The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nori-

Non of the potential replacements fill me with any excitement but ETH is finished here, no other way around it.

Tuchel and Poch are massively over rated in my opinion. I'd put McKenna or Amorim on a 2 year contract and if it doesnt work out, get rid next summer.

Hopefully by then there should be better options for manager on the market.

Avid fan

If only Ten Hag had that.
They did offer him alternative signings like Pau Torres instead of Martinez, but because he didn't trust the recruitment team, he went with players he knew

The Bloody-Nine

Twelve pages in and some people still believe the club leaked this to a London based journalist with Chelsea links, the day before the FA Cup final, when there is no logical reason to do so. Incredible.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s despicable. Beneath contempt. Disrespectful to fans. To the manager. What about the team? It’s the corporate bullshit Woodward loved. I’m disappointed beyond words. Stay classy, whatever you do.

El Zoido

Can anyone think of one good reason with the timing here? One thing? How are Ineos any different to Glazers here?
The club hasn’t leaked it, so the “timing” is a result of Chelsea and other clubs recruiting for a manager right now, and therefore we also must start sounding out prospective candidates.

I really don’t understand the consternation, people would be moaning about the club being too slow to act if we did nothing and watched our managerial targets take jobs around Europe.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Any player that can turn it on and off when they feel like it. Any player that leaks stuff about manager when they are huffing about something. Any player that has blamed everyone around them and refused to look at themselves when underperforming. I could go on.

In general, any player that tends to disrupt things behind the scenes when they are not getting their own way. Any player that is happy to sit about see a manager sacked to see if their own situation can change, any player like that will likely do it again with the next manager. rinse repeat.

Ten hag has had plenty to answer for this season, but this season at Old trafford, its safe to say plenty in the ground around me are sick and tired of these players once and for all. Theyre getting away with it again
So a whole bunch of 'any player that does these things' without actually naming any that fit the bill?

Ten Hag has failed massively this season to an almost unprecedented extent. Despite that, almost all the players appear to have tried their best in a system that is guaranteed to fail. The majority of those players have been bought by ETH, promoted by ETH or given new contracts by ETH. Having one or two players that maybe didn't give it their all doesn't mean Ten Hag was beaten down by player power.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The club hasn’t leaked it, so the “timing” is a result of Chelsea and other clubs recruiting for a manager right now, and therefore we also must start sounding out prospective candidates.

I really don’t understand the consternation, people would be moaning about the club being too slow to act if we did nothing and watched our managerial targets take jobs around Europe.
We already were too slow in failing to sack him a few weeks ago. What was the point in keeping him around after the Coventry/Burnley/Crystal Palace games? We all knew the writing was on the wall but instead Ineos waited until the day before the cup final to kick into action.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Had a couple of month spell where he really looked like he was onto something.

But unfortunately it was a mere purple patch fuelled by rare outrageous form from Martinez ,Shaw, Bruno, Rashy and Casemiro.

4 of the 5 have barely played and bar a little spell from Bruno recently its all dropped off.
Add in an admittedly ridiculous injury spell and a seeming refusal to bother to try and stop teams having 30 shots a game and it's been a terrible season.

It felt like week 1 we looked totally wrong in midfield and we never really got much better despite Mainoo being a rare glimmer of hope in there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We already were too slow in failing to sack him a few weeks ago. What was the point in keeping him around after the Coventry/Burnley/Crystal Palace games? We all knew the writing was on the wall but instead Ineos waited until the day before the cup final to kick into action.
Why do you think the bold? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Balls. Thought he might get a contract extension after that FA Cup win.

The Bloody-Nine

Do you seriously believe they decided today to sack him?

SER19

Absolutely horrific handling by ineos in what was their first real challenge. Embarrassing

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Why do you think the bold? It makes no sense whatsoever.
It's the typical Internet hive mind in action. If anybody could just stop and think critically about this then they'd probably realise that this was probably beyond the clubs control.

You can't expect us to have another manager lined up (ie forward planning) and not expect third parties to catch wind of our intentions. The same posters complaining now would be complaining if we sack him later down the line without something lined up. It's just not worth getting involved with this, leave them to it.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Guardian rarely get the big things wrong and the way they've written it is so sure. If there was doubt, you would expect 'could be' or 'set to'. But they've written it matter of factly. Steinberg reported that Moyes was going to be sacked from West Ham last month.

It's also not that surprising news either.
It's not surprising that he is being let go but I am curious as to what changed all of a sudden as all the reports up until then had "could be" or "set to". This is the first one that has been definitive about his sacking.

I still don't believe that the club has leaked this. It has most likely come from the outside or from Erik's camp.

The Bloody-Nine

Nope. But they must've known there was a possibility this could be leaked on the eve of the cup final, so once they decided he wasn't their man - why not sack him immediately and get an interim in for a few weeks?
What's the point in bringing in an interim for a couple of games? Let him get the final over with, thank him for his service, and make a permanent appointment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Gutted with the timing. Everyone knows I had a preference for him to stay but I can't argue with the end decision.

I'll be there singing his and the teams name tomorrow irrespective of the result. feck it. It's a final lets go for it.

Guess that big summer clearout won't be happening then. Looking forward to another cycle of:

1. New manager decides against significant departures this summer as he decides to "assess the squad" first.

2. Solid first season under the new boss - maybe top 4 and a League Cup win or decent FA Cup run.

3. Players stop giving a shit at some point in season 2, manager sacked at end of season rather than squad being overhauled.

4. Common demoninators of many players who have been largely shite under 2 or more managers survive as yet another new manager comes in to assess the squad.

5. Lots of shocked pikachu faces that mediocre players remain mediocre under new boss, fans decide the Manager who has been good at previous clubs has become senile overnight. "Manager must go, fraud, rabble rabble!"

siw2007

Don’t like it being leaked to the media before the cup final. It’s pretty rotten and as much as we are frustrated with the results on the pitch and might want the change in manager, it really sucks for this story to be leaked be right now.

Hope that whatever happens tomorrow, ETH and the team give their all.

El Zoido

I think it’s fair he gets to take his team to the cup final. Some may disagree, but he’s earned that much. I think it would’ve been harsher to deny him that. Also, they didn’t wait until the day before the cup final, it will have been known internally for ages. In fact I’d put money on Ten Hag himself having known for at least a week. This is just when it’s been leaked to the press.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

What's the point in bringing in an interim for a couple of games? Let him get the final over with, thank him for his service, and make a permanent appointment.
A potential new manager bounce increases our chances of not getting humiliated by our rivals tomorrow. When the players know their manager in the dugout is getting sacked the next day, they're not going to be running those extra yards. Wembley is going to be a bloodbath tomorrow thanks to this leak. Whereas we could've put in a resolute performance under an interim manager.

The Bloody-Nine

A potential new manager bounce increases our chances of not getting humiliated by our rivals tomorrow. When the players know their manager in the dugout is getting sacked the next day, they're not going to be running those extra yards. Wembley is going to be a bloodbath tomorrow thanks to this leak. Whereas we could've put in a resolute performance under an interim manager.
I disagree entirely. Why would there be a "new manager bounce" when the interim would be leaving after the match? Who would give a shit about impressing him? Did you miss Rangnick?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The Dutch league is very weak and I don't think he was able to adapt to the PL.
Injuries, all the off field stuff, his signings not working out, players looking flat such as Casemiro and Rashford, falling out with Sancho. A perfect storm to get fired. We’ve been appalling this year for all the reasons above. I like ETH but I think McKenna with a new structure as in a top coach will work. McKenna doesn’t have to get the players on his side, if they aren’t working Wilcox will be reporting it to Ashworth and they will be moved on. It’s a lot more simple. All McKenna has to do is pick the tactics and the players in the best form. If he can knock a tune out of Ipswich then he can surely implement his ideas here. I reckon Sancho gets one more chance with him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.