we are going to do some Forest 2 shenanigans too)
It’s funny that a lot of people (including a few in this very thread) were giving shit to The Outer Worlds (and rightly so maybe) for being so basic in its space exploration and you just fast travelling to every planet so the space aspect really means nothing, and it turns out this is the exact same :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
The typical Bethesda experience is no longer the prime open world experience it was in 2011 though.
It's funny you say that, because as I recall this was pretty much the reaction Skyrim got as well. "It's lifeless compared to Oblivion". And I can't remember specifics, but I bet Oblivion was also unfavourably compared to Daggerfall.

I just think people were expecting too much, and so it was literally impossible for them to not get disappointed. If this is just space-Skyrim with modern graphics and QoL stuff, I'll be thrilled. It doesn't need to be anything more to me.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Atleast we have No Man's Sky.
If that's the comparison, you have to give Starfield a lot of time and effort to come right, because that's what it took for No Man's Sky. I mean I assume, I haven't actually played it. When the lead developer was caught outright lying about his game, I lost all interest and it hasn't returned.

Massive Spanner

It's funny you say that, because as I recall this was pretty much the reaction Skyrim got as well. "It's lifeless compared to Oblivion". And I can't remember specifics, but I bet Oblivion was also unfavourably compared to Daggerfall.

I just think people were expecting too much, and so it was literally impossible for them to not get disappointed. If this is just space-Skyrim with modern graphics and QoL stuff, I'll be thrilled. It doesn't need to be anything more to me.
That doesnt seem right? Skyrim had way better reviews. I think a lot of the criticism was that it was actually a bit dumbed down compared to the older Older Scrolls games but overall it was seen as a bit of a landmark game from the get go and the hype was off the rails when it got released.

Redlambs

It’s funny that a lot of people (including a few in this very thread) were giving shit to The Outer Worlds (and rightly so maybe) for being so basic in its space exploration and you just fast travelling to every planet so the space aspect really means nothing, and it turns out this is the exact same :lol:
Not unpredictable though.

As usual the huge bullshit hype from the likes of Howard hasn't helped. That explains that open letter to the reviewers too...

Qol stuff?

Yeah, about that...:lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
That doesnt seem right? Skyrim had way better reviews. I think a lot of the criticism was that it was actually a bit dumbed down compared to the older Older Scrolls games but overall it was seen as a bit of a landmark game from the get go and the hype was off the rails when it got released.
Cyberpunk had amazing reviews on release, didn't it? Not that Skyrim is comparable to that, specifically, but I do remember it being criticized more after a time. Also 88 on Metacritic is still really good.

Massive Spanner

Cyberpunk had amazing reviews on release, didn't it? Not that Skyrim is comparable to that, specifically, but I do remember it being criticized more after a time. Also 88 on Metacritic is still really good.
The trajectory of Skyrim after released and Cyberpunk couldn’t be any different. One is one of the biggest games of all time and the other is still seen as a massive failure!

I do think this will be good, it’s just funny when yet again the hype train goes overboard for a game and it ends up missing loads of what was promised. I’ll definitely play it at some point and I’m sure I’ll enjoy it but it was never going to be the ground breaking game it was hyped up to be.

Redlambs

This is correct. It WAS dumbed and the criticism was that is actually changed genre. But it was hyped up and considered a great game by most from the off.

If that's the comparison, you have to give Starfield a lot of time and effort to come right, because that's what it took for No Man's Sky. I mean I assume, I haven't actually played it. When the lead developer was caught outright lying about his game, I lost all interest and it hasn't returned.
One could argue there's a lot about Starfield that has mislead people.

The difference is, Bethesda are unlikely to "fix" the core issues, modders will do most of the work (though they can't fix the space travel problem).

Perfect example of why reviews should never be taken as gospel. The reviews for this are the same, most of what they say doesn't actually match up to the scores given. Even that positive video Spanner posted has parts that attempt to put a positive spin in the issues others have pointed out, but you know he agrees.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The trajectory of Skyrim after released and Cyberpunk couldn’t be any different. One is one of the biggest games of all time and the other is still seen as a massive failure!
I'm not sure about that. There went a lot of work into Cyberpunk post-release (rightly, since it wasn't actually finished when they released it in the first place). I think Cyberpunk will go down in history as a cautionary tale as far as early releases go (and expectations to go with it), but also as something that eventually did get really good. It's a very good game now, and supposedly (:nervous:) the new patch and DLC are going to make it even better.

I do think this will be good, it’s just funny when yet again the hype train goes overboard for a game and it ends up missing loads of what was promised. I’ll definitely play it at some point and I’m sure I’ll enjoy it but it was never going to be the ground breaking game it was hyped up to be.
That's pretty much where I'm at too.

Massive Spanner

I'm not sure about that. There went a lot of work into Cyberpunk post-release (rightly, since it wasn't actually finished when they released it in the first place). I think Cyberpunk will go down in history as a cautionary tale as far as early releases go (and expectations to go with it), but also as something that eventually did get really good. It's a very good game now, and supposedly (:nervous:) the new patch and DLC are going to make it even better.

That's pretty much where I'm at too.
The problem with Cyberpunk isn’t that it was released too early and therefore it was buggy or felt a bit rushed out, a lot of games do that actually and don’t suffer the sort of backlash it did (Baldurs Gate 3 for example). The problem is that they didn’t in any way release the game that was promised. It was basically missing everything they promised it would have and the whole world was empty and lifeless. There are certainly aspects of the game I’m sure they have fixed since then in the near 3 years since release, sure, but if you look back at what CDPR said it would be vs what it is, even now, I guarantee it’s still nowhere near it.

if anything the performance issues on ps4 and Xbox actually helped detract from the fact that the game itself was a shadow of what CDPR were supposed to actually deliver.

Redlambs

It seems exactly what most assumed it would be: Space Skyrim. Big, impressive as a whole, but mostly same old with nothing new and pedestrian gameplay.

That's not even necessarily a bad thing either, there is a certain charm to their games and there's plenty of heart in them. The fact it's not a bugged mess is outstanding and proved us all wrong too :lol:

I'm still eager to play it. The space stuff certainly has dampened my enthusiasm though, they've clearly cut corners in the worst possible place for me.

The problem with Cyberpunk isn’t that it was released too early and therefore it was buggy or felt a bit rushed out, a lot of games do that actually and don’t suffer the sort of backlash it did (Baldurs Gate 3 for example). The problem is that they didn’t in any way release the game that was promised. It was basically missing everything they promised it would have and the whole world was empty and lifeless. There are certainly aspects of the game I’m sure they have fixed since then in the near 3 years since release, sure, but if you look back at what CDPR said it would be vs what it is, even now, I guarantee it’s still nowhere near it.
It absolutely is nowhere near it. It's still not even that great of a game in terms of gameplay at least.

In fact numerous reviewers of Starfield have said that at least the gunplay is this is better than Cyberpunk. Which about says it all :lol:

Lemoor

As long as making absurd hype gets Bethesda good sales it will keep happening with their games.

Massive Spanner

Can we take a moment to pause and remember that we were told that this could only do 30fps in the series X cause it was doing things no other game had done before :lol: @Alock1 why?

Redlambs

Can we take a moment to pause and remember that we were told that this could only do 30fps in the series X cause it was doing things no other game had done before :lol: @Alock1 why?
"I never said that, I said might be bad but it might be good."

He is great at revising history is our locky ;)

(P.s: absolutely nothing in those review videos shows anything of the sort they claimed was limiting the game to 30fps, especially coupled with the barriers and the space area being basically rooms, it make even less sense now. Turns out it's not just the S holding everything back, the weak as piss cpu in the X/PS5 is too...shocker)

Fully Fledged

There is in Bethesda games they are called mods. It's one of the first ones I look for.

My take from all the content creators that I trust is that yes it's a solid game. The draw backs are the amount of loading scenes in a game in 2023, and that you don't fly through space but hop between bubbles above planets. This is where you have all your spaceship content. They all also say that the dog fighting is epic.

They all say the first few hours of the tutorial is bland but follow the main mission and the game will open up and become epic.

I'm still glad that I didn't by the upgrade for the EA but I think I'm going to lose hundreds of hours in this between now and Christmas, and will eventually buy it on steam to play with mods once the modding community really get to work on this.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I actually really like Bethesda games (even today Skryim is my favourite game), but Fallout in space has never really interested me much. I like the direction they have taken with some of this game but it doesn't look amazing. Certainly isnt the system seller MS hoped it would be. The best thing about this release is that we can finally get onto the next Elder Scrolls game which is what they should have done all along, that's the real system seller.

Redlambs

There is in Bethesda games they are called mods. It's one of the first ones I look for.

My take from all the content creators that I trust is that yes it's a solid game. The draw backs are the amount of loading scenes in a game in 2023, and that you don't fly through space but hop between bubbles above planets. This is where you have all your spaceship content.

They all say the first few hours of the tutorial is bland but follow the main mission and the game will open up and become epic.

I'm still glad that I didn't by the upgrade for the EA but I think I'm going to lose hundreds of hours in this between now and Christmas, and will eventually buy it on steam to play with mods once the modding community really get to work on this.
Pretty much.

Though the mods will be out very quickly for this, especially inventory mods. I haven't even played the game yet and I know I can't wait for those :lol:

Massive Spanner

Pretty much.

Though the mods will be out very quickly for this, especially inventory mods. I haven't even played the game yet and I know I can't wait for those :lol:
Yeah I’m pretty sure the first thing i did with fallout 4 was a cheat code or mod to give me unlimited inventory space. It was full after a fecking hour and I wasn’t arsed trying to manage that shit. Crazy it’s still so bad.

when I play Baldurs Gate 3 and how easy it is to switch stuff between your party members or send it off to storage to get later it baffles me they still have it so fecking basic here.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So what's the deal with planets? Cus I wanna go to different galaxies and see shit, that's the only reason I'm gonna play this....

Fully Fledged

Yeah I’m pretty sure the first thing i did with fallout 4 was a cheat code or mod to give me unlimited inventory space. It was full after a fecking hour and I wasn’t arsed trying to manage that shit. Crazy it’s still so bad.

when I play Baldurs Gate 3 and how easy it is to switch stuff between your party members or send it off to storage to get later it baffles me they still have it so fecking basic here.
Being able to move items between characters has been in Baldur's Gate games for the past 24 years. Nearly 25.

Hoof the ball

Most of the comments on the reviews seems off; seem to be mostly critical and then give it a high score.

I wonder what SkillUp will think, he seems one of the few to be honest throughout.
That guy. He's totally insincere. He gets praise on here for some reason but I've seen him play and praise a game before release for the game mechanics and then when the game released completely 180 his opinion on the exact same game mechanics because his hands-on thoughts didn't line up with the consensus upon post-release.

Totally disingenuous. Does it all the time.

b82REZ

That guy. He's totally insincere. He gets praise on here for some reason but I've seen him play and praise a game before release for the game mechanics and then when the game released completely 180 his opinion on the exact same game mechanics because his hands-on thoughts didn't line up with the consensus upon post-release.

Totally disingenuous. Does it all the time.
That's the opposite of disengenous.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I know it's very subjective but the reviews are saying the story and the quests are good? Can it be true? A Bethesda game with good writing?

Lemoor

I know it's very subjective but the reviews are saying the story and the quests are good? Can it be true? A Bethesda game with good writing?
The ones I've seen claimed "best for a bethesda game", which is basically meaningless.