The Final: Argentina vs France

Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Varane is the one keeping the backline together, he was actually in what I put as my Team of the Tournament in the thread, no bias for him being a United player but he's been great for France.

Unironically too, camels are one of the big fears as a new carrier for the next pandemic, as we all know MERS (Middle Eastern Respitory Syndrome) came from Camels.

Hope Varane gets well soon.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
All of this reminds me of the 'similarities' between 2014 and 1986. Germany in the final etc etc
Cherry picking stats happens a lot to sound interesting, obviously people will reference Maradona with Messi but its a different game now too.

Every time he's worn a red tie, and they're drawing at half time when its sunny they go on to win!

I think its a big mountain to climb for Argentina on Sunday.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mysterious virus hitting the squad, Benzema/Zidane drama on the outside, what a perfect way to prepare a WC final for france :lol:

colombianmancunian

France looks stronger on paper, and has proven themselves against tougher opposition. But Argentina has grit, Messi can do miracles, and they actually played amazingly well against Croatia.

Ted Lasso

Bit of a shame this virus is going around. Reminds me of the season Spurs almost popped Arsenal to 4th but for their squad getting food poisoning the day before the season finale match v Arsenal

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Gonna be a good tactical battle.Argentina can’t afford to just rely on messi. If martinez wins a WC then all the haters and doubters especially souness can shut their mouths. On the other hand Varane could add to his already very impressive trophy cabinet. If Varane isn’t already classed as one of the best CB in the world then will this World Cup put him up there?

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
France has such a great squad so Varane surprisingly will not be missed in my eyes. It will definitely not change the outcome. And the Argentina side beating Brazil had Lo Celso.

Ibragol

Supports
Milan
I was never really fascinated by Messi as a player and icon, even if his brilliance on the pitch always has been obvious. Compared to previous heroes like Ronaldinho, R9 and Totti, I think Messi was so effective that the magic somehow got away. He's always been up there among the best that have ever played the game, but as an icon Messi was not among the top 10 who left the biggest mark in football history (on and off the pitch).

Seeing Messi in this World Cup is a whole other thing. You can see this means everything for him. One last dance with his national team. He's arguing with van Gaal, shouting at opponent players, celebrating wins like never before and shows so much more emotion when he's stepping up for those decisive penalties against the Netherlands and Croatia. I really, really cross my fingers for an Argentina win tomorrow. After all these years I finally root for this man, on a personal level. This World Cup he has clearly been the leader and national icon you always wanted him to be. France's players already got a WC trophy. It would be such a waste if they got a second before the best player of all times.

Go Messi, go Argentina!

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Full squad at practice today for France apparently :

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Anyone reminded of Ronaldo (El Fenomeno) being ill before the '98 WC when the world was wanting him to play a great final?

He had convulsions but the sickness in the French camp reminds me of that (Ronaldo added it was because of the pressure not actual sickness btw) but the press around this reminds me of that final somehow, I'm sure they will play all of them though. If they don't play well they have a (sort of) excuse about illness so its a win win for them.

I do feel that they'll all play at their normal level though, when the likes of Upamecano was sick, number 1 he was playing like shite, number 2 you don't want to spread whatever it is.

In a final you don't really care about spreading whatever at the point of losing a final.

This final is Frances to lose however.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
With both sides having relatively straightforward runs to the final, you’d want both teams to be fit enough to make a contest of it to ensure the winner can at least say they’ve properly beaten everything in front of them. If France have a load of players missing or clearly unfit it would have shades of the farcical 1998 final. That was a massive anti-climax and this tournament - which is in danger of stumbling over the line - could do with a competitive final to finish on a high.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I thought Argentina looked at their best with that 442. Maybe with that lineup they can contain Griezmann and choke the supply to Mbappe & Giroud.

BorisManUtd

France winning it back-to-back would be kinda boring. Also quite impressive as no one's done it in 60 years. I'll root for Argentina, been my team since the start of WC.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
France winning it back-to-back would be kinda boring. Also quite impressive as no one's done it in 60 years. I'll root for Argentina, been my team since the start of WC.
Same for me, but France have already won in my head so I can't be disappointed.

I've talked myself into France having won, they're favourites anyway. If Argentina do anything I'll be happy.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
That virus going around doesn't sound good for France. They already had a number of players missing. Well it's one game....who knows. I think Argentina and particularly Messi might be the most motivated.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Team Messi tomorrow. That said, do like this France generation and Mbappe is a monster, so him winning 2 WC by the age of 23 would be something else as well.

It will be some story either way. Think it will be a great final.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I have a feeling if Di Maria is fully fit it could make a huge difference.

He scored in the Copa America last year, he's also the 5th top assister in history of football.

But... he's not had a great start to Serie A at Juventus, and he's obviously had a few fitness issues.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I am hoping for a final Messi masterclass tomorrow. I never thought I'd say this but... GO ARGENTINA!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Team France tomorrow. And i am hoping that ref will not ruin the final with some crucial shit decision.

Pintu

Team France tomorrow. And i am hoping that ref will not ruin the final with some crucial shit decision.
Argentina gets a penalty almost every game (and some soft ones)... And I think France is the team that had most penalties against. So get prepared for that to happen...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Argentina gets a penalty almost every game (and some soft ones)... And I think France is the team that had most penalties against. So get prepared for that to happen...
Argentina were the team which was pushed to the final but final is a different thing. Marciniak will get his job by the book.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
France for the win. The Messi wankfest needs to stop.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The amount of salt around here would salt the earth, and Mars and have some left over. I like Argentina, and bow to Messi. But I think I like France just a little bit more.

Pocho

Argentina were the team which was pushed to the final but final is a different thing. Marciniak will get his job by the book.
yes the team is shite, it’s all about the referring.

cry me a river

Pintu

yes the team is shite, it’s all about the referring.

cry me a river
Their team is far from being shit… They can afford to bring in Lisandro, Lautaro, Dybala and/or Di Maria from the bench… And they have Messi in his GOAT form.

They won Copa America last year against a strong Brazil and have now eliminated 2 of Europe’s best sides in the run to this final (both Netherlands & Croatia will play the UEFA-NL semifinals come June). Argentina is going to face Europe’s absolute best side in tomorrow’s final. The title holders of the UEFA-NL and the WC.