Steven Bergwijn

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheForgottenOne

Has just been performing good in the Eredivisie for a year. A league in which Ajax and PSV are far superior to the rest of the league, which has many very weak opponents

PSV would want over 30 million for him and he is not an end product which would be very likely to do good for us. I think it is a great risk he will not be able to cope in the PL.

I'd rather see talents like Chong and Greenwood get a bit of time before spending this much cash on an other talent. If we spend this much, at least do it on a player that has shown to be able to compete on the highest level. Bergwijn has not.

Thiagoal

I remember when we were linked with Manè and it went down like a led balloon! This guy looks of a similar ilk and could be worth a punt

Jeffthered

Am I one of the few people who actually wants to see a relatively quick, left sided sided attacker who plays on the left?

(Man Utd used to do that v v well.)

Guardiola recognised this, and rarely uses his forwards playing on opposite flanks. Sterling operates from the right, Sane from the left. It gives the game a natural width, and natural balance.

Of course I am not suggesting the other way doesn't work, it can, and Liverpool seem to have found a formula... But I feel that this would enhance and improve our attacking options. Would also open the game up for the midfielders, and improve our set-pieces.

Mata neither has the power or pace to provide this option.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I am not against the idea of buying a 21 year old left winger for 25m if we think we can groom him into our right wing. Even if we miss with some of these signings (Memphis) doesn't mean we should stop making them. Rather that than go searching for Bale and generally spend our time in the market chasing waterfalls. He looks a bit raw from the videos but he also looks like the type of player that can contribute on our right side immediately. Thinking about Fergie buying Buttner. Terrible player overall, but he played his part in us winning the league. Having a player that can beat his man is important if we want to succeed in CL, playing Mata wont get us anywhere and if Lingard is not on form then we are struggling.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was it guy at Watford a few years back or am I confusing him with someone else?

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah you’re confusing him with Steven Berghuis who is now at Feyenoord.
He's tearing the league I think being unable to even cut it at Watford.

I've always look at these Dutch potentials with a pinch of salt - not only due to Depay.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I really hope this is not true. He seems exactly like Depay when he was at PSV. I don't think he would succeed.
You know, it is quite possible for a player who is exactly like Depay to actually be a success in the premier league.

Keyser

You know, it is quite possible for a player who is exactly like Depay to actually be a success in the premier league.
Agreed. Delay issues were not only football see what Rooney said for example

He also suffered the malaise at the club at the time. If he joined now it would be a slightly different story I reckon (attitude notwithstanding)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sanchez is probably leaving as there's no point keeping someone on that huge salary to stay in the reserves. If we believe in Martial then the best course of action would be to bring in someone young, on a relatively low salary with plenty of promise.

Bergwijn can play as LW and RW. He's still young and he's got plenty of promise. In my opinion, signing him is a no brainer.

Icemav

He reminds me of Depay. However in videos seems he likes to play on the left side, not right.
Massively. Apart from the obvious comparison of playing in the Dutch league, he also looks like a guy who would get swallowed up in the prem. Actually there is nothing about him that impresses me from his highlight video, nothing... and that is pretty rare.

Icemav

His speed of thought and quick feet when dribbling reminds me of a young Ronaldo/Nani, but he has more unpredictable flair like a Quaresma. Doesn't appear to have the technical ability of those guys and much of what he does lacks control or composure (especially his finishing), but he looks a real talent. I particularly like that he seems quite unselfish and has an eye for a pass.
Then why compare him? He doesn't look similar at all to any of them imho for the reasons you just sighted, and definitely is not more unpredictable than Ronaldo or Nani. The 3 you mentioned were monsters of dribbling and would have wrecked this Dutch league even as 12 year olds.

Zoo

Bayern are also interested in him.

Zoo

Bergwijn’s nice assist from the right for Lozano tonight against Groningen:

He has 10 goals and 10 assists this season.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I don’t mean to hate but I really don’t see anything that special about him. I’ve seen a few videos the past few days and nothing he does excites me. Granted I have not seen him actually play but still. Depay ( who I think gets a lot of unfair hate on here ) looks and looked a lot better when he was at PSV and his videos got you excited. Steven on the other hand just does not do Anything particullary great besides being a very pacey forward. Depay was and is more skillful he is stronger and has a much better shot on him.

I mean just as an example if you look up a video of Gelson martins on YouTube he will put you on your feet more times then this guy and he ripped Marcelo to shreds in Madrid. He is not all that special right now considering he is not even playing in atlético but he showed a lot more promise then this guy. Steven has the luxury of playing in one of the top 2 team in the league who are miles above everyone else in the league and I’m not to sure he would shine if he was in a team of lesser quality in that league.

I know it sound like I’m hating but I am just going off of what I have seen and can compare too. If I am proven wrong in the future feel free to quote this haha.

Icemav

He can play on either side but he's left footed and plays usually on the RW. He's scored 15 goals, assisted 7 in 22 games this season.

Looks a very promising player for the right side. Great close control and dribbling and obviously a bit of end product. I also really like that he seems to be tenacious and fight for the ball when defenders are snapping away at him, something that we need more of in the side.

Just a highlights video but impressive nonetheless.

midou

Agreed. Delay issues were not only football see what Rooney said for example

He also suffered the malaise at the club at the time. If he joined now it would be a slightly different story I reckon (attitude notwithstanding)
I can only wonder what we could do with Di Maria and Depay for example now that we have Ole.

Icemav

I can only wonder what we could do with Di Maria and Depay for example now that we have Ole.
Ole would have played Depay as a 10 and gotten a bit more out of him if he was here presently. But tbf Depay was a horrid footballer when at the club and needed much more maturing before he was ready for a big club in a big league. Di Maria no doubt would have enjoyed life more but that was a different time for both him, the club and for OGS.

I am glad though that we are having serious discussions about 'the United Way' after many dismissing this notion as being irrelevant in the modern era post fergie. This club only knows one way and good luck to anyone trying to change our dna and have success.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He can play on either side but he's left footed and plays usually on the RW. He's scored 15 goals, assisted 7 in 22 games this season.

I see a bit of Ronaldo in him. Just looks like he has levels to his game beyond that video. I was very impressed and see no reason why we'd not want to sign him right away, based on that video. Just get him in today:smirk:

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Always liked Stevie, but he is nowhere near ready to make a significant impact on the level we aspire to be at. Which makes all the talk about people loving us to sign him up ridiculous.

Next move for him should be to clubs like the good old clichéd Olympique Lyon or AS Roma level.

DarkRed

Watched the video, few goals/assists are with the left leg, so he can use both legs (unlike Tony ).

Devil may care

I think if this happens then the club don't see the front 3 as in need of an upgrade, he'll be a bench option that can come on for either flank.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I think if this happens then the club don't see the front 3 as in need of an upgrade, he'll be a bench option that can come on for either flank.
Well I think its fair to say Rashford and Martial should probably be starters... lets see though wouldn't be surprised if we ended up replacing Lukaku.

stepic

sick of looking at players who are best on the left but can play right too.

just sign a bloody proper right winger.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Last winger we signed from the Dutch league worked well

Do not want

Devil may care

Well I think its fair to say Rashford and Martial should probably be starters... lets see though wouldn't be surprised if we ended up replacing Lukaku.
I was actually thinking more about Lingard, people are underrating how hard it will be to upgrade him in the front 3, some seem to think any dribbly winger with a 4 minute Youtube video can do as we need a "real winger"....but I think it'll take more than that to displace him and upgrading him is something that will need to happen if we are to become PL challengers again IMO.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looks slow over ten yards in the videos I've seen. Only reason I do not want.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A bit underwhelming if this is our hope for the right wing - a promising left sided player who isnt exceptionally skilled and doesnt have blistering acceleration. We need to go big on the right wing IMO, Bergwijn just seems like he'd end up as a squad player type, which is fine as we'll probably need to replace Sanchez and Mata, but still. Centerback and right wing are 2 positions where we need to aim as high as possible IMO. Spend 100m on Sancho. Spend 100m on Koulibaly. Those 2 alone would take us up multiple levels.

Greenwood, if good enough, will force his way in eventually too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
A bit underwhelming if this is our hope for the right wing - a promising left sided player who isnt exceptionally skilled and doesnt have blistering acceleration. We need to go big on the right wing IMO, Bergwijn just seems like he'd end up as a squad player type, which is fine as we'll probably need to replace Sanchez and Mata, but still. Centerback and right wing are 2 positions where we need to aim as high as possible IMO. Spend 100m on Sancho. Spend 100m on Koulibaly. Those 2 alone would take us up multiple levels.
Maybe he would be Martials backup? He isn't going to cost a lot

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe he would be Martials backup? He isn't going to cost a lot
You say that but its youngish attacking player having a productive season... he'll be easily over 30m with prices how they are. I guess it also depends on the future plans with Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata but also youngsters like Gomes, Chong, Greenwood. Gomes could definitely step into a bigger role IMO, and Greenwood seems primed to explode on to the scene and have a Rashford like ascent. Theres our squad players, sign the one top right sided player and we're set (in an ideal world it goes like this, we'll see how it pans out).

Status
Not open for further replies.