The Double Draft

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sorry for the delay, just got back and got something sent over. feel free to throw it up now if you want. I'm probably not around much tomorrow (if at all) and I think @Pat_Mustard is working on his alcohol tolerance :p
Got it - I'll start the match presently. The others may not be around right now, but they'll have all day tomorrow - looks a bit unpredictable at the moment who will be around for what, so I think it's best to just get it thrown up for that reason as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Sorry for the delay, just got back and got something sent over. feel free to throw it up now if you want. I'm probably not around much tomorrow (if at all) and I think @Pat_Mustard is working on his alcohol tolerance :p
He's not the only one this weekend.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Holdover Player Profiles

OLIVER KAHN

Ballon D'Or: 2001 (3rd) 2002 (3rd)
FIFA World Player of the Year: 2002 (2nd)
European Keeper of the Year: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
IFFHS World's Best Goakeeeper: 1999, 2001, 2002
UEFA Best Goalkeeper: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Bundesliga Keeper of the Year: 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
German Footballer of the Year: 2000, 2001
FIFA World Cup Golden Ball: 2002
EURO Winner: 1996
FIFA World Cup: 2002 (2nd) 2006 (3rd)
Bundesliga: 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2001

A goalkeeping behemoth - Kahn was a vocal, imperious presence, with his aggressive demeanor earning him the nickname 'The Titan'. In addition to his World Class technique, distribution, and shot-stopping abilities, Kahn is widely admired for the stamina, mental strength and leadership and is one of only six goalkeepers to place in the Top Three of the Ballon d'Or.

ALESSANDRO NESTA

Serie A Defender of the Year: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
EURO Team of the Tournament: 2000
UEFA Ultimate Team
UEFA Team of the Year: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007
FIFPro World XI: 2005, 2007
Serie A Winner: 1999, 2004, 2011
World Cup Winner: 2006
UEFA Champions League Winner: 2003, 2007
EURO Finalist: 2000

Alessandro Nesta is one of the 10 greatest footballers in history when it comes to pure defensive skill, and without a doubt, the greatest central defender of the last 20 years - in all of world football.

To borrow a quote from @Enigma_87:
He won 5th European footballer of the year in 2000, was the best defender in the world in early 2000s which he won defender of the year almost every season. He was known for pace, strength, tackling, positional sense, tactical awareness, vision and technical ability unbecoming of a central defender – to name but a few of his qualities. He is a centre forward’s worst nightmare – a defender with no weaknesses to exploit, an irresistible force, an uncompromising machine that will, no matter the occasion, no matter the situation, remain focused on his sole mission: to stop the other team from scoring.

OBDULIO VARELA

IFFHS South America Player of the Century: #13
1942 Copa America MVP
1950 FIFA World Cup All-Stars Team
1950 World Cup Winner
1942 Copa América Winner
Copa Baron vs Brazil: 1940, 1946, 1948
Uruguayan Primera División: 1944, 1945, 1949, 1951, 1953, 1954

Known as the “Negro Jefe” (Black Chief), Obdulio Varela got his nickname ever since, contradicting all the odds, Uruguay beat an exceptional Brazil side in the World Cup final of 1950. Varela was captain of the team and drove it to victory, with Uruguay coming from behind to score twice in front of a world-record 200,000 spectators.

That win is recalled as a miracle and made Obdulio Varela immortal in the eyes of the Uruguayan people. Varela's defensive prowess choked the life out of the Brazilian attack and his ball distribution lead to the two goals scored by Schiaffino and Ghiggia. When the whistle blew the silence was ominous; as Rimet himself, who was in attendance, put it "The silence was morbid, sometimes too difficult to bear."

In 1940, 1946 and 1948, Uruguay had won the Baron de Rio Branco Cup and his club team Peñarol had won the Uruguayan league championship on six occasions. He was 37 when the national team travelled to defend their title in 1954 - Varela was then the oldest ever player to have appeared in a World Cup, but that didn’t affect his game. Czechoslovakia and Scotland were beaten comfortably in the first round before Uruguay also beat England 4-2 in the quarterfinal when Varela picked up a leg injury.

This injury prevented Varela playing the semi-final against Hungary and Uruguay ultimately lost 4-2 after extra time. Varela ended his World Cup career unbeaten in seven matches and many people believe a full strength Uruguay team would have beaten the magic Hungarians.

RONALDINHO

World Soccer World Player of the Year: 2004, 2005
FIFA World Player of the Year: 2004, 2005
Ballon D'Or: 2005
UEFA Forward of the Year: 2005
UEFA Footballer of the Year: 2006
UEFA Team of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2006
Don Balón: 2004, 2006
FIFPro World Player of the Year: 2005
2002 FIFA World Cup Winner
UEFA Champions League: 2006
La Liga: 2005, 2006

FIFA World Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year and Ballon d'Or winner - Ronaldinho’s peak is as good as any in the history of the game. At his best he combined unreal creativity with an outstanding goal threat - scoring 85 goals in 141 games for Barcelona whilst also laying on countless assists.

A mindbogglingly talented footballer, Ronaldinho possesses incredible touch & close control, unstoppable dribbling ability and the penchant for the spectacular. One of his best moments came in the 2005/06 season when he single handedly dismantled Real Madrid at the Bernebeu - getting a standing ovation from the Madrid fans no less.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
and is one of only three goalkeepers to place in the Top Three of the Ballon d'Or.
One of the four if I'm not mistaken - Viktor, Yashin and Zoff (hadn't realised he finished runners-up to Cruyff till recently myself) but it's definitely remarkable that Kahn finished in the top 3, twice.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
One of the four if I'm not mistaken - Viktor, Yashin and Zoff (hadn't realised he finished runners-up to Cruyff till recently myself) but it's definitely remarkable that Kahn finished in the top 3, twice.
Yeah, that list is messed up, mate. :lol:

Yashin (1): '63
Zoff (2): '73
Viktor (3): '76
Kahn 3): '01, '02
Buffon (2): '06
Neuer (3): '14 (FIFA)

Sorted now:
one of only six goalkeepers to place in the Top Three of the Ballon d'Or.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
+ Buffon was a runner-up in 2006

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I've decided to amend RF2 to auction mode to keep in line with the draft theme. RF2 will now read as:

RF 2.0 - Reinforcements will be in open auction format.
RF 2.1 - $70m budget with minimum 3 players to be picked. Clean Slate. Money left (if any) from previous rounds will not be added to this.
RF 2.2 - Each manager can nominate only 5 players or less for this round. Player pool will be eliminated teams for R1.
RF 2.3 - Players born before 01-Jan-1945 will have minimum starting bid of $20m. After that date it'll be $10m minimum.
RF 2.4 - GoalKeeper's start off minimum bid of $20m.
RF 2.5 - 12 hrs without up-bid to be successful.
RF 2.6 - $2m minimum up-bid for first 8 hours. $5m minimum up-bid for last 4 hours.​

This is much simpler with less players to manage. So please do not exceed your budget at any time.

Excess = Successful purchases + in progress bids + minimum needed to buy 3 players > $70m

Considering the relative ease to manage budget, the penalties for excess will be strictly enforced this round. You will lose a DoF player or highest bid successful player for this round.
@Edgar Allan Pillow

Please could you confirm the rules for the next reinforcements?

Enigma_87

You know who
Rinat Dasayev (tribute)

Dasaev was even better than Yashin

Unfortunately, I have never been able to see the likes of James Trainer, Ricardo Zamora and Frantisek Planicka. Or Andres Mazali, Giampiero Combi and Just Göbel, to name a few more. Great goalkeepers before television brought soccer into our homes. When it comes to naming the best goalies ever, I have to limit myself to “modern” times. The ten best that I’ve seen are, alphabetically ordered:

Luis Miguel Arconada
Gordon Banks
Jan van Beveren
Rinat Dasaev
Ladislao Mazurkiewicz
Christian Piot
Peter Schmeichel
Ivo Viktor
Lev Yashin
Dino Zoff

Some of them (Arconada) for their fabulous style, others (Van Beveren) for their style and reflexes, for their composure under all circumstances (Banks and Zoff), their overall abilities (Mazurkiewicz, Yashin and Dasaev), braveness (Piot and Viktor) or power (Schmeichel). Many countries have produced their own talents between the posts, but no other country has had two such extremely talented shotstoppers as the Sovietunion. I am sure that I am not the only person to rank Dasaev and Yashin among the best of all time. The question that remains is: who was the better of the two. It’s like comparing two almost uniovular twins. Both tall, with magnificent reflexes, good on and off the line and although looking a little sticky, very flexible. They were the backbone of their clubteams and national teams for a long spell of years.

What we see is that players seem to get better the longer they are not playing anymore. We tend to remember their good moments and forget their bad. I have the same problem. Look at my list of favourite goalkeepers: no Kahn, no Buffon, no Chilavert or Van der Sar. I honestly think that the ten I mention above were better. But sometimes we overstate those things. And I think that is what we see when we consider players like Yashin. Even today, people who haven’t seen the great Russian play a single minute, usually say: Yashin was the best ever. Why? Because they have heard it from so many other people, who haven’t seen Yashin themselves either, but say so because so many before them did the same. Yashin is a pure legend. They had never seen a goalkeeper like him before. In the first place, because he was very good, and in the second place because they had never seen soccer on television before. But it's true, he revolutionized goalkeeping by coming off his line more than any predecessor.

I have six games on video in which Yashin plays, mainly World Cup 1966 games. And I must say, he was a maestro. A really impressing goalkeeper, with no weaknesses it seems. But the best ever? There were plenty of moments when Yashin stole the show, but he wasn’t always great. Especially during the World Cups in 1958 and 1962, he couldn’t fulfil the expectations. Against Chile in 1962, he gave up a silly goal that led to the Sovietunion’s elimination. Yashin surely must have been the best of the late 50’s and early 60’s, no doubt about that. What helped was, that he played in the period that soccer started to reach many people through television. Nobody could compare him to the great of earlier days. But then again, the best ever? I don’t know.

I may not have seen the very best of Lev Yashin, but I have seen Rinat Dasaev in his glory days, 1982-1988. In that period Dasaev was an unmatched goalkeeper, despite the great qualities of Harald Schumacher, Luis Miguel Arconada and Jean-Marie Pfaff. He was superb during the World Cup 1982, and his save on a Joe Jordan header will be remembered as one of the best saves ever made in a World Cup. Surely equal to Banks’ save against Pelé in 1970. And the USSR may not have gotten very far in the World Cup 1986 (and many may say that Pfaff was the goalkeeping hero of that tournament), for me Dasaev even then was the best, playing brilliantly against France before he was beaten by four unstoppable shots from Belgium. It took something really special to beat Dasaev. Goals scored against him were mostly beautiful goals.

During Euro 88 he was the best again, when Holland couldn’t beat a fantastic Dasaev in their groupmatch in Cologne, and neither could Italy in the semis when the Russian muslim - he had the Koran with him in every game he played - stopped a short-range header from Giannini to keep the score 0-0 at half-time. I was in the stadium both times, and he was sensational. The final of that tournament was his last as the best goalkeeper of the world. He moved to Seville and we never saw the old Dasaev again. He was omitted from the national side after playing just one game in the World Cup 1990. Shortly after that humiliation, Dasaev quit the game.

It proves that even those who rank among the best goalkeepers ever, had their weak moments. If I had to make the choice for the best Soviet-goalie, my vote would go to Dasaev. A 51/49 score, I must admit. In the games I saw from him, Lev Yashin couldn’t convince me of being better than Rinat Dasaev. And we should realize that the Dasaev-period was much more difficult for goalkeepers than the period in which Yashin played. I think that Dasaev, with his qualities of the 80’s, playing in the 50’s and 60’s, would have been considered as the best ever. His legend would have been Yashin-like. He would, together with hockey-goaltender Vladislav Tretiak, have been the great ambassador of Soviet-sport. So quick, so agile, so unbeatable when at his best. On the other hand, if Yashin had played in the 80’s, he would have been remembered as a very good goalie, the way most people see Dasaev now. The longer they have retired, you know.

Written by Ruud Doevendans

harms

Staff
Luis Miguel Arconada
Gordon Banks
Jan van Beveren
Rinat Dasaev
Ladislao Mazurkiewicz
Christian Piot
Peter Schmeichel
Ivo Viktor
Lev Yashin
Dino Zoff
That's an interesting list, especially Arconada and Piot (van Beveren too but I fully support the nomination, best ever Dutch keeper)

Good article, although I don't fully agree with the sentiment regarding Yashin and the current keepers. But Dasaev's place among the best ever if fully justified

I still remember Streltsov's quote that the first time he used his trademark backheel pass was in the game against Dynamo, when they failed to score against Yashin for a few consecutive games and he finally realized that the only way to beat him is to do something equally exceptional attacking-wise

Enigma_87

You know who
That's an interesting list, especially Arconada and Piot (van Beveren too but I fully support the nomination, best ever Dutch keeper)

Good article, although I don't fully agree with the sentiment regarding Yashin and the current keepers. But Dasaev's place among the best ever if fully justified

I still remember Streltsov's quote that the first time he used his trademark backheel pass was in the game against Dynamo, when they failed to score against Yashin for a few consecutive games and he finally realized that the only way to beat him is to do something equally exceptional attacking-wise
Aye it's a good piece. Dasayev is one of my favorite keepers because he was very complete in the box and had excellent reading of the game. Pfaff is another one of my favorites and I intend to pick him if possible in future drafts as well.

It's always hard to rank players from different generations and down to personal preference. Beveren as well is top quality. Arconada is somehow mixed feelings, kind of a hipster choice really, same as Piot as Preud'homme would be most people preference when they compare him to his compatriot.

It's interesting what effect would have changing of the rules of the game to keepers from the past, especially the backpass rule, as it's pretty common nowadays to develop sweeper-keeper mentality and their involvement in build up but I can see a bit of a drop in terms of keeper quality compared to 10-15 years ago even, not to mention the 80's, 70's etc.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Keepers have tailored to the demands of each era. It is a position which has seen a lot of improvement, certainly since the 1950s and 1960s. While I'd say the strongest era was the 1980s, the introduction of the backpass rule in 1992 and the resulting ball-retaining strategies adopted have much accelerated their ball-playing ability. On the whole I'd say the post-2000 keepers are generally a lot more agile and less bulky than even those from the 1990s. Kahn and Schmeichel made those points recently. When you get the one or two (Neuer and De Gea getting there) who combine the presence and aerial security typical of the 1980-1990s goalies along with the agility and passing range of today's keeper, they have to be considered right up there amongst the best of all time.

harms

Staff
Didn't have time to finish the video properly, but here are Masopust's personal all-touch compilation from the games against Hungary (based on the highlights video, not on the full game), vs Yugoslavia (same) and vs Brazil in the final (goal excluded due to the copyright restrictions)

The goal in the final:

Compilation from his game vs Spain in 1962 (not mine):

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Aldo

Ready to participate in the next draft? :)

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Any update about the rules of the next mercato: budget? limit of the players to be introduced? Still the 1945 rule? Possibility to add players who don't belong to the loosing teams? ....

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
TEAMS THROUGH TO SEMI FINALS:

Downcast - 1. Wes Brown 2. Scirea 3. Roberto Carlos 4. Puskas 5. Tardelli 6. Maradona 7. L. Monti 8. Rattin (20m) 9. Ruggeri (46m) 10. Sorin (10m) 11. Kempes (10m) 12. Areola (20m) 13. Conti (10m) 14. Vieri (10m) 15. Fillol (20m) 16. Alessandro Mazzola (20m) 17. Rep (10m) 18. Reuter (14m) 19. Ardiles (10m) 20. Careca (10m) 21) Matthäus (37m) 22) Romario (23m) 23) Ferrara (10m)

Chesterlestreet - 1. T. Motta 2. L. Thuram 3. B. Moore 4. J. Santamaría 5. D. De Gea 6. B. Charlton 7. K-H. Förster 8. Albertini(10m) 9. Law (38m) 10. Briegel (30m) 11. Kaltz (30m) 12. Greaves (20m) 13. Wim Jansen (10m) 14. R. Donadoni (10m) 15. T. Cubillas (10m) 16. M. Preud'homme (20m) 17. T. Finney (20m) 18. Guardiola (12m) 19) G. Müller (25m) 20) Falcão (25m) 21) Matthews (20m)

Invictus - 1. O Hargreaves 2. Redondo 3. Nesta 4. Brehme 5. Jairzinho 6. Ronaldinho 7. Varela 8. Vasović (27m) 9. Nordahl (20m) 10. Zizinho (20m) 11. Kahn (25m) 12. Puyol (12m) 13. J. Andrade (20m) 14. Rivera (20m) 15. Carvajal (10m) 16. Riva (20m) 17. Zenga (20m) 18. Gordillo (10m) 19) Di Stefano (24m) 20) Facchetti (24m) 21) Garrincha (22m)

harms - 1. Éder Assis 2. Luis Suárez Miramontes 3. Cafu 4. J. Masopust 5. Messi 6. Chumpitaz 7. Seeler 8. Kante (30m) 9. Koeman (20m) 10. Maier (20m) 11. Evra (20m) 12. Boniek (25m) 13. Dzajic (45m) 14. Perfumo (10m) 15. Zito (20m) 16. Demyanenko (10m) 17. Bonhof (10m) 18) Maldini (30m) 19) Van Basten (30m) 20) Cannavaro (10m)

Player Pool for Reinforcements (after QF Auction):

Joga bonito
- 1. Carrick 3. Burgnich 5. Rivelino 7. Griezmann 8. Dino Zoff (20m) 9. Bossis (37m) 10. Coluna (25m) 12. Stielike (32m) 13. Sarosi (20m) 14. Van der Sar (20m) 15. Littbarski (10m) 16. Haan (14m)

Mazhar13 - 1. M Le Tissier 2. Gento 4. Pirri 6. Vierchowod 8. Neuer (20m) 9. Shevchenko (32m) 10. Zambrotta (32m) 11. Lato (10m) 12. Hamrin (22m) 13. Cerezo (20m) 14. J.A. Camacho (30m) 15. V. Andrade (22m) 16. Rosato (22m)

Cal? - 1. M Scholl 8. Zlatan (15m) 9. Kroos (55m) 10. Schmeichel (27m) 11. Mascherano (32m) 12. Giggs (17m) 13. Pirlo (12m) 14. Rossi (10m) 15. Bergkamp (10m) 16. Drogba (10m) 17. Socrates (18m)

RedTiger/Marty - 1. A di Livio 2. K-H. Schnellinger 6. W. Overath 8. Banks(22 m) 9. Varane(22m) 10. Effenberg (20m) 11. Del Piero (42m) 12. Kaka (20m) 13. Barnes (10m) 14. Stojkovic (10m) 15. A. Hansen (14m) 16. Rensenbrink (10m) 17. Deschamps (32m)

Tuppet - 1. B Schneider 3. D. Santos 6. M Laudrup 7. Robson 8. Ter Stegen (37m) 9. Marzolini (27m) 10. Souness (30m) 11. Yashin (31m) 14. Hazard (10m)

DavidG - 1. Petit. 2. Hugo Sanchez 5. Costacurta 6. Didi 7. Tresor 8. Moreno (30m) 10.Buffon (28m) 11. Pedernera (24m) 12. Bellerin (10m) 13. Stiles (20m) 14. Marcelo (10m)

Sjor - 1. Camoranesi 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Ferdinand 5. Courtois 7. Blokhin 8. Elkjaer (10m) 9. Vidic (43m) 10. Luis Enrique(17m) 11. Gerets (37m) 12. T. Müller (10m) 13. Kopa (33m) 14. Amoros (50m) 15. Carvalho (10m)

ctp - 1. Ginola 2. Netzer 3. Carlos Alberto 5. Kocsis 7. S. Busquets 8. Júnior (32m) 9. Stam (50m) 10. Trapp (20m) 11. Czibor (37m) 12. Boateng (24m) 13. Blakenburg (10m) 14. F Water (20m) 15. Cantona (10m)

Skizzo/Pat - 1. Solskjaer 2. Van Hanegem 3. Kohler 4. Henry 5. Verratti 6. Rijkaard 7. Schuster 8. Cabrini (80m) 9. McGrain (10m) 10. Totti (43m) 11. Jennings (20m) 12. Schiaffino (27m) 13. Simonsen (17m) 14. Olsen (10m) 15) Cruyff (26m) 16) Passarella (21m) 17) McGrath (10m) 18) Dani Alves (10m)

Raees - 1. D Baggio 2. Figo 3. Vogts 4. Best 5. J. Nasazzi 6. Neeskens 7. Blanc 8. Piola (20m) 9. Liedholm (20m) 10. D. Da Guia (20m) 11. Rico (30m) 12. Lizarazu (55m) 13. Tostão (16m) 14. Shesternyov (10m) 15. Kubala(39m) 16) Desailly (30m) 17) Rummenige (15m) 18) Zico (12m) 19) Sammer (12m)

P-Nut - 1. Ince 2. Batistuta 3. Baresi 4. Ronaldo (fenomeno) 5. Gentile 6. Platini 7. Vieira 8. Maicon (10m) 9. L. King (10m) 10. Oblak (35m) 11. Cole (37m) 12. Scholes (26m) 13. Makélélé (30m) 14. Weah (30m) 15. Thiago Silva (15m) 16. Bale (10m) 17) Keane (25m) 18) Pogba (10m) 19) Hierro (14m) 20) Lahm (10m) 21) Stoichkov (10m)

Enigma - 1. Ze Roberto 2. Rivaldo 3. Figueroa 4. Bergomi 5. Pele 6. Davids 7. Tigana 8. Leno (35m) 9. Seedorf (34m) 10. G. Meazza (26m) 11. Suarez (47m) 12. Sagnol (10m) 13. Dasayev (20m) 14. Bessonov(10m) 15. W Schulz (28m) 16) N. Santos (22m) 17) Cr. Ronaldo (28m) 18) Nedved (10m) 19) Xavi (10m)

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Semi Finals reinforcement rules:

The GOOD

RF 2.0 - Reinforcements will be in open auction format.
RF 2.1 - $100m budget with no max/min player buy limit. Clean Slate. Money left (if any) from previous rounds will not be added to this.
RF 2.2 - Player pool will be eliminated teams till now.
RF 2.3 - Players born before 01-Jan-1945 will have minimum starting bid of $20m. After that date it'll be $10m minimum. GoalKeeper's start off minimum bid of $20m.
RF 2.4 - 12 hrs without up-bid to be successful.
RF 2.5 - $4m minimum up-bid for first 8 hours. $8m minimum up-bid for last 4 hours.​

This is buffet for a starving man. Go Crazy!

The BAD:

This will be the last reinforcement round for this draft.

The UGLY:

One player from SF winning teams starting XI will still get suspended.
Players suspended for Semi Finals will NOT come back for Finals.

So plan ahead. May the force be with you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auction will start at 12:00 noon BST Friday 12-Aug-2016

This is much simpler with less players to manage. So please do not exceed your budget at any time.

Excess = Successful purchases + in progress bids > $100m

Considering the relative ease to manage budget, the penalties for excess will be strictly enforced this round. You will lose a DoF player or highest bid successful player for this round.

Last edited: