The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’ve only had 6 phones since 2002, so there’s that.
Good for you!

I had to get three new phones in three months. Thankfully Loews / Universal paid for all of them. They wouldn’t let me expense phone protectors, but they kept giving me new phones.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Damn, that’s 5 minutes from my wife’s grandmothers house. We used to take her to go play penny slots.
You literally were the first person I thought of when I saw this, even before some industry colleagues who work in WI.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You literally were the first person I thought of when I saw this, even before some industry colleagues who work in WI.

we actually moved from from GB to Milwaukee this week, so no more going up there unless I somehow get Packer tickets. Still weird to know you have been in a mass shooting site dozens of times.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

we actually moved from from GB to Milwaukee this week, so no more going up there unless I somehow get Packer tickets. Still weird to know you have been in a mass shooting site dozens of times.
See, even godless heathen can have hearts.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
See, even godless heathen can have hearts.
you even have souls too :D

besides, as the current political climate (and history has shown us), ones religious fervor is no indication of what lies within ones heart.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
and again. As soon as I saw Rigby Middle School as a trending topic on Twitter I was 99% sure it was a shooting. The other 1% was that Matt Gaetz was looking for a date.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I am surprised no threads about Anti Asians hate crime in the US. I watched it once on YouTube and they give me video recommendations every day. It's like it occurs almost every day.

And I noticed the victims mostly women and or old.

MarylandMUFan

I am surprised no threads about Anti Asians hate crime in the US. I watched it once on YouTube and they give me video recommendations every day. It's like it occurs almost every day.

It's crazy. Especially since the crimes seem to be in urban areas with blue voters (meaning they are unlikely to be from people not influenced by Trump).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

So why not make a thread?

Carolina Red

Staff
-Non gun related-
My wife’s insurance covers 20 zofran for $0.78. (Zofran is a common nausea medication)

She had to go to the ER a few months ago and they gave her 1 single zofran. Got the bill in the mail today. They charged us $156 for it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
-Non gun related-
My wife’s insurance covers 20 zofran for $0.78. (Zofran is a common nausea medication)

She had to go to the ER a few months ago and they gave her 1 single zofran. Got the bill in the mail today. They charged us $156 for it.
When they talk about "platinum plans" this is not quite what I had in mind.

The biggest impediment to M4A is the insurance companies that will go under (and good riddance) and the drug companies that will no longer be able to charge 10X what they charge in the rest of the world. As with almost all the ills in the world, this one is a result of greed from a handful of people.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
-Non gun related-

Insane.

I went into the ER in 2017 for kidney stones. I was there for four hours, I was given a cc of
Morphine & a few ccs of Toradol for the pain & I had bloodwork done. I had to get a scan even though I didn’t want one as I knew exactly what it was & I just wanted the pain to subside through the Toradol.

My bill was just over $11K.

Dr. StrangeHate

Insane.

I went into the ER in 2017 for kidney stones. I was there for four hours, I was given a cc of
Morphine & a few ccs of Toradol for the pain & I had bloodwork done. I had to get a scan even though I didn’t want one as I knew exactly what it was & I just wanted the pain to subside through the Toradol.

Doesn't an insurance cover bills like this?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Insane.

Holy feck.

How is that legal ?

McGrathsipan

-Non gun related-

Can't you tell them to absolutely fick off ?

McGrathsipan

It's the price of freedom, my friend.
I'm never going to the USA again

I fell and cut my head in Cyprus on holiday and it cost €80 to get patched up.
Would I be looking at a few grand in the USA ?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Doesn't an insurance cover bills like this?
I had just started a new job & was a couple of weeks shy of getting insurance.

I forgot to mention that this was the negotiated ‘cash only’ price. It was in the neighborhood of 17K initially.

Dr. StrangeHate

I had just started a new job & was a couple of weeks shy of getting insurance.

I forgot to mention that this was the negotiated ‘cash only’ price. It was in the neighborhood of 17K initially.
So if you are unlucky enough to be unemployed or in between jobs you essentially can be screwed.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So if you are unlucky enough to be unemployed or in between jobs you essentially can be screwed.
Yep. Or you can choose COBRA for a short term which is its own price crush.

I am paying it off $25 / month, though. I will be done in 2054 (if I live that long). That’s what we negotiated after I learned all the artificial bullshit that was in the final bill. It was a bit mind blowing how the specific hospital to which I went charged for stuff.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is the two party system really the problem?
A lot of Dems also don't want to do anything meaningful on guns because it's just not a big issue for their voters.
One set of voters cares about the issue of guns a lot more than the other set.
Mass public start protesting, running media campaigns etc. You’ll soon see democrats put it on their manifesto if they think enough voters care. Repubs will never change, they know where the money comes from

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Insane.

That's fecked up. Had the same experience with kidney stones in July 2018. Didn't cost me a penny.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mass public start protesting, running media campaigns etc. You’ll soon see democrats put it on their manifesto if they think enough voters care. Repubs will never change, they know where the money comes from
That's my point. It's not the two party system that is the issue with guns. It's that the left/liberals/progressives generally don't care enough to make it a voting issue and in turn, their representatives don't care as well.
Guns are a constant campaign issue for the right. It is always at the forefront of their discussions, their representatives are always under constant pressure. I see no such thing on the other side.
There's an outrage for a day or two and we all forget it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That's my point. It's not the two party system that is the issue with guns. It's that the left/liberals/progressives generally don't care enough to make it a voting issue and in turn, their representatives don't care as well.
Guns are a constant campaign issue for the right. It is always at the forefront of their discussions, their representatives are always under constant pressure. I see no such thing on the other side.
There's an outrage for a day or two and we all forget it.
Sadly that’s true

Carolina Red

Staff
Can't you tell them to absolutely fick off ?
Ha. No. If you refuse to pay hospital bills the hospital will eventually send your bill to debt collection, in which you can be sued to have your wages garnished... which means they’ll get a court order to take to your employer to just start pulling the money out of your paycheck. Oh, and they’ll wreck your credit score, too.

Here’s a nice article about how it from The Atlantic:https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/08/medical-bill-debt-collection/596914/

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
-Non gun related-

That’s insane.

Side side note. I once had a summer job as a porter in fancy private hospital in Dublin. When I was doing nights I took great pleasure in logging onto the computer at front desk and seeing exactly how much Bono had been charged for some panadol and wound dressings. Very long time ago. GDPR wasn’t a thing, obviously!