That post match interview with our manager

I’m just curious, how many think Jose is still the right man to lead the club forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not being funny but aside from DDG, Lukaku and Matic... not a single one of our players has done remotely enough in their careers to start ”turning” on a manager like Mourinho.
Ramos, Ronaldo, Costa, Hazard doing it is one thing but feck me we’ve got some massive problems in our squad if half of our ”done nexty to feck all in their careers” players are turning on Mourinho.
What the hell has Lukaku done ? Has he even won a trophy ?

Aside from this it's not what they've done, it's how they are treated that concerns me. When two of the players you have listed are treated by the manager as if they perform every week because he signed them. West Brom happened with Jose's men and we were just as bad if not worse.

Name Changed

weso26
Mourinho is a disgrace, pure and simple. We play the most tumescent football in the league but all he does is blame the players. The end of next season can't come quick enough as he is bound to feck off.

Greck

The same thing happened a few weeks ago against West Brom, in which his favoured players played, and they were just as bad, so why not blame them ??

This was just another pathetic moment from Mourinho to distance himself from any responsibility and blame it on the players. Such results have been happening irrespective of which team is chosen, so it is absolute crap to blame it on certain players as if they are the problem.
Similarly against Sevilla we fielded a lineup of his most trusted soldiers- Fellaini, Matic, Mctominay, Lingard, Lukaku, Sanchez, Young and Valencia- the performance was dull and uninspired. Some of his favourites have been putting up shite performances all season so why not show some consistency in player treatment instead of rushing to find scapegoats among his non-favourites?

Eddy_JukeZ

Not being funny but aside from DDG, Lukaku and Matic... not a single one of our players has done remotely enough in their careers to start ”turning” on a manager like Mourinho.
Ramos, Ronaldo, Costa, Hazard doing it is one thing but feck me we’ve got some massive problems in our squad if half of our ”done nexty to feck all in their careers” players are turning on Mourinho.
What in the world has Lukaku done in his career to be validated for "turning on Mourinho" if he decided to?

Skills

Snitch
What in the world has Lukaku done in his career to be validated for "turning on Mourinho" if he decided to?
Nothing.. but he's one of Mourinho's boys so not expected to turn on him, it's why he's been thrown in there. Pogba for example has achieved 5x as more than Lukaku, but obviously his name couldn't be thrown in to make a point because of some alleged issues.

Eddy_JukeZ

Nothing.. but he's one of Mourinho's boys so not expected to turn on him, it's why he's been thrown in there. Pogba for example has achieved 5x as more than Lukaku, but obviously his name couldn't be thrown in to make a point because of some alleged issues.
Still don't know how Lukaku is that highly regarded.

To me, the only one absolved of criticism all season is DDG.

Lukaku's been good this season overall, but he had a month or so where he looked like he forgot how to score.

Swift Football

I gave up on him after the Sevilla match and subsequent comments. I don't think we're in a position to gamble at this moment and we are improving, albeit slowly, so I think a last chance should be given to him next season. Hopefully he gets us looking decent or at least putting up a decent fight for the title, if not I hope Ed preps for our next manager who is a bit better suited (Sarri? Jardim?)
Agree. Sevilla was a turning point for me too.
Give him another season, but with caution and also have an interim manager in mind, in case players decide to turn on him.

cyril C

Under Mou. Sanchez was putting up bad performance after bad performance and was getting game after game. Lukaku had a period where he was awful and was given game after game. See that's the problem with this entire narrative. Mou is not consistent and I'm sure players can see through his crap. If that's the case, why would those players run through a wall for him?
Agree with you on Sanchez and even Mourinho publicly criticised Sanchez particularly after the Spur defeat. But Sanchez did put out better performance afterwards although not on a consistent basis. Criticism on Lukaku was unfair. He failed to score during mid-season but he did his #9 function consistently. Had Lukaku continue to go goalless then perhaps more pressure to drop him, but no-one is doing a better job than Lukaku as a point man, not even Fellaini.

I would address another post on similar response. Smalling was never on a poor status. He had some average games (OK, mostly average), and he made amend his mistake in the Derby by scoring a winner, this sum up Smalling's performance this season. Not spectacular and perhaps nervy performance as a CB, but he is still our best in the middle, unless someone suggest Jones + Rojo is better, or Jones + Blind?

On Mata. Mata gave some game changing contribution during early part of the season and he is often the 1st name that flash in my mind when things go south. His last 2-3 appearance have been disappointing and certainly doesn't deserve to start in the final, Mata is not much better than Rashford or Martial IMO as far as taking their chances, but we can afford them another 1-2 chances before the FA final.

Pogba should be in there too of course, completely missed him out by mistake.
The others though? No fecking way they should be turning on any successful manager.

For those asking ”why Lukaku?”, well he’s the youngest foreign player in Premier League history to hit the 100 league goals.

Last edited:

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Pogba should be in there too of course, completely missed him out by mistake.
The others though? No fecking way they shoukd be turning on any successful manager.
You don't have to be successful player with multiple trophies to turn against manager. If players feel manager is being cnut (not saying Jose is) then they have every right to turn against any coach. For example, players like Hazard and Costa didn't win so many trophies when they turned against Jose.

Hazard won 1 PL, 1 Europa league and FA cup
Costa won 1 PL and 1 La Liga

Valencia - 2 PL titles, 1 FA cup, 1 Europa league and played in CL finals and latter stages of CL
Jones - 1 PL, 1 FA cup, 1 Europa league
Smalling - 2 PL, FA cup, Europa league
Pogba - 4 Serie A titles, 2 domestic cups, 1 Europa league, played in CL and Euro finals.
Lindelof - 2 League titles in Portugal and bunch of domestic cups
Mata - Champions league, Europa league twice, FA cup twice, FIFA world cup and Euros 2012. Apart from league titles he has won everything there is to win.
Carrick - 5 Pls, FA cup, Champions league, Europa league
Young - PL, FA cup, Europa league
Matic - 2 PL titles, FA cup

Looks like most of our players did alright in medals, don't think they are like Spurs players who probably never won anything.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Imagine being a professional footballer who wants to play at the highest level but Harry Kane’s at any criticism. Good luck taking penalties in a Champions League final 2008 style...

Water Melon

One thing is saying after one game that it was probably the worst performance from the two of these players. However, context is these two players were given chances and were played consistently and were called out for their bad performance after one game. Now it is totally different to not playing players differenely and then tell the whole world - now you see, why I play others too often. The fact is that Lukaky was costing us points with his "clearances" in several games, while Sanchez had all the time in the world to get himself into playing form.

MJJ

Imagine being a professional footballer who wants to play at the highest level but Harry Kane’s at any criticism. Good luck taking penalties in a Champions League final 2008 style...
Do you see the difference between the two quotes? Sir alex said it was the worst performance by the two of them, not see this is why they are shit and I was right not to play them and everyone questioning me can now feck off.

He blamed the performance, did not use it to make some kind of point to defend himself.

roonster09

Scout

Ferguson: We know Rooney and Ronaldo are going to be great players... but that was possibly the worst performance of the season from the two of them,"

Jose: Now you understand why always Lukaku.

There is a day and night difference between 2 quotes and also their management style.

Dr. StrangeHate

This guy is a journalist. He is paid to write this stuff but he can't tell the difference between the quotes as stated below by @roonster09 . This has been said before many times but football journalists really do steal a living.
Ferguson: We know Rooney and Ronaldo are going to be great players... but that was possibly the worst performance of the season from the two of them,"

There is a day and night difference between 2 quotes and also their management style.

Minimalist

This is really dumb logic if you’re a bit more thoughtful.

What the hell has player accomplishments got to do with a coach doing their job well or not? Basically just appealing to authority with this.

Can a youth coach never be shite at their job then?

This is really dumb logic if you’re a bit more thoughtful.

What the hell has player accomplishments got to do with a coach doing their job well or not? Basically just appealing to authority with this.

Can a youth coach never be shite at their job then?
Did you even think for half a second before posting this? I mean, can a youth coach be shit at their job whilst simultaneously being one of the best youth coaches in the World with an almost unmatched record of success?

"Dumb logic" indeed @Minimalist

Minimalist

Did you even think for half a second before posting this? I mean, can a youth coach be shit at their job whilst simultaneously being one of the best youth coaches in the World with an almost unmatched record of success?

"Dumb logic" indeed @Minimalist
So basically you think a good manager (based on historical performance) can never do a bad job or at least fail to deliver certain aspects of it. Got it.

I have no issue using a manager's CV to justify/back their appointment and a honeymoon period. It's the reason people backed LVG initially and why Moyes struggled to get universal approval right from the off. Mourinho got the same as LVG but we're coming to the end of season two now. Some of us aren't impressed with this shite he's putting out, both on and off the pitch.

I just struggle to understand how the accomplishments of the players matter. If Mourinho is a prick behind the scenes and not getting the best out of certain players, what does it matter what's on their CV?

Last edited:
So basically you think a good manager (based on historical performance) can never do a bad job or at least fail to deliver certain aspects of it. Got it.
Well there’s ”good” managers, and then there’s two times CL winning, 8 league titles in 4 different countries managers.

So yeah, I think the squad that had finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th since SAF left has more to learn from Jose Mourinho than vice versa.

Or maybe, just all of the managers are shite and they are brilliant league winning players and don’t need to listen to anyone but themselves. Jose aint perfect, and we need to improve further next year or it could be time to part ways; however, to claim these players (minus the ones I mentioned), have any fecking right to question anyone, let alone a manager like Mourinho after the shite they have served up since SAF is an absolute joke.

Last edited:

MJJ

Well there’s ”good” managers, and then there’s two times CL winning, 8 league titles in 4 different countries managers.

So yeah, I think the squad that had finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th since SAF left has more to learn from Jose Mourinho than vice versa.

Or maybe, just all of the managers are shite and they are brilliant league winning players and don’t need to listen to anyone but themselves.
What was lvg or capello(with England) pedigree? It's not that simple.

roonster09

Scout

Or maybe, just all of the managers are shite and they are brilliant league winning players and don’t need to listen to anyone but themselves.
We had Van Gaal who won 7 league titles in 4 different countries, Champions league winner and multiple times runner up, so many other domestic trophies and also manager who finished 3rd in World cup.

His team was so bad, it was embarrassing.

Players who finished 7th are hardly playing for us now. Players who finished 4th and 5th, so many players have moved on and so many other players are already signed. The players who are still at the club, Jose thinks they are good enough. He is still begging for Fellaini's contract extension.

What was lvg or capello(with England) pedigree? It's not that simple.
Come on fellas?

Since 2002 LVG has won 2 league titles, 0 CL. And fwiw, damn right the players should have been listening to him, especially if he was clearly improving them season on season, he wasn't though, they were clearly getting worse as his tenure went on.

Capello though, has not had the best record since 2002 either but he did take over England after a relatively successful spell so of course the players shouldn't have been turning on him, well, unless they are (as I mentioned earlier with Ramos, Ronaldo etc), Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Rooney, Carrick, Lampard et al.

MJJ

Come on fellas?

Since 2002 LVG has won 2 league titles, 0 CL. And fwiw, damn right the players should have been listening to him, especially if he was clearly improving them season on season, he wasn't though, they were clearly getting worse as his tenure went on.

Capello though, has not had the best record since 2002 either but he did take over England after a relatively successful spell so of course the players shouldn't have been turning on him, well, unless they are (as I mentioned earlier with Ramos, Ronaldo etc), Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Rooney, Carrick, Lampard et al.
Why are using an arbitrary cut off peridp of 2002?

Both of them were hugely successful managers who failed, so it's not as simple as won trophies in the past= will win trophies in the future.

What's hurting mourinho the most is that he relied on being the special one, that if you follow his methods without questioning them you will win trophies. That aura is gone now and he needs to evolve.

Why are using an arbitrary cut off peridp of 2002?.
Because that's when Mourinho's managerial career started. And since then he's won more in the following 16 years than LVG or Capello have won in their entire careers. LVG was a superb manager in the 90's, but that has little to no relevance today as we noticed during his United tenure.

Mourinho has never failed to win a title at any of his clubs, so I've no idea why his "aura" of follow me and you'll win titles has gone according to you.

MJJ

Because that's when Mourinho's managerial career started. And since then he's won more in the following 16 years than LVG or Capello have won in their entire careers. LVG was a superb manager in the 90's, but that has little to no relevance today as we noticed during his United tenure.

Mourinho has never failed to win a title at any of his clubs, so I've no idea why his "aura" of follow me and you'll win titles has gone according to you.
Because the Madrid spell broke him, notice his behaviour afterwards. It's different, his teams implode more and do worse in europe.

Oldyella

In the 15 years before signing for United, LVG had won 2 titles & 0 CL so some perspective please.
I think that probably proves their point though? At some point, a managers methods and abilities will either decline or football will move on. You can see with Jose that his levels of success are slowly dropping, and he is no longer the charismatic special one.

Time waits for no man, very rarely do you get managers like Fergie who can continually maintain standards over such a long period of time. The question is do we think that Jose has plateaud and are his tactics dated? He's not quite there yet imo, but he's not far off unless he actually plans how to get his attack working, rather than trust players will just work it out for themselves.

roonster09

Scout
In the 15 years before signing for United, LVG had won 2 titles & 0 CL so some perspective please.
Yeah, because he managed only 6.5 seasons at club football since 2000 before taking over at United. He was manager of National team and had various roles at Ajax. In the 6.5 years, 3.5 years of them at AZ and he made them champions.

2002-03 at Barca
2005-09 at AZ
2009-11 at Bayern

Yeah perspective please.

Since Inter stint, Jose has won just 2 league titles in 8 years and in all the 8 years he managed massive clubs.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He coached Alkmaar, not exactly the biggest powerhouse in Dutch football and won the title with them in '09. He won the Bundesliga and DFB cup with Bayern in his first season and reached the CL final, which he lost against Mourinho's Inter. After his short stint at Bayern, he became the sporting director at Ajax Amsterdam, so he didn't really have much time to win titles. He took over the Dutch national team in 2012 and finished 3rd at the World Cup, only losing to Argentina on penalties.

So, given his opportunities, one could still argue he was rather successful before joining United. Whether his football was great to watch or not is a different question. But, given his opportunities, he had still done well. It's too easy to just point towards title wins.

He coached Alkmaar, not exactly the biggest powerhouse in Dutch football and won the title with them in '09. He won the Bundesliga and DFB cup with Bayern in his first season and reached the CL final, which he lost against Mourinho's Inter. After his short stint at Bayern, he became the sporting director at Ajax Amsterdam, so he didn't really have much time to win titles. He took over the Dutch national team in 2012 and finished 3rd at the World Cup, only losing to Argentina on penalties.

So, given his opportunities, one could still argue he was rather successful before joining United. Whether his football was great to watch or not is a different question. But, given his opportunities, he had still done well. It's too easy to just point towards title wins.
I'm not arguing against that though, and in fairness, I mentioned above that "feck yeah" the players should have been listening to a man like LVG, until that is he quite clearly was regressing the team, performances etc. That makes it harder for players to trust a manager's methods, and of course, if Mourinho takes us from 2nd to 6th next season, I'd absolutely expect the players to start turning on him.
Right now though, he's taking us on an upward trajectory so if players who have finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th these past years are questioning him? They better be Paul Pogba, DDG standard players because the others have served up too much shite these past four years to start questioning a man that right now, is moving the squad forwards.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm not arguing against that though, and in fairness, I mentioned above that "feck yeah" the players should have been listening to a man like LVG, until that is he quite clearly was regressing the team, performances etc. That makes it harder for players to trust a manager's methods, and of course, if Mourinho takes us from 2nd to 6th next season, I'd absolutely expect the players to start turning on him.
Right now though, he's taking us on an upward trajectory so if players who have finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th these past years are questioning him? They better be Paul Pogba, DDG standard players because the others have served up too much shite these past four years to start questioning a man that right now, is moving the squad forwards.
It's irrelevant whether a said player has had a certain type of team success or not. A player should always be able to criticize a manager. It's a way of holding the manager accountable. Mourinho is far from perfect, the early Champions League and the fact that we've scored only 67 goals so far have shown that amongst other things. If only players with a certain degree of quality are allowed to question the manager, you're in deep shit as a team.

And besides, how many current United players were on those teams that finished 7th and 4th?

13/14:
De Gea
Smalling
Jones
Young
Valencia
Fellaini
Mata

14/15:
De Gea
Smalling
Jones
Young
Valencia
Fellaini
Mata
Blind
Herrera
Shaw
Rojo

Out of those, De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Young and Valencia have won the league with us under SAF. Mata has won the Europa League and Champions League at Chelsea.

So that leaves Blind, Herrera, Shaw, Rojo and Fellaini.

simplyared

Already posted a similar example on this thread which highlights exactly the same thing that you are putting forward. Which is also what this thread is about. Motivating players and getting the best out of them! Mourinho's methods are bordering criminal imv and have an adverse effect on players.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Already posted a similar example on this thread which highlights exactly the same thing that you are putting forward. Which is also what this thread is about. Motivating players and getting the best out of them! Mourinho's methods are bordering criminal imv and have an adverse effect.
So many ManUtd fans agree your and my view.

roonster09

Scout
That’s only half the story, include those who finished 5th & 6th also.
So players should know their role for finishing 5th and 6th whereas they should follow coach because he is leading them to 2nd position.

So finishing low means blame the players, finishing higher means praise the coach?

Every player. doesn't matter whether he is Messi or Welbeck, can have his opinion on coach and right to express his view when he doesn't agree with coach's management style.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Mourinho is a disgrace, pure and simple. We play the most tumescent football in the league but all he does is blame the players. The end of next season can't come quick enough as he is bound to feck off.
Sadly this is how I feel too.

So players should know their role for finishing 5th and 6th whereas they should follow coach because he is leading them to 2nd position.

So finishing low means blame the players, finishing higher means praise the coach?
If your past 4 seasons for a club as big as Manchester United have ended in 7th, 4th, 5th & 6th... I struggle personally to see that you’re in any position to start turning on a manager that has an amazing track record now has you in 2nd.

Every player. doesn't matter whether he is Messi or Welbeck, can have his opinion on coach and right to express his view when he doesn't agree with coach's management style.
But that aint the point, I mean, John Stones might very well be annoyed with Guardiola right now, but he’d be an absolute bellend for not listening to the manager and trying to improve.