The David Beckham Appreciation Thread

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
David and Victoria aren't very good at naming children.
Oh, I don't know, they're quite good at giving their children stupid enough names to ensure everyone talks about it. They've done another sterling job.

davisjw

Legend in my eyes, always will be. Even when he was traded, he was still a great ambassador for the team.

Devil through and through. When he was out there for Gary's last match, he looked like a kid getting his first minutes in for the team. Huge smile on his face the entire time.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Legend in my eyes, always will be. Even when he was traded, he was still a great ambassador for the team.

Devil through and through. When he was out there for Gary's last match, he looked like a kid getting his first minutes in for the team. Huge smile on his face the entire time.
:lol:

Yeah I would look sad if I was flown over to OT to play in a friendly before being flown back to my mansion in LA.

Anderson8

Imagine one of our players missed a game to play in a friendly?

How did that go down with LA Galaxy fans, does anyone know?
I know mate, I know.

But from Beckham's perspective this is one of his best mates, and one of his team-mates from the 'Fergie's Fledglings' testimonial, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to play. I'm sure he'd rather play in this game than for the Galaxy.

I know from supporting a similar team to LA Galaxy, Perth Glory in Australia when we recently had Robbie Fowler, if he had to go back to play in one of his old mates testimonials (the size of Scholes) instead of playing an A-League game for us, I would be disappointed but would understand the decision. It's all part of the package of having players like Beckham at a club like LA Galaxy.

Anderson8

Galaxy are way bigger than Glory. Although that said Beckham is way bigger than Fowler so I suppose proportionally its the same.

I'll shut up now.
Just using it as an example, because it's similar. Teams playing in a country not recognised by the main footballing world, with high profile players (although Beckham > Fowler, yes), who have connections with other high profile players. I'm well aware Fowler never did miss a game for a testimonial, but he did miss a few games just to go back to England to see his family, to which the reaction was mixed.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Just using it as an example, because it's similar. Teams playing in a country not recognised by the main footballing world, with high profile players (although Beckham > Fowler, yes), who have connections with high profile players. I'm well aware Fowler never did miss a game for a testimonial, but he did miss a few games just to go back to England to see his family, to which the reaction was mixed.
I know he did miss some (I can't remember specifically what for, although I recall being a bit miffed that he missed a few games just to pop up doing pundit work on English TV) but I'd argue that the MLS is a respectable league whereas the A League is firmly a Mickey Mouse league.

It's a bit of a moot point really - D Beck can do what D Beck wants

Anderson8

Of course, Becks will do what he wants, and hopefully that's come and play in Scholesy's testimonial. But we're talking about how the LA fans will react?

As for A-League vs MLS, at this moment in time the A-League is primarily a mini-MLS, because it hasn't been around nearly as long. I know that when Becks has brought out LA for pre-season games, you can hardly tell the difference in standard, and usually the A-League side wins. Although I agree the MLS is far ahead in terms of credibility.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
David Beckham is sitting in an executive box overlooking the pitch at the Home Depot Center.

He looks fit and happy.

The California sun is beating down outside.

Later, he will drive back to his house in Beverly Hills and collect his children from school. Maybe take them down to the beach in Santa Monica.

His three sons are obsessed with football, just like he was. They play all the time. A few evenings during the week and Saturdays and Sundays, too.

They love baseball. They love America.

He and his wife, Victoria, have a daughter now, too. Their family is complete. Life for England’s most capped outfield player is sweet.

But as Beckham sits there, his mind drifts back to the point where, in many ways, the foundations for this enchanted existence of his were laid.

He sees a man walking into a room at Old Trafford with a birthday cake in his hand and a 14-year-old boy gazing up at him with a wide smile.

And then he remembers going into an office, accompanied by his proud mother and father, and sitting down with the man to sign his first Manchester United contract.

That was where this life of his all began for Beckham: in Sir Alex Ferguson’s office.

He can trace all the happiness he enjoys now right back to that moment 22 years ago.

That’s the reason why, as he sits here on another continent, Beckham, the most famous product of Ferguson’s 25 years in charge at United, wants to pay tribute to him to mark his quarter of a century as United boss.

They may have had differences towards the end of Beckham’s spell at Old Trafford, differences that even resulted in the player being cut over the eye by a flying boot.

But Beckham, 36, knows how much he owes the greatest manager this country has ever had and the gratitude that he feels towards him comes spilling out.

“My favourite memory of Sir Alex isn’t anything to do with winning the Champions League or any of the league titles I won with United,” said Beckham. “It’s the day I signed for him.

“I was sitting at Old Trafford before one of the games and it was my birthday. He brought a cake out and he was just about to go into a game with the team.

“I have still got the picture in my house. It’s one of my favourite pictures - me kind of leaning down signing the paper that was my first contract at United with him next to me. That is my best memory of Sir Alex.

“When I first went to Old Trafford as a young boy, you had the feeling straight away of it being a family club with a welcoming atmosphere. It was a big family.

“That’s the reason I wanted to play for Manchester United.

"I was a huge Manchester United fan as a kid but if I had got a bad feeling when I first went up there, that might have changed.

“But the moment I stepped into being a part of that family, well, the way the manager treated young players like me was the reason why they wanted to play for Manchester United.

“The moment I got up to Manchester and moved into my digs, his [Ferguson's] door was open whenever I needed it. He had an arm round me when I was a young kid. He always said the door’s open.

“I was a little bit afraid to go into his office but he always made me feel that if I had problems, he would be there to help and give advice.

“I was only a young kid who had just signed for the club so I wasn’t even a youth team player at that stage. But he made me feel as if I was playing in the first team already.”

Beckham’s relationship with Ferguson, 69, soured briefly in February 2003, when the United manager kicked a discarded football boot across the Old Trafford dressing room.

It hit Beckham above the eye and cut him and, amid reports of simmering tension between the two men, Beckham was sold to Real Madrid at the end of the season.

But the rift was quickly healed and Beckham is happy to acknowledge that, after his parents, Fergie has been the dominant influence in his career.

“He wanted to kill me at times, I’m sure,” he added, “but he was a father figure to me and he was also the man who gave me the chance of playing for my dream club.

“My parents brought me up to a certain level and then Sir Alex took over. There were a lot of people along the way: Eric Harrison, Nobby Stiles, Brian Kidd, but Sir Alex was the man who gave me my chance.

“There are no hard feelings from me about the boot in the face thing. It was forgotten straight away, within the club and within the team.

“There were other people who continued to speculate and talk about it but, with me and the boss, it had been forgotten the day after.

“As a manager, he’s got everything. That’s what is great about him. He has got the staying power that not many people have.

“To have the passion that he has had over the years and to still have it at his age after having 25 years as manager of one club, that says it all.

“You don’t get the success that he has had without upsetting a few people along the way and he is not afraid to do that. He is old school but he has adapted when he has needed to at Manchester United. I am honoured to have played under him.”

Now, when the two men meet, Beckham revealed, they meet as friends.

“It was a bit icy the first time I came back with Real Madrid,” he said, “but that went very quickly. There is a lot of warmth between us now.

“I have got a huge amount of respect for him and what he did over the years and the chance he gave me and all my friends in that great United youth team to play for Manchester United. It was a real dream for all of us.”

Even Ferguson’s notorious outbursts of temper have melted into affectionate memories for Beckham now.

“The fear of getting the hairdryer was the reason why we all played so well,” he smiled. “He was a manager you wanted to do well for.

“It’s not enough just to be a great player when you want to play for him. He puts you in the side because he has confidence in you as a player and because you have character.

“That’s exactly how he was and that’s exactly how he still is. That’s how he has been over the years and that’s why he’s been so successful.”

Read more: David Beckham exclusive interview: I owe it all to Alex Ferguson the Manchester United and England hero tells Mirror Oliver Holt as Fergie celebrates 25 years as Old Trafford boss - Mirror Football Blog - MirrorFootball.co.uk
Also put in a MOTM performance with 2 assist to send LA to the semifinal.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Considering the likes of Rooney, Rio, Heinze, Tevez, etc.

Beckham have been quite admireable with his conducts for all his time here.

Have always been my favorite player.
The more time passes, the more I adore him. Such a fantastic role model, I wish every player under 30 would take a leaf out of his book. A true legend.

Anyway, he's won the MLS cup with LA Galaxy:
Team Beckham cheer David on as he secures his Hollywood ending by lifting the MLS cup for LA Galaxy | Mail Online

After all these years, you can stil see the pure joy of winning things and loving football in his face. One in a million. Congratulations to him.

I'm always right

Some career he's had, always a story book ending.

Ended his United career lifting the Premier League trophy.

Ended his Madrid career lifting La Liga.

Ended his LA career winning the MLS.

not bad eh?

Ixion

Won the league in 3 different countries, doubt many can say that.

kietotheworld

Some career he's had, always a story book ending.

Ended his United career lifting the Premier League trophy.

Ended his Madrid career lifting La Liga.

Ended his LA career winning the MLS.

not bad eh?
Wouldn't surprise me if ended his international career with an Olympic Gold as well.

davisjw

I used to think he'd retire in LA, but reading the way MLS and LA are talking about things, it seems a conclusion: Beckham is going to France.

Make fun of his public life all you want, but Beckham is one of England's most stout warriors. He's up for anything and he's beating on every door to get on the Olympic team. I'd love to see him and Giggs there, together, in a competitive game once more. Would be absolute ace.

Well done Becks and I'm sure a French title is in your grasp too.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Many congrats to him, two Supporters Shields and one MLS Cup. Not a bad return.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
He played well last night even with an injury. I thought he should have been MOM but it was always going to go to the goalscorer. He was given lots of room, lots more than he'll get in the EPL or French League for that matter. He did waste a lot of possession but to be honest he made some lovely long balls and when it didn't come off it didn't really matter at this level. Wonderful to see him win the title again. Hope he lifts a trophy for Team GB too!

CheadleBeagle

Well done Becks. Always loved him and sure he is not the greatest player ever but he has made the most out of the skills he has and always gives 100%. I hope he is on the Olympic team and if Giggs is too that would be great. I hope Beckham eventually comes back to us in some capacity.