The Euro Draft - QF - Team EAP vs Raees

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
For a second I thought this was some old matchthread after seeing the posts count and number of people who have voted. What the flying feck happened here?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Who were the official managers? EAP+MJJ+CRW? VS Raees and Gio? Was kind of funny with everybody posting, we should have a doubles tournament some time.
Gio was more Paul Bearer than Paul Heyman, he barely interfered. It was a handicap match with Evolution, and Crappy & Anto as Vince n Shane.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If I do get through, all the managers on here will be dying to get their revenge and ensure justice is sought.. so I am sure karma will find a way of levelling things out:devil:.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Me, CRW and Gio have the same amount of posts. Anto. and crappy were neutral.
Relax MJJ, it was a joke :) I had no problem with you guys posting at all.. it is a shame when AM's who have contributed heavily to the draft picks/tactics can't debate in the match thread so I was cool with it.

I for one was uncomfortable with just my name in the thread title when Gio's pretty much picked our formation for this game. I was also going to take Zebec out but he told me to fight it through.

Moby

Dick
Sorry team EAP, had to go for Raees in the end. Really close to call, and both teams have some really strong arguments to win, but for me it was the Henry-Facchetti wing against a relatively weak side defensively that swayed it.

MJJ

Sorry team EAP, had to go for Raees in the end. Really close to call, and both teams have some really strong arguments to win, but for me it was the Henry-Facchetti wing against a relatively weak side defensively that swayed it.
Ahh shit aldo, thats a killer blow.

Annahnomoss

If I do get through, all the managers on here will be dying to get their revenge and ensure justice is sought.. so I am sure karma will find a way of levelling things out.
I hope they don't. Sort your team out, so many players there deserved to go through and even if it will be difficult I think you should try and just address what has been brought up here. I.e find a way to use Rijkaard/Beckenbauer, which I think Balu already helped you guys with. Just upgrading personnel and playing the same setup would be bad.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I hope they don't. Sort your team out, so many players there deserved to go through and even if it will be difficult I think you should try and just address what has been brought up here. I.e find a way to use Rijkaard/Beckenbauer, which I think Balu already helped you guys with. Just upgrading personnel and playing the same setup would be bad.
Definitely will mate, would be suicidal to do otherwise.

I know its no consolation but I genuinely was troubled by the use of some of my players here due to lack of form/position hence why I was going to change my formation early doors before Gio said he had evidence suggesting otherwise, Rijkaard however wasn't one of them as he clearly played centre mid in 92.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When you are already drowning underwater would it really matter if someone pisses on top? Go on Aldo. lol
:lol:

EAP seriously am sad to see this match end, it has been a blast.. thanks for being gracious in defeat and hope we pair up again in for a rematch with Balu operating as Don King.

Annahnomoss

I voted Raees, but I could have easily been swayed if EAP and his fantastic four had went in to depth about breaking down Raees flank with Amoros and where the whole Rijkaard/Beckenbauer debacle was going on as well. There was basically no tactical write-up from EAP and while I assumed Raees defense would look like United the first month under LVG, I assume team EAP would be looking like that but all over the pitch with only very generic instructions. Was a bit like hearing that Giggs "interview" when they were picking players for the team.

The primary job of the managers should be to manage their team, not to call out the opponents players for being bad individuals. If you think Blanc was slow, show some videos of where it troubled him and of your own players providing a similar threat etc, don't just bash the player.

Witchking

It's not really forbidden, it's just in incredibly poor taste and basically cheating. Funnily, @MJJ (one of his opponents here) did the same thing in his miraculous comeback win against me in one of the auction drafts. At least, that's what 2 people told me who received PMs from him back then. That was the thread back then and it overall had significantly more votes than all the other matches during the draft, just like it's the case here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/transfer-muppet-fantasy-qf-balu-vs-mjj.389249/page-4
Back then, I didn't really care and chose to ignore it. Winning doesn't matter all that much to me.

Obviously if one manager sends PMs out, he'll send it to users he knows and the chances of it helping him win are crazy high. Barely anyone of those people makes a fair decision, because they start looking in this thread with a clear preference to @Raees who sent the PM. It doesn't matter if he writes they can choose freely and the result here clearly shows it, as did it back when MJJ did it against me.

I don't mind giving Raees the benefit of the doubt and assume that the crazy drama and intense discussion in this match got the better of him and he made a mistake. I'd suggest that Raees gives us (or only me) a list of all the users he wrote to and we take all of them out of the result, no matter who they voted for, and then see what result we get. It's the only way to turn this back into something close to a fair game. If he doesn't want to, I'll let him go through as a winner. But every manager really should think about, if it's worth to turn the matches into a fecking joke. In the end we all spend a shitload of time for these drafts and we should at least try to let the voting play out fairly.

Thanks a lot the explanation Balu. As Raees said, he has never interacted with me and saw me online and just sent out a pm.

"we middle-earthers need to stick together, drop us a vote haha!"

I did not think much of it, i have never paid any attention to the game and i also just about glanced at the two teams, i saw Henry, Suarez and Beckenbauer and just voted for him. Don't think i even paid attention to the thread title of the game. So maybe that was the game plan and it worked.

I of course would like to take back my vote if possible (won't make much of a difference i guess).

Raees, apologies for causing trouble. May the best guy win.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I did not think much of it, i have never paid any attention to the game and i also just about glanced at the two teams, i saw Henry, Suarez and Beckenbauer and just voted for him. Don't think i even paid attention to the thread title of the game. So maybe that was the game plan and it worked.
To be fair I am not to happy about that, I thought you would have at least read it through - i.e. the OP's at least. Did you at least read the second time through when I made it clear about changing your vote to EAP if you liked his side better?

Witchking

To be fair I am not to happy about that, I thought you would have at least read it through - i.e. the OP's at least. Did you at least read the second time through when I made it clear about changing your vote to EAP if you liked his side better?
Before your pm, i haven't even opened this thread, not a big fan of "what if" theories. Anyway all the best mate. The caf will be gunning for your now :D

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Before your pm, i haven't even opened this thread, not a big fan of "what if" theories. Anyway all the best mate. The caf will be gunning for your now :D
question is have we made you a fan of drafts or scared you away?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I for one was uncomfortable with just my name in the thread title when Gio's pretty much picked our formation for this game.
Sorry for that, I do that in all games to keep the thread titles short. I usually tag all managers and assitants and think most people know that @Gio was involved in your team. If I started a thread called:

The Euro Draft - QF - Team Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine vs Team Raees & Gio

most people would have stopped reading long before Gio's name was mentioned.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sorry for that, I do that in all games to keep the thread titles short. I usually tag all managers and assitants and think most people know that @Gio was involved in your team. If I started a thread called:

The Euro Draft - QF - Team Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine vs Team Raees & Gio

most people would have stopped reading long before Gio's name was mentioned.
Nah totally understandable especially against a three-man team, ridiculously long title.

Moby

Dick
Anyway this has been a really memorable match up for sure. Both parties went for broke here, trying every trick in the book. Reminded me of my gruesome battle with Brwned a couple of years back. A bit of a shame that the voting got skewed because as stressed as I was after going through that level of intense discussions it was a great triumph to come out victorious. :D

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/decades-draft-tournament-aldoraine18-vs-brwned.375872/

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Anyway this has been a really memorable match up for sure. Both parties went for broke here, trying every trick in the book. Reminded me of my gruesome battle with Brwned a couple of years back. A bit of a shame that the voting got skewed because as stressed as I was after going through that level of intense discussions it was a great triumph to come out victorious. :D

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/decades-draft-tournament-aldoraine18-vs-brwned.375872/
Quality of those sides is ridiculous - certainly puts the quality of our sides into perspective, was that a semi or a final?

Moby

Dick
Quality of those sides is ridiculous - certainly puts the quality of our sides into perspective, was that a semi or a final?
It was a quarter final. After the exhausting 24 hour battle with Brwned and the game ending in penalties, my relief ended only a few hours before Brwned took over the team of my semi final opponent who had left and it was back to square one. :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Passarella - Carlos? I bet anto said something :D

Edit - he didn't :eek:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
By that was an open all time draft with the only restriction being two players per decade (by date of birth) so the player pool was huge.

Checkout Theon's team that thrashed the crap out of mine in the final. https://www.redcafe.net/threads/decades-draft-tournament-final.376954/

:lol: Ridiculous.
It was a quarter final. After the exhausting 24 hour battle with Brwned and the game ending in penalties, my relief ended only a few hours before Brwned took over the team of my semi final opponent who had left and it was back to square one. :lol:
Sounds nuts, especially against an opponent like Brwned. I don't think I would hack it against him or Antohan, I was scared of EAP after his 'Planstil-gate' moment.. he's a tough cookie to beat.

Your side wasn't too bad to be fair but his has so much flair feck me senseless.. Bestie, Goofy, Diego and then Fat Ronnie... pure silks. All of them huge fan favourites.

Annahnomoss

Those drafts are why I talk about how the drafts have improved so much. They used to be quite terrible to say the least.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thats the thing Balu I deliberately PM'd guys who are either swedish or Arsenal fans. They had their own bias of course but it was a strategy on my part.

Also I must admit the manner in which EAP pm'd us before the game asking about Zebec and his teams behaviour throughout the game played a part in me employing such a strategy. I have never been in a nasty game in all my draft encounters - this was my first and hopefully last.. I'd rather lose 18-0 to Joga Bonito but have a decent footballing discussion.
Good to know mate but I have to say the PM-ing or tagging business in general is a tad bit disappointing and goes against the spirit of the game. The over-competitiveness is something that will always be part of the game and something that I don't quite enjoy but always try to keep my wits about (I do lose them at times, naturally). It's one of the main reasons why I'm starting to lose interest in the draft matches but am still, as always, in love with the drafting process where all the fun and information lies. In fact I enjoy researching for a write-up far more than winning a match, needless to say. Sometimes I stop myself halfway, writing shite about a player that I like and go wtf why am I doing that :lol:? Might as well point out the flaws in the opposing manager's tactics and how I plan to exploit them instead, which in all likeliness leads to a more civilised discussion. If there is one thing I've learnt, it's that managers would much rather have their very own tactics criticised than one of 'their' players :lol:.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Gio was more Paul Bearer than Paul Heyman, he barely interfered. It was a handicap match with Evolution, and Crappy & Anto as Vince n Shane.
Non sense. I may have even voted for you if not for constant bigging up of henry as a goat.

And yes, sending out pm is pretty much against any draft etiquette. I m in a mega convo with 100 folks or so, if I ask them to vote in any draft thread,vthat will be the end of that.

The one person being put on focus happens a lot in draft threads. All time British auction draft, stob did not even show and I still had to fend off questions from 4-5 people about my team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Non sense. I may have even voted for you if not for constant bigging up of henry as a goat.

And yes, sending out pm is pretty much against any draft etiquette. I m in a mega convo with 100 folks or so, if I ask them to vote in any draft thread,vthat will be the end of that.

The one person being put on focus happens a lot in draft threads. All time British auction draft, stob did not even show and I still had to fend off questions from 4-5 people about my team.
The funny thing is I fecking hate Henry in general :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
To be fair Balu, outside of you drafters I don't know anyone in that sort of way.. ask WitchKing, I have never spoken to him ever. I just tried to draw in some randomers to the game and made it clear they are free to vote for whomever. They have fought dirty all game and tbh I think my strategy was above board.. none of the people I pm'd I liaise with in any shape or form, otherwise I would be winning drafts left right and centre which is clearly not the case.

I just send the link to the draft to a few guys who were online, saw some Swedes and thought it was worth a shot.
I empathise mate. You clearly were at your wits end. As I said earlier, it definitely put me off voting for EAP early on as they seemed to have completely lost the plot and kept carrying on about 2-3 things without even considering their own strengths, which is bad management IMO. I sort of allowed for your Blanc bollocks as a result, but once the strange voting pattern materialised I was less forgiving/neutral and got a bit more errr passive-aggressive.

TBH, I agree with @Balu's point that the best way around this is establishing who you PMd and recalculating as you clearly went for a select few.

Interesting, anto was one of two guys I asked if I should make it public or not. But I didn't care that much and thought if you want to go through so badly, you'll deserve it.
I actually brought it up via PM in a later draft when the same thing seemed to be happening and it had to be dealt with somehow. I didn't mention you at all, just that some had reported it.

Nah, I wasnt that bothered about it since I felt your side was v.good as well and wanted you to win if I didnt after our long negotiations over nedved. I just wasnt sure how to get the scan voters to view the thread( united bias) so pmed them to have a look and vote for whoever they wanted to win. Like I said, I figured I got more votes due to having more united players but when anto. told me that he used to get more votes as well whenever he pmed people, I stopped doing that since no point winning like that.
Why am I not surprised, that @antohan also played dirty :lol:.

The feck, am I the only one who never even thought about doing shit like that? You guys are all mental.
:lol: Its not really playing dirty though. I find it very impersonal if you just tag four to five players in a thread with a message to vote for whoever you think is going to win hence the pm. But given the bias issues, I realized its not the best method either.
Disappointing Balu :annoyed: What I said was in low voting games I used to PM all managers/regulars so they got their arses into the thread and voted. I didn't send individual PMs but group ones, even including the other manager involved. I consider that an above board way of getting people to vote, and it clearly wouldn't necessarily be for me, it's just that sometimes we got games that moved painfully slowly.

In any case, what I said was that in this new forum with the tag feature it was no longer required and you could do it on the thread. Still, warned him I had got all sorts of shit once for tagging Arsenal fans when a few were talking bollocks about Bergkamp.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
In any case, what I said was that in this new forum with the tag feature it was no longer required and you could do it on the thread. Still, warned him I had got all sorts of shit once for tagging Arsenal fans when a few were talking bollocks about Bergkamp.
That was hilarious :lol:

Disappointing Balu :annoyed: What I said was in low voting games I used to PM all managers/regulars so they got their arses into the thread and voted. I didn't send individual PMs but group ones, even including the other manager involved. I consider that an above board way of getting people to vote, and it clearly wouldn't necessarily be for me, it's just that sometimes we got games that moved painfully slowly.
I do love you though, you know that, right?
I don't mind tagging/pm-ing the regulars/managers, I agree with that. Totally different than contacting players who don't show any interest in what we do here.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
As refreshing as it was, for once, to see a tight game swing my way overnight, I agree in that I'm not entirely comfortable with that approach.
In case you are wondering, since MJJ now chooses to make completely unqualified throwaway accounts of PMs: that was all legit, it was more a case of the beauty at night not being Boniek but me posting on through the night keeping the thread bumped to get people in there. All while you were :boring: