State of the refs in this country

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Shambolic, an utter shambles. That challenge on Mctominay is deserving of a long ban, no attempt to get the ball and jumped into his head.

Why isn't that getting retrospective action?

James Peril

It funny how everyone seems to be the best referee :lol:. Refereeing has been always the same, mistakes come and go.

I think the ref was okay today, got almost all the fouls right. He could have given a yellow or two more Huddersfield though. And the penalty people are moaning here about, no I don't thinks its a penalty.
Well then you’re fool because you don’t know the rules. Actually, it wasn’t a penalty as Lukaku pushed a defender before the incident (so the VAR would give a free-kick to them anyway), but that’s really not the point here. The attack on McTominay was violent and cowardly.

ManUnitedCanuck

It funny how everyone seems to be the best referee :lol:. Refereeing has been always the same, mistakes come and go.

I think the ref was okay today, got almost all the fouls right. He could have given a yellow or two more Huddersfield though. And the penalty people are moaning here about, no I don't thinks its a penalty.
Please explain your reasoning why you don’t think it’s a penalty? Do you think that’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch?

Anustart89

If this is your genuine opinion and not a poor attempt at WUMming, then your username accurately reflects your brain capacity.

Kostur

海尔的老板

If everybody's a best ref around here, you're literally the worst.

U99ted

Shambolic, an utter shambles. That challenge on Mctominay is deserving of a long ban, no attempt to get the ball and jumped into his head.

Why isn't that getting retrospective action?
Because diving is a much bigger crime according to English pundits.

el3mel

The game today was absolutely shambolic. Huddersfield kept kicking out Sanchez under the protection of the ref it was hilarious. They should have had 1 or 2 red cards with another penalty if we're talking fair and square.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

Yeah sure......not playing the ball, putting a NFL style hit to a players head, never a foul :wenger:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Demoted? He should be let go.
I don't know, what do you reckon the level is in League 1 or further down. I wouldn't think it's up to much given the level of Prem refs.

engulfing

Think the premier league should have their own referees and break away from the referee association. Sign the best officials world wide and triple their pay to get the best. Poor performers get dropped and their contracts not renewed. Stop subsidising hopeless refs foisted upon the premier league by the FA.

Toddler

If everybody's a best ref around here, you're literally the worst.
Yeah well you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Usually it's just silly to blame referees but it happens here quite often, even though the real reason for struggling would be somewhere else (today is not the case). It's always good to debate though.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah well you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Usually it's just silly to blame referees but it happens here quite often, even though the real reason for struggling would be somewhere else (today is not the case). It's always good to debate though.
Yeah, because we don't have any threads covering our other problems and it's always about the referees.

Fitchett

Attwell was absolutely appalling today. Right up there with performances by Oliver and Atkinson against us. The assault on McTominay should have been a straight red and a penalty, Sanchez should have had a penalty too in the first half. According to the BBC, Sanchez won seven free kicks, the most by a player in the PL this season. What they omitted to state of course, is the much higher number of free kicks he should have had, as Huddersfoul's tactics were simple - kick and foul Sanchez at every opportunity. The official foul count against Huddersfield, according to the BBC was 19. A competent referee would have given double that and sent two of their players off. Even more ridiculous was Sanchez getting booked for the one foul he committed in the match, near the half way line. Not to mention Attwell's laughable errors regarding goal kicks and corners - twice being bailed out by a linesman.

Good job we won the match, I can't imagine how I would feel had Attwell allowed Huddersfield to kick us off the park and get a win.

EVO

There was another wild two-footed lunge right before the first goal in the Brighton-West Ham game. Perhaps if the ref hadn't given advantage, from which a goal resulted, it would have been red but I doubt it. It's bizarre how English refereeing has been regressing lately when it comes to punishing reckless challenges. Stretched-leg tackles on ankles, raised foot tackles on knees, two-footed lunges, NFL-barges... none of it ends with a deserved dismissal. Attackers are pretty much fair game at the moment and players know it.

Last edited:

alpagr

Reffing at all levels in uk football is appalling no matter what level. The decision by the ref not to give a pen just about sums up the whole 'profession' .

Last edited by a moderator:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't know, what do you reckon the level is in League 1 or further down. I wouldn't think it's up to much given the level of Prem refs.
Outside of the premier league and championship referees are semi pros. It's crazy. The players are still fully fledged professionals, and will devote their days to training and working on fitness. The refs, however, will be approaching the game after a full working week, and will have to find the time to work on their own abilities and fitness.

Making refs in league 1, league 2, even the conference professional would drastically improve the officiating at lower levels, and would give us a far wider pool of referees to pick from for the top flight. How many gems do we have lurking in the lower leagues that haven't had the time and resources to realise their potential? It's not as if the FA don't have the money to accommodate it.

As an aside, despite the frequent errors made by our officials, they are still widely regarded the best in the world.

AngliaRed

They all look out of shape. We all know the PL is the fastest league in the world but they seriously all look shagged out once they’ve caught up with play.

Worse than that was performances like yesterday! That 1st half was some of the worst refereeing I’ve ever seen.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
A quick google search finds a guardian article from 2009 querying if he's the worst premier league ref ever, then in 2012 he got demoted for almost three years. Here he is still in 2018 making calls like that. And we're supposed to give refs a break and just say oh it's a tough job. In 9 years nobody has been developed that is better? Come on
Taking over from Uriah Rennie...

Chipper

Adulterer.
He didn't have a clue in the first half.

Billing should have had a yellow early on for a hefty challenge on McTominay. It was a worse challenge than what Sanchez got booked for just before half time which I was fine with as a yellow.

van La Parra fouled Valencia twice after he'd been beaten and Valencia was in behind him, running into space. That's a standard yellow card every time it happens these days and he didn't book him.

Gave us a corner when Lingard almost fell over the ball and put it out for what should have been a goal kick.

Gave them a goal kick when their defender toe-poked it behind for a corner when challenging Valencia.

The obvious penalty incident.

I'm not even sure there was nay contact when he did book Billing, but it was wild, he was attempting to trip and not the play the ball, plus he'd already had the other foul mentioned up above.

It was mental to watch. Was relatively ok in the second half.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Mctominay incident is a red card in rugby let alone football. Should have been a penalty too. You need to kill somebody to be red carded for violent conduct it seems this season.

Kostur

海尔的老板
@GifLord any chance you could pull up that talk between lino and Moss for the first penalty? It was quite a close up and the lino was instructing some absolute bullshit to Moss, I really hope I understood something wrong there or misheard him.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
@GifLord any chance you could pull up that talk between lino and Moss for the first penalty? It was quite a close up and the lino was instructing some absolute bullshit to Moss, I really hope I understood something wrong there or misheard him.

JustinC00

Would love the FA to explain how their refs don't call the challenge on McTominay a foul and penalty but do the kick from Van Dijk on Lamela

Is it simply the case that McTominay plays for United and Lamela plays for the league's darling Spurs?

Jordan_mufc

Says "I have no idea if Lovren has touched the ball" then proceeds to give the penalty.

The state of it

El Zoido

Says "I have no idea if Lovren has touched the ball" then proceeds to give the penalty.

The state of it
The linesman told the ref Kane was offside, he said “he’s offside, but if Lovren touched the ball it’s a penalty. I couldn’t see it.”

Great refereeing tbh. I’d quite like refs to be mic’ed up like in the NFL.

Hamadovich86

Some actual good refereeing by the linesman. Now if we can replace all the refs with machines ...

p2pZeus

The second penalty is a correct call. He gets kicked in the shin by the £75M-flopp.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Man, that explanation was nebulous. Sorry, but for first pen call, the whole offside thing, does not make sense. Surely, the player is actively affecting the game when the ball goes towards him and he's running off the last defender.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Neither penalty should have been given.

Kane offside for the first.
The second was a clear dive.

LARulz

I don't know the ruling but wasn't the lino (for the first pen) saying if the Liverpool player touched it then it's not offside or something?

I'd still say it is obviously but if the rule is that then it's correct to be given