Television The Boys

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thought it was a weak episode if I’m honest but that’s understandable considering last weeks and that the season finale is next week.

Loved the animated back story for Black Noir. Very cleverly done.
Best part of the entire series (3 seasons i mean) is the animated part of episode 7. Felt uncomfortable watching that tbh but it was great

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
On the Supes side looks like it's Noir, Maeve, Starlight, Kimiko, Hughie, Butcher vs Soldier Boy & Homelander. Neuman, A-Train and Deep still to figure in. A-Train seems to be on a redemption arc so I doubt he just randomly goes bad again. I don't really get where Deeps story is going, he just seems to be a random sidekick that is up to nothing and any conclusion to his arc this season is going to feel rushed. Neuman will probably side with Homelander, or she's been against him the whole time in cahoots with Edgar and maybe wants to usurp the presidential candidate we just saw - she either gets rid of an exposed Homelander for the popular vote or helps Homelander beat the 'insurrectionists' for the same end result. I wonder if Ryan will figure into it at all, the message so far being that the son can either become his father with Butcher vs his dad, or replace his father with Edgar wanting to get rid of Soldier Boy because his son would take his place etc. That could be what the address Neuman gave Homelander was, Mallories house or something and given that Butcher ended things on a really sour note with him he could be swayed with Butcher begging him not to become his dad like he did or something I dunno.

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Binge watched everything till S3E7 in the last three days.

Holy shit, why was I wasting my time with Obi Wan Kenobi rants when there was such a brilliant show to follow instead. Homelander and Butcher are superbly written characters.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't know how production works but it's a show with a big budget. You'd think they could build a small set in London and hire two young lads to make it sound decent.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Binge watched everything till S3E7 in the last three days.

Holy shit, why was I wasting my time with Obi Wan Kenobi rants when there was such a brilliant show to follow instead. Homelander and Butcher are superbly written characters.
This show really makes me sad they cant make star wars stuff of this quality.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
feck Butcher the ****, Ryan's got to go. Little dork ruined the best (potentially only?) chance to get rid of homelander. feck him. Matter of fact, that entire bloodline gotta go.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Wasn’t a great final episode truth be told. I’ll type some more thoughts up in the morning.

Hamnat

I liked the finale for the most part. But, a lot of twists I didn't see coming.

Noir went out so easy. After last episode I thought for sure he deserved a couple good licks on Soldier Boy before he died. Maeve on the other hand got a good showing here. She was doing better against Homelander by herself than Soldier Boy and Butcher. I like that they kept Soldier Boy alive. Starlight might not have even shown the beginnings of the limit to her power. She should be able to fly now and show much more than she has when she has access to the energy of a city.

Butcher only has himself to blame for Ryan now. Ryan needed him, and Butcher pushed him all the way to Homelander's arms to raise as a little nazi now.

Dante

Average bang
I think the writers were holding back in order to keep enough material for the next season. A lot more could have been answered in that finale if they wanted to. Though I'm sure it'll get resolved eventually.

But hopefully this show doesn't go down the route of Supernatural which lasted way past its sell by date. I think another 1 or at most 2 seasons will be perfect for The Boys.

Red Stone

It better not be two fecking years until season 4 the way they've left this. Was expecting more from the finale, to be honest. Nothing truly shocking happened other than Noir getting toasted so soon into it.

Zarlak

I am assuming

Butcher had to take more temp V for that final fight, did I blink and miss an explanation as to why he's not dead?

Also Soldier Boy exploded in mid air, and that caused Maeve to lose her powers, how on Earth did she survive the impact on the ground

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I am assuming

Butcher had to take more temp V for that final fight, did I blink and miss an explanation as to why he's not dead?

Also Soldier Boy exploded in mid air, and that caused Maeve to lose her powers, how on Earth did she survive the impact on the ground
Yes, because they want him in season 4. Did I miss somewhere it's supposed to be an instantaneous death?

And I really dislike that it seems they're writing out my eye candy. Why not kill her off then?

Disappointing finale, but great scene with Todd at the end :lol:

Zarlak

Yes, because they want him in season 4. Did I miss somewhere it's supposed to be an instantaneous death?

And I really dislike that it seems they're writing out my eye candy. Why not kill her off then?

Disappointing finale, but great scene with Todd at the end :lol:
Well it was stated that it kills people after 3-5 doses. If it's not a quick death, then you could take 20 doses, seemed like the show was pushing a narrative that it would be a fairly quick death after taking a 5th dose. I thought they'd have to take proper V as the way to get out of it, since their brains have both been leaking out of their ears for the last couple episodes.

I didn't mind the finale tbh, I get why some people would say it was disappointing but it was good enough for me. My only gripe really is that both the last 2 seasons have ended the same way with the big team up against Homelander with Ryan involved but nothing really gets resolved, and Neuman closes out the episode to set up the next season. I feel like nothing was really accomplished here, they broke Soldier Boy out only to put him back under, Homelander still isn't dead, the whole Neuman head popping arc keeps getting teased and delayed, there was a big fight but going in to season 4 is really no different to the situation they were in at the start of season 3, the whole season hasn't really accomplished anything - but it was hella entertaining.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Well it was stated that it kills people after 3-5 doses. If it's not a quick death, then you could take 20 doses, seemed like the show was pushing a narrative that it would be a fairly quick death after taking a 5th dose. I thought they'd have to take proper V as the way to get out of it, since their brains have both been leaking out of their ears for the last couple episodes.

I didn't mind the finale tbh, I get why some people would say it was disappointing but it was good enough for me. My only gripe really is that both the last 2 seasons have ended the same way with the big team up against Homelander with Ryan involved but nothing really gets resolved, and Neuman closes out the episode to set up the next season.
Oh, yeah, that makes sense. I like your explanation.

I thought the set up for next episode was Homelander killing a lefty more so than Neumann running. The latter only would have been a silent coup, now he's outed himself.

Zarlak

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. I like your explanation.

I thought the set up for next episode was Homelander killing a lefty more so than Neumann running. The latter only would have been a silent coup, now he's outed himself.
Possibly, it'll be interesting to see where they go.

The whole point of 3 seasons was to kill Homelander, but now all avenues for that are gone unless another magic supe weapon is uncovered, now Homelander is pulling a Trump 'I could shoot someone dead on 5th avenue and not lose any voters' with his fan base cheering him but the story is seemingly going to center around taking down Neuman. So while they go after her, Homelander is going to have free reign with Ryan and I'm wondering what the threat to him is supposed to be in season 4, or if we just spend less time with him as a character. I wonder if we're going to have 2 simultaneous storylines going, or if they manage to convince Neuman to fight Homelander since she's on a democratic ticket and he's revealed himself to be super far right, but that's kind of at odds with them setting up her as the season 4 target.

Red Stone

Possibly, it'll be interesting to see where they go.

The whole point of 3 seasons was to kill Homelander, but now all avenues for that are gone unless another magic supe weapon is uncovered, now Homelander is pulling a Trump 'I could shoot someone dead on 5th avenue and not lose any voters' with his fan base cheering him but the story is seemingly going to center around taking down Neuman. So while they go after her, Homelander is going to have free reign with Ryan and I'm wondering what the threat to him is supposed to be in season 4, or if we just spend less time with him as a character. I wonder if we're going to have 2 simultaneous storylines going, or if they manage to convince Neuman to fight Homelander since she's on a democratic ticket and he's revealed himself to be super far right, but that's kind of at odds with them setting up her as the season 4 target.
The biggest strength of the entire show by far is when Homelander is in the shit and on the verge of losing it, because he's the best and most interesting character and Antony Starr absolutely slays the acting, especially when he needs to be a bit unhinged. They need to set him up to feel comfortable and in control again so they can start rattling his foundations in different ways. If next season isn't the last season there's definitely going to be an arc where Ryan starts distancing himself somehow, but I can't really see a way for them to either kill off Homelander or take away his powers and still continue the show. I suspect Butcher and Homelander will die together when the show ends for good.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Great season, though agree not enough resolved in the finale. I never totally understand the limits of the supe's healing tbh. Like, Noir got pretty badly hurt a bunch of times, but that gut punch is the end? Ok, but feel like Kimiko could survive that. Anyway.
I'm not sure what else interesting they can do with Homelander now. Agree he's the best actor in the show, but I feel like his arch was perfectly setup to die this episode (with Soldier Boy) doing something noble by saving Ryan. It writes itself, Solider Boy does the big nuke and Homelander crouches over Ryan to save him, you get the 'from the front shot' of him tearfully telling Ryan he loves him and then from behind you see there's like nothing left of him. Doneso, the world then has to deal with the political stuff and a terrifying lil superman with some serious issues.

Homelander is basically invincible now. I guess you could have head-popper threaten Ryan, but realistically Homelander can end anyone anytime he wants.

Anywho, great show, hopefully not long a hiatus now.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Great season, though agree not enough resolved in the finale. I never totally understand the limits of the supe's healing tbh. Like, Noir got pretty badly hurt a bunch of times, but that gut punch is the end? Ok, but feel like Kimiko could survive that. Anyway.
I'm not sure what else interesting they can do with Homelander now. Agree he's the best actor in the show, but I feel like his arch was perfectly setup to die this episode (with Soldier Boy) doing something noble by saving Ryan. It writes itself, Solider Boy does the big nuke and Homelander crouches over Ryan to save him, you get the 'from the front shot' of him tearfully telling Ryan he loves him and then from behind you see there's like nothing left of him. Doneso, the world then has to deal with the political stuff and a terrifying lil superman with some serious issues.

Homelander is basically invincible now. I guess you could have head-popper threaten Ryan, but realistically Homelander can end anyone anytime he wants.

The show would be over in that proposed ending and it would be really out of character for a narcissist like Homelander.

My biggest issue with the ending is that soldier boy resurfacing didn't make an impact. If they decide to bring him back (doubt it) whatever would ensue might as well have happened this season...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I feel giving Homelander a redemption like arch would be out of character really.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Agree with Zarlak, it was a very enjoyable season but that finale kind of left us where we were at the start but with a potentially evil Ryan now thrown into the mix. Did feel a lot like they needed to amp how much of a dick Soldier Boy is in that final episode just so they could make him public enemy #1 when we've had 3 full seasons of Homelander being an absolutely incredible cnut. Him just walking away and leaving them all was very reminiscent of last season and doesn't sit quite right with me.

And yes,
Maeve
would have died from the fall.

Noir's
ending was just sad. Genuinely thought he'd show back up again.

"Libtard" followed by the lazer head explosion gave me a genuine belly laugh at the end.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Great season, though agree not enough resolved in the finale. I never totally understand the limits of the supe's healing tbh. Like, Noir got pretty badly hurt a bunch of times, but that gut punch is the end?
Noir's
ending was just sad. Genuinely thought he'd show back up again.
I think there's a good chance we'll see him again. I don't know if it'll be he survived the attack or he gets repurposed in some macabre way, but I think it's unlikely that's it for him. Another fakeout when there's been a lot recently admittedly, but with the way he had no memorial video/tribute like Maeve, has survived having his brains bashed out prior I don't think this is it for him in the show.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I feel giving Homelander a redemption like arch would be out of character really.
Yeah, that's probably right. I suppose they might instead:
Have Homelander either accidentally or deliberately murder Ryan, then absolutely lose the plot. Though they kinda already did the totally nuts Homelander.

Dante

Average bang
I'm seeing all these posts on social media about Norrie and assuming that people just accidentally misspelled Noir.

Dante

Average bang
I think Ryan will end up stronger than Homelander the same way Homelander was stronger than Soldier Boy. It's all leading up to him being the ultimate baddy.

Still a little unsure about the direction they're going with Neumann. I would have liked to have seen more of her this season.

mu4c_20le

Best part of the episode was the look between Butcher and Homelander. The ones who watched it should know what im talking about. I'm pretty happy with the finale, a few cop outs here and there but twas expected.

Ekeke

Enjoyed the twists and turns of the finale. My favourite episode of the series I think, pretty much felt like a real superhero team by the end and I'm excited to see them continue. I did buy the Maeve death and was sad for a bit, then she got a decently nice ending in terms of her character. It takes away from the emotion of the episode for her to live but it gives her that good sendoff.

I wish they were doing a bit more with the show now than just another season. Like a video game or something. That would be fun. It would be the most GTA-like superhero game :lol:

I'm very much considering going back and reading all the comics though thats at least something to do with it even though the show is its own thing