The David Beckham Appreciation Thread

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But why has he become such a national and sporting icon for so many? Why was he the figure head behind Englands World Cup bid? Why is he one of the most photographed people in the world? Why was he at the Royal Wedding? And the worst of all why did the BBC hand him a lifetime achievement award?

Is it all down to his footballing ability?
Great footballer + Good looking + Great role model = The most marketable player the game has seen.

What other boxes does one need to tick to be marketable really?

I'm always right

But why has he become such a national and sporting icon for so many? Why was he the figure head behind Englands World Cup bid? Why is he one of the most photographed people in the world? Why was he at the Royal Wedding? And the worst of all why did the BBC hand him a lifetime achievement award?

Why the feck is Vinnie Jones in hollywood? why is he mates with Brad Pitt, why is he an LA celebrity?

Erm.... NO.

So fecking what. Him being good at other stuff besides kicking a ball doesn't mean anything, we don't suddenly think Vinnie was a great footballer because he's now a celeb.

amolbhatia50k

Why the feck is Vinnie Jones in hollywood? why is he mates with Brad Pitt, why is he an LA celebrity?

Erm.... NO.

So fecking what. Him being good at other stuff besides kicking a ball doesn't mean anything, we don't suddenly think Vinnie was a great footballer because he's now a celeb.
Exactly. It's silly to criticize him for being a far far better role model than other top players and being lucky enough to be given looks like that. Fair play to the guy and well done I say.

He loves this club like we do, and he played for us rather superbly. I don't know why some people have so much against him. People forget that he was a HUGE part of the 'United boom' in the 90's. That's when we made incredible commercial strides. And of course Fergie was the biggest reason as was our success, but the Beckham appeal in all that should not be underestimated. But it's important not to forget that he was also a fine footballer.

Waltraute

She-Devil
But it's important not to forget that he was also a fine footballer.
I honestly think the silly celebrity nonsense makes many people underrate him as a footballer.

While I understand where Randall is coming from, I simply don't agree with the basic premise of the argument -- that he's being lauded as a greater footballer than e.g. Scholes or Giggs. Quite the opposite, in fact -- Beckham has a high media profile as a celebrity, while his actual footballing skills are more or less forgotten about by the press and the general public.

While I won't deny that his public persona rubs me the wrong way, I have nothing but respect and admiration for him as a footballer. The way we've squandered set pieces this season, I've honestly found myself missing him so much it hurts.

EricaNo7

Disagree, he is actually under-rated by the majority who remember him for his off the field actions rather than his on the field actions. You don't play for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan, if you're not a special player.
Unless of course you are such a celebrity that you can sell hundreds of thousands of shirts.

Ixion

I always thought Beckham was one of our best players during one of our most successful ever periods, but maybe he was just a celebrity there to sell shirts and carried by the rest of the team. Makes the Treble team all the more amazing that they were playing with 10 men all that time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It just annoys me that his image has put him in some eyes as one of our and the worlds greatest ever players. Because he was not.
Nobody who actually knows anything about football regards him as one of the greatest ever players. That's the mistake you are making. The media attention is completely separate from how he's rated as a footballer. Just because he's got the most attention doesn't mean anyone thinks he's the best ever.

Obviously the media attention is out of wack. But when you ignore the celebrity attention and just look at how he is actually rated him as a footballer, he is definitely under-rated by most. Largely as a direct reaction to the general media attention. He was, along with Figo and Giggs, one of the three best wingers of the last two decades until Ronaldo and Messi decided to rip up the blueprint. That's more than enough for me to consider him a great player, not just a good one.

He was terrific in 99, but Yorke, Cole, Stam, Keane, Giggs and Scholes all were too. Did he have a better season than all them? (Maybe one or two of them but certainly not all)
Only Keane was better.

amolbhatia50k

he was a damn good player, you're right, but we've had a lot who were better, imo, and who didn't get all the adulation.
What sort of adulation?

Scholes and Giggs have plenty of adulation from the footballing fraternity and fans alike. Everyone who knows anything about the game rates them incredibly high.

But seriously, when someone has all the tools to be a marketing God, then of course they will get that attention? I don't see why Giggs or Scholes deserve the same media space as David Beckham. He is clearly more capable in that regard given his personality and looks. He appeals to a lot more people than the those two, in that there is a different audience that appreciates him for more. He has more 'appeal', lets put it that way.

I don't see the need to connect the two to be honest.

amolbhatia50k

i could never see what all the fuss was about, loved him when he played for us, but very disappointed when he wanted to leave.

Ronaldo is an adonis compared to him, imho
But clearly that isn't how the majority of people see it so fair play to him. Mind you, he conducts himself in a much more classy and likeable manner than Ronaldo.

davisjw

Beckham has been a class A role model since he was given the limelight. And even through all this celebrity nonsense he has held his head up high, dealt with the criticism and gave two large ones to his critics by continuing to prove them wrong. Him, Neville, Giggs, and Scholes have all done well in their own ways to uphold themselves.

reelworld

Unless of course you are such a celebrity that you can sell hundreds of thousands of shirts.
Eh? He became a key player for Milan and Madrid, especially for the latter last Championship title. He was doubted in Milan, but proved himself to be a key member of the team, even overtaking freekick duties from Pirlo. He was doubted before in Madrid when Capello came in and didn't play at first when the Italian took over, but again, he proved himself and making it impossible for Capello to leave him out.
As was said, you don't become a key player for Milan and Madrid if you're not a special player.

Scoreboard Red

Had the pleasure of meeting Beckham a number of times during the 1990's, used to watch the youth team down the Cliff in the early 90's or down Littleton Rd sometimes.
As he was in digs close to my school, we'd see him out and about, sometimes copping off with birds from our school (many claimed to have snogged him or more).
Had a good old chat with him one night at WB cinema at Pilsworth, we were going to watch Goldeneye and him and G-Nev were there with two absolute glamours. When I saw him again a few months later he nodded and asked how the film was.
Last time I saw him was at a place called Chicago Rock in Bury, went there with my family for my sisters birthday and he walked past with Nev again (who was never as courteous), and he shook my dad's hand as he walked past.
A proper gent...

Waltraute

She-Devil
he was a damn good player, you're right, but we've had a lot who were better, imo, and who didn't get all the adulation.
I don't think you'll find anyone with more than a very fleeting interest in football who'd claim Beckham was a better player than e.g. Robson, Scholes or Giggs.
I don't interpret the trappings of worldwide celebrity (constantly in the press; recieving lots of meaningless awards; invited to the royal wedding etc) as adulation of Beckham the footballer, and I think a player like Scholes is just happy to avoid all of that nonsense.

The Chief is right when he says Beckham's celebrity has its foundation in his prowess on the pitch -- my point is simply that him being a mainstream celebrity, whilst a superior player and United legend like Robson is not doesn't hinge on how they're regarded as footballers, even by the general public. Most celebrities have done absolutely sod all to deserve their adulation -- at least Beckham was a great player, who came into his own and had his peak years while at United. Don't let the glitz and cheese and cringeworthy underwear ads blind you to this basic fact.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I don't think you'll find anyone with more than a very fleeting interest in football who'd claim Beckham was a better player than e.g. Robson, Scholes or Giggs.
I don't interpret the trappings of worldwide celebrity (constantly in the press; recieving lots of meaningless awards; invited to the royal wedding etc) as adulation of Beckham the footballer, and I think a player like Scholes is just happy to avoid all of that nonsense.

The Chief is right when he says Beckham's celebrity has its foundation in his prowess on the pitch -- my point is simply that him being a mainstream celebrity, whilst a superior player and United legend like Robson is not doesn't hinge on how they're regarded as footballers, even by the general public. Most celebrities have done absolutely sod all to deserve their adulation -- at least Beckham was a great player, who came into his own and had his peak years while at United. Don't let the glitz and cheese and cringeworthy underwear ads blind you to this basic fact.
Well said.

Denis' cuff

always polarises opinion :smirk:

excellent player, over-rated by some and dismissed by others but certainly not as influential as Robson, Schmikes, Eric, Keane, and ultimately Giggs or Scholes nor many before them.

Could've been but chose his own path - shame for allconcerned really

B Cantona

Desperate
I think the best midfield in the history of English football was Giggs, Scholes, Keane and Beckham. And the latter was far from making up the numbers there

Not sure he gets the credit his game deserves to be honest, certainly when I read some of the comments in threads like this

Denis' cuff

I think the best midfield in the history of English football was Giggs, Scholes, Keane and Beckham. And the latter was far from making up the numbers there

Not sure he gets the credit his game deserves to be honest, certainly when I read some of the comments in threads like this
bit of a bold statement to say the least but it's hard to better that mf and Beckham was a vital part of that without question - but some over value him as much as others put him down. What more is there to it than that? Had he stayed and played as well as he had up until/before his last 2.5 years he would unquestionably be held in the same esteem as the other three. Keane had a greater influence and through their sheer longevity the other two will always be held in higher regard apart from their obvious ability

I'm always right

Agreed.

bit of a bold statement to say the least but it's hard to better that mf and Beckham was a vital part of that without question - but some over value him as much as others put him down. What more is there to it than that? Had he stayed and played as well as he had up until/before his last 2.5 years he would unquestionably be held in the same esteem as the other three. Keane had a greater influence and through their sheer longevity the other two will always be held in higher regard apart from their obvious ability
Staying long at United should not be a prerequisite for respect. I mean Beckham also went to Spain and Italy and was ace in both places, that alone proves his class. I find it strange that people who diss Becks for leaving are the same ones who hold the great Dane in such high esteem. Despite him never finishing his career at OT.

Denis' cuff

Staying long at United should not be a prerequisite for respect. I mean Beckham also went to Spain and Italy and was ace in both places, that alone proves his class. I find it strange that people who diss Becks for leaving are the same ones who hold the great Dane in such high esteem. Despite him never finishing his career at OT.
staying at United and maintaining the standard they have done is though - Schmeichel maintained his commitment to the club up until he left - Beckham didn't. After the way the whole country hung him out to dry after France 98 and his only refuge waas OT - the club and fans got behind him yet he went out of his way to suck up to Fleet St and Ingerlund to the detriment of his United career. Not saying the two issues were entirely linked because his wife's career was key to his demise probably more than owt else but the lines were somewhat blurred and linked at the same time.

staying at United and maintaining the standard they have done is though - Schmeichel maintained his commitment to the club up until he left -
Sure. That is why he finished his career at Man City, in the EPL with another club. Honestly its a weak argument to use. Becks has been as committed to United as some think big Peter has.
Probably even more so.

I think some people just hate Becks because he is the pretty boy with a pop star wife, enjoying every bit of such a life. Whilst still playing football.

because his wife's career was key to his demise .....
What demise? Leaving a United to get to play at Real Madrid with the Zidane's and then at Ac Milan as your career is winding down is hardly a demise.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He'll always polarise opinions which is understandable to a degree but like Brad says some play down his contributions to ridiculous levels. He was a fantastic player for us and I'll always remember his time here fondly, it's a shame he departed and the way it went down was unfortunate, but he's shown his class since and his ability has seen him playing for the top teams in Europe. Great player, and seemingly a great guy.

Denis' cuff

Sure. That is why he finished his career at Man City, in the EPL with another club. Honestly its a weak argument to use. Becks has been as committed to United as some think big Peter has.
Probably even more so.

I think some people just hate Becks because he is the pretty boy with a pop star wife, enjoying every bit of such a life. Whilst still playing football.

What demise? Leaving a United to get to play at Real Madrid with the Zidane's and then at Ac Milan as your career is winding down is hardly a demise.
Frankly I'm not really that arsed either way - I have some great memories of his time with us but just think his celebrity got the better of him

you talk about weak arguments and then cite the fact that he went to Madrid whilst Zidane was there as justificatiion even though he had a mixed time of it whilst Madrid were merely collecting "names" and hardly set the world on fire. Going to other big clubs merely to make his cv look good but they were really a shadow of their previous sides

at least Schmikes came clean and said that he'd had enough of the pressure of being no 1 at OT (with little or no rotation) and wanted to go somewhere where the pressure wasn't so great - like I said, Schmikes gave 100% to the end which is a lot more than Beckham did - by all means hold him in the highest esteem but keep some perspective. I've given him due recognition for his time at OT but don't expect me to put him alongside Giggs, Robbo etc. That's all - why do some of you get so excited when somebody fails to actually worship his every deed.

iguanamanc

Like the sad ol' git that I am, last week I sat and watched the video of the 1999 Treble season all over again. I forgot just how many goals Beckham made, especially for Cole and Yorke during that season with crosses from the right wing.

I for one tended to underestimate how good a footballer he was, because he wasn't a conventional winger with pace and dribbling ability. He eventually just became too big a personality, and Fergie was not going to let that happen at the expense of the team and the club as a whole. That said, Beckham's career hardly suffered, at least until he went to LA, and he is a fantastic ambassador for English football. United legend though - no.

you talk about weak arguments and then cite the fact that he went to Madrid whilst Zidane was there as justificatiion even though he had a mixed time of it whilst Madrid were merely collecting "names" and hardly set the world on fire.
The Galacticos were a top team even with out wining many things. He also helped win the league for Real Madrid after he was returned to the team after being wrongfully ostracized. Beating a very good Barca team to the title in the process.

Going to other big clubs merely to make his cv look good but they were really a shadow of their previous sides
:lol:

at least Schmikes came clean and said that he'd had enough of the pressure of being no 1 at OT (with little or no rotation) and wanted to go somewhere where the pressure wasn't so great - like I said, Schmikes gave 100% to the end which is a lot more than Beckham did - by all means hold him in the highest esteem but keep some perspective.
No mate, its you who needs perspective. Becks never gave us anything less than 100%. In the end it was the playing style of the team that out grew him. Both he and SAF new Becks and rotation could never work, because of the level of player he was, added to the media cloud that surrounded his every move. Staying together was never going to work, so they went separate ways amicably. Its fans who tend to hold these silly grudges against him yet bigging up people who went and even played for our noisy neighbors. It's like it was such a crime for Becks to go else where and actually enjoy it.

I've given him due recognition for his time at OT but don't expect me to put him alongside Giggs, Robbo etc. That's all - why do some of you get so excited when somebody fails to actually worship his every deed.
How silly. How am I worshiping his every deed? :rolleyes:

All I'm telling people like you to do is to stop being hypocrites. Don't use silly excuses to bring down Beckham while using those same things to defend other players who you happen to like more. I could care less if you like Beckham. I do care however that you are willing to disrespect a player who served our club faithfully to the end. Just because he looks pretty and has a pop star wife and revels in it. That is as petty as they come in terms of things to do. After all I know a legend at United who did far worse to United and had a bigger media frenzy surrounding him. But yet ya'll look at him as a god.

He'll always polarise opinions which is understandable to a degree but like Brad says some play down his contributions to ridiculous levels. He was a fantastic player for us and I'll always remember his time here fondly, it's a shame he departed and the way it went down was unfortunate, but he's shown his class since and his ability has seen him playing for the top teams in Europe. Great player, and seemingly a great guy.
Indeed. But its all very polemic with him. People either like him or hate him in equal measure.

Very, very true.
People on here talk of him like he was a glorified Owen Hargreaves only famous for his looks and his wife.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He was up there with the greatest in terms of positioning and set piece delivery, not because he's talented, but because he puts efforts in doing it. With all his looks and fortune, he still manages his high standard of free kicks up to his very last days, and to me that's not something a poshy marketing boy could ever keep up with.

He did gave his all, he was getting stiches from a boot ffs, imagine if your boss did that to you, would you still be the angel face and having the restraing he has shown?