The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Seen this going around and its a load of bollocks. Even if any of it was true, the only senior players that will still be at the club next season that were here during McKenna's time are Maguire, Shaw, Rashford and McTominay. Maybe AWB too (but probably not).

fps

A perfectly justifiable decision, especially now there are three in the frame who could take over and potentially do much better.

AndyMUFC

Should've just been announced he was leaving in the summer instead of letting it leak out the day before a cup final.

Right decision despite the shit timing, because this season was game after game of absolutely terrible football. The football and tactics have been worse than the 8th place finish.

One thing it does ensure though is that everyone will get behind him and the team tomorrow to hopefully give him a good farewell.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I would walk right away immediately if i was Erik and leave the team without a manager for tomorrow’s final. I don’t care if whether he deserves to be sack, but it’s going to be horrible personally for him when he walks out with the team at Wembley tomorrow knowing he’s gone right after the game, and you’ll just know the City fans will be chanting ‘sack in the morning’ towards him. It’s sickening and low class for a club of United’s stature
So what should the club have done?

Low class :rolleyes:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I would walk right away immediately if i was Erik and leave the team without a manager for tomorrow’s final. I don’t care if whether he deserves to be sack, but it’s going to be horrible personally for him when he walks out with the team at Wembley tomorrow knowing he’s gone right after the game, and you’ll just know the City fans will be chanting ‘sack in the morning’ towards him. It’s sickening and low class for a club of United’s stature
I wouldn't blame him if he did but doing something that emotional and chaotic might hamper future job opportunities.

And also, win tomorrow and it's a good reference letter that can lead to higher profile job.

Dazzmondo

All terrible sources. Doubt any of them have actually heard anything. Probably just putting together something that sounds possible based on those old articles when he was here before. The 2nd article in the 1st link from the Athletic reflects a concern I raised in the other ETH threads though. Most players are stupid and don't show enough respect to managers who weren't players at a high level. They think they know better than them (they don't). If a manager has proven their managerial ability at a high level by winning a CL for example, this can be enough to get past this problem, but without that there's a good chance McKenna would face some of these issues.

RoyH1

Right decision but god awful timing. 24 hours before a cup final.

EireRed_GS

Got a feeling it’s true and they’ll go with McKenna

poch and tuchel both want control of transfers. McKenna can be given the tools and just left to coach.

all 3 would be an upgrade

I give it 6 months before theres a 'leak'. of a whatsapp group of certain players ripping McKenna behind his back about not being good/ experienced enough.

As for the other 2, as per above, but them moaning about them being too disciplined/ technical etc.. there will always be something unless we get the toxic roots out of the squad.

Get in a captain/coach whos willing to knock the clean fck out out of any players leaking stuff

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What makes you think that this was leaked by INEOS and not by him? What does INEOS have to gain out of this clusterfeck? The only person who gains out of this is ETH and his dodgy agency. ETH can lose 6-0 at this point and they'll still can come up with an excuse that he was distractted

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Fair enough, but I think getting someone like Poch, who could conceivably have the respect of the players, get us playing a decent brand of football, and have us fairly competitive would be better. Then we can leapfrog from there. I'd only be on board with Mckenna if we were stripping the squad this summer.
Yeah, that's why Motta would have been my choice out of the young/long shot candidates. His record at a higher level and standing in the game from his playing career would give him a bit of an advantage in getting senior players onside.

With McKenna, we'd have to purge the squad of anybody who might not fully buy in, as Arsenal had to do for Arteta. Maybe it's what we need, though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
All terrible sources. Doubt any of them have actually heard anything. Probably just putting together something that sounds possible based on those old articles when he was here before. The 2nd article in the 1st link from the Athletic reflects a concern I raised in the other ETH threads though. Most players are stupid and don't show enough respect to managers who weren't players at a high level. They think they know better than them (they don't). If a manager has proven their managerial ability at a high level by winning a CL for example, this can be enough to get past this problem, but without that there's a good chance McKenna would face some of these issues.
Some players nowadays wouldn't think SAF was of a high enough calibre of player to know what he was doing. Wonder how many of them will turn out to be top class managers.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Another manager laid to waste at the cleats of underperforming players.
:lol: Well over half of this team are his signings and/or players he has signed.

They’ve played his kamikaze tactics and his lack of rotation to a tee this season, and that’s what’s cost him the job. Not “underperforming players” Machiavellian schemers cackling as they end the life of another poor auld manager.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still a man doing a job and had rotten luck with injuries along with clown ownership.
Mitigating points that do not come close to override the simple fact that the overarching reason why he was sacked was down to his own ability (or lack thereof).

Biggins

So what was the point of keeping him until the end of season just for the news about his sacking to be leaked one day before our biggest game this season????

EireRed_GS

Who's they?
Any player that can turn it on and off when they feel like it. Any player that leaks stuff about manager when they are huffing about something. Any player that has blamed everyone around them and refused to look at themselves when underperforming. I could go on.

In general, any player that tends to disrupt things behind the scenes when they are not getting their own way. Any player that is happy to sit about see a manager sacked to see if their own situation can change, any player like that will likely do it again with the next manager. rinse repeat.

Ten hag has had plenty to answer for this season, but this season at Old trafford, its safe to say plenty in the ground around me are sick and tired of these players once and for all. Theyre getting away with it again

CtRafidah

Rinse and repeat. funny lot us united fans. standards, none, compassion or class or human touch nothing what so ever. Yeah shite season, but glad to see the toxicity is going strong while others progress.

you lot can come back to this bloody thread and posts when the MCKenna's, Carrick, Poch or who ever you decide to name is languish in 8th with a negative goal difference next season.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He has been terrible in every conceivable way. Tactically, fitness, physical preparation, transfers, man management. Shocking across the board. He 100% knew this was coming.

Maybe now him and the players can put the issues aside for one day and try to win.

EireRed_GS

I suppose a positive to take from this, is the next manager coming, almost certainly wont put up with Antony

That lad should be very worried about his future at the club

Status
Not open for further replies.