Support David Moyes thread

redevil2

Well I was and yes it is too long, specially as there is absolutely no hint of improvement or change in style of play what so ever. Pep, Mourinho, Pelegrini, Martinez, Ancelotti all took over new teams this summer and needed zero transition time to get their teams going.
It will be nice if he is required to do some canvassing for votes to let fans know his platform, you know like politicians doing the door to door shaking hands and holding babies. Once he cannot deliver what he promised, he will be voted out.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I've lost faith that he can turn this around however I still hope he does. My problem is we just dont seem to be making enough progress with the style and quality of our play.

Wizard Keyaz

Caf's Confucious
To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil
What transition is people talking about, he should of kept a few of Fergie's right hand guys as consultants or which ever capacity they fit in, so they can actually go through a transition.

I am all about supporting Moyes, but he hasn't showed any managerial skill he once produced for Everton. I mean showing a little intelligence would of gone a long way.

My patience is being heavily tested tbh and all I see is too much huffing and puffing but no end result.

If United fans believe that last year's team was the very best of Fergie then I guess you all need to wake up, we were okay not the best.

Oh well I guess there will be a lot of doom and gloom until it gets any better.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I feel tomorrow night will be the start of the 'Moyes era'. He, and the players, are in desperate need of a true United-like comeback, one which galvanises the entire club. There are echoes of the famous 1984 comeback against Barcelona in this Olympiacos tie, when everyone felt we were dead and buried after a 2-0 away loss but a raucous home crowd dragged us over the line.

I am confident we'll progress tomorrow (probably after extra-time) and we'll go into the Derby on a high. City are not playing very well and another passionate home crowd, coupled with the bouyant dressing-room after progressing in Europe, will give us every chance.

I wasn't wholly sold on him last May when he was announced, but I've been impressed with how he's met the challenge of being United manager with class and dignity. Lesser men would have exploded publicly long ago. He's not been without fault (bizarre team selections, poor substitutions and questionable managerial decisions - I feel he should have given Vidic the boot in January, for one) but he is learning, too. People speak of United being in 'transition' but lest we forget that Moyes is in transition himself, if we apply the same reasoning.

The flak the man has taken, even from our own, has been abysmal and the more criticism he receives, the more I want him to succeed. He's been left a bad hand: three of the first-choice four defenders knew they were off at the end of the season and best days far behind them, the midfield fiasco was scarcely believable for a club of United's stature, and the team, which was too reliant on wing-play introduced by the previous management team, has absolute shite wingers. We were incredibly lucky last season that our rivals collectively had 'mares. I refuse to believe our squad was justifiably eleven points better than any of the rest of the teams in the league. That statistic was an anomaly but it's a statistic which has been used as a stick to beat Moyes with.

Again, the man hasn't been totally without fault, but I refuse to believe our problems this season have solely been down to him. It's absolutely naive to think so.

Mauzindark

I feel tomorrow night will be the start of the 'Moyes era'.
That's been said before every big match this season tbf. Even the Liverpool game was supposed to be the start of the 'Moyes Era' with us knocking them out of the title race. Look how that worked out for us...

adamwest

I feel tomorrow night will be the start of the 'Moyes era'. He, and the players, are in desperate need of a true United-like comeback, one which galvanises the entire club. There are echoes of the famous 1984 comeback against Barcelona in this Olympiacos tie, when everyone felt we were dead and buried after a 2-0 away loss but a raucous home crowd dragged us over the line.

I am confident we'll progress tomorrow (probably after extra-time) and we'll go into the Derby on a high. City are not playing very well and another passionate home crowd, coupled with the bouyant dressing-room after progressing in Europe, will give us every chance.

I wasn't wholly sold on him last May when he was announced, but I've been impressed with how he's met the challenge of being United manager with class and dignity. Lesser men would have exploded publicly long ago. He's not been without fault (bizarre team selections, poor substitutions and questionable managerial decisions - I feel he should have given Vidic the boot in January, for one) but he is learning, too. People speak of United being in 'transition' but lest we forget that Moyes is in transition himself, if we apply the same reasoning.

The flak the man has taken, even from our own, has been abysmal and the more criticism he receives, the more I want him to succeed. He's been left a bad hand: three of the first-choice four defenders knew they were off at the end of the season and best days far behind them, the midfield fiasco was scarcely believable for a club of United's stature, and the team, which was too reliant on wing-play introduced by the previous management team, has absolute shite wingers. We were incredibly lucky last season that our rivals collectively had 'mares. I refuse to believe our squad was justifiably eleven points better than any of the rest of the teams in the league. That statistic was an anomaly but it's a statistic which has been used as a stick to beat Moyes with.

Again, the man hasn't been totally without fault, but I refuse to believe our problems this season have solely been down to him. It's absolutely naive to think so.
Respect for this mate. A great battle cry, but I feel we've already been battered so much it will fall on deaf ears. Very relevant points made though.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
The deluded optimism is admirable but it's still delusion all the same.
Agreed.
@nahealai, while it's not all Moyes' fault, he's done little or nothing to rectify the situation. We haven't seen one iota on how he's going to change the squad and tactics. We're trying to play a terrible version of 442, where our midfield is too static, our central defenders play too deep and are rotated far too often, our wingers are crossing badly(and not trying an alternative), and our strikers are having to come really deep to collect anything. Moyes has yet to implement any philosophy where it could improvements could be seen down the line.

Kag

The deluded optimism is admirable but it's still delusion all the same.
Indeed.

I can't wait until this man is sacked and these players can send a massive "feck you" to the faction of detractors that have assaulted their attitudes and abilities all season long.

I'd happily take a new manager and not a penny expenditure come this Summer. Promote Michael Keane, promote Nick Powell and a manager with imagination and nous could still mount a title challenge. I'd love to see that happen and for the players to rise to the challenge.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

This reminds me of that RAWK post where that poster fantasied about Fergie exploding at the end. Ah well.

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
Does anyone else feel that the fact that it's a world cup year could work heavily in our favour this summer and massively take the spotlight off our abismal season allowing us to settle down a bit and get a bit of solidity in the squad?

Not to mention the fact it's a great showcase for new signings

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Does anyone else feel that the fact that it's a world cup year could work heavily in our favour this summer and massively take the spotlight off our abismal season allowing us to settle down a bit and get a bit of solidity in the squad?

Not to mention the fact it's a great showcase for new signings
Not really

Revan

Assumptionman

YAWN!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

I'll have what you're having, mate.

The White Pele

I have completely lost faith after recent performances and his post-match comments have given the impression that he doesn't see what he needs to change to turn things around.

However, his comments in other press conferences that he knows what he wants to do in the summer give me a small glimmer of hope that he sees what everyone sees and is just trying to get through to the end of the season so he can address the problems.

For me, the league is over now. We obviously have no chance of top 4 and we'd be better off preparing for next season, trying new things in the remaining games rather than fighting for Europa (we could do both).

If Moyes wants to win back some support we really need to see a response in these remaining league games. Fresh ideas, players with something to prove, some real tempo in our play rather than the abject lifeless displays we have seen.

The City game is our last chance to save any face really and to be honest what I really want to see in that game is some fight. If that means just one striker and a packed midfield so be it, it's probably the best way forward anyway. Fergie did it plenty of times over the years against the big sides without being labelled a negative manager so why should Moyes be any different.

Tomorrow we need to reproduce the Leverkusen performance and play with high intensity. Even an exit wouldn't be so hard to take if we at least have a real go at it.

vivaronaldo

cool story bro

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Agreed.
@nahealai, while it's not all Moyes' fault, he's done little or nothing to rectify the situation. We haven't seen one iota on how he's going to change the squad and tactics. We're trying to play a terrible version of 442, where our midfield is too static, our central defenders play too deep and are rotated far too often, our wingers are crossing badly(and not trying an alternative), and our strikers are having to come really deep to collect anything. Moyes has yet to implement any philosophy where it could improvements could be seen down the line.
We have seen glimpses of change but then things will slip back to the ugly stuff. The overuse of the wide stuff is 3-4 games ago now but people want to ignore this.
Even against Liverpool there were periods of play where the interchanges of passing and movement through the central areas was sharp and positive. Unfortunately in that game they were brief periods. I dont think Moyes can turn this around and dont expect him to survive past 2015 but to say there is not 1 iota of how he is going to change isnt true.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In the abstract, I want to support him and give him time. In reality, I've seen what he has done with a top 4 squad and the football he's produced. If there were a list of things to avoid doing as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor, he's ticked nearly all of the boxes.

It was this bit when I realised we were in Bizarro World.

Mersault

I feel tomorrow night will be the start of the 'Moyes era'. He, and the players, are in desperate need of a true United-like comeback
tl;dr

I felt that way, a little bit, on Sunday. And many other times this season. We may as well be saying that next season. After all, he's got some hidden plan that he'll implement when the time is right, which I think may be when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
We have seen glimpses of change but then things will slip back to the ugly stuff. The overuse of the wide stuff is 3-4 games ago now but people want to ignore this.
Even against Liverpool there were periods of play where the interchanges of passing and movement through the central areas was sharp and positive. Unfortunately in that game they were brief periods. I dont think Moyes can turn this around and dont expect him to survive past 2015 but to say there is not 1 iota of how he is going to change isnt true.
Those glimpses of quality seem like the players forgetting to play the Moyes way before being reined in. Against Fulham earlier in the year we were brilliant for about 15 minutes and scored three goals before being dreadful for the rest of the match. We sat back, didn't go for it, let Fulham score, and nearly let them back in the game. They had more shots and more on target than we did despite dominating the opening stages.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I had a feeling he would have replaced Fergie a couple of years ago and wanted him to do well. But I also had misgivings over his record against bigger clubs. There has been no sign that his approach to big games is working though. The reports of him wanting Ferdinand and Carrick to learn from the likes of Jagielka and Osman are laughable if true.

I still think he should be given till Xmas at least. The season is already doomed. Let's see how he does with a fresh start next season.

(Him signing Rooney up instead of getting rid does me in though, and I wouldn't mind sacking him because of that!)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I still think he'll survive 'til Christmas. I find it very disheartening, because quite frankly next season will be a write off too.

Loon

:lol:
I still think he'll survive 'til Christmas. I find it very disheartening, because quite frankly next season will be a write off too.
I thought the same, but now I'm not so sure. Another performance like Sunday's against the Berties...

The pisser is any potential replacement will NOT be in until post-World Cup, which means Transfer Scramble II

dinners85

I recall having one or two year contracts where I took on a successful group of people with the clear instruction to not let things slip. I did the job and didn't make too many changes because I knew my job was to keep things as they were.

When I had my first job that was a full five year business plan (same company) it was very different. I was free to have a clear out because I was going to be judged 3,4 or 5 years down the line.

First year was a nightmare as we went backwards. There were one or two long serving people I got rid of (that in hindsight I could have kept to make life easier early doors) but after 5 years we were far stronger than we were when I took over.

I'm not saying Moyes will be the man for the job as I don't have a crystal ball however we need to understand that he hasn't been brought in for a year, he's been given a long term contract and the changes he's making to his staff will be done on the basis of what the club's remit is.

I personally don't think a 6 year contract was appropriate given we were the champions last year but (given their financial income) if that's what the club are comfortable to give Moyes then we have to question the job the club have given out rather than his Moyes actions.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I recall having one or two year contracts where I took on a successful group of people with the clear instruction to not let things slip. I did the job and didn't make too many changes because I knew my job was to keep things as they were.

When I had my first job that was a full five year business plan (same company) it was very different. I was free to have a clear out because I was going to be judged 3,4 or 5 years down the line.

First year was a nightmare as we went backwards. There were one or two long serving people I got rid of (that in hindsight I could have kept to make life easier early doors) but after 5 years we were far stronger than we were when I took over.

I'm not saying Moyes will be the man for the job as I don't have a crystal ball however we need to understand that he hasn't been brought in for a year, he's been given a long term contract and the changes he's making to his staff will be done on the basis of what the club's remit is.

I personally don't think a 6 year contract was appropriate given we were the champions last year but (given their financial income) if that's what the club are comfortable to give Moyes then we have to question the job the club have given out rather than his Moyes actions.
While all that is true, Management is an art. What works for you might not works for United, there are countless variables at play in real world.

Normally the art of war says that you need to make a grand entry if you're perceived as newcomer, you need to set a few heads rolling to set an example (as Tsun Tsu himself displayed by cutting off the Emperor's favorite Concubine)

But in doing so, you also have to know the level of support he has, the capability of the squad, who will win if you indeed going into the authority war, and stuffs.

And IMO, he handles it badly, because all the great leaders of the past that shook things up the first day they went into the job have something Moyes IMO doesn't : Confidence that they're that freaking fecking good, the believe in their vision, and all other great characteristic of a great leader I don't see in Moyes

EDIT: ask yourself this, when you sacked those people, what makes you confident you can pass through it?

dinners85

EDIT: ask yourself this, when you sacked those people, what makes you confident you can pass through it?
If you mean what confidence I had in myself - it was my own confidence that what I was doing would pay off 5 years down the line. And it did.

If you're talking about what made me confident enough to make such sweeping changes that would have everybody thinking I was nuts after 6 months or a year - it was the backing from the 'powers that be' - but they would only ever tell me that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If you mean what confidence I had in myself - it was my own confidence that what I was doing would pay off 5 years down the line. And it did.

If you're talking about what made me confident enough to make such sweeping changes that would have everybody thinking I was nuts after 6 months or a year - it was the backing from the 'powers that be' - but they would only ever tell me that.
Exactly, you know where you want to head in the next 5 years. You sack them because you probably think they won't cut the mustard.

I can't say I see the same thing with Moyes, there's no way he thinks Rene / Phelan won't cut the mustard and Lumpsden / Phil / Giggs can. He doesn't have a vision, it shows in the ways he changes nothing (not that he has to changes for the sake of it, but there's nothing to suggest he's working on something), I see no confidence in his press conference, nothing but an unsecure defeatist mentality having his dream come true.

IMO : Managing united (or a big club with big budged etc) is his Goals and dreams. He has fulfilled his dream. SAF dreams was not only to manage United, he wants to Knock liverpool of their fecking perch. Spot the difference

Feeky Magee

keen violinist

I like how your very first sentence can be summed up by your very last.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have completely lost faith after recent performances and his post-match comments have given the impression that he doesn't see what he needs to change to turn things around.

However, his comments in other press conferences that he knows what he wants to do in the summer give me a small glimmer of hope that he sees what everyone sees and is just trying to get through to the end of the season so he can address the problems.

For me, the league is over now. We obviously have no chance of top 4 and we'd be better off preparing for next season, trying new things in the remaining games rather than fighting for Europa (we could do both).

If Moyes wants to win back some support we really need to see a response in these remaining league games. Fresh ideas, players with something to prove, some real tempo in our play rather than the abject lifeless displays we have seen.

The City game is our last chance to save any face really and to be honest what I really want to see in that game is some fight. If that means just one striker and a packed midfield so be it, it's probably the best way forward anyway. Fergie did it plenty of times over the years against the big sides without being labelled a negative manager so why should Moyes be any different.

Tomorrow we need to reproduce the Leverkusen performance and play with high intensity. Even an exit wouldn't be so hard to take if we at least have a real go at it.
I don't think he has them, or he would have employed them months before, or probably years before when he was at Everton

VP

Wow staggering..another Moyes apologist motivated purely by a prospective "I told you so".

"Moyes is in transition"..feck off. This is not an internship, you can't learn on the job.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I'm laughing out loud reading the various replies to nahealai's post, this place has turned truely vitriolic and to be fair, it's not without reason.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
All the talk of him receiving flak from supporters is complete non sense. At other clubs, fans would have turned on him at the ground it self and there would have been protests and what not. People slagging him off on the internet hardly matters as long as there is nothing inside the ground.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
No wonder United fans have a reputation for being spoilt.

Staggering.
Ofcourse. Expecting a manager to at least compete for a top 4 position with a championship winning squad is spoilt.

Don't make me laugh. United fans have been easily much better than any club's fans would have been in a similar situation. Just because you want to take higher moral ground, don't belittle others.

lilcurt

Wow.